'Cash only': Woolworths sign sparks controversy amid shift to cashless payments

In an age where digital transactions are becoming the norm, it's distressing to see specific modes of payment are deemed unavailable or unacceptable.

With reports of multiple corporations shifting into cashless payment methods, technical issues still arise, which can be an inconvenience for some shoppers.

Recently, a shop signage reignited the debate between new technology and time-tested payment methods.

A Woolworths store in Sebastopol posted a simple handwritten sign which read, 'Cash only, no EFTPOS. Sorry,' has set off a wave of reactions from shoppers and staunch supporters of traditional currency.

The note, shared on social media, resulted from an EFTPOS system outage at the store last May 16 and May 17, 2024.

This technical hiccup forced customers to rely solely on cash for two days, which many found inconvenient yet eye-opening.

Woolworths staff members were stationed at the store's entrance during the outage. They advised customers to withdraw cash from nearby ATMs before shopping.

compressed-woolies.jpeg
A signage was spotted at the entrance of a Woolworths store at Sebastopol, notifying shoppers to use cash only. Image Credit: Facebook/Call Out Cashless Businesses

For some shoppers, it was a nostalgic throwback to simpler times. For others, it was a frustrating obstacle in their daily routine.

The shopper who posted the image on social media took the incident as a clear sign of the pitfalls of a cashless society.

'It's finally happened,' they wrote. 'This is proof that a cashless society will never work. It made my day.'

Pro-cash advocates echoed the sentiment on social media and argued that a card-only system is inherently flawed.

'Cash is king,' one commented.

'Fan-b*****-tastic. This will get people thinking,' another comment read.

Some were also worried that the trend towards cashless businesses is unstoppable unless consumers take a stand.

Despite the outage, Woolworths confirmed that it accepts both cash and cards in all its stores and has no plans to go card-only.

The Sebastopol store resumed normal operations after the two-day cash-only period, with no further issues reported.

In previous reports, establishments that shift into full-cashless payments have received the ire of customers.

Popular restaurant Nandos recently opted for a cashless policy by only accepting card payments at its restaurants and online orders.

Meanwhile, competitors like McDonald's, Hungry Jack's, and Red Rooster continue to accept cash payments, with no plans to go cashless.

As banks and ATMs close across Australia, a recent study indicated that 71 per cent of Aussies are apprehensive about the sudden shift to digital and cashless payments.

Many Australians still rely on cash for various reasons—including budgeting, privacy, and simplicity.

Moreover, the digital divide means only some have equal access to or comfort with technology-based payment methods.

This incident reminds us of the importance of maintaining multiple payment options to accommodate all customers' preferences and needs.

It also highlights the potential vulnerabilities of an over-reliance on digital systems.
Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths store in Sebastopol experienced an EFTPOS outage, requiring customers to use cash for transactions.
  • The incident sparked a debate about the reliability of cashless systems and the importance of cash transactions.
  • Pro-cash advocates highlighted the outage as an example of why a cashless society might not be feasible.
  • Woolworths confirmed that cash and card payments are accepted at all stores, with no plans to switch to card-only transactions.
What are your thoughts on the matter? Have you ever been caught out by a cashless system failure? Share your thoughts and opinions with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
I had a laugh to myself once upon a time before I started using a credit card to shop with. Shopping at Coles, I was behind a couple of customers using their credit cards to pay for their groceries, when it was my turn, when I went to pay, I asked the check out lady, "was their a discount for paying with cash" ? She took a dollar off my bill. Not bad for asking the question.

Omg put this into perspective for God sake!! Did the store have an outage?? Lose power? I really dislike the dodgy way this is written for those who don't know when this happens YOU CANNOT USE EFTPOS! NO POWER = NO ELECTRONIC BANKING..why the hell do these idiot people go on social media?? Use your brain and think for yourself instead of asking TOTAL STRANGERS!!!

Last edited:
I did my shopping last week, paid and forgot to get cash out, because the transaction was completed, I was not allowed to withdraw cash without purchasing something else, I was still at the register, so had to buy something to get cash out… honestly has this world gone crazy.

Omg put this into perspective for God sake!! Did the store have an outage?? Lose power? I really dislike the dodgy way this is written for those who don't know when this this happens YOU CANNOT USE EFTPOS! NO POWER = NO ELECTRONIC BANKING..why the hell do these idiot people go on social media?? Use your brain and think for yourself instead of asking TOTAL STRANGERS!!!
Please explain.... :unsure:

The banks want to finish with cash - they have got to be joking. What happens when all the technology fails due to a power failure or some other mishap - I will be stuck at the check out with a trolley full of stuff and unless I have cash on me I won't be able to pay for it!! Even if I have cash, if the check out chick won't take it what happens then!!! I would like a supermarket to answer this please!

I know of a person who intercepted the cabling for a major bank in regional Queensland, rendering the internet inoperable. No transactions at any level were achievable. The purpose of this was to basically commit a technological "holdup". This was before widespread NBN in 2010 and he spent a couple of years in Maryborough Correctional Centre for his efforts.

Just goes to show that all this technology is open to abuse and disablement . It's been going on for years. Since the early 1960s, in fact.

I will use cash or card when it suits me and I hope I will continue to be able to do so. Eventually, they plan to remove the cash option, and I hope it is as far down the track as possible. My single vote will not be able to change their decision.

Reactions: Sass and Macarj
Omg put this into perspective for God sake!! Did the store have an outage?? Lose power? I really dislike the dodgy way this is written for those who don't know when this this happens YOU CANNOT USE EFTPOS! NO POWER = NO ELECTRONIC BANKING..why the hell do these idiot people go on social media?? Use your brain and think for yourself instead of asking TOTAL STRANGERS!!!
:confused:

• Haha
Reactions: Veggiepatch
Oh calm down Lisa, cheeses, you are going to have a heart-attack over nothing.

Reactions: Greg350
The banks want to finish with cash - they have got to be joking. What happens when all the technology fails due to a power failure or some other mishap - I will be stuck at the check out with a trolley full of stuff and unless I have cash on me I won't be able to pay for it!! Even if I have cash, if the check out chick won't take it what happens then!!! I would like a supermarket to answer this please!
They don't care,it's your problem.

tell people they can't do something and they are in an uproar, not because they do it and told they can no longer do it but si,ply because they have been told they can't, kust for the sake of stirring s#$^t

For everyone’s information! 2nd of every month is what they are calling ‘D Day’. On this day they are asking everyone to withdraw as much as they are able from their banks ATM to send a message to the banks that we the people refuse to be dictated to. It’s our money, not theirs!!!!