Caught in the act: Supermarket worker shares heart-wrenching stories of desperate shoplifters

Is it fair to call someone a criminal for stealing food, especially if they're doing it to survive?

According to an anonymous supermarket worker, the issue is far from black and white. In an opinion article for The Guardian, they shared how they have confronted shoplifters every day for five years.

There has been a rise in supermarket theft, not only in Australia, but all over the world. According to The Guardian, Australian supermarkets have reported a 20% increase in stock loss, which is attributed to both food wastage and theft. Compare this to data from the British Retail Consortium, the UK has seen a 26% rise in retail thefts in England and Wales. Some experts, like John Lewis chair Dame Sharon White, calls the crisis an 'epidemic’.

image2.jpg
People are having to shoplift for essentials. Image source: Pixabay.

Michelle Whitehead, another supermarket employee, shared on BBC News that shoplifters often steal essentials like meat, milk, and baby food.

The anonymous supermarket worker and Whitehead both believe that the increase in shoplifting is due to the rising cost of living. Essentials are becoming too expensive, driving those in need to resort to shoplifting.

‘At the bottom of the shoplifting pyramid are those who are living in dire poverty and are ravenously hungry. Their focus is less on stealing high-value items and more on urgently filling their empty stomachs,’ the anonymous supermarket worker says.

They add, ‘I spent a period street-homeless several years ago, so I know what it feels like to be hungry and have no means of getting a meal. Sometimes when someone is caught stealing a low-value item such as bread and is clearly hungry, another shopper who witnesses them being caught offers to pay for the stolen item.’

What's surprising for them, however, is the wide range of individuals involved. ‘I’ve seen shoplifting by people from all walks of life’. Some are professionals, well-dressed to deceive, while others are simply trying to get by.

This lack of punishment, she reveals, is almost to be expected. ‘The police often don't even come when they are called.’ They stress, ‘I have never seen anyone prosecuted for shoplifting in all my time working in supermarkets. If we call the police they ask us if anyone has been stabbed. If the answer is no, they often don’t come, or come hours after the event…’

In their eyes, the issue goes beyond just legal matters. ‘There was one occasion where I chased a shoplifter who stole some sausages. He begged to be able to keep them so he could take them home and have something to eat. He handed them back but I regretted chasing him and decided I would never do it again. I could see how desperate he was.’

Following this experience, they argue, ‘Stealing can never be condoned,’ but then emphasise that the root cause often lies in a ‘threadbare safety net that is failing to catch the most vulnerable’.

As we already know, shoplifting rates are getting worse in Australia, prompting heightened store surveillance.

image1.jpg
CCTV Security Camera. Image source: Pixabay.

So, what's the way forward?

Experts suggest 'situational prevention'—making it harder to commit the crime in the first place. In fact, Coles has already started employing tactics like trolley locking systems, aiming to curb theft before it happens.

‘Like most businesses and public spaces, we use surveillance technologies in accordance with stringent privacy laws, and we have strict protocols in place around access to the footage,’ a Coles spokesperson says.

Woolworths, on the other hand, has been utilising Auror's retail crime intelligence platform since 2020. ‘All Woolworths supermarkets, Metro and Big W stores across the country use the Auror system as a means of reporting antisocial and unlawful incidents including theft, abuse to team members and violence,’ says a Woolworths spokesperson.

Simply put, it is clear that stricter policy measures alone won't fix the shoplifting issue in the UK or Australia. A broader solution addressing economic and social factors is needed.

Key Takeaways

• Retail thefts in Australia, England and Wales have surged by over 20%, and is being described as an 'epidemic.'
  • Shoplifters come from varied backgrounds, from professionals to those living in poverty.
  • The rise in shoplifting is linked to societal inequality and a lack of safety net for vulnerable people.

So members, how else do you think we can prevent shoplifting? Do you agree that tackling the root causes like economic pressures and social inequality is the place to start? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
Is it fair to call someone a criminal for stealing food, especially if they're doing it to survive?

According to an anonymous supermarket worker, the issue is far from black and white. In an opinion article for The Guardian, they shared how they have confronted shoplifters every day for five years.

There has been a rise in supermarket theft, not only in Australia, but all over the world. According to The Guardian, Australian supermarkets have reported a 20% increase in stock loss, which is attributed to both food wastage and theft. Compare this to data from the British Retail Consortium, the UK has seen a 26% rise in retail thefts in England and Wales. Some experts, like John Lewis chair Dame Sharon White, calls the crisis an 'epidemic’.

View attachment 30356

Michelle Whitehead, another supermarket employee, shared on BBC News that shoplifters often steal essentials like meat, milk, and baby food.

The anonymous supermarket worker and Whitehead both believe that the increase in shoplifting is due to the rising cost of living. Essentials are becoming too expensive, driving those in need to resort to shoplifting.

‘At the bottom of the shoplifting pyramid are those who are living in dire poverty and are ravenously hungry. Their focus is less on stealing high-value items and more on urgently filling their empty stomachs,’ the anonymous supermarket worker says.

They add, ‘I spent a period street-homeless several years ago, so I know what it feels like to be hungry and have no means of getting a meal. Sometimes when someone is caught stealing a low-value item such as bread and is clearly hungry, another shopper who witnesses them being caught offers to pay for the stolen item.’

What's surprising for them, however, is the wide range of individuals involved. ‘I’ve seen shoplifting by people from all walks of life’. Some are professionals, well-dressed to deceive, while others are simply trying to get by.

This lack of punishment, she reveals, is almost to be expected. ‘The police often don't even come when they are called.’ They stress, ‘I have never seen anyone prosecuted for shoplifting in all my time working in supermarkets. If we call the police they ask us if anyone has been stabbed. If the answer is no, they often don’t come, or come hours after the event…’

In their eyes, the issue goes beyond just legal matters. ‘There was one occasion where I chased a shoplifter who stole some sausages. He begged to be able to keep them so he could take them home and have something to eat. He handed them back but I regretted chasing him and decided I would never do it again. I could see how desperate he was.’

Following this experience, they argue, ‘Stealing can never be condoned,’ but then emphasise that the root cause often lies in a ‘threadbare safety net that is failing to catch the most vulnerable’.

As we already know, shoplifting rates are getting worse in Australia, prompting heightened store surveillance.

View attachment 30357

Experts suggest 'situational prevention'—making it harder to commit the crime in the first place. In fact, Coles has already started employing tactics like trolley locking systems, aiming to curb theft before it happens.

‘Like most businesses and public spaces, we use surveillance technologies in accordance with stringent privacy laws, and we have strict protocols in place around access to the footage,’ a Coles spokesperson says.

Woolworths, on the other hand, has been utilising Auror's retail crime intelligence platform since 2020. ‘All Woolworths supermarkets, Metro and Big W stores across the country use the Auror system as a means of reporting antisocial and unlawful incidents including theft, abuse to team members and violence,’ says a Woolworths spokesperson.

Simply put, it is clear that stricter policy measures alone won't fix the shoplifting issue in the UK or Australia. A broader solution addressing economic and social factors is needed.

Key Takeaways

• Retail thefts in Australia, England and Wales have surged by over 20%, and is being described as an 'epidemic.'
  • Shoplifters come from varied backgrounds, from professionals to those living in poverty.
  • The rise in shoplifting is linked to societal inequality and a lack of safety net for vulnerable people.

So members, how else do you think we can prevent shoplifting? Do you agree that tackling the root causes like economic pressures and social inequality is the place to start? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Perhaps the big supermarkets could afford some advertising money for a store billboard/or fliers at front reception ( cigarette purchases) for people who can't afford to buy food or advice as to where people can get a free meal....eg Salvos, Wesley Mission other community & church foodbanks. This could be a community 'give back' for all the good will & loyalty of shoppers who keep shopping within their stores over many many years ?

View attachment 30356

View attachment 30357

Key Takeaways

SHOPLIFTING....SAD BUT TRUE.......PERHAPS HAVE A CORONED AREA NR FRONT ENTRANCE..PUT OUT OF DATE

View attachment 30356

View attachment 30357

Key Takeaways

Reactions: Trudi
Shoplifting sad but true..PERHAPS HAVE A CORDONED OR (CAGE)AREA NR FRONT DOOR....WITH OUT OF DATE....OR NEAR OUT OF DATES ON THEM .....AND CUSTOMER PAY( ($10) FOR 20 ITEMS.......THEY MUST LEAVE BY SEPARATE ENTRANCE SHOW PENSION CARD......AS THEY GO...
CHECKOUT CHICK COUNT THE ITEMS THEY HAVE BOUGHT AND COLLECT $10..00...
THIS SHALL HELP THEM...AND BE GRATEFUL ...
I HOPE IT HELPS .......AND SUPERMARKETS...

View attachment 30356

View attachment 30357

Key Takeaways

If they got rid of the self checkouts and went back to the human being checkouts then there would be no theft or very little. Also it’s not all about people suffering from cost of living pressures , it can also be about resentment that we are being ripped off by the big supermarkets.

View attachment 30356

View attachment 30357

Key Takeaways

Maybe for once politicians and unions can forget about their pockets and do some thing to help this growing economic problem

If they got rid of the self checkouts and went back to the human being checkouts then there would be no theft or very little. Also it’s not all about people suffering from cost of living pressures , it can also be about resentment that we are being ripped off by the big supermarkets.
Nonsense! Shoplifting has been going on long before supermarkets got self service checkouts!

Reactions: Go Cats
Shoplifting sad but true..PERHAPS HAVE A CORDONED OR (CAGE)AREA NR FRONT DOOR....WITH OUT OF DATE....OR NEAR OUT OF DATES ON THEM .....AND CUSTOMER PAY( ($10) FOR 20 ITEMS.......THEY MUST LEAVE BY SEPARATE ENTRANCE SHOW PENSION CARD......AS THEY GO...
Sorry I get the feeling that people are already suffering from cost-of-living pressure - why would we want to put these people in virtual public stocks for being less better off than most of us. Are we going to throw rotten tomatoes at them in the town square as well? I could think of nothing more belittling than having to prove you are "poor" and subjected to scrutiny as you go through the "poor" door. Seriously - would it not be better for the supermarkets to donate the food to the various charity food stores for distribution to the needy without the need to be embarrassed?

Reactions: Gsr
Maybe we need more eating outlets for homeless people, managed by Corporate Australia, where they can be provided with meals FOC at least twice a day. It would be a massive assistance program for them both.

Reactions: Gsr and relljube
Sorry I get the feeling that people are already suffering from cost-of-living pressure - why would we want to put these people in virtual public stocks for being less better off than most of us. Are we going to throw rotten tomatoes at them in the town square as well? I could think of nothing more belittling than having to prove you are "poor" and subjected to scrutiny as you go through the "poor" door. Seriously - would it not be better for the supermarkets to donate the food to the various charity food stores for distribution to the needy without the need to be embarrassed?
There have recently been articles on this site about some supermarkets throwing out food nearing their use-by dates instead of making a call to a charity to pick up the stuff. There possibly are rules in place that supermarkets have to abide by in relation to ‘giving away food nearing expiry’, I don’t know. But if so, then those rules need to change to allow only management of supermarkets to oversee this ‘giving away’ in order to avoid any repercussions for which they alone take full responsibility. It is sacrilegious to hear so much food is thrown out. People rummaging in supermarket bins are liable to be caught by police doing this and that is terrible for them when all they want is a meal in their stomachs.

Reactions: Gsr and starrysnan
A lot of poor people cannot get to the charity food stores. There are needy in our town and the nearest charity is 40k's away, there is no bus only community transport which 10 yrs ago cost $20 to get to Wagga. God only knows what the cost would be now. I feel there would be lots of small country villages with people in the same boat, unless they can get a lift into a larger town to get free food they go hungry.

Reactions: Gsr
There has been talk recently that councils should consider planting fruit trees in place of the type of trees currently planted. This would enable people to obtain free fruit.

There has been talk recently that councils should consider planting fruit trees in place of the type of trees currently planted. This would enable people to obtain free fruit.
Good idea..... hover thre woulf be leftovers scattered on the public are the could lead to oh&s claims.

This is Australia. It is a country endowed with every natural resource under the sun and with a small population. That 1.2 million kids live in poverty and that Australians need to steal to survive is criminal negligence by whoever runs Australia. And as we are a democracy free to vote for our assorted governments every three years that criminal negligence is our responsibility as it shows just how greedy and selfish are we, the people of Australia.

However, I suppose we could deport the supermarket thieves to another country after giving them a thorough flogging with the cat o'nine tails; it has been done before. However, I was careful not to define what I meant by "supermarket thieves".

Reactions: IAN3005
Good idea..... hover thre woulf be leftovers scattered on the public are the could lead to oh&s claims.
WE scatter plastic drinks bottles, plastic straws and cardboard coffee cups across our streets; so what?

Maybe we need more eating outlets for homeless people, managed by Corporate Australia, where they can be provided with meals FOC at least twice a day. It would be a massive assistance program for them both.
Maybe we can pay people decent wages instead?

It is so sad that people have to steal or go hungry. Shame on society that we let this happen. Supermarkets need to be allowed to donate all the food to food banks or charity groups that they throw out, unless it is out of date meat or dairy products. They should donate more of these items before they run out of date. We are lucky in our town, the local neighbourhood centre has food every day for people to take, and also a kitchen where people can make themselves a meal with food that is supplied there. This service operates Monday to Friday for breakfast and lunches. Twice a week another charity group have a food van at night that provides a hot meal of soup or casserole with bread or rolls and fresh fruit for anyone in need. We have a very large homeless population in our country town which is actually a surprise to most people.

Reactions: London Lad

View attachment 30356

View attachment 30357

Key Takeaways

What did the corporations think? Once wealth has been concentrated and the general population cannot afford food and housing, we are just going to meekly starve in the streets? If I see someone shoplifting, I silently wish them luck and go about my business. If I was a shareholder of a major supermarket, I would be offloading those shares for something else. Their profits are going to drop either because their management cannot understand that price gouging will reduce turnover or through increased theft.

Reactions: relljube
What did the corporations think? Once wealth has been concentrated and the general population cannot afford food and housing, we are just going to meekly starve in the streets? If I see someone shoplifting, I silently wish them luck and go about my business. If I was a shareholder of a major supermarket, I would be offloading those shares for something else. Their profits are going to drop either because their management cannot understand that price gouging will reduce turnover or through increased theft.
You may have something here. Perhaps the law makers should introduce a law for the donation of 1% of profits to charity organisations/food kitchens etc before payment of dividends to shareholders. Take the 4 big banks - combined profits of almost 4 billion = donation of $4 million. Then inlcude multi-companies supermarkets/hardward/stationary supplies (1 conglomerate) etc etc - the amounts donated would aleviate the stresses of current australia in one fell swoop. Just saying!

• Haha
Reactions: Trudi
It's
Firstly, use lower case. Why would you create an area that would seen as a walk of same (caged area). What you think should be created already exists and it's called Food Bank. The major supermarkets already give $100's of 1000 in fresh produce that is nearing the end of shelf life to foodbanks across this country. The various charity operators access the resources of a foodbank and make these items available through their various sites generally for free. I worked for a couple of decades for a charity group and never had any problems accessing the end of day stocks from the local large supermarkets. Bakery bread was always handed over (not the named bakery items they got credits for unsold).

Reactions: IAN3005 and Trudi