'Cash stuffing' is the old-school money tactic that could save you thousands. Here's how it works

The advent of online payment transactions has been a game-changer for the way we do business. No longer are we limited to using cash or checks to pay for goods and services. We can now use our credit and debit cards to make purchases online, in person, or even over the phone.

This convenience has come with some challenges, however. With so many different payment options available, it can be difficult to know which one to use for each transaction. And, with the rise of online fraud, we have to be extra careful about how we enter our payment information.

And while there are a number of benefits from cashless transactions, more people are overlooking the benefits of using bank notes.

But, did you know that there's an old-school trick that can help you save?

This money-saving method has been circulating (pun intended) online after one woman revealed that she managed to save nearly $30,000 in one year using this technique.

Credit: YouTube/CAROCASH

Australians are increasingly turning to an 'old school' tactic known as 'cash stuffing' to help them budget and save.

Under this method, you physically place cash into different envelopes categorised by outgoing costs, such as petrol, groceries, health insurance and memberships. This can help you keep better track of your spending and make sure you're not blowing your budget on unnecessary expenses.

Sharing her tip on YouTube, Caroline, better known for her username @CAROCASH, said that she has saved a lot since starting her cash stuffing journey last year.

Caroline shared that she divides her $700 weekly budget into two separate organisation binders—one for spending and one for saving.

The thrifty tips expert also revealed that she includes spending money for car maintenance and registration, petrol, holidays, health care, and gifts in her ‘sinking fund’ and sets aside money for Christmas, sales, and self-care.

Anyone who has trouble sticking to a budget can try this easy strategy thanks to its simplicity and the extra advantages it offers, such as feeling in direct charge of your finances and avoiding the need for a credit card.

fzZQKu8hR_a5AVM7mlD6Gwi5KzbBxawf_vRrLDt0VBJNoRyvxuLj8j2dF3KbZTPYH0-CfouUb5N95COJ6n4JhEhaiMzHY4mdW4Psm7f1_KPtcCXwPCF8rOSnovkiJfS5CNx_-8DH4f7V-sujqPvQ9A

The method allows consumers to easily track their expenses. Credit: YouTube/CAROCASH.

The drawback, however, is that no interest will be earned while the excess cash is out of the bank.

According to Daniel Jovevski, founder and CEO of the money management software WeMoney, the method is gaining popularity among many Australians as we experience difficult financial times.

'Tougher times with inflation and cost of living pressures have brought back this old but effective method as consumers combat increasing petrol and food prices,' he explained.

Additionally, the technique helps people to cognitively comprehend what it's like to spend money - something that most of us are having trouble understanding because of the online payment options and credit cards available at our disposal.

Mr Jovevski continued: 'This trend has deep behavioural benefits with prominent behavioural scientists identifying the method as helping people increase their "pain of paying", meaning when we pay with cash we feel a little pain when we see the amount of money leave our wallets or [cash] envelopes.'

Saving money during inflation can be difficult, but it can be possible. There are a few things that you can do to make sure that your money is not being wasted.

We also recommend our members always check the Money Saving Hacks section of the SDC website to learn more tips on how you can lessen your expenses or save more money. Already feeling the pinch of the pension? Check out our article on ways to earn money as a pensioner.

So, there you have it, folks! Have you done something similar to this trick? Better yet, have you experienced budgeting your money by ‘cash stuffing’? Share your stories with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
The advent of online payment transactions has been a game-changer for the way we do business. No longer are we limited to using cash or checks to pay for goods and services. We can now use our credit and debit cards to make purchases online, in person, or even over the phone.

This convenience has come with some challenges, however. With so many different payment options available, it can be difficult to know which one to use for each transaction. And, with the rise of online fraud, we have to be extra careful about how we enter our payment information.

And while there are a number of benefits from cashless transactions, more people are overlooking the benefits of using bank notes.

This money-saving method has been circulating (pun intended) online after one woman revealed that she managed to save nearly $30,000 in one year using this technique.

Australians are increasingly turning to an 'old school' tactic known as 'cash stuffing' to help them budget and save.

Under this method, you physically place cash into different envelopes categorised by outgoing costs, such as petrol, groceries, health insurance and memberships. This can help you keep better track of your spending and make sure you're not blowing your budget on unnecessary expenses.

Sharing her tip on YouTube, Caroline, better known for her username @CAROCASH, said that she has saved a lot since starting her cash stuffing journey last year.

Caroline shared that she divides her $700 weekly budget into two separate organisation binders—one for spending and one for saving.

The thrifty tips expert also revealed that she includes spending money for car maintenance and registration, petrol, holidays, health care, and gifts in her ‘sinking fund’ and sets aside money for Christmas, sales, and self-care.

Anyone who has trouble sticking to a budget can try this easy strategy thanks to its simplicity and the extra advantages it offers, such as feeling in direct charge of your finances and avoiding the need for a credit card.

fzZQKu8hR_a5AVM7mlD6Gwi5KzbBxawf_vRrLDt0VBJNoRyvxuLj8j2dF3KbZTPYH0-CfouUb5N95COJ6n4JhEhaiMzHY4mdW4Psm7f1_KPtcCXwPCF8rOSnovkiJfS5CNx_-8DH4f7V-sujqPvQ9A

The method allows consumers to easily track their expenses. Credit: YouTube/CAROCASH.

The drawback, however, is that no interest will be earned while the excess cash is out of the bank.

According to Daniel Jovevski, founder and CEO of the money management software WeMoney, the method is gaining popularity among many Australians as we experience difficult financial times.

'Tougher times with inflation and cost of living pressures have brought back this old but effective method as consumers combat increasing petrol and food prices,' he explained.

Additionally, the technique helps people to cognitively comprehend what it's like to spend money - something that most of us are having trouble understanding because of the online payment options and credit cards available at our disposal.

Mr Jovevski continued: 'This trend has deep behavioural benefits with prominent behavioural scientists identifying the method as helping people increase their "pain of paying", meaning when we pay with cash we feel a little pain when we see the amount of money leave our wallets or [cash] envelopes.'

Saving money during inflation can be difficult, but it can be possible. There are a few things that you can do to make sure that your money is not being wasted.

We also recommend our members always check the Money Saving Hacks section of the SDC website to learn more tips on how you can lessen your expenses or save more money. Already feeling the pinch of the pension? Check out our article on ways to earn money as a pensioner.

So, there you have it, folks! Have you done something similar to this trick? Better yet, have you experienced budgeting your money by ‘cash stuffing’? Share your stories with us in the comments below!

I think Caroline is trying to pull the wool over our eyes. Do the maths. $700 per week, 52 weeks = $36,4000 and she wants us to believe she saved $30,000????? Doesn't add up or am I missing something?

I think Caroline is trying to pull the wool over our eyes. Do the maths. $700 per week, 52 weeks = $36,4000 and she wants us to believe she saved $30,000????? Doesn't add up or am I missing something?
Maybe that's the ammount she withdraws and leaves the rest in the bank. I'm sure her wages are more . By withdrawing for bills ect you know that you have not over spent

Reactions: paulamc52 and Ricci
When we have a function we are organising we use the envelope method. Venue.. DJ... photographer..Dresses ect

I love the envelope method but for bills , food ect I pay on line , my insurances, Foxtel come out as a direct debit.

I think in today's society it is pretty hard to pay everything with cash

Last edited:

I have been doing this for 30years and have shown other people how this type of 'money management' works.
(Many people get put off by 'budgeting' that's why I call it money management.)
I have since modified it, by putting all regular bill money into one bank account where there is ALWAYS enough money to cover regular bills, eg gas, electricity, water, car rego, insurances, etc.
I use different purses for petrol, food, hobbies, outings, etc. My friends know about my numerous purses but I'm never broke!
It works! Ps. I am on an age pension, I travel & I never go without.

Money Management is one of the most critical things to do as one approaches retirement or is retired. Actually it is applicable through out life.
I used a somewhat different approach. I have been tracking our expenses for the past 25 years. It provides us with real figures applicable to us, not some theoretical figures as per ASFA or other groups. How would they know how we want to live and the expenses we are incurring and going to incur? No, it is not a budget. This tracking of expenses provides one of the inputs into how much money we need in our retirement without impacting our lifestyle too much. Over the next period of time when I retire, we feel the money aspect is catered for.
I feel that unless money is properly managed, lifestyle in retirement can be an constrained. Note that this is different for every individual.

Guess she's not on a pension?

While I understand that this method works for some people I can't help but wonder at a lot of peoples mental acuity. Do they not have a mental picture of the state of their finances that they need it in hard tangible things(cash)? I could tell you, to the dollar how much I have in the bank, savings, and how much is owing on my credit card. It helps that I only have one of each but I've never understood how some people can keep spending when they know they don't have the resources to cover it. Keeping to a budget is a state of mind as much as anything else, then it's a habit, and then a way of life, but first you have to have the will to make it work.:)

I have a friend that pops cash in different envelopes. My thoughts, why not keep the cash in the bank earning interest and eliminate the risk of theft. And use monopoly money in the envelopes instead, if you need to visualise the cash side of things.

Reactions: Elbe and Ricci
My parents used the envelope method way back when ..... it was valuable training but in today's financial environment , especially with online grocery shopping etc - it'd be a bloody nuisance to go back to using cash. For a start, it'd add a physical trip to the bank because you can't get all the different bills from any atm 🤣) and I can't even remember when I last actually entered a bank! When even the tax office is moving towards a cashless society why would anyone go backwards?

As others have said above, if you don't know the state of your bank account & credit card - that's actually the major concern & what is stuck in envelopes won't change a spendthrift's way of thinking ..... one I know very well uses the envelope method but is constantly broke & robbing peter to pay paul - as the saying goes. Personally, I keep a little cash in my safe for emergency use but the rest of my money needs to be safe in the bank earning what little interest it can get.

It's not quite the same thing but it has similar benefits: every week when I have finished my supermarketing I place all my $5 notes, $1 and $2 coins in a wallet in my bedside table. Once a year my husband and I have a weekend away and this covers extras. So far this year I have more than $400 waiting to be spent later this year. I don't miss it when I put it aside but when I want to buy something on our weekend I have the cash.

It's not quite the same thing but it has similar benefits: every week when I have finished my supermarketing I place all my $5 notes, $1 and $2 coins in a wallet in my bedside table. Once a year my husband and I have a weekend away and this covers extras. So far this year I have more than $400 waiting to be spent later this year. I don't miss it when I put it aside but when I want to buy something on our weekend I have the cash.
That's a great idea! I save my gold coins for buying Xmas things & the few hundred always comes in handy. It also keeps my purse a manageable weight and size 🤣

I have been doing this for 30years and have shown other people how this type of 'money management' works.
(Many people get put off by 'budgeting' that's why I call it money management.)
I have since modified it, by putting all regular bill money into one bank account where there is ALWAYS enough money to cover regular bills, eg gas, electricity, water, car rego, insurances, etc.
I use different purses for petrol, food, hobbies, outings, etc. My friends know about my numerous purses but I'm never broke!
It works! Ps. I am on an age pension, I travel & I never go without.
Age pension in cash?
Or you withdraw it to put it in purses?

I keep an exercise book, and keep a record of my expenses. Each year I work out a budget of all my expenses and then calculate how much I need to put aside each fortnight to cover these expenses.On one side of my book I keep a description and the opposite page is divided into columns, ie in, out, bills, shopping, savings, keycard and total.
No need to draw out cash, just move amounts into the appropriate columns you will always have funds to cover all your expenses (of course you must have the will power not to spend the the money for indiscriminate spending from any of the columns, except the keycard column, which should be the amount left after you have allotted the funds to the appropriate columns. This way your funds stay in the bank earning some interest until they are required.
All my bills are set up on direct debit and there are always funds to cover them and yes I am a pensioner.

Envelope method is only the beginning to financial management and literacy! It’s a great start to better understand your budget and expenses. And it’s also very easy and visual, because you literally see yourself where your money goes. However, the method can save you money, but not bring 'em. The first thought of a middle-class person wanting to increase their income is to find a better job with a larger salary, nonetheless it wouldn’t change much. An increase in income often leads to an increase in expenses, if a person is not financially literate. The taxes with a bigger salary are bigger and also people usually think they are not as limited as they were and they would try to buy a bigger house and fancier clothes. And at the end of the month, they wouldn’t have any money left, as usual. That’s an example of a financially illiterate person. The problem is, nobody actually wants to learn anything, so a financial advisor exists for these reasons. I hope more people will stop the broke generational cycle!

Last edited:
Reactions: Penny4 and Ricci