Can parents give their children too much attention?

Parents today spend more time with their children than ever before. Yet, at the same time, they worry more than previous generations about doing enough – believing a lack of engagement may harm their child’s future success and wellbeing.

This can have negative impacts. Increased social pressures on mothers to be engaged with their children, compared to fathers, is negatively affecting maternal wellbeing. The COVID-19 pandemic and home schooling intensified this.

This raises an important question: how much attention is enough? Is it harmful to leave your child to their own devices? Should you ever ignore a child? Or conversely, can you overly engage with your child? As is usually the case with child development, the answer is somewhere in the middle (and most parents, reassuringly, are doing “enough”).

We know that a supportive parenting approach is important for child development. Attachment theory states that when a baby has its needs met by a parent or primary caregiver in an appropriate and consistent way, they are more likely to go on to develop a secure attachment that person.

This helps them to feel more confident in themselves and the world, leading to more positive cognitive, social and emotional development. However, while secure attachment is important, ever rising levels of attention won’t necessarily increase it proportionally. Instead, it is important to carefully consider the degree of engagement and balance this with supporting children to reach appropriate stages of resilience and independence.

One piece of evidence which gets dragged up a lot when attachment is discussed is research on the outcomes of children placed in Romanian orphanages. These children were typically significantly deprived of interaction, affection and care and did not have opportunity to develop a secure attachment. Studies of their later development found that they had poorer physical, cognitive and social developmental outcomes.

These studies are important, but a world away from the spectrum of parental engagement that most parents worry about today.

Research examining more typical parent-child relationships finds that, yes, when mothers and fathers are more connected to and involved with their children, social and emotional outcomes improve.

Talking and reading to children in their early years is particularly important for language and literacy skills. Listening to, and supporting, children to understand and learn to regulate their own emotions is also important for later emotional and social wellbeing.

Curiosity, confidence and narcissism​

On the other hand, children also need room to take the lead in their own growth and development.

Overly intensive or “helicopter” parenting, where parents are reluctant to leave their child to experience activities alone (obviously sometimes this is impossible, for example if the child has additional learning needs), can actually increase risk of anxiety and poorer coping skills in the children when they become teenagers and young adults.

That’s because children learn through having the opportunity to make mistakes, taking small, age-appropriate risks during play and having the chance to decide which activity they will engage in.

This builds feelings of competence, agency and autonomy. Boredom, in moderation, also encourages active and creative play which has many positive outcomes for physical, cognitive and social development, and has also been linked to increased curiosity.

file-20230621-19-ys8t3j.jpg

Boredom can breed creativity. Aiman Dairabaeva/Shuttestock

Conversely, when a child’s day is controlled for them and their path always smoothed, they can struggle to develop the coping skills and resilience needed for everyday life.

And while it may seem attention will ultimately boost confidence, there is some evidence showing that when parents are overly focused on their children – living their lives through them, constantly validating them and putting intense pressure on them to perform – this can increase narcissistic traits in children when they reach young adulthood.

Changing and adapting​

How much engagement a child needs also naturally changes over time. Babies and children develop physically and emotionally as they grow, and parenting that adapts to these changes is typically associated with better outcomes.

It doesn’t make sense to leave a young baby who has no ability to support themselves alone for long periods to “encourage their independence”. That will instead likely increase stress hormone levels in their young, developing brains. But telling your pre-teen that they need to entertain themselves for the afternoon (at home) is supporting their growth.

This brings us the concept of a happy medium and one of my favourite 20th century paediatricians – Donald Winnicott and his concept of “good enough mothering”. Winnicott spent many years watching mothers and babies and concluded that sometimes not being able to meet a baby’s needs immediately and perfectly was a good thing.

Although he believed that responding to a baby’s needs was important, he also believed that sometimes, having to wait a little because you are finishing something else, helped a baby learn that although they are loved and cared for, the world is not a perfect place.

This theory has been explored over the years and written about extensively in terms of broader “good enough parenting”, which is essentially supporting a happy medium.

Finally, one fascinating study looked at how much parents felt pressure to spend more time engaging with their children, and how much time they actually spent reading, doing sports, or watching television with them.

Surprisingly, there was no significant relationship between the parents who felt the most and least pressure, suggesting that no matter how much time you spend engaging with your child, those feelings never really go away.

Perhaps that is the most important lesson. The vast majority of parents do enough (and if you’re worrying about it, it’s likely you do). Instead those feelings are driven by social judgement of all things parenting related. Let’s challenge that, instead of spending all that energy on worrying whether our children get enough attention.

This article was first published on The Conversation, and was written by Amy Brown, Professor of Child Public Health, Swansea University

Sponsored
Holy cow.
It's a miracle any of us baby boomers survived without mental breakdown. Enough already.
Here's my personal opinion on the generation of today who are raising the generation of tomorrow.
Try getting their faces off the technology and interact on a personal basis more often. Lock the things away and try talking to each other. We used to insist on family catch up time. Sit down together at the dining table, ban all devices and talk about your day .... everyone regardless of age deserves a voice.

Show your kids you care about who they are, what they think and what they hope to achieve.

Don't criticise just because YOU want better. Don't reward bad behaviour.

Follow through on discipline warnings.

And, most important of all ..... love them and accept them for who they are.
It can be a mine field out in the real world if we let it. Make your home the quiet in the storm.

Even the generation before this need to learn effective communication. I don't why it isn't tqaught at schools. A lot of them go around accusing people or judging them in a negative way. There should be no such word as "hate". It is a persons actions that you maybe don't like, but that could be their choice.

Even the generation before this need to learn effective communication. I don't why it isn't tqaught at schools. A lot of them go around accusing people or judging them in a negative way. There should be no such word as "hate". It is a persons actions that you maybe don't like, but that could be their choice.
What about the parents doing the communication? Not everything is the responsibility of the schools!

Reactions: Thecheesequeen
A study reported on today from SA said that children need more 'green time' and less 'screen time'. The parents agreed but only IF the natural environment (the green) was not dirty or messy! Go figure. No wonder kids have mental problems.

No electronics at the dinner table and everybody has to tell what was the worst of their day and best of their day. That way the whole family communicates at least once a day.

During my childhood, being the 2nd eldest of 10 kids, there was little time for 1:1 time with parents, they were always busy working or looking after multiple children whilst being a house proud mum. From a young age I helped my mum with washing, cooking, cleaning, anything I could do to ease her workload. We had family mealtimes to chat, family story time, group book reading where everyone who could read took a turn. I used to sit with mum at night after the other kids went to bed and help her with mending, sewing, knitting etc. sometimes we chatted, or read books. Mum always tried to attend our school sports days, concerts etc. I never felt that I missed out on anything. With my 2 kids hubby and I were very hands on parents, we attended all our kids sporting, school, out of school activities etc. sometimes 1 of us, sometimes both. Mobile phones, computers, game systems weren’t around until they were almost grown up so we read books, watched TV, went to movies and picnics with them. We always put their needs before ours, couldn’t understand people who would go away and leave their kids with relatives or friends for weeks at a time. We decided before we had our kids that they would be our responsibility until they were able to be self sufficient. We have a wonderful relationship with both of them, their partners and kids. Now with the grandchildren they live in a high tech world, phones constantly attached to their body somewhere. They rarely read real books, get them on the phone. They have a rule that they don’t have any devices at the table at mealtimes, parents included. They must have a minimum 2 hours a day away from their tech gear, the same rules apply when they visit or stay with us. The youngest at 8 doesn’t have a phone, she is allowed 2 hours a day on her iPad, and 2 hours watching TV, videos, DVDs, or playing on the family game system. School days are 1 hour of each. When I have them for visits we do craft, garden, cook, have tea parties. I give them money to help do jobs that I find hard to do now. We take them for drives, on picnics etc. I have always attended all their school stuff and dance concerts, having just attended a dance concert for the 8 year old last weekend. The older 3 are in high school now, so they don’t have the same amount of school things that primary schools have. We FaceTime them weekly when we won’t be seeing them much during school terms, they no longer live close enough to visit as often as we’d like. The 18 year old has lived with us for the last four years as he preferred to stay at the same school when his dad moved. He now works close to where we live so will stay living with us until he is ready to move out on his own, hopefully not until he has finished his apprenticeship. The love and support we get from our kids and grandkids makes everything we have done and continue to do for them totally worthwhile.

A study reported on today from SA said that children need more 'green time' and less 'screen time'. The parents agreed but only IF the natural environment (the green) was not dirty or messy! Go figure. No wonder kids have mental problems.
Hail Hail mud pies and snails!!!!!