Can you believe the demands in Channel Nine's secret letter to an entire street?

We’ve all experienced how stressful it can be when unexpected visitors arrive at our door, but imagine if an entire television network knocked on your door without warning…

Unfortunately, this became their reality last Monday for the residents living on Charming Street in Hampton East in the Bayside Council area of Melbourne’s southeast.

It was reported that Channel Nine sent a letter to homeowners along Charming Street, informing them of the adjustments and restrictions they needed to follow, just five days before the network was set to film a commercial for its hit show, The Block.

69137733-11904813-image-m-10_1679867498760.jpg

The letter was sent out by Channel Nine to the residents to inform them of the network’s project in their area. Credit: Facebook.

The letter–that residents dubbed ‘entitled’–requested that residents move their cars and not park them on the street or their own driveways.

The note read: ‘We will bring various 7 x 1950's cars to park on the street and period piece props and costumes.’

‘As we are dressing the street, we do request on Friday evening that you please not park on the street or in your driveways.

‘We would like to keep modern cars out of the shots. If you need assistance to move your vehicles we can assist you in the morning.’

According to the letter, it is advised that individuals residing in house numbers 24 and 25 also refrain from parking their vehicles outside of their homes on Saturday.

Unsurprisingly, the note sparked outrage amongst social media users, and many condemned the network for imposing these demands on residents.

One person wrote: ‘Brilliant!!!! They've got a bloody cheek, haven't they? Five days notice to basically cancel your entire Saturday.’

‘Why cancel your Saturday? Sounds like a great day to throw an Aussie Saturday street party,’ added another.

69142095-11904813-image-a-1_1679876997060.jpg

The homeowners were in disbelief to receive the ‘last-minute’ notice from Channel Nine. Credit: Google Maps.

Meanwhile, others advised the residents residing along Charming Street in Hampton East to seek compensation from Channel Nine for their difficulties.

'Dear Channel Nine, I'd be delighted to acquiesce to your requirements for filming,' one wrote, urging other residents to follow their lead of writing a letter to the network.

'As this then makes me part of your production, I'm sure your accounting department would have no trouble approving payment of the attached invoice for my services.’

'Once I have confirmation, in writing, of your acceptance of my recompense, I will make the arrangements you have requested.'

Another agreed: 'In all seriousness, get some money out of them.’

'Park cars on your lawn and invite someone over for a BBQ in the front yard.’

'Maybe keep the cars up past the letterbox so it's on your private property rather than the council's, but still very visible. Make some noise in case they're recording audio.’

'They need to release forms for anyone with their face in shot.'

The commenter asserted that production companies are typically required to provide location fees, sharing: ‘I’ve filmed many commercials.’

The user expressed surprise that the production company had taken over an entire street, imposed restrictions on each resident, and failed to provide any location fees.

They further suggested that the company assumed the residents would be naive and feel privileged to have their street featured on television.

Key Takeaways
  • Channel Nine sent a letter to homeowners on Charming Street in Hampton East, Melbourne, requesting them to follow adjustments and restrictions for filming a commercial.
  • The letter asked residents to move their cars and not park them on the street or driveways, sparking outrage among social media users.
  • Some advised the residents to pursue compensation from Channel Nine for the inconvenience.
  • Channel Nine has not yet commented on the matter.

Channel Nine has yet to comment on the matter.

Members, how would you feel if this happened on your street? Do you think it is right for a production company to demand such treatment without giving compensation? Or do you think that the opportunity to have their street on The Block commercial gives the residents something in return?

Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
I'm with you as far as these fake "reality' shows go. They are neither one thing nor the the other and certainly have no entertainment value for me. I binge on re-runs of old favourites on the +channels these days.
The Internet Archive is a great site for movies and audio files, much better than the bovine excreta dished up these days.

We’ve all experienced how stressful it can be when unexpected visitors arrive at our door, but imagine if an entire television network knocked on your door without warning…

Unfortunately, this became their reality last Monday for the residents living on Charming Street in Hampton East in the Bayside Council area of Melbourne’s southeast.

It was reported that Channel Nine sent a letter to homeowners along Charming Street, informing them of the adjustments and restrictions they needed to follow, just five days before the network was set to film a commercial for its hit show, The Block.

The letter was sent out by Channel Nine to the residents to inform them of the network’s project in their area. Credit: Facebook.

The letter–that residents dubbed ‘entitled’–requested that residents move their cars and not park them on the street or their own driveways.

The note read: ‘We will bring various 7 x 1950's cars to park on the street and period piece props and costumes.’

‘As we are dressing the street, we do request on Friday evening that you please not park on the street or in your driveways.

‘We would like to keep modern cars out of the shots. If you need assistance to move your vehicles we can assist you in the morning.’

According to the letter, it is advised that individuals residing in house numbers 24 and 25 also refrain from parking their vehicles outside of their homes on Saturday.

Unsurprisingly, the note sparked outrage amongst social media users, and many condemned the network for imposing these demands on residents.

One person wrote: ‘Brilliant!!!! They've got a bloody cheek, haven't they? Five days notice to basically cancel your entire Saturday.’

‘Why cancel your Saturday? Sounds like a great day to throw an Aussie Saturday street party,’ added another.

The homeowners were in disbelief to receive the ‘last-minute’ notice from Channel Nine. Credit: Google Maps.

Meanwhile, others advised the residents residing along Charming Street in Hampton East to seek compensation from Channel Nine for their difficulties.

'Dear Channel Nine, I'd be delighted to acquiesce to your requirements for filming,' one wrote, urging other residents to follow their lead of writing a letter to the network.

'As this then makes me part of your production, I'm sure your accounting department would have no trouble approving payment of the attached invoice for my services.’

'Once I have confirmation, in writing, of your acceptance of my recompense, I will make the arrangements you have requested.'

'Maybe keep the cars up past the letterbox so it's on your private property rather than the council's, but still very visible. Make some noise in case they're recording audio.’

The commenter asserted that production companies are typically required to provide location fees, sharing: ‘I’ve filmed many commercials.’

The user expressed surprise that the production company had taken over an entire street, imposed restrictions on each resident, and failed to provide any location fees.

They further suggested that the company assumed the residents would be naive and feel privileged to have their street featured on television.

Key Takeaways

• Channel Nine sent a letter to homeowners on Charming Street in Hampton East, Melbourne, requesting them to follow adjustments and restrictions for filming a commercial.
  • The letter asked residents to move their cars and not park them on the street or driveways, sparking outrage among social media users.
  • Some advised the residents to pursue compensation from Channel Nine for the inconvenience.

Members, how would you feel if this happened on your street? Do you think it is right for a production company to demand such treatment without giving compensation? Or do you think that the opportunity to have their street on The Block commercial gives the residents something in return?

No bloody way!.Why should residents have to find somewhere else for their vehicles, especially on 5 days notice. I'd tell them to bugger off!

Reactions: Ricci
Far out why does everything have to be about money? It is just a small inconvenience for a few hours. Be nice.
That inconvenient few hours could extend to weeks with people driving up and down your street, gawking. Could well end up being a right royal pain in the proverbial for months

Reactions: Ricci

Key Takeaways