Centrelink recipients begging for ’real’ relief - see why living off this income is nearly impossible

The high cost of living is a harsh reality for those who live on a fixed fortnightly income.

In a previous report, the recent increase in Centrelink payments was discussed. While some pensioners welcomed this boost, many still find it challenging to make ends meet. The increase in payments has not kept up with the pace of inflation, leaving some pensioners in a tight financial situation.

This month, indexation will see the JobSeeker payment increase by $1.77 per day, but for many people – including 63-year-old Victorian Cliff Fraser – this won’t be enough.

Cliff, who lives north of Bridgewater, Victoria, has been receiving a fortnightly JobSeeker payment of around $560 since he lost his part-time job several weeks ago.

He has had an extensive work history, having held various roles such as a computer technician, pilot, cleaner, hospital orderly, and truck driver. However, his life took a turn in 2011 when he suffered a heart attack.

sydney-nsw-australia-june-14-260nw-1992002486.jpg copy.png
Jobseeker recipients are calling on Centrelink to provide ‘real boosts’ on their payments. Credit: Shutterstock.

Despite his experience in juggling different roles, Cliff is now struggling to make ends meet. As someone with a fixed income, it's clear that the payment is a lifeline for him, but unfortunately, it's too flimsy to provide him with a comfortable life.

Living about 40km away from Bendigo also means Cliff has to keep tabs on how much he spends on fuel whenever he needs to drive into town.

With rent in Bendigo far too expensive to consider, Cliff and his wife Anne (who receives the pension) can't even afford small pleasures.

Cliff said: ‘It is survival rates and that is all.’

‘We can't afford to run into town just because we're short of milk.’

Calls for the ‘real’ increase

For those on JobSeeker, monthly payments averaging around $50 a day remain woefully inadequate to cover even the most basic cost of living expenses.

With recent cost-of-living expenses skyrocketing, JobSeeker recipients are pleading for a ‘real’ increase to income support.

The Australian Council of Social Service (ACOSS) is now calling for the JobSeeker payment to be raised from around $50 a day to $73, which would align with the pension.

According to the group, the current system, which calculates payments based on the Consumer Price Index (CPI), needs to recognise the impact of deregulation and stagnant wage growth on income support payments.

Acting CEO Edwina MacDonald has spoken out about the harrowing stories of Jobseekers struggling to make ends meet - stories of regularly skipping mealtimes, going without essential medicines and struggling to pay the rent.

'It’s just not acceptable for us in a country like Australia to have a system that’s really forcing people further into poverty,' MacDonald said.

According to MacDonald, the situation has only worsened in the past year, with rent rising by 10 per cent and food and electricity bills increasing by 9 per cent.

More people are pleading for aid

Catherine Byrne, who works at Uniting Vic.Tas in Wodonga as the emergency relief coordinator, said that she had seen a startling 72 per cent increase in people demanding the organisation’s services this February.

These services include food, material aid, and financial counselling, all of which have become extremely important to the people she helps.

The people Byrne speaks to are understandably anxious and upset that the interest rates have been raised again, which unsurprisingly is being passed on from landlords to tenants and pushes people into housing stress.

'We try to stream them into financial counselling and those services to find any savings they may have,' Ms Byrne said.

And yet, no matter how talented people are at budgeting - it does not matter if there just is not enough money to go around.

According to Byrne, the current $2 per week increase to JobSeeker will not buy much.

'What is $2 going to buy you?' she questioned.

Key Takeaways
  • Many people who live on a fixed fortnightly income struggle to make ends meet, with the recent JobSeeker increase not enough to keep pace with inflation.
  • 63-year-old Victorian Cliff Fraser is one such person, receiving a fortnightly JobSeeker payment of $560.
  • The Australian Council of Social Services has called for the JobSeeker payment to be raised to $73 per day to bring it in line with the pension.
  • Emergency relief coordinator Catherine Byrne has seen a 72% increase in people seeking services, highlighting the need for more financial support for those on JobSeeker.

It’s an incredibly daunting reality, and one we shouldn’t be facing in a country like Australia. Proper support should be available for those who need it.

Members, if you’re struggling with a fixed income, please reach out for help. A financial counsellor can help you manage your money more effectively and take some of the burdens off your shoulders.

What are your thoughts on this? Better yet, can you relate to Cliff’s situation? Share your stories with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
SAlan lucky you, I am on a pension paying off a mortgage. With interest rates, power rates & food prices increasing most pensioners are struggling. Rental properties, where I live, if you don't own a home are on average $480.00 per week. There are no government housings available and the wait for one is many many years. How on earth can a person live on a pension? $960.00 per fortnight for rent then there are bills.....power phone, food, medications etc. As I said lucky you if you own your own home. Don't get me started on all the medications I need to keep me alive & kicking. There is very little to enjoy for most pensioners. I would love to own my home but that wont happen while I'm alive, can't even afford to buy a lotto ticket....

• Sad
Reactions: siameezer and Ricci
Dear Ricci,
I do not smoke or drink and am a pensioner, but I do sympathise with the people on job start, especially those married with children.
I live in a neighbourhood surrounded by public housing, and those people you talk about with tattoos, work and are kind caring parents.
You may have worked all you’e life, but you need to look in the mirror, you are a narrow minded self serving person.
God bless you,
Stinker.

• Wow
Dear Ricci,
I do not smoke or drink and am a pensioner, but I do sympathise with the people on job start, especially those married with children.
I live in a neighbourhood surrounded by public housing, and those people you talk about with tattoos, work and are kind caring parents.
You may have worked all you’e life, but you need to look in the mirror, you are a narrow minded self serving person.
God bless you,
Stinker.
Please don't ascribe those comments to me, it wasn't me who said them.
If you read my comments you will see I am more than sympathetic to the people on job start.

Apology accepted.

if you want help, first I would say get off your backside. AND do not smoke anything or drink alcohol. Tough, yes, and time for some wake-up calls. What time do these ones complaining get out of bed? do they do any community work? I guess not, just sit around and moan. I will grant not all but the majority yes!
No, the MINORITY ... in fact the VAST minority. I worked in welfare for two decades and the perception of people being "dole bludgers" is not only untrue it is a vile way to look at fellow citizens. Unless you have worked in welfare you are not qualified to judge people on benefits. People who denigrate them have swallowed the media's lies and I feel very sorry for them.

You GREEDY pack of lazy bastards, you will NEVER be happy until you get paid $1000 p/w. I am sooooooo sick of listening to whinge about how little money you get if it were up to me you wouldn't get hardly any money it would be vouchers then you couldn't get your TATTOO'S, SMOKES ALCOHOL, BRANDED CLOTHES, DRUGS. I have had an absolute gut full of you saying you can't live on Jobseeker or which ever hand out you are getting, NEWS FLASH IT'S NOT MEANT TO BE, get a JOB. You Lazy Bastards get $100 less than myself who worked my whole life and get the Retirement Pension HOW is that FAIR. If you are sick or disabled ok BUT the rest of you SHUT the F--K UP and GET A JOB.
Your comment is vile and does not belong here at all.

The high cost of living is a harsh reality for those who live on a fixed fortnightly income.

In a previous report, the recent increase in Centrelink payments was discussed. While some pensioners welcomed this boost, many still find it challenging to make ends meet. The increase in payments has not kept up with the pace of inflation, leaving some pensioners in a tight financial situation.

This month, indexation will see the JobSeeker payment increase by $1.77 per day, but for many people – including 63-year-old Victorian Cliff Fraser – this won’t be enough.

Cliff, who lives north of Bridgewater, Victoria, has been receiving a fortnightly JobSeeker payment of around $560 since he lost his part-time job several weeks ago.

He has had an extensive work history, having held various roles such as a computer technician, pilot, cleaner, hospital orderly, and truck driver. However, his life took a turn in 2011 when he suffered a heart attack.

View attachment 15209
Jobseeker recipients are calling on Centrelink to provide ‘real boosts’ on their payments. Credit: Shutterstock.

Despite his experience in juggling different roles, Cliff is now struggling to make ends meet. As someone with a fixed income, it's clear that the payment is a lifeline for him, but unfortunately, it's too flimsy to provide him with a comfortable life.

Living about 40km away from Bendigo also means Cliff has to keep tabs on how much he spends on fuel whenever he needs to drive into town.

With rent in Bendigo far too expensive to consider, Cliff and his wife Anne (who receives the pension) can't even afford small pleasures.

Cliff said: ‘It is survival rates and that is all.’

‘We can't afford to run into town just because we're short of milk.’

Calls for the ‘real’ increase

For those on JobSeeker, monthly payments averaging around $50 a day remain woefully inadequate to cover even the most basic cost of living expenses.

With recent cost-of-living expenses skyrocketing, JobSeeker recipients are pleading for a ‘real’ increase to income support.

The Australian Council of Social Service (ACOSS) is now calling for the JobSeeker payment to be raised from around $50 a day to $73, which would align with the pension.

According to the group, the current system, which calculates payments based on the Consumer Price Index (CPI), needs to recognise the impact of deregulation and stagnant wage growth on income support payments.

Acting CEO Edwina MacDonald has spoken out about the harrowing stories of Jobseekers struggling to make ends meet - stories of regularly skipping mealtimes, going without essential medicines and struggling to pay the rent.

'It’s just not acceptable for us in a country like Australia to have a system that’s really forcing people further into poverty,' MacDonald said.

According to MacDonald, the situation has only worsened in the past year, with rent rising by 10 per cent and food and electricity bills increasing by 9 per cent.

More people are pleading for aid

Catherine Byrne, who works at Uniting Vic.Tas in Wodonga as the emergency relief coordinator, said that she had seen a startling 72 per cent increase in people demanding the organisation’s services this February.

These services include food, material aid, and financial counselling, all of which have become extremely important to the people she helps.

The people Byrne speaks to are understandably anxious and upset that the interest rates have been raised again, which unsurprisingly is being passed on from landlords to tenants and pushes people into housing stress.

'We try to stream them into financial counselling and those services to find any savings they may have,' Ms Byrne said.

And yet, no matter how talented people are at budgeting - it does not matter if there just is not enough money to go around.

According to Byrne, the current $2 per week increase to JobSeeker will not buy much.

'What is $2 going to buy you?' she questioned.

Key Takeaways

• Many people who live on a fixed fortnightly income struggle to make ends meet, with the recent JobSeeker increase not enough to keep pace with inflation.
  • 63-year-old Victorian Cliff Fraser is one such person, receiving a fortnightly JobSeeker payment of $560.
  • The Australian Council of Social Services has called for the JobSeeker payment to be raised to $73 per day to bring it in line with the pension.
  • Emergency relief coordinator Catherine Byrne has seen a 72% increase in people seeking services, highlighting the need for more financial support for those on JobSeeker.

It’s an incredibly daunting reality, and one we shouldn’t be facing in a country like Australia. Proper support should be available for those who need it.

Members, if you’re struggling with a fixed income, please reach out for help. A financial counsellor can help you manage your money more effectively and take some of the burdens off your shoulders.

What are your thoughts on this? Better yet, can you relate to Cliff’s situation? Share your stories with us in the comments below.
I'd like to see ALL our Pollies, have to live on the pension/jobseeker for 3 months, and see how they fair. Maybe then, they would realise that what they are so magnanimously giving as an increase, is in fact, just a pittance.
Most people who are on a pension are because they have retired after spending there entire adult life, working and paying taxes, only to be treated like third rate citizens.

Update. For all that have chosen to have a go, I did state not everyone will agree. It is the system which is broken, not me. For those that have long term illness/disability that will forever prohibit them from working, the govt needs to change the rules around dsp & leave job seeker for the purpose it was originally intended. Toomany on job seeker due to lack of any options besides jobseeker or pension!

Sorry, but job seekers is not meant to be a payment you can comfortably live on. It's an emergency 'get by' payment & this article states its supporting necessities, but nothing left over for enjoyment. Some may disagree, but in my view it's done it's job at it's current level!
Basic human rights say we have the right to own property; the right to have desirable work and to join a trade union, which should put food on our table, a roof over our heads, and the ability to pay bills associated with doing these things. No way is this remotely possible, on government allowances.

if you want help, first I would say get off your backside. AND do not smoke anything or drink alcohol. Tough, yes, and time for some wake-up calls. What time do these ones complaining get out of bed? do they do any community work? I guess not, just sit around and moan. I will grant not all but the majority yes!
Judgemental Jest! not all are bludgers, don't be quick to judge. Its bloody hard these days for young one's. Back in our day we could walk out of a job and into another, these days you have to have a bloody degree and nobody wants people with no experience, how are they to get experience if nobody gives them a go. We live in a crap world!

We have to pay as well ..yes we get some cheaper things not that many of you think........job seekers buy some glasses read the local papers....then ring up OR OUT ON YOUR MARCHING SHOES...AND GET A JOB.....YOU CAN EVEN GET A 2ND JOB...WHEN SUITS THE TIMES YOU WORK...
FOR HEAVENS SAKE THE SO CALLED MIGRANTS AND 300.000 COMING ....BLAME GOVT.....THEN LOT OF JOBS SHALL GO ...BECAUSE THESE PEOPLE COME FROM POOR COUNTRIES....
GUESS WHAT.!!!!....THEY WILL RUN TO GET JOBS....YOU LOT HAPPY KEEP AUSTRALIA...WHO RECKON THEY CANT FIND A JOB.....BUY A BIG BOX OF TISSUES...AND KEEP WIPING YOUR MOUTH....WITH ALL THE ...C**P COMING OUT
Calm ya farm!

Many many people are in this situation.

I worked fulltime for many years and never ever thought I would be on centrelink.
Even when all my kids were young and we could have actually got more on centrelink I chose to work

But my how things can change . When you go in for a simple operation only to come out worst and far worst than before because of a negligent surgeon causing alot of pain and chronic infection for 2 years as well as anxiety and depression.

Needing to go on jobsearch was something I never ever thought I would do but here I am on it and needing to hand in a medical certificate every 3 months.

For those who say people chose this life, then think again. I struggle to mange on it.

Hubby doesn't work due to illness and now looking after me , he has never received a payment from centrelink at all

So we live on $600 a fortnight. We are blessed that we own our house and a couple of our kids pay our electricity and water bills.

But we are better off than some.

I've now applied for DSP and hubby will apply for careers but what I'm hearing I m not sure I will get it, even with many doctors and psychologists reports.

For those who criticises jobseeker recipients please don't as no one can survive on these measly payments and if I could go back to work I would jump at it

How much you can get​

There's no assets test for Carer Allowance but there is an income test.

on this page​

If you meet the Carer Allowance income test, your income doesn’t affect how much Carer Allowance you can get.

This payment doesn’t add to your taxable income.

The Department of Social Services review the payment rates on 1 January each year.

You may also get the Economic Support Payment. We’ll pay this into your bank account automatically.

If you’re providing care to someone 16 or older​

Carer Allowance is $144.80 each fortnight. There is no Health Care Card for the person you provide care for WHILE YOU WAIT FOR DSP AND CARER PENSION TO BE PROCESSED YOU CAN APPLY FOR CARER ALLOWANCE WHICH IS $144 A FORTNIGHT, NOT A LOT BUT SOME HELP AND THIS IS ABOVE THE CARER PENSION, SO YOU WOULD GET THIS PAYMENT, DSP AS WELL AS CARER PENSION

I'm on an Aged Care Pension and struggle to pay my rent of $857 p.f., food, bills and medical expenses. I had a small super ,but my husband ended up with dementia and most of my super went with him.
If your rent is so high you must be in private rental and eligible for rent assistance through centrelink, on th rent you pay you should get the full amount of $151 per fortnight.

Reactions: Ricci
You GREEDY pack of lazy bastards, you will NEVER be happy until you get paid $1000 p/w. I am sooooooo sick of listening to whinge about how little money you get if it were up to me you wouldn't get hardly any money it would be vouchers then you couldn't get your TATTOO'S, SMOKES ALCOHOL, BRANDED CLOTHES, DRUGS. I have had an absolute gut full of you saying you can't live on Jobseeker or which ever hand out you are getting, NEWS FLASH IT'S NOT MEANT TO BE, get a JOB. You Lazy Bastards get $100 less than myself who worked my whole life and get the Retirement Pension HOW is that FAIR. If you are sick or disabled ok BUT the rest of you SHUT the F--K UP and GET A JOB.
Seriously !! You may behave been one of those lucky ones who never got sick while working.

I worked my entire life upto a couple of years ago . Then the unthinkable happened I had surgery and the bustard of a surgeon botched a simple operation up that has left my life shattered.

I COULDNT AND NOW CANT WORK

you don't think I want to work , I'm 61 and thus a certainly not the way I wanted to finish work or go from a strong healthy woman to a shell if myself.

I lived on and used all my savings then I had no choice but to apply for centrelink, there is no such thing as sickness benefits its all under jobseeker.

How you think that anyone wants to or can live on $300 aweek beats me. You literally can't so why would any person continue to stay on it if they can work.
I agree the money shouldn't be spent in drugs and tattoos but then again that money wouldn't even cover the cost if tattoos.

There are people out there who rip the system off but it is a small minority.

You need to chose your wording and tone alittle better and try to have a little bit of compassion.
There are alot of people out there doing it tuff.

Seriously !! You may behave been one of those lucky ones who never got sick while working.

I worked my entire life upto a couple of years ago . Then the unthinkable happened I had surgery and the bustard of a surgeon botched a simple operation up that has left my life shattered.

I COULDNT AND NOW CANT WORK

you don't think I want to work , I'm 61 and thus a certainly not the way I wanted to finish work or go from a strong healthy woman to a shell if myself.

I lived on and used all my savings then I had no choice but to apply for centrelink, there is no such thing as sickness benefits its all under jobseeker.

How you think that anyone wants to or can live on $300 aweek beats me. You literally can't so why would any person continue to stay on it if they can work.
I agree the money shouldn't be spent in drugs and tattoos but then again that money wouldn't even cover the cost if tattoos.

There are people out there who rip the system off but it is a small minority.

You need to chose your wording and tone alittle better and try to have a little bit of compassion.
There are alot of people out there doing it tuff.
No body bothered to read the bit where I said if you are SICK or DISABLED OK. It is the ones who are capable and there are a LOT of them, they are the ones I'm talking about. MY OPINION, and it is not the MINORITY.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: Ricci and siameezer
My opinion, I have been to Centrelink enough times to see so many of these lazy people sitting around, have heard them talking about who give a toss about working we get payed anyway so it is what I personally have experienced and seen. I am sick of them expecting to be carried through life without lifting a finger they should be made to volunteer for their keep, at least do SOMETHING. And I know people with children who have this attitude. Too many bleeding hearts telling them it's ok when it is not. WORK that is how you get on in LIFE, and have some pride in yourself. I was on the Newstart for a little while and it is more than enough to get by on I even saved money and went on holidays, how I hear you say, easy I have pride in my self and I grow everything I can and make lots of things, so don't tell me it is a pittance.
That deflection is no excuse for your vile rant. I worked in welfare for over two decades and your attitude is sadly what destroys many people and you should be ashamed. The myth, and it IS a myth, about the majority of people being "dole bludgers" is spread by those who like to look down on others. You may have seen a few people with the attitude you allege to have witnessed but the VAST majority of people on benefits are normal folks trying to get by.
For you to say Newstart is more than enough to get by on is an unmitigated lie and you obviously do not know what it is like outside your little bubble. People can barely pay rent let alone feed themselves or pay for fuel/transport.

Reactions: Kaylee and Ricci
No body bothered to read the bit where I said if you are SICK or DISABLED OK. It is the ones who are capable and there are a LOT of them, they are the ones I'm talking about. MY OPINION, and it is not the MINORITY.
It IS the minority. I worked in the system for over 20 years so I have experience working with people on benefits ... all you have to go on is your hatred of people less fortunate than yourself.

Reactions: Kaylee and Ricci
That deflection is no excuse for your vile rant. I worked in welfare for over two decades and your attitude is sadly what destroys many people and you should be ashamed. The myth, and it IS a myth, about the majority of people being "dole bludgers" is spread by those who like to look down on others. You may have seen a few people with the attitude you allege to have witnessed but the VAST majority of people on benefits are normal folks trying to get by.
For you to say Newstart is more than enough to get by on is an unmitigated lie and you obviously do not know what it is like outside your little bubble. People can barely pay rent let alone feed themselves or pay for fuel/transport.
Your opinion, that's fine, and I have mine as a Democratic Society allows. No deflection intended.

• Sad
It IS the minority. I worked in the system for over 20 years so I have experience working with people on benefits ... all you have to go on is your hatred of people less fortunate than yourself.
You are very judgemental of me what a pity, I am the sort of person that Drives a Community Car and takes the elderly to their Doctors appointments, feeds the neighbourhood pets when there owners go on holidays for FREE, because of my Love of animals, will sit with animals that have been hit by cars until Wildlife people come, walk my friends dogs while they are at work, so your opinion of me means absolutely nothing because I KNOW that I am one of the exceptionally GOOD hearted people who HELPS so many people I can't count to get to places when they need help oh yeh I GIVE BLOOD AS WELL, and have also saved somebodies LIFE, so really you do know where you can put your opinion. It is the lazy ones who have NOTHING to contribute to Society that I have NO TIME FOR or CARE ABOUT. 😊

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Angry
You are very judgemental of me what a pity, I am the sort of person that Drives a Community Car and takes the elderly to their Doctors appointments, feeds the neighbourhood pets when there owners go on holidays for FREE, because of my Love of animals, will sit with animals that have been hit by cars until Wildlife people come, walk my friends dogs while they are at work, so your opinion of me means absolutely nothing because I KNOW that I am one of the exceptionally GOOD hearted people who HELPS so many people I can't count to get to places when they need help oh yeh I GIVE BLOOD AS WELL, and have also saved somebodies LIFE, so really you do know where you can put your opinion. It is the lazy ones who have NOTHING to contribute to Society that I have NO TIME FOR or CARE ABOUT. 😊
More deflection ... you are trying to justify your nasty rant which a few people have pulled you up over. Just Stop.