Pro-cash movement calls for nationwide boycott of Coles and Woolworths

In an era where digital transactions are becoming the norm, a significant movement is rising from the shadows, advocating for the preservation of a more traditional method of payment: cash.

This movement, with a strong online presence and a community of over 50,000 members, is calling for a nationwide boycott of supermarket behemoths Coles and Woolworths.

But why, you might ask, are these pro-cash advocates taking such a stand?

The group, known as Call out Cashless Businesses, is urging Australians to take their business elsewhere, specifically to family-owned stores, in protest against what they perceive as an encroachment on consumer choice and autonomy.

The boycott, announced on May 4, is not just a fleeting moment of consumer activism; it's a statement against the increasing shift towards a cashless society that these advocates labelled ‘financial fascism’.

photo.jpg
The Call out Cashless Businesses group urged a boycott of Coles and Woolworths over their payment policies. Credits: Shutterstock

The sentiment among the group's members is strong.

Supporters viewed the boycott as ‘important’, demonstrating that they ‘won’t be controlled’, while many commenters stated that they already avoided major chains on a daily basis.

‘I prefer to shop at Drakes, IGA, and Foodland in South Australia. No self-serve with these supermarkets. They create jobs for the community,’ one member shared.

‘I don’t shop at either anyway (unless an emergency) so the 4th is just another day. Started my own personal protest against them years ago,’ another commented.

The pro-cash movement's concerns extend beyond a preference for physical currency.

They touch on broader issues such as job preservation, support for local farmers, and resistance to what they see as large corporations' overreach.

The criticism of Coles and Woolworths intensified late last year when Woolworths announced a reduction in the amount of cash customers could withdraw, along with the requirement of a purchase to do so.

This movement isn't isolated to supermarkets alone.

A variety of businesses, from banks to amusement parks and restaurant chains, have felt the heat from the pro-cash community.

For instance, Nando's faced backlash after a cheeky announcement about going cashless, and Macquarie Bank's decision to eliminate cash services was met with similar disapproval.
Key Takeaways

• A group of pro-cash advocates called for a boycott of Coles and Woolworths due to their payment policies.
  • The Call out Cashless Businesses group, which has over 50,000 members on social media, encouraged Australians to support family businesses instead.
  • The community voiced its opposition to the increasing prioritisation of automation and cashless payments, describing it as 'financial fascism'.
  • Both Coles and Woolworths, along with other businesses, have seen criticism for policies perceived as moving away from cash transactions.
What are your thoughts on this cash versus cashless debate? Have you felt pressured to abandon cash at your local supermarkets? Do you support the boycott of Coles and Woolworths, or do you see the shift towards cashless payments as an inevitable part of progress?

Share your experiences and opinions in the comments below.

Sponsored
I have been saying for many years that we will be heading to be cashless society, every one just hands over the card " tap and go" I refuse to do so I am a strong believers in keeping cash in the society I only pay you major bills with card payments, plus online payment etc.

I was in a supermarket yesterday and asked if I was paying via card when I said cash payments the person behind the checkout looked at me as I had 2 heads

I will always use cash using card payments is a easy way to spend money that you don't have.

I hate using cards. When the system goes down, you can’t do anything with cards! At least with cash you can. I’ve had to change my card twice due to using it at the shopping centre and being hit with dodgy withdrawals. At least paying with cash this doesn’t happen. I agree with other comments, you say cash at supermarkets etc and it’s like your from another planet! Any wonder children these days can’t do maths in their head. Swipe the card that’s all you need to do, no thinking about anything. Stay with cash!!!!!!

We do not want a cashless society. We would lose control of how we manage our own money and give all the power is the banks to charge us whatever they want. Remember what happened when Optus went down and people couldn't even by a coffee unless they had cash. I always carry cash and offer to pay this way every where. Cash is king!

We do not want a cashless society. We would lose control of how we manage our own money and give all the power is the banks to charge us whatever they want. Remember what happened when Optus went down and people couldn't even by a coffee unless they had cash. I always carry cash and offer to pay this way every where. Cash is king!
So many want a cashless world, however your comment about Optus, not only stopped people in their tracks but made many angry because they could not buy their daily x 4 coffees.
Can’t have it both ways.

Yes..I support cash. I will not, on principal, use self serve checkouts.
Same here I don't use self serve checkouts and if there is a long queue at a checkout I look for a staff member and ask for another one to be opened. I never have any problems using CASH at my local Coles in a rural area (might be different in the cities). I use CASH most of the time.

Before this cashless society became a thing I must admit I used my card for my shopping
After realising the far reaching implications of a cashless society I now withdraw my living expenses from the ATM and shop only with cash.
It also made me realise how much I was spending on the card. When you can literally see your money disappearing it makes you more careful and you don't tend to buy rubbish on a whim.
I don't spend nearly as much now.

I agree, I already avoid coles,woolworths,and go local if I can, I go to markets where farmers sell produce or local butchers, unfortunately alot of local butchers are going broke because of the big supermarkets....I went to Qld with only cash, because my debit card was lost and so much push back for cash....all rail ticket offices only take cashless deposits for all transport cards and rail machines only give change up to $20 for top ups...omg

May the silent majority NOW make their voice be heard.

While we are at it, express your displeasure at any retailer who refuses to acknowledge Australian Day and Anzac Day. Any store who peddles in Halloween and other pagan festivals such as Christmas and Easter. Tear Halal products off the shelves!

This is AUSTRALIA! Not some enclave of the Indo-Arabic scourge!

I am on a rampage! WATCH OUT!

Anyway, WA's Spudshed has my full support.

Great; but else do I buy food? That is the problem! The duopoly have slaughtered the local small shopkeeper. See below, a report written in 2003. The Tas Liberals and the LNP under John Howard seem to have done sweet FA about it.
1715040012417.png

Reactions: Kaylee
Still a cash man, can list at least 14 shops I have stopped buying from since they went 'card only.' have also cancelled the emails I use to get from them and told them why.... response from a few of them was..'you will soon have no choice but to get a card', was the arrogant reply. I have noticed that there were not many local small shops in my area, some of which have already closed, no doubt from not being able to compete with the 'big bullies'. Banks are the driving force behind this 'cash-less' society, their bottom line is greatly increased... closing agencies (no rent to pay), less staff, (wages cut, super cut, sick-leave/holiday leave/maternity leave/work related injury payments are all greatly reduced.. 'CUSTOMER SERVICE' are two words that will disappear from use in the business world.. Jobs will also decline, you only have to look at how many staff are on duty in the supermarkets. Those that are, are also stacking shelves, changing price dockets, mopping floors whilst customers are lining up at 1-2 check-outs, or standing in a queue waiting for the 'robot check-outs'... What I am wondering is, if all those who are 'card happy' are keeping a total of the 'fees' that are added onto every card transaction, remember Banks can ramp up their fee charges any time they like, which then flows down the system eventually ending in the customers pocket, where more money is being taken out for no other reason than to increase someone's bottom line. As for changing Banks, something that is frequently stated by Politicians to get a better deal, forget it, the CEO's meet regularly over lunch/dinner and discuss how they can 'stick-it to customers.' How do they get away with it you ask... not one person was, within the Banking system, charged as a result of the Royal Commission even though there were numerous counts of fraud, obtain a financial advantage by deception, none were taken out against anybody. Sure, fines were issued for breaking financial ethics and these were paid however, Banks soon recouped these by increasing costs, reducing interest rates and 'other legal non-descript methods.

May the silent majority NOW make their voice be heard.

While we are at it, express your displeasure at any retailer who refuses to acknowledge Australian Day and Anzac Day. Any store who peddles in Halloween and other pagan festivals such as Christmas and Easter. Tear Halal products off the shelves!

This is AUSTRALIA! Not some enclave of the Indo-Arabic scourge!

I am on a rampage! WATCH OUT!

Anyway, WA's Spudshed has my full support.
Don't tear Halal stuff off the shelves.... merely put a pork product in with the Halal merchandise..... this means that the entire contents of the display become non-Halal and the area requires a thorough cleansing and the Halal product replaced..

Great; but else do I buy food? That is the problem! The duopoly have slaughtered the local small shopkeeper. See below, a report written in 2003. The Tas Liberals and the LNP under John Howard seem to have done sweet FA about it.
View attachment 47798
Me too. I only have the big two to choose from.
I already use the butcher, and a vege stall but they don't have stock alot. Have to go to the big guys for everything else, but I do use cash.
Cash is King. !! 👑👑👑💵💵💵

Reactions: DJRayner and Marj53