Can you believe this mum-of-two only JUST discovered the reason behind abbreviations?

Uh oh, it appears that one mum needs a refresher on her primary school lessons after forgetting the conventions for adding suffixes to ordinal numbers.

Gemma Lou, who is 32 years old, admitted that she only recently understood why certain adverbs, like "first," "second," "third," and so on, are abbreviated with specific letters, such as "1st," "2nd," and "3rd."

In a video she posted on TikTok, she describes how the final couple of letters from the written-out words are taken and put behind the corresponding numbers.

"I recently discovered that the "st" in "1st," "nd" in "2nd," and "rd" in "3rd" are the final letters of the words "first," and so forth," said the mum-of-two from the UK.

4sdCyT-8KS0bCeLB_QY3mIyQWBN2AsXmV1vutebKvaRk-tTNekjiaLk6kpX9zVK44hG_WgWPZ7qAxnNnZMuUCTUBwiqwliQ1pEQvmtK0rEWWlNNKGB9lMrNLlGqRjld4hTM1zReCnxuyCYhIikc

On TikTok, a seemingly basic grammar rule has astonished thousands of users. Credit: TikTok/@gemmawat89.

Since then, the video has received an astounding 2.7 million views and more than 2,500 comments, many of which admit they also "had no idea" the rule even existed.

In the comments section of the video, one user said that they were "absolutely baffled" by the discovery, with another agreeing and adding, "Why did I not know this?"

Others who commented on the post used phrases like "oh my god," "no way," "wait what?" and "I'm genuinely shocked."

On the other hand, many users, some of whom are even non-native English speakers, claimed that they had known the reasoning behind the rule for years and thought it to be "common sense."

"English is my second language and I have known this since primary school," one person wrote. Another one added, "I thought this was a common-sense thing – I've known since primary and I'm 13."

A third user chimed in and added, "I am worried for everyone in the comments."

Errors in grammar can be quite easy to overlook, and they frequently develop into bad habits.

The following are some of the most common grammatical errors in the English language that people frequently make without even realising it:
  • your vs you're (this one is a pet hate of ours)
  • there vs their vs they're
  • to vs too vs two
  • its vs it's
  • affect vs effect
  • than vs then
  • who vs whom
  • lose vs loose
  • brake vs break
  • whether vs weather
What about you, folks? Do you have any particular grammatical pet peeves? And do you believe that grammar instruction in schools should once again be taught properly?

Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
My pet peeves are the use of 'I' when 'me' is correct and the use of 'may' when 'might' is meant. But, as my grandson keeps reminding me, English is a living language and changes all the time. He's right of course, but...

Some peeves:
Use of "alternate" instead of "alternative", very American but often in use here. Squares on chess-boards alternate between black and white. A detour is an alternative route.
"off of" instead of "off" or "from". You wouldn't say "on of", would you?
Use of "bought" and "brought"

Uh oh, it appears that one mum needs a refresher on her primary school lessons after forgetting the conventions for adding suffixes to ordinal numbers.

Gemma Lou, who is 32 years old, admitted that she only recently understood why certain adverbs, like "first," "second," "third," and so on, are abbreviated with specific letters, such as "1st," "2nd," and "3rd."

In a video she posted on TikTok, she describes how the final couple of letters from the written-out words are taken and put behind the corresponding numbers.

"I recently discovered that the "st" in "1st," "nd" in "2nd," and "rd" in "3rd" are the final letters of the words "first," and so forth," said the mum-of-two from the UK.

4sdCyT-8KS0bCeLB_QY3mIyQWBN2AsXmV1vutebKvaRk-tTNekjiaLk6kpX9zVK44hG_WgWPZ7qAxnNnZMuUCTUBwiqwliQ1pEQvmtK0rEWWlNNKGB9lMrNLlGqRjld4hTM1zReCnxuyCYhIikc

On TikTok, a seemingly basic grammar rule has astonished thousands of users. Credit: TikTok/@gemmawat89.

Since then, the video has received an astounding 2.7 million views and more than 2,500 comments, many of which admit they also "had no idea" the rule even existed.

In the comments section of the video, one user said that they were "absolutely baffled" by the discovery, with another agreeing and adding, "Why did I not know this?"

Others who commented on the post used phrases like "oh my god," "no way," "wait what?" and "I'm genuinely shocked."

On the other hand, many users, some of whom are even non-native English speakers, claimed that they had known the reasoning behind the rule for years and thought it to be "common sense."

"English is my second language and I have known this since primary school," one person wrote. Another one added, "I thought this was a common-sense thing – I've known since primary and I'm 13."

Errors in grammar can be quite easy to overlook, and they frequently develop into bad habits.

The following are some of the most common grammatical errors in the English language that people frequently make without even realising it:
  • to vs too vs two
  • its vs it's
  • affect vs effect
  • than vs then
  • who vs whom
  • lose vs loose
  • brake vs break
  • whether vs weather
What about you, folks? Do you have any particular grammatical pet peeves? And do you believe that grammar instruction in schools should once again be taught properly?

Bought and brought, so annoying when the incorrect word is used...

The one that drives me to distraction is 'yous'. This is not a word that has a plural form. And I know several people who actually write 'use' for this incorrect USE of the word.
And me and I are now used incorrectly so often.
I am unashamedly a member of the grammar police, cannot help myself, I read something in a book, news paper or on Facebook and I am instantly correcting it in my head, I make allowances when I realise that English is not the writers first language but some common mistakes drive me crazy, one of the main culprits is my niece and others in the same age group and their use of the word of instead of the word have, come on kids those words do not mean the same bloody thing !!

• to vs too vs two
  • its vs it's
  • affect vs effect
  • than vs then
  • who vs whom
  • lose vs loose
  • brake vs break
  • whether vs weather

Grammatical & spelling errors are 2 of my pet peeves as well as the use of the word "literally" when it doesn't make any sense.
Grammar instruction definitely needs to be taught properly in schools.

Reactions: relljube and Ricci

• to vs too vs two
  • its vs it's
  • affect vs effect
  • than vs then
  • who vs whom
  • lose vs loose
  • brake vs break
  • whether vs weather

Aloud vs allowed I see ofter

Reactions: TheBear and Ricci
M

• to vs too vs two
  • its vs it's
  • affect vs effect
  • than vs then
  • who vs whom
  • lose vs loose
  • brake vs break
  • whether vs weather

• to vs too vs two
  • its vs it's
  • affect vs effect
  • than vs then
  • who vs whom
  • lose vs loose
  • brake vs break
  • whether vs weather

Fair dinkum, did young people actually go to school as well as listening to their parents? More attention seeking by posting this stuff. I wouldn't be admitting my ignorance if I was her....and don't start me on spelling and grammar, not to mention etiquette and manners.

I hate the way most educated people, especially journos, so-called health officials, and some politicians incorrectly use the words precise and exact. Two different meanings. Exact is how close you are to the truth and precise is how many times you can do the same thing. Precision is repetition; exact is just one go. Take a dart board. Hitting the bullseye is exact, hitting it three times is precise. Or, I was born on exactly such and such a day, I was not born precisely on that day

Reactions: Ricci
Oh dear.....I can't help mentally correcting grammatical errors and spelling mistakes either.
The use of plural verbs with singular nouns is common, especially by the TV newsreaders.
For example, " The local hospital are trying to raise funds......" . The local hospital is one unit, singular, so are should be is.
Another one is the incorrect use of apostrophes, as in potatoe's, tomatoe's on the signs in greengrocers.
Or it's rays, for the sun's rays.....it should be its rays. It's = it is.

I have 3 pet hates. People tack "you know" on the end of sentences, if they think I know, why do they waste time telljng me. The habit of starting every sentence with so, seems to be spreading. Why is everything from the Harbour Bridge to sports star now iconic. An icon is a religious image, not very many sports "stars" are religious going by their behaviour. A bridge definitely is not religious.

• to vs too vs two
  • its vs it's
  • affect vs effect
  • than vs then
  • who vs whom
  • lose vs loose
  • brake vs break
  • whether vs weather

Ask people to spell the word twelfth, you can bet 9 out of 10 can't spell it.

Myself!! "Please see myself" or "give it to myself" which is so wrong! 'Please see me' or 'give it to me' sounds much better.

Another thing newsreaders do is to get phrases muddled so what they read sounds ridiculous. Don't the news writers have proof readers? Then there are traffic reports when you're advised to find another 'rout' rather than 'route'.

Reactions: Ricci
My pet peeve is using the word "less" when the word "fewer" should be used. The simple rule is, if you can count them, then it's "fewer". For example, "fewer" people (of course, you could possibly have "less" people if they had all lost weight or had their legs cut off)!

Drilled into me by my grandmother I still hear her words in response to these two
’Can I have ….
You can do anything you want but whether you may or not is another matter - May I have
and

I borrowed (x) off him
no you didn’t you borrowed (x) FROM him