Which word is the odd one out?

• friend

• toothbrush

• desk

• silver

• egg

Results are only viewable after voting.
Could be Egg as it is the only odd numbered word, all the rest have even numbers of letters also it's the only object that is edible - or it could be Toothbrush as it doesn't have an 'E' in it and all the other words do - or Friend as this is a person and not an object like the rest - or it could be Silver because the color silver is an adjective and every other word is a noun, I'm inclined to go with the last one the answer being Silver as the odd one out.

If you look at word usage, "egg" is the correct answer. It is the only word that can be used as a noun AND a verb.

The noun egg refers to the unborn bird or a zygote (?) in mammals.

The verb egg means to encourage someone, as in "to egg them on".

Don't quote me on the zygote thing. I hated biology.

I think friend as well as we’re talking about 6 year olds and nouns and the periodic table are not on their radar yet

Reactions: DLHM
At first I thought egg, as it is the only word with an odd amount of letters…

“Then I thought there is actually NO correct answer, it is an exercise in explaining your reasoning behind your answer”

Teacher here, I teach grades 4&5, I don’t think they’d be able to answer it very well either.
Those poor little Grade 1’s!!!
How to turn a kid off learning in one stupid question.
This is just ridiculous, I at first thought ‘friend’, only animate object, then I turned to ‘toothbrush’, only word without an ‘e’. 😳😡😳😡

Reactions: DLHM
Having taught six year olds for many years I would say silver because to them the others are nouns and silver is a colour.

Reactions: Bullwinkle
I'd like to know what lesson/ discussion or learning , was had before this question was presented for homework. Homework usually relates to a lesson. It may have been based on something in particular, just each who have answered have a valid reason for their chosen, as all could be right. Sometimes taking a question out of context causes confusion and frustration.

We both know that silver is also a noun but put yourself in the mind of a six year old and I think most Sixers think silver is a colour before thinking of it as a metal.

The correct answer cannot be silver as it is a noun whereas friend is the only abstract concept in the group all others are solid objects, quoted by my husband.😉

The question was put to a group of six year olds. Put yourself into the mind of your average six year old. They don’t think in abstract terms much less be able to define it. There are admittedly several reasons why other answers could be valid but I say again …. Would a six year old think that way?

The question was put to a group of six year olds. Put yourself into the mind of your average six year old. They don’t think in abstract terms much less be able to define it. There are admittedly several reasons why other answers could be valid but I say again …. Would a six year old think that way?
Totally agree.😉

WTF???? What are they teaching kids these days??? Never would have had that asked in grade one, maybe grade 3 or definitely 4! Grade one was learning to read, write the alphabet an basic times tables not that stuff they obviously have these days.

My niece just told me “it is egg, as it is the only one with 3 letters, but it could also be silver because it is the only colour”….

Toothbrush........only word without an 'E'.......simple, even a school kid could answer that one.