Celtic Football Fans Cause Controversy with ‘Anti-Monarchy’ Chant During Scottish Cup Final - Here’s What Happened

The coronation of King Charles III has been a highly anticipated event worldwide. Last Saturday, world leaders, celebrities, and members of the public gathered to celebrate and pledge allegiance to the newly crowned King of the United Kingdom.

As previously reported, people from around the world were invited to participate in the 'Homage of the People' for King Charles III's coronation.

However, not all supported the new monarch, and some took the opportunity to voice their opinions.

Loyal to their team and undoubtedly proud of their Scottish heritage, Celtic Football Club fans captured international attention as they took a stand against King Charles during the Scottish Cup Final.

This thrilling game saw the Celtic’s clinch a nail-biting 1-0 victory over their rivals, Rangers. However, it wasn't just the match results that made headlines.

Unapologetically loud and fervent chants proclaiming, 'You can shove your coronation up your a**e' echoed throughout the stadium, turning more than a few heads.

One video of the chant gained significant traction online, with more than 3.2 million views so far.

The fiery lyrics divided opinions worldwide, sparking both support and criticism.

Miss Universe Mauritius, Ameeksha Dilchand, posted: 'The videos of people singing “You can shove your coronation up your a*se,” a few before His coronation, is something.'

Aussie football journalist Ray Gatt found humour in the situation, tweeting: ‘This is fantastic!'

1683509634171.png
Celtic fans expressed their dissent to King Charles III’s coronation as the new monarch. Credit: Twitter/Fox2News.

On the other hand, confrontational broadcaster Piers Morgan slammed the fans as anti-monarchists.

He said: 'Well, utterly charming, of course, as ever, from Celtic fans.’

‘But that’s what they’ve always been like towards our monarchy, and I have a similar view of Celtic fans, so all’s fair in love and war.’

‘All those who desire can get involved, all those who don’t can keep their big gobs shut or change the channel, or go and watch Celtic.'

The chant controversy occurred despite Celtic's Australian coach, Ange Postecoglou, urging fans to show respect.

The controversial chant gained traction online after it was reported that 52 protestors were arrested in London.

During the coronation of King Charles III, the police arrested the leader of an anti-monarchy group and 51 other protesters.

The police stated that they deemed it necessary to prevent any potential disruption, which they believed superseded the right to protest.

In a statement, Commander Karen Findlay of the London Metropolitan Police said: ‘We absolutely understand public concern following the arrests we made this morning.’

‘Over the past 24 hours, there has been a significant police operation after we received information protesters were determined to disrupt the coronation procession.’

While the number of protesters was small compared to the large crowds who came out to support the king, polls indicate a declining level of support for the monarchy, particularly among young people.

In Scotland, there has been a noticeable decline in support for the Royal Family in recent years. According to polls, approval rates are approximately 10 per cent lower in Scotland compared to other regions of the UK.

A study conducted by British market research firm YouGov revealed that young individuals aged 16-49 were in favour of Scotland ditching the monarchy, opting instead for an elected head of state.

Scotland's evolving political climate has also contributed to these sentiments, specifically the resentment caused by the country's forced inclusion in Brexit despite unanimous council support for remaining in the 2016 referendum.

Scotland's new First Minister, Humza Yousaf, has passionately vowed to deliver independence for Scotland, reigniting the debate over the country's relationship with the UK.

Almost a decade has passed since Scots narrowly voted to stay in the UK with a 55-45 margin.

Current polling suggests an even tighter race, with the youth overwhelmingly supporting the move away from the UK.

Key Takeaways
  • Celtic Football Club fans have made headlines for chanting against King Charles' coronation during the Scottish Cup Final.
  • The chant gained traction online with both support and criticism from various personalities, including Piers Morgan.
  • The controversial chant highlights the underlying political tension and declining support for the monarchy in Scotland, particularly among young people.

So, while the monarchy and sports may seem worlds apart, this contentious incident has illuminated the underlying political tension that continues to shape the relationship between Scotland and the UK.

It all goes to show that, when it comes to the monarchy, even in this modern day and age, people still have very strong opinions about it - for better or for worse.

What are your thoughts on this, members? Are you shocked about the public’s reaction to King Charles III’s coronation or would you have joined the chant? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Glasgow Celtic football fans are overwhelmingly Catholic, and therefore have always been anti-monarchy. Glasgow Rangers are overwhelming Protestant, and their rivalry is more than just football rivalry. It’s reprehensible that this sort of sectarianism still goes on.

People just expressing their views.

He should never have been made King and Camilla definitely not Queen they are both Adulterers
And so said a real dick head who thinks they would prefer another form of Government madly thinking that a Republican style of government-think USA-is better then a Monarchist-think the UK, Scotland, Wales and the other 1/3 of the worlds population.

yes he should Not be king for the way he treated his first wife she was only used to give him children
A little known fact - because it was kept quiet by the Royal Family - is that Diana was stepping out on Charles for quite a while before Charles and Camilla rekindled their relationship. Everyone knows about James Hewitt, whom many believe to be Harry’s father (I don’t), but he was one of several.

Diana had a habit of looking sideways at people with her head bowed. Many thought that was cute and showed how shy she was. I saw it as a manipulative tool.

And so said a real dick head who thinks they would prefer another form of Government madly thinking that a Republican style of government-think USA-is better then a Monarchist-think the UK, Scotland, Wales and the other 1/3 of the worlds population.
Do you have no friends or family who’ve stepped out on their partner? I in no way condone adultery, but I can’t believe how willing people are to throw mud at others, when it’s 10 to one on, that they have friends and/or family who do whatever it is they're judging others for.

I would have expected little more of Celtic supporters, they are almost exclusively staunch Catholics and Charles vowed to uphold Protestantism at his coronation. Prior to the death off Charles I, it didn't matter which side you were in, you were done for if the King/Queen of the day was of the opposite persuasion. Both Rangers and Celtic FC have simply taken the ongoing "war" to the stadium.

In Britain, our family lived there 56 years ago, there is a day set apart for what is called the Orange Walk. Essentially, it is an annual march to celebrate the ascension of King William, as a Protestant monarch. There is also a Catholic day when they march to rejoice in their Catholicism. It is quite incredible that these marches still continue to this day and it is not helpful at all in trying to bridge the divide between these two religious groups.
Like the last person to comment, I also don't think the UK would be served any better by the establishment of a republic. Quite the opposite. I suspect the increase in support for a republic is due to the changing face of Britain, more than anything. Those with no personal history there are not likely to be pro monarchy.

As for adultery being an act that removes the right of a person to sit on the throne, British society is full of people who do that, as are other countries. If one is looking for perfection then there will never be a King/Queen, Head of State or PM for that matter who is truly worthy. There are questions around Rishi Sunak's financial affairs that quite possibly eliminate him on the basis of lack of integrity and honesty, sins which have a greater negative affect in terms of governance, I think. We are all fallible!

In the end, everyone should have a high degree of respect for this historically important event; it is part of the fabric of British life and has been for centuries. If someone doesn't like it then move on.

I would have expected little more of Celtic supporters, they are almost exclusively staunch Catholics and Charles vowed to uphold Protestantism at his coronation. Prior to the death off Charles I, it didn't matter which side you were in, you were done for if the King/Queen of the day was of the opposite persuasion. Both Rangers and Celtic FC have simply taken the ongoing "war" to the stadium.

In Britain, our family lived there 56 years ago, there is a day set apart for what is called the Orange Walk. Essentially, it is an annual march to celebrate the ascension of King William, as a Protestant monarch. There is also a Catholic day when they march to rejoice in their Catholicism. It is quite incredible that these marches still continue to this day and it is not helpful at all in trying to bridge the divide between these two religious groups.
Like the last person to comment, I also don't think the UK would be served any better by the establishment of a republic. Quite the opposite. I suspect the increase in support for a republic is due to the changing face of Britain, more than anything. Those with no personal history there are not likely to be pro monarchy.

As for adultery being an act that removes the right of a person to sit on the throne, British society is full of people who do that, as are other countries. If one is looking for perfection then there will never be a King/Queen, Head of State or PM for that matter who is truly worthy. There are questions around Rishi Sunak's financial affairs that quite possibly eliminate him on the basis of lack of integrity and honesty, sins which have a greater negative affect in terms of governance, I think. We are all fallible!

In the end, everyone should have a high degree of respect for this historically important event; it is part of the fabric of British life and has been for centuries. If someone doesn't like it then move on.
When you view the world now and see which countries are the happiest and safest, they are mostly
Monarchies, i.e. The Nethlands, Sweden, Denmark, Belgium, Spain, Australia, New Zealand et al. Then look at countries with President, Dictators, i.e. USA, China, Russia, North Vietnam... I know which I prefer.

The Royals have always been known to have affairs going way back in their ancestry. The Queen's Prince Phillip was known to have a few affairs. He often went away. Apparently, the story goes that's why Edward was born when Phillip returned, as having a longer gap between Andrew and Edward.
Funnily enough, my husband's good friend is related to the Royals, through an ancestor in Prince Frederick Louis of Wales, eldest son of George II through illegitimate son Richard Parkinson who's father was Duke Christian II of Denmark. Richard Parkinson moved to New Guinea.
Our good friend's niece is currently married to Irish singer Ronan Keating. They met in Sydney and live in London.

I totally agree with you Monty I am a Royalist and always will be, how many of us humans have committed adultery for some reason or other, as it says in the bible who so ever is without sin cast the first stone, and I think there would hardly be any that have not sinned, we are only human, and King Charles true love is the wife that he has now, they suit each other, and I believe they will make a good King and Queen.

The coronation of King Charles III has been a highly anticipated event worldwide. Last Saturday, world leaders, celebrities, and members of the public gathered to celebrate and pledge allegiance to the newly crowned King of the United Kingdom.

As previously reported, people from around the world were invited to participate in the 'Homage of the People' for King Charles III's coronation.

However, not all supported the new monarch, and some took the opportunity to voice their opinions.

Loyal to their team and undoubtedly proud of their Scottish heritage, Celtic Football Club fans captured international attention as they took a stand against King Charles during the Scottish Cup Final.

This thrilling game saw the Celtic’s clinch a nail-biting 1-0 victory over their rivals, Rangers. However, it wasn't just the match results that made headlines.

Unapologetically loud and fervent chants proclaiming, 'You can shove your coronation up your a**e' echoed throughout the stadium, turning more than a few heads.

One video of the chant gained significant traction online, with more than 3.2 million views so far.

The fiery lyrics divided opinions worldwide, sparking both support and criticism.

Miss Universe Mauritius, Ameeksha Dilchand, posted: 'The videos of people singing “You can shove your coronation up your a*se,” a few before His coronation, is something.'

Aussie football journalist Ray Gatt found humour in the situation, tweeting: ‘This is fantastic!'

View attachment 19246
Celtic fans expressed their dissent to King Charles III’s coronation as the new monarch. Credit: Twitter/Fox2News.

On the other hand, confrontational broadcaster Piers Morgan slammed the fans as anti-monarchists.

He said: 'Well, utterly charming, of course, as ever, from Celtic fans.’

‘But that’s what they’ve always been like towards our monarchy, and I have a similar view of Celtic fans, so all’s fair in love and war.’

‘All those who desire can get involved, all those who don’t can keep their big gobs shut or change the channel, or go and watch Celtic.'

The chant controversy occurred despite Celtic's Australian coach, Ange Postecoglou, urging fans to show respect.

The controversial chant gained traction online after it was reported that 52 protestors were arrested in London.

During the coronation of King Charles III, the police arrested the leader of an anti-monarchy group and 51 other protesters.

The police stated that they deemed it necessary to prevent any potential disruption, which they believed superseded the right to protest.

In a statement, Commander Karen Findlay of the London Metropolitan Police said: ‘We absolutely understand public concern following the arrests we made this morning.’

‘Over the past 24 hours, there has been a significant police operation after we received information protesters were determined to disrupt the coronation procession.’

While the number of protesters was small compared to the large crowds who came out to support the king, polls indicate a declining level of support for the monarchy, particularly among young people.

In Scotland, there has been a noticeable decline in support for the Royal Family in recent years. According to polls, approval rates are approximately 10 per cent lower in Scotland compared to other regions of the UK.

A study conducted by British market research firm YouGov revealed that young individuals aged 16-49 were in favour of Scotland ditching the monarchy, opting instead for an elected head of state.

Scotland's evolving political climate has also contributed to these sentiments, specifically the resentment caused by the country's forced inclusion in Brexit despite unanimous council support for remaining in the 2016 referendum.

Scotland's new First Minister, Humza Yousaf, has passionately vowed to deliver independence for Scotland, reigniting the debate over the country's relationship with the UK.

Almost a decade has passed since Scots narrowly voted to stay in the UK with a 55-45 margin.

Current polling suggests an even tighter race, with the youth overwhelmingly supporting the move away from the UK.

Key Takeaways

• Celtic Football Club fans have made headlines for chanting against King Charles' coronation during the Scottish Cup Final.
  • The chant gained traction online with both support and criticism from various personalities, including Piers Morgan.
  • The controversial chant highlights the underlying political tension and declining support for the monarchy in Scotland, particularly among young people.

So, while the monarchy and sports may seem worlds apart, this contentious incident has illuminated the underlying political tension that continues to shape the relationship between Scotland and the UK.

It all goes to show that, when it comes to the monarchy, even in this modern day and age, people still have very strong opinions about it - for better or for worse.

What are your thoughts on this, members? Are you shocked about the public’s reaction to King Charles III’s coronation or would you have joined the chant? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

I echo Piers Morgans views. Where has it got them, absolutely nowhere. The coronation is over the King and Queen are established, so there little rude gestures are meaningless.

I totally agree with you Monty I am a Royalist and always will be, how many of us humans have committed adultery for some reason or other, as it says in the bible who so ever is without sin cast the first stone, and I think there would hardly be any that have not sinned, we are only human, and King Charles true love is the wife that he has now, they suit each other, and I believe they will make a good King and Queen.
thank you for this lovely comment.

The Royals have always been known to have affairs going way back in their ancestry. The Queen's Prince Phillip was known to have a few affairs. He often went away. Apparently, the story goes that's why Edward was born when Phillip returned, as having a longer gap between Andrew and Edward.
Funnily enough, my husband's good friend is related to the Royals, through an ancestor in Prince Frederick Louis of Wales, eldest son of George II through illegitimate son Richard Parkinson who's father was Duke Christian II of Denmark. Richard Parkinson moved to New Guinea.
Our good friend's niece is currently married to Irish singer Ronan Keating. They met in Sydney and live in London.
what a load of rubbish.

Reactions: Jarred Santos
yes he should Not be king for the way he treated his first wife she was only used to give him children
That is a bit extreme. Don't forget that we do not know exactly what went on in their relationship. Sometimes we should understand that perceived reality may not be correct. Also please be aware that relationships break down due to numerous reasons, so stating that she was only used to give him children is somewhat presumptuous. You could be correct but do we know all the circumstances of their marriage?
Have a great day.

A little known fact - because it was kept quiet by the Royal Family - is that Diana was stepping out on Charles for quite a while before Charles and Camilla rekindled their relationship. Everyone knows about James Hewitt, whom many believe to be Harry’s father (I don’t), but he was one of several.

Diana had a habit of looking sideways at people with her head bowed. Many thought that was cute and showed how shy she was. I saw it as a manipulative tool.
a joy to read. I have said the same thing for years. that coy look from the eyes was sickening. It was I will get you no matter what! with her.

they were together 50 years ago. i do not call that adultery. remember there was an adulteress as well ie Diana.