Celtic Football Fans Cause Controversy with ‘Anti-Monarchy’ Chant During Scottish Cup Final - Here’s What Happened

The coronation of King Charles III has been a highly anticipated event worldwide. Last Saturday, world leaders, celebrities, and members of the public gathered to celebrate and pledge allegiance to the newly crowned King of the United Kingdom.

As previously reported, people from around the world were invited to participate in the 'Homage of the People' for King Charles III's coronation.

However, not all supported the new monarch, and some took the opportunity to voice their opinions.

Loyal to their team and undoubtedly proud of their Scottish heritage, Celtic Football Club fans captured international attention as they took a stand against King Charles during the Scottish Cup Final.

This thrilling game saw the Celtic’s clinch a nail-biting 1-0 victory over their rivals, Rangers. However, it wasn't just the match results that made headlines.

Unapologetically loud and fervent chants proclaiming, 'You can shove your coronation up your a**e' echoed throughout the stadium, turning more than a few heads.

One video of the chant gained significant traction online, with more than 3.2 million views so far.

The fiery lyrics divided opinions worldwide, sparking both support and criticism.

Miss Universe Mauritius, Ameeksha Dilchand, posted: 'The videos of people singing “You can shove your coronation up your a*se,” a few before His coronation, is something.'

Aussie football journalist Ray Gatt found humour in the situation, tweeting: ‘This is fantastic!'

1683509634171.png
Celtic fans expressed their dissent to King Charles III’s coronation as the new monarch. Credit: Twitter/Fox2News.

On the other hand, confrontational broadcaster Piers Morgan slammed the fans as anti-monarchists.

He said: 'Well, utterly charming, of course, as ever, from Celtic fans.’

‘But that’s what they’ve always been like towards our monarchy, and I have a similar view of Celtic fans, so all’s fair in love and war.’

‘All those who desire can get involved, all those who don’t can keep their big gobs shut or change the channel, or go and watch Celtic.'

The chant controversy occurred despite Celtic's Australian coach, Ange Postecoglou, urging fans to show respect.

The controversial chant gained traction online after it was reported that 52 protestors were arrested in London.

During the coronation of King Charles III, the police arrested the leader of an anti-monarchy group and 51 other protesters.

The police stated that they deemed it necessary to prevent any potential disruption, which they believed superseded the right to protest.

In a statement, Commander Karen Findlay of the London Metropolitan Police said: ‘We absolutely understand public concern following the arrests we made this morning.’

‘Over the past 24 hours, there has been a significant police operation after we received information protesters were determined to disrupt the coronation procession.’

While the number of protesters was small compared to the large crowds who came out to support the king, polls indicate a declining level of support for the monarchy, particularly among young people.

In Scotland, there has been a noticeable decline in support for the Royal Family in recent years. According to polls, approval rates are approximately 10 per cent lower in Scotland compared to other regions of the UK.

A study conducted by British market research firm YouGov revealed that young individuals aged 16-49 were in favour of Scotland ditching the monarchy, opting instead for an elected head of state.

Scotland's evolving political climate has also contributed to these sentiments, specifically the resentment caused by the country's forced inclusion in Brexit despite unanimous council support for remaining in the 2016 referendum.

Scotland's new First Minister, Humza Yousaf, has passionately vowed to deliver independence for Scotland, reigniting the debate over the country's relationship with the UK.

Almost a decade has passed since Scots narrowly voted to stay in the UK with a 55-45 margin.

Current polling suggests an even tighter race, with the youth overwhelmingly supporting the move away from the UK.

Key Takeaways
  • Celtic Football Club fans have made headlines for chanting against King Charles' coronation during the Scottish Cup Final.
  • The chant gained traction online with both support and criticism from various personalities, including Piers Morgan.
  • The controversial chant highlights the underlying political tension and declining support for the monarchy in Scotland, particularly among young people.

So, while the monarchy and sports may seem worlds apart, this contentious incident has illuminated the underlying political tension that continues to shape the relationship between Scotland and the UK.

It all goes to show that, when it comes to the monarchy, even in this modern day and age, people still have very strong opinions about it - for better or for worse.

What are your thoughts on this, members? Are you shocked about the public’s reaction to King Charles III’s coronation or would you have joined the chant? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
I am catholic and Australian. I love the Royals. I worry at times when there talk of our country being Republic. I really enjoyed the coronation, it was lovely. I'll probably never see a coronation again so I thoroughly enjoyed it as it is a part of history.

A little known fact - because it was kept quiet by the Royal Family - is that Diana was stepping out on Charles for quite a while before Charles and Camilla rekindled their relationship. Everyone knows about James Hewitt, whom many believe to be Harry’s father (I don’t), but he was one of several.

Diana had a habit of looking sideways at people with her head bowed. Many thought that was cute and showed how shy she was. I saw it as a manipulative tool.
I totally agree I have said that so many times she never looked people in the eye always lowered her eyes. Never trustworthy. I was never a fan of Diana for that reason.

Isn't it easy to sling mud at dead people. Remember, it is those who are remaining telling the tales whether they be true or not, and here we are gossiping about a twenty year old saga yet again. Who are we to make judgment, remember Hollywood feeds off of these Peyton Place goings on and we'll pay to see it.

Reactions: Jarred Santos
The coronation of King Charles III has been a highly anticipated event worldwide. Last Saturday, world leaders, celebrities, and members of the public gathered to celebrate and pledge allegiance to the newly crowned King of the United Kingdom.

As previously reported, people from around the world were invited to participate in the 'Homage of the People' for King Charles III's coronation.

However, not all supported the new monarch, and some took the opportunity to voice their opinions.

Loyal to their team and undoubtedly proud of their Scottish heritage, Celtic Football Club fans captured international attention as they took a stand against King Charles during the Scottish Cup Final.

This thrilling game saw the Celtic’s clinch a nail-biting 1-0 victory over their rivals, Rangers. However, it wasn't just the match results that made headlines.

Unapologetically loud and fervent chants proclaiming, 'You can shove your coronation up your a**e' echoed throughout the stadium, turning more than a few heads.

One video of the chant gained significant traction online, with more than 3.2 million views so far.

The fiery lyrics divided opinions worldwide, sparking both support and criticism.

Miss Universe Mauritius, Ameeksha Dilchand, posted: 'The videos of people singing “You can shove your coronation up your a*se,” a few before His coronation, is something.'

Aussie football journalist Ray Gatt found humour in the situation, tweeting: ‘This is fantastic!'

View attachment 19246
Celtic fans expressed their dissent to King Charles III’s coronation as the new monarch. Credit: Twitter/Fox2News.

On the other hand, confrontational broadcaster Piers Morgan slammed the fans as anti-monarchists.

‘But that’s what they’ve always been like towards our monarchy, and I have a similar view of Celtic fans, so all’s fair in love and war.’

‘All those who desire can get involved, all those who don’t can keep their big gobs shut or change the channel, or go and watch Celtic.'

The chant controversy occurred despite Celtic's Australian coach, Ange Postecoglou, urging fans to show respect.

The controversial chant gained traction online after it was reported that 52 protestors were arrested in London.

During the coronation of King Charles III, the police arrested the leader of an anti-monarchy group and 51 other protesters.

The police stated that they deemed it necessary to prevent any potential disruption, which they believed superseded the right to protest.

In a statement, Commander Karen Findlay of the London Metropolitan Police said: ‘We absolutely understand public concern following the arrests we made this morning.’

‘Over the past 24 hours, there has been a significant police operation after we received information protesters were determined to disrupt the coronation procession.’

While the number of protesters was small compared to the large crowds who came out to support the king, polls indicate a declining level of support for the monarchy, particularly among young people.

In Scotland, there has been a noticeable decline in support for the Royal Family in recent years. According to polls, approval rates are approximately 10 per cent lower in Scotland compared to other regions of the UK.

A study conducted by British market research firm YouGov revealed that young individuals aged 16-49 were in favour of Scotland ditching the monarchy, opting instead for an elected head of state.

Scotland's evolving political climate has also contributed to these sentiments, specifically the resentment caused by the country's forced inclusion in Brexit despite unanimous council support for remaining in the 2016 referendum.

Scotland's new First Minister, Humza Yousaf, has passionately vowed to deliver independence for Scotland, reigniting the debate over the country's relationship with the UK.

Almost a decade has passed since Scots narrowly voted to stay in the UK with a 55-45 margin.

Current polling suggests an even tighter race, with the youth overwhelmingly supporting the move away from the UK.

Key Takeaways

• Celtic Football Club fans have made headlines for chanting against King Charles' coronation during the Scottish Cup Final.
  • The chant gained traction online with both support and criticism from various personalities, including Piers Morgan.
  • The controversial chant highlights the underlying political tension and declining support for the monarchy in Scotland, particularly among young people.

So, while the monarchy and sports may seem worlds apart, this contentious incident has illuminated the underlying political tension that continues to shape the relationship between Scotland and the UK.

It all goes to show that, when it comes to the monarchy, even in this modern day and age, people still have very strong opinions about it - for better or for worse.

What are your thoughts on this, members? Are you shocked about the public’s reaction to King Charles III’s coronation or would you have joined the chant? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Uncouth, undignified people with no finess or filter always show their true colours through their disgraceful, disrespectful behaviour...and always at the expense of others.

I’m an ecumenical mud slinger and I don’t care whether the subject’s alive or dead. Using your argument, perhaps we should stop criticising Hitler and Pol Pot. I’m also lot less judgemental than most. When I see untruths, I will correct them, especially when someone is being all moralistic and judgey.

View attachment 19246

Key Takeaways

And Piers Morgan can do the same with Fugly lying head

And so said a real dick head who thinks they would prefer another form of Government madly thinking that a Republican style of government-think USA-is better then a Monarchist-think the UK, Scotland, Wales and the other 1/3 of the worlds population.
I agree. Be careful what you wish for! 😳

I am Scottish and Protestant, but have always favoured Celtic over Rangers. Living in the west of Scotland for 35 years I was well acquainted with religious bigotry growing up. Lost a Saturday job once because I went to the wrong school. ie Protestant. However, I am disgusted at the behaviour of fans at the recent match. Yes, RCs do not support the Monarchy and will not stand for the Anthem, but this display was quite unnecessary.

I’m not British but I have British citizenship due to my mothers efforts at getting her children naturalised back in the day! I do love the ancient buildings and the history or England Scotland and Wales, it fascinates me to see the places where so many events in history took place- I agree with others re the improved stability of countries with monarchies. I was in the crowd aged 4 at Elizabeth’s coronation and it was sooo exciting!
I think it would have been better for Britain if Charles had bypassed the whole king thing so late in life, thus also avoiding the obvious comparisons being made between Camilla and Diana. William and Kate’s coronation would have created a sense of new beginnings with a young and vital couple, already respected by most of the population.
Instead it was an a slightly sad event with a couple of rickety old codgers dressed up like a Christmas Tree and looking vaguely ridiculous!
I fear Britain will have to fork out for another coronation before too long
sad really!

yes he should Not be king for the way he treated his first wife she was only used to give him children
She played the press like he played around and had affairs herself. And if she had worn a seatbelt she would quite likely still be around.

View attachment 19246

Key Takeaways

What can you expect from football fans get together with their mates and act like kindergarten kids really giving their kids a “role” model NOT !!!

People just expressing their views.

He should never have been made King and Camilla definitely not Queen they are both Adulterers
So is half of the world, how many marriages have survived and how many people cheat. And he wasn't made king, he was next in line, it was going to happen no matter what.

What is past is past. I am not a royalist nor am in republican. What I do care about in the amount of money squandered on the traditional pomp and ceremony. We are now in the 21st century and there are more important ways that the new king could have made himself popular..he is the head of the commonwealth and as such, has a responsibility to his ‘Subjects’. The money he squandered could have helped to alleviate the poverty in a lot of nations under his wings. Fed the masses, housing for the underprivileged, more hospitals and list goes on and on and on. Just think of all the good he could have done that would have had a long term impact rather than a day of glory.
i can only hope that the next king to be crowned will be more in tune with what his people really need to keep the Monachy viable and respected in the foreseeable future. All hail King William

I totally agree with you Monty I am a Royalist and always will be, how many of us humans have committed adultery for some reason or other, as it says in the bible who so ever is without sin cast the first stone, and I think there would hardly be any that have not sinned, we are only human, and King Charles true love is the wife that he has now, they suit each other, and I believe they will make a good King and Queen.
Then Charles should have married Camilla in the beginning. I agree she is his true love ...hang on he couldn't because she was married with children and the Royaks want him married to someone young and innocent

What is past is past. I am not a royalist nor am in republican. What I do care about in the amount of money squandered on the traditional pomp and ceremony. We are now in the 21st century and there are more important ways that the new king could have made himself popular..he is the head of the commonwealth and as such, has a responsibility to his ‘Subjects’. The money he squandered could have helped to alleviate the poverty in a lot of nations under his wings. Fed the masses, housing for the underprivileged, more hospitals and list goes on and on and on. Just think of all the good he could have done that would have had a long term impact rather than a day of glory.
i can only hope that the next king to be crowned will be more in tune with what his people really need to keep the Monachy viable and respected in the foreseeable future. All hail King William
It’s worth noting that the coronation cost around $A1.8 million. Tourists visiting for the coronation brought more than that into the British economy.

View attachment 19246

Key Takeaways

I would have joined the chant whole heartily. With most British people doing it hard in England, this extravaganza is ridiculous.

A little known fact - because it was kept quiet by the Royal Family - is that Diana was stepping out on Charles for quite a while before Charles and Camilla rekindled their relationship. Everyone knows about James Hewitt, whom many believe to be Harry’s father (I don’t), but he was one of several.

Diana had a habit of looking sideways at people with her head bowed. Many thought that was cute and showed how shy she was. I saw it as a manipulative tool.
She was lovely,the peoples princess and he was a not so nice husband,think you have that back the front ,he was the adulterer,and continued all the way through the marriage ,but he got his sons which he would never have had with Camilla .She is the schemer and got her own way in the end ,they are both adulterers and think thats disgusting.

Reactions: OldCrone2303