Centrelink customers reveal months of frustrating call hang ups—are you one of them?

For many Australians, Centrelink plays a vital role in providing income support, family assistance payments, and other essential services.

But lately, customers have become increasingly frustrated as long wait times and dropped calls become the norm when trying to contact the agency.

This is not just an inconvenience, but a significant issue for those who rely on Centrelink.

One disability support pensioner, Kathy Parrey, noticed last month that her disability support pension had stopped.

Due to her disability, she is unable to visit a Centrelink office and has been trying to get through on the phone for four weeks.

SDC 4.png
Centrelink customers reported that their calls are being hung up on. Image source: Shutterstock.

Kathy's experience is not unique. She's one of many Australians who claim they can't get through to Centrelink, regardless of how many times they call.

'If you don't choose the automation process, the next thing you get is, “Well, we're very busy, goodbye”…and you're just cut off,' she said.

'You can ring 20, 30, 40, 50 times a day, it doesn't matter.'

Bernadette Lohrey-Toms and her husband Peter share a similar story.

The couple, currently travelling from Queensland to Melbourne to visit family after Peter's retirement, expected that the application for the pension would be a straightforward process.

However, they were told they would have to wait five months.

'He's 69 years old, he's worked his whole life, he's never claimed Centrelink ever, and he's told also five months,' Bernadette shared.

'I don't understand why they're not being funded adequately (enough) that they can at least answer the telephone.'

General Manager of Services Australia, Hank Jongen, defended the five-month wait to get on the pension, saying, 'Look, age pension is a payment, where we're putting someone onto a payment for life.'

'And what that means is that we need to be absolutely certain that we have all the information validated.'

However, he admitted that the current customer delays in accessing government welfare were 'not acceptable'.

'We're in a situation where, despite the best efforts of our staff, our customers are waiting longer to have their payments processed than they should be,' Jongen added.

'There's no question that this is [a] disadvantage [for] some of our customers. It's a matter of grave concern for us.'

The impact of these delays and hang-ups is far-reaching.

Dr Domenique Meyrick from Financial Counselling Australia shared that its counsellors are experiencing an overflow of calls from people waiting on welfare help.

'It's really unfortunate to have a system that's designed to help, actually causing harm or increasing harm. It's making life more difficult for people,' Dr Meyrick said.

Services Australia is currently sitting on 1.1 million unprocessed claims, but Jongen said it has onboarded 3000 new staff to get through the backlog.

'3000 staff is a significant number of staff to bring on board…and in fact, we've recruited closer to 5000,' Jongen said.

Charlotte McKay is one of the new starters and has just completed two months of intensive training.

'It's always busy, we are working as hard as we can, as efficiently as we can to get things done,' she said.

Services Australia hopes to reduce the number of unprocessed claims by half, which may also reduce the number of people needing to call in.

'Current delays are not acceptable, and we are very conscious of that,' Jongen reiterated.

'And we feel that once those staff are brought on board, the situation will improve.'

'It's always disappointing to hear the stories of our customers' experiences but those disappointments are shared by our staff.'

'Make no mistake, the staff in this organisation are focused on and committed to providing the best quality service.'

In the meantime, customers like Kathy are left to navigate the system as best they can. Kathy has since hired a carer to accompany her to a Centrelink office to get her issue sorted.

In similar news, data presented by Services Australia revealed that approximately 7,444,939 calls to the agency received a congestion message in the year to the end of December.

This means that these calls were not answered but instead were directed to a voicemail system.

In addition to this, over 2 million calls were reportedly terminated by customers, likely due to long wait times.

You can read more about this here.
Key Takeaways

• Centrelink customers are experiencing prolonged delays and claim they are being hung up on during phone calls.
  • Disability support pensioner Kathy Parrey has had her payments stopped and is struggling to get through to Centrelink for resolution.
  • Services Australia General Manager Hank Jongen admits the delays in processing welfare payments are not acceptable and have disadvantaged customers.
  • Services Australia has hired 3000 new members of staff, with the aim of reducing the backlog of 1.1 million unprocessed claims to improve service and help alleviate the need for customers to call in.
Have you had a similar experience with Centrelink? Share your story in the comments below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
We have been reading for months now about these extra 3000 new staff !! Where are they ? Have they been employed yet ? Have they been trained?

I needed to call centrelink last week, I called at 9 am and was told due to the long wait I would have to call back at another time, when I tried calling several times throughout the day I was told the same thing except in the beginning it said they knew I was trying to get through.

I have found you need to call at 8 am exactly, that is the only time I can get through .

The man told me I made it through the medical part , that was all clear and now I need to speak to the the job capacity team , which he was trying to hurry up. This is the area that stuffed up last time.

trying to get through on the phone is ridiculous. The ATO is just as bad. I have been trying to call the ATO for months, all I ever get is a msg stating they are busy, call back later, then plonk, down goes the phone. I went to my local services Australia office yesterday and the man who was dealing with us clients was rude, arrogant, very unhelpful. It was like he couldn’t be bothered, I’m guessing he is only there for the pay packet. He is a new employee to this office, not sure how long he has been in the job, he is middle aged. He is not the kind of person anyone with high needs, mental issues or such needs to be confronted with. I did put in a complainonline after I returned home, but don’t expect it will even be looked at.
Further to my asking why new pensioners are getting a $4000 work bonus, I asked my local federal my, he stated it is because the rest of us pensioners got an extra $4000 last year. I have now asked if it is a one off, only available for 13 months then lost if not used. I also stated I know a couple of new pensioners who got it and I will be checking with them to see if it is a one off. I also asked how Centrelink are going to monitor this given that there will be so many new pensioners with staggered start date, therefore staggered end dates. I also asked why hubby and I are treated as a couple with combined assets, my income affects both our pensions, but his work bonus can only be used by him. The MP is going to ask the question of the minister responsible for Centrelink. He hasn’t replied to me about this or the work bonus being a one off yet.

• Angry
Reactions: DLHM
We have been reading for months now about these extra 3000 new staff !! Where are they ? Have they been employed yet ? Have they been trained?

I needed to call centrelink last week, I called at 9 am and was told due to the long wait I would have to call back at another time, when I tried calling several times throughout the day I was told the same thing except in the beginning it said they knew I was trying to get through.

I have found you need to call at 8 am exactly, that is the only time I can get through .

The man told me I made it through the medical part , that was all clear and now I need to speak to the the job capacity team , which he was trying to hurry up. This is the area that stuffed up last time.
🙏🙏🙏

Been hearing the same old excuse for so long it's beginning to run a bit thin.
5000 new employees,should be well trained by now. A backlog
of one million. applications, that's 200 applications each in my estimation, not withstanding all the original staff. If they only processed ten applications each a day, that would clear the backlog in four weeks.
Just how slow do they work. Maybe they should hire a team
of snails or perhaps tortoises, I'm positive they could work faster.
Having done many temp office jobs, in various public service departments,many years ago, it appears that nothing has improved.

New staff we’ll be waiting a while they are still in nappies🤣

Oh yes!! We have requested 4 TIMES Centrelink documents,given receipt numbers but they have NEVER turned up! So have then rung them continually and keep getting disconnected!
Something is terribly wrong here!
PLEASE FIX IT NOW!!

Kathy is lucky she has enough money to hire a support worker to take her to Centrelink so many of the people trying to contact them probably have nothing. This really is disgusting the Gov should hang their heads in shame , not that they care. They just let more and more people into the country when there isn’t the infrastructure to cope !

We have been waiting for an age pension now for close to 6 months. I got so frustrated trying to connect with Centrelink and then when I did was not happy with their advice. I ended up paying $400 to an aged pension company who now look after everything for us, which means I don't have to deal directly with Centrelink - a major win and is also protecting my mental health - haha

Sick of the same talk..'we are aware', 'we are doing our best', 'we've put on more staff' etc etc...but things keep getting worse!
The current situation is untenable. Thousands of experienced staff were laid off under the previous government, and now many now don't have the necessary knowledge /experience to deal with and process situations.

I worked in the public service in the distant past, there was always a 'go slow' attitude and work ethic, in fact it was encouraged! This is no longer acceptable, but seems to have been carried through.
That being said, my own experiences when dealing with Clink staff for any issues has been ok, apart from being non contactable by phone 99.9% of the time.
No more excuses, this situation MUST be addressed urgently.

Last edited:
This is disgusting service (non-service). The Labor Govt promised to increase call-centre staff and Services Australia staff generally. It's gone backwards rather than improve. Another Labor broken promise.

We have similar issues getting through, though not quite as lengthy a wait.

Sometimes it's easier to go into an office in person or upload documents and update your status on-line, as best you can, wait and hope for the best!

Not good enough...by far!

I also have been dealing with this issue because of aging parents and wasting so much time trying to get through. I work nearly full time and trying to deal with their issues with Nursing Home Services Australia is so stressful. I have had to resort at times going to the federal member and getting help from them to get access. I just walk with the phone attached to me ear shopping etc just waiting for some one to respond

Reactions: Gsr