Lindyloo

Jan 1, 2022
Melbourne
Cap Guns

Imagine getting one of these for your birthday present or in your Christmas stocking? A Gene Autrey 6-shooter.
There was a time when cowboys and Indians was one of the most played games by all the kids in the neighbourhood, both boys and girls. So one of the most important toys to have was a cap gun or a toy rifle so you could shoot as many kids as possible from the other gang or the Indians. It may seem strange now that as kids we went around the neighbourhood trying to shoot each other with toy guns and I can understand why it's not encouraged these days. Strangely enough though I don't think anybody from our neighbourhood ever went on to be a serial killer or a violent person. Everybody knew it only a game.

Attachments

• cap gun.jpg
    cap gun.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 1
Such an interesting take! I think some people tend to believe that 'gun games' may lead to kids being desensitized to violence -- which is valid. However, that doesn't automatically mean they'll end up inflicting harm on others! I personally love playing shooting video games even as a small girl but I am very against easy, unregulated access to them in real life.

You're absolutely right. We all know how to separate the fun and pretend from reality ;)

Reactions: Kgee and Lindyloo
Such an interesting take! I think some people tend to believe that 'gun games' may lead to kids being desensitized to violence -- which is valid. However, that doesn't automatically mean they'll end up inflicting harm on others! I personally love playing shooting video games even as a small girl but I am very against easy, unregulated access to them in real life.

You're absolutely right. We all know how to separate the fun and pretend from reality ;)
There was never a problem when being a kid playing with cap guns, playing cowboys and Indians. Kids are way too over sensitised these days...not allowed to use their imagination

Reactions: John B and Kgee
I still have one that belonged to my brother. It's in a leather holster. He used to let me use it sometimes.

I loved the smell after it had been "discharged"
Napalm in the morning :)
I too am addicted to that smell of gunpowder. Even today when the grand-kids let of one of those very dangerous :) poppers the smell takes me back.

We even used to take them to school. Almost a complete armory with the kids showing of after Xmas :)
Plastic swords looked good, but home made wooden ones never broke.🔫
🤺

Reactions: Ezzy