Which word is the odd one out?

• friend

• toothbrush

• desk

• silver

• egg

Results are only viewable after voting.
TOOTHBRUSH - the only word that is made up of 2 separate words.
It's also the only one that doesn't have an "E".
I'm with you.
However, it's more like a question for the 1% TV game.
Either that, or I have to go to the local primary school and ask for a refresher course.

Reactions: Littleboy8
You can also use silver. It would depend on what form it is in. It could be sold for money or used to make jewellery. All except person are inanimate objects which makes the person the odd one out.

I thought friend as it is the only one alive. I am wondering if there was more to the context of the question if the answer was silver - as it can also be a noun -

Goes to show the teacher doesn't know shite from clay.

What a ridiculous question to set for a child of that age.

Apparently teachers now have a shortened term at Uni & we have known for some time they aren't good when it comes to spelling, which reflects in their students.

Reactions: Veggiepatch
Silver is wrong. It is both a noun and an adjective. You mine for silver (noun). Oxford, Cambridge and Collins dictionaries confirm this.

Has anyone undergone testing for a job interview in the last, guessing 20 years? It is common place to undergo numerous types of testing. Like everything, education progresses with tools and measures to best identify abilities - above and below, both of which need to be considered. I am certainly no expert on this subject. However, I can see great benefit in teachers understanding each student's skills and abilities and targeting those abilities (under or over). I can only see it producing better and more individual learning outcomes for students.

Critical thinking is the act of carefully considering a problem, claim, question, or situation in order to determine the best solution. Reasoning skills, which go hand-in-hand with critical thinking, ask you to base your decisions on facts, evidence, and/or logical conclusions”. This is very important and can be taught (to some degree) - the earlier, the better I think.
Psychometric tests - used to assess a candidate's cognitive ability and their personality.
Aptitude testing
“Measure a narrower range of abilities than intelligence tests do
Used by schools and workplaces
Don't take the ages of test-takers into consideration”

I think it's good that education now goes beyond the basic 3 R’s of the old golden days. Critical thinking for research, relevance, reliability. Surely critical thinking is a more important skill than being able to spell some obscure word? If we don’t teach children to think critically, history will surely continue to repeat itself. Intelligence comes in different forms.

Has anyone undergone testing for a job interview in the last, guessing 20 years? It is common place to undergo numerous types of testing. Like everything, education progresses with tools and measures to best identify abilities - above and below, both of which need to be considered. I am certainly no expert on this subject. However, I can see great benefit in teachers understanding each student's skills and abilities and targeting those abilities (under or over). I can only see it producing better and more individual learning outcomes for students.

Critical thinking is the act of carefully considering a problem, claim, question, or situation in order to determine the best solution. Reasoning skills, which go hand-in-hand with critical thinking, ask you to base your decisions on facts, evidence, and/or logical conclusions”. This is very important and can be taught (to some degree) - the earlier, the better I think.
Psychometric tests - used to assess a candidate's cognitive ability and their personality.
Aptitude testing
“Measure a narrower range of abilities than intelligence tests do
Used by schools and workplaces
Don't take the ages of test-takers into consideration”

I think it's good that education now goes beyond the basic 3 R’s of the old golden days. Critical thinking for research, relevance, reliability. Surely critical thinking is a more important skill than being able to spell some obscure word? If we don’t teach children to think critically, history will surely continue to repeat itself. Intelligence comes in different forms.
and gets them to support their choice of answer.