Can you spot why this Woolworths shopper was fuming?

There's no doubt that food safety and hygiene have constantly been an issue, especially when it comes to shopping at the supermarket. We've all heard countless stories of food recalls due to contamination and subsequent illnesses caused by consuming contaminated food.

It's, therefore, important for everyone to be extra vigilant when it comes to food safety. This includes being mindful of how the food is stored and handled.

Sadly, we can't always guarantee that everyone will take the necessary steps to ensure the food in supermarkets is safe for consumption. One Woolworths customer experienced first-hand what a careless shopper can do to compromise food hygiene and safety.

The man, who had been at his local Woolies in Queensland, came across what he described as a 'despicable' act.

He shared that when he approached the self-serve checkout area, he found the drinksrefrigerator filled with an assortment of items that did not belong there – bulk packs of chicken thighs and beef mince, sushi, and ice creams.

ottawa-ontario-canada-june-25-260nw-2171480915.jpg copy.png
A Woolworths customer was enraged to discover that a customer had left unwanted trays of meat in a checkout refrigerator. Credit: Shutterstock.

It appears that another shopper had dumped items in the spot after changing their mind about purchasing them, likely without thinking about the consequences of their actions.

The infuriated witness expressed his anger at the wasted food items, stating: ‘That's just despicable, mate.’

The customer explained that workers at Woolies are required to discard meat if it is misplaced, and the small refrigeration units are not sufficient for large packs of meat.

He added: ‘There are a lot of people doing it tough out there, seeing food wasted like that just makes my blood boil.’

‘Walk the 20 metres to the meat section – how many blood chickens and cows have died for nothing?’

The customer also expressed his disgust at the thought of opening a bottle of water with a chicken tray on top.

‘That's just disgusting,’ he commented.

He clarified that he was not blaming Woolies for the lazy shoppers' actions and urged people to be more thoughtful and less selfish.

He emphasised that if someone doesn't want to purchase an item, they should take two more minutes to return it to its original location.

Key Takeaways
  • A Woolworths customer has criticised a fellow shopper for leaving meat and other fresh items in a drink fridge at the self-serve checkout.
  • The shopper was upset at food wastage caused by the 'lazy' and 'despicable' act.
  • They pointed out that many people are struggling financially, and instances of food wastage are frustrating.
  • The customer also believes that leaving meat near drinks compromises the food safety of surrounding items.

Folks, stories like this are a sad reminder. Everyone should always be mindful of their actions and how they impact others.

It's a waste of food and money that can easily be prevented – and it also makes for a much safer shopping experience for everyone.

What are your thoughts on this incident? Share them with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
There's no doubt that food safety and hygiene have constantly been an issue, especially when it comes to shopping at the supermarket. We've all heard countless stories of food recalls due to contamination and subsequent illnesses caused by consuming contaminated food.

It's, therefore, important for everyone to be extra vigilant when it comes to food safety. This includes being mindful of how the food is stored and handled.

Sadly, we can't always guarantee that everyone will take the necessary steps to ensure the food in supermarkets is safe for consumption. One Woolworths customer experienced first-hand what a careless shopper can do to compromise food hygiene and safety.

The man, who had been at his local Woolies in Queensland, came across what he described as a 'despicable' act.

He shared that when he approached the self-serve checkout area, he found the drinksrefrigerator filled with an assortment of items that did not belong there – bulk packs of chicken thighs and beef mince, sushi, and ice creams.

View attachment 16376
A Woolworths customer was enraged to discover that a customer had left unwanted trays of meat in a checkout refrigerator. Credit: Shutterstock.

It appears that another shopper had dumped items in the spot after changing their mind about purchasing them, likely without thinking about the consequences of their actions.

The infuriated witness expressed his anger at the wasted food items, stating: ‘That's just despicable, mate.’

The customer explained that workers at Woolies are required to discard meat if it is misplaced, and the small refrigeration units are not sufficient for large packs of meat.

He added: ‘There are a lot of people doing it tough out there, seeing food wasted like that just makes my blood boil.’

‘Walk the 20 metres to the meat section – how many blood chickens and cows have died for nothing?’

The customer also expressed his disgust at the thought of opening a bottle of water with a chicken tray on top.

He clarified that he was not blaming Woolies for the lazy shoppers' actions and urged people to be more thoughtful and less selfish.

He emphasised that if someone doesn't want to purchase an item, they should take two more minutes to return it to its original location.

Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths customer has criticised a fellow shopper for leaving meat and other fresh items in a drink fridge at the self-serve checkout.
  • The shopper was upset at food wastage caused by the 'lazy' and 'despicable' act.
  • They pointed out that many people are struggling financially, and instances of food wastage are frustrating.
  • The customer also believes that leaving meat near drinks compromises the food safety of surrounding items.

Folks, stories like this are a sad reminder. Everyone should always be mindful of their actions and how they impact others.

It's a waste of food and money that can easily be prevented – and it also makes for a much safer shopping experience for everyone.

What are your thoughts on this incident? Share them with us in the comments below.
These lazy, selfish, irresponsible people should be reported and refused to shop there again. Woolworth CCVT cameras should be able to identify who they are.

View attachment 16376

Key Takeaways

View attachment 16376

Key Takeaways

If it cannot be taken back to its original refrigerator location give it to a staff member and ask them to ‘please’ put it back as you don’t want to buy it. Some shoppers could be incapacitated and walking a short distance to put the item back may be an issue, but don’t assume that putting it back in the ‘wrong’ refrigerated cabinet is the right thing to do. As pointed out by others here not all the refrigerated cabinets are at the same low temperature.

Last edited:
These lazy, selfish, irresponsible people should be reported and refused to shop there again. Woolworth CCVT cameras should be able to identify who they are.
Having worked in this environment, trying to stop the numerous customers who think this is ok would never work. You cant teach a lazy, selfish person to do the right thing. And then just look at the carpark and free ranging trolleys. Laziness is endemic.

Having worked in this environment, trying to stop the numerous customers who think this is ok would never work. You cant teach a lazy, selfish person to do the right thing. And then just look at the carpark and free ranging trolleys. Laziness is endemic.
Yes, Terri I agree with your comments about customers being negligent with putting things back and also the trolley issue; I have often found something out on a shelf far from its original location but there are also many who cannot walk back to the original shelf or refrigerator and my suggestion was on these lines. Agreed all of us need to put things back where they came from - it would annoy us at home to find something put it the wrong place so why can’t we do that in the shops?

Unfortunately there are way too many examples of this kind of behaviour. It is downright lazy and disrespectful. We foster a ‘I don’t really care’ attitude in Australia, and it’s a shame to see more and more of us behaving like this.

Being disabled myself, I agree that allowance should be made, but I sincerely doubt that a disabled person would be doing this. They were brought up the right way!

Yes, Terri I agree with your comments about customers being negligent with putting things back and also the trolley issue; I have often found something out on a shelf far from its original location but there are also many who cannot walk back to the original shelf or refrigerator and my suggestion was on these lines. Agreed all of us need to put things back where they came from - it would annoy us at home to find something put it the wrong place so why can’t we do that in the shops?
I understand there are situations that cant be helped. You only need to give it to an employee who would then return it for you. Waste is waste and costs us all.

Gauging from the items that were put in the drink fridge, I’m sure most would have been put back into stock. Maybe not the ice cream though.

Reactions: Macarj and Ricci
This is another example of some people not thinking or giving a cr@p about others. It is very disappointing. I have also noticed that packets of meat half outside the refrigerated section.

• Sad
Reactions: Macarj and Ricci
But what if you’ve been in the shop for 20 minutes and had the refrigerated items in trolly since u walked in door, I always want the meat and perishables in the LAST AISLE furthest away from the entry…have NO idea why they didn’t do this.

Reactions: Ricci

View attachment 16376

Key Takeaways

I saw a mother with her teenage daughter dump a fresh lasagna into the frozen lasagna section because she was too lazy to walk back to the fresh section in Aldi. I was very tempted to say something but these day you are likely to get a mouthful of abuse so I said nothing.

• Sad
the worst thing i have seen is a shopper bring in a takeaway coffee and pie into a store and leave the half eaten pie and the empty coffee container in amongst the clothing section ,,,,it makes my blood boil

• Angry
the current generations have no respect at all....I blame it on the parenting of these children