SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
A

April Bradford

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2022
Card Fees When Paying Registration

Hello members!

Recently, a member emailed us about their disappointing experience paying for their car registration online.

'Just paid my registration and noted that because I was forced to use my debit card on line, I was slugged a Card Payment fee of $4.36. State of Victoria must be getting desperate if they have to charge extra on top of what is already and expensive exercise when registering your car.'

They thought it would be an interesting topic to discuss and we absolutely agree.

We did some research and below is a list of card fees in Victoria:

Screen Shot 2023-05-19 at 3.49.06 pm.png
Image Credit: vicroads

For comparison, ServiceNSW states:

MasterCard and Visa
When you make a credit or debit payment using a MasterCard or Visa card, the merchant fee recovered is up to 0.44% of the total amount payable.

Can you avoid this fee?
This fee only applies to transactions using your VISA or MasterCard. If you use your 'Savings' or 'Cheque' account in person or pay by cash, EFTPOS, cheque, money order or BPAY, this fee will not apply.
So are we being charged for the convenience of paying online? Would you pay in person just to avoid this fee?

We would love to hear your thoughts! Should the state government cover these merchant fees considering we are already paying so much for registration? After all, every dollar counts.

Vic Roads doescnot allow any other means of payment - neither cash nor EFPOS only visa and master card and on top of merchants fees they also charge service fee. wHY?

Last edited:
Reactions: Jarred Santos
That list of card processing fees are all about 0.54% - pretty commonplace for card fees these days. The rate for a 12 month registration renewal is the same as for a learner permit test online
I believe 1.5% is the maximum allowable.
Visa is a business and is entitled to charge for the services it provides for its customers. If there are any complaints about their charges, their interest rates are a good place to start.

Last edited:
This makes my blood boil! They want us to go cashless, yet charge us for using cards. At the cinema the other day there was a notice on the counter stating the different charges for different cards - including a charge for paying with my debit card! I will use cash until it’s no longer possible.

Last edited:
There are a lot of places that charge a fee if you use your Visa Debit card also. Aldi for One. When you buy tickets to a show or concert through the ticketing site they have a set fee. It doesn't matter if you use Visa Debit or Credit Card. A few of the places won't let you BPay or Paypal and paying by cash isn't accepted either so they have you by the Short and Curlies

Hello members!

Recently, a member emailed us about their disappointing experience paying for their car registration online.

'Just paid my registration and noted that because I was forced to use my debit card on line, I was slugged a Card Payment fee of $4.36. State of Victoria must be getting desperate if they have to charge extra on top of what is already and expensive exercise when registering your car.'

They thought it would be an interesting topic to discuss and we absolutely agree.

View attachment 20217

MasterCard and Visa
When you make a credit or debit payment using a MasterCard or Visa card, the merchant fee recovered is up to 0.44% of the total amount payable.

Can you avoid this fee?
This fee only applies to transactions using your VISA or MasterCard. If you use your 'Savings' or 'Cheque' account in person or pay by cash, EFTPOS, cheque, money order or BPAY, this fee will not apply.
So are we being charged for the convenience of paying online? Would you pay in person just to avoid this fee?

We would love to hear your thoughts! Should the state government cover these merchant fees considering we are already paying so much for registration? After all, every dollar counts.
You may have overlooked a part of the payment options because I used BPay last month to renew my Vic car registration.

Hello members!

View attachment 20217

MasterCard and Visa

Can you avoid this fee?

NSW rego has been doing this for years. What's new.

Reactions: Jarred Santos
Sharks abound in the financial sea. Bpay or cheque. In retail shops, tell them to get fkd,and walk out.
They need to be slowed down. They've made a fortune on the gravy train, but now its gone; they have to sharpen their pencils. If shopping for big costly items, carefully open your purse for them to see a wad of 50s! Cash will open heaven and earth. 10% off offer; just tell them that they can do a lot better than that, or still to dear. Cash is king atm, and retailers if they are canny realise that any money is better than none. Mark-up on durables is horrendous.

There are a lot of places that charge a fee if you use your Visa Debit card also. Aldi for One. When you buy tickets to a show or concert through the ticketing site they have a set fee. It doesn't matter if you use Visa Debit or Credit Card. A few of the places won't let you BPay or Paypal and paying by cash isn't accepted either so they have you by the Short and Curlies
I use my card every week to pay for groceries at Aldi and I do NOT get charged a cent! The secret is that you need to INSERT your card, select savings or cheque and use your pin. No fee!

I have just looked at my disability permit reminder and Rego papers, no where on there does it say I can pay that by Bpay, I live in South Australia. I always pay with Visa for our rego's and disability permits. I use Bpay for many of my other bills however.

Hello members!

View attachment 20217

MasterCard and Visa

Can you avoid this fee?

They do that in Queensland too. The politicians could be using it to have that holiday?lol. No one else charges that fee anymore, why does the government?

They charge fees here in Qld too, having said that I was made aware that NOW they are charging for the usage of any card at retailers. So it is 22c per transaction based on what was informed to my by the Local Mitre 10 on Friday. I thought that banks were banned from wroughting the system and sucking us dry once again, to make matters worse, our banks are being closed and we are being encouraged to NOT USE CASH, I would call this behaviour criminal wouldn't you. Thoughts anyone?