Can ageing men avoid sexual health problems? A doctor weighs in

Sex is often an important part of a healthy, fulfilling life. As we age, however, it's normal to experience changes in our sex lives.

But are issues with erectile function an inevitable part of the ageing process for men? GP Dr Martin Scurr is here to help answer this question.

For the past 15 years or so, David (68) had been unable to get regular erections. Understandably, he was concerned—wondering whether this was just a part of getting older.

He wrote to Dr Scurr, saying: ‘For the past 15 years or so, I've not been able to get the erections I used to. Is this simply an age thing? I am 68, but lean and very fit. I exercise regularly (sit-ups, weights, etc.), play a lot of badminton and I eat extremely well.’

shutterstock_2150188009 (1).jpg
It's more common than you think. Image Credit: Shutterstock

Here’s what the doctor had to say.

Dr Scurr noted that a decline in erectile function is very common—one in two men between the ages of 40 and 70 will experience this to some degree. He continued, saying, ‘men are often too embarrassed to seek help, so there will be many readers grateful for your letter’.

According to Dr Scurr, there can be other causes at play, too, including an issue with vascular function.

To maintain an erection, it is necessary for there to be an increased flow of blood into the penis. The chemical messenger nitric oxide (which relaxes the muscles that control the blood vessels of the penis) comes into play. There are certain risk factors that can upset this fragile balance.

Smoking, high cholesterol, and a dropping testosterone level are all possible culprits. Moreover, other conditions like diabetes can also make matters worse; due to high levels of cholesterol, the blood vessels found in the penis can become clogged up. High blood pressure can also reduce blood flow. This is why erectile dysfunction is now considered a marker for detecting coronary artery disease.

Interestingly, diet doesn’t seem to have a huge impact. ‘I know of no data confirming that there are any food or drink choices, apart from alcohol, that lead to erectile failure,’ explained Dr Scurr.

He continued, ‘You clearly have a healthy lifestyle, but I would still recommend seeing a doctor who can arrange blood tests to look for signs of diabetes and low testosterone (testosterone levels decline with age, but that decline is accelerated in men with type 2 diabetes—a third of men with type 2 have low testosterone).’

So if you have the same concerns as David, blood tests are a great starting point.

According to Dr Scurr, an ultrasound scan may as be needed to look at the blood vessels supplying the penis. This will tell your doctor if narrowed arteries are blocking the flow of blood.

Key Takeaways
  • A decline in erectile function is a common problem affecting around half of all men between the ages of 40 and 70.
  • Lifestyle changes such as cessation of smoking and managing diabetes can help improve erectile function, as these conditions can disrupt blood flow essential for maintaining an erection.
  • Testing can be beneficial for diagnosing potential causes of erectile dysfunction. This can include blood tests to measure testosterone levels or look for signs of diabetes and an ultrasound to examine blood flow in the penis.

So, members, take heart—age may not necessarily mean sexual health problems.

Ageing is as natural as the setting sun, and so are some of the problems that accompany it. But with today’s medical advances and awareness, many issues that your fathers or grandfathers might have suffered in silence can now be effectively managed or even overcome.
Make sure to speak to your GP if you have any concerns, and ensure that you get the proper medical advice and guidance for any issues you might be facing.

And remember, health is wealth.

You might also be interested in reading: Sex After Prostate Treatment: How To Restart Your Sex Life.

We hope this article has shed some useful light on this topic. If you have further questions, you can ask them in the comments section below or email them to us at [email protected].

Sponsored

Sex is often an important part of a healthy, fulfilling life. As we age, however, it's normal to experience changes in our sex lives.

But are issues with erectile function an inevitable part of the ageing process for men? GP Dr Martin Scurr is here to help answer this question.

For the past 15 years or so, David (68) had been unable to get regular erections. Understandably, he was concerned—wondering whether this was just a part of getting older.

He wrote to Dr Scurr, saying: ‘For the past 15 years or so, I've not been able to get the erections I used to. Is this simply an age thing? I am 68, but lean and very fit. I exercise regularly (sit-ups, weights, etc.), play a lot of badminton and I eat extremely well.’

View attachment 26912

Dr Scurr noted that a decline in erectile function is very common—one in two men between the ages of 40 and 70 will experience this to some degree. He continued, saying, ‘men are often too embarrassed to seek help, so there will be many readers grateful for your letter’.

According to Dr Scurr, there can be other causes at play, too, including an issue with vascular function.

To maintain an erection, it is necessary for there to be an increased flow of blood into the penis. The chemical messenger nitric oxide (which relaxes the muscles that control the blood vessels of the penis) comes into play. There are certain risk factors that can upset this fragile balance.

Smoking, high cholesterol, and a dropping testosterone level are all possible culprits. Moreover, other conditions like diabetes can also make matters worse; due to high levels of cholesterol, the blood vessels found in the penis can become clogged up. High blood pressure can also reduce blood flow. This is why erectile dysfunction is now considered a marker for detecting coronary artery disease.

Interestingly, diet doesn’t seem to have a huge impact. ‘I know of no data confirming that there are any food or drink choices, apart from alcohol, that lead to erectile failure,’ explained Dr Scurr.

He continued, ‘You clearly have a healthy lifestyle, but I would still recommend seeing a doctor who can arrange blood tests to look for signs of diabetes and low testosterone (testosterone levels decline with age, but that decline is accelerated in men with type 2 diabetes—a third of men with type 2 have low testosterone).’

So if you have the same concerns as David, blood tests are a great starting point.

According to Dr Scurr, an ultrasound scan may as be needed to look at the blood vessels supplying the penis. This will tell your doctor if narrowed arteries are blocking the flow of blood.

Key Takeaways

• A decline in erectile function is a common problem affecting around half of all men between the ages of 40 and 70.
  • Lifestyle changes such as cessation of smoking and managing diabetes can help improve erectile function, as these conditions can disrupt blood flow essential for maintaining an erection.
  • Testing can be beneficial for diagnosing potential causes of erectile dysfunction. This can include blood tests to measure testosterone levels or look for signs of diabetes and an ultrasound to examine blood flow in the penis.

Ageing is as natural as the setting sun, and so are some of the problems that accompany it. But with today’s medical advances and awareness, many issues that your fathers or grandfathers might have suffered in silence can now be effectively managed or even overcome.
Make sure to speak to your GP if you have any concerns, and ensure that you get the proper medical advice and guidance for any issues you might be facing.

You might also be interested in reading: Sex After Prostate Treatment: How To Restart Your Sex Life.

We hope this article has shed some useful light on this topic. If you have further questions, you can ask them in the comments section below or email them to us at [email protected].
Also if you chew on 2 to 3 cloves a day a great sex enhancer keeps your body and mind interested

Might also be none of these. A partner who you might love may have started to have a loss of interest in sex and out of love and respect, you would oblige your partner. This may become an emotional roller coaster ride.

Reactions: Babybird
When I was In the Sixties I was having a bit of a problem, my Doctor re commended an injection of the Prescription he gave he gave me a few minutes befoe sex and it worked perfectly and the problem righted itself after a few months.

When I was In the Sixties I was having a bit of a problem, my Doctor re commended an injection of the Prescription he gave he gave me a few minutes befoe sex and it worked perfectly and the problem righted itself after a few months.
What injection are you referring to Dennis?

View attachment 26912

Key Takeaways

If you can get it up, then go for it?

Blood flow is key for maintaining an erection, and things like smoking, high cholesterol, and even diabetes can affect it. Interestingly, diet doesn't seem to have a huge impact. If you're in a similar boat as David, seeing a doctor for blood tests and maybe even an ultrasound scan could be a good idea. These steps can help identify any underlying issues and guide you on the right path. It's cool to know that today's medical advances can help manage these concerns. So, for all the members out there, don't hesitate to reach out to your GP if you have any worries. Remember, health matters! And by the way, if you're curious about exploring new experiences, you might want to check out a Prostitute Service.

Last edited:
Reactions: Observer
When I was In the Sixties I was having a bit of a problem, my Doctor re commended an injection of the Prescription he gave he gave me a few minutes before sex and it worked perfectly and the problem righted itself after a few months.
An ejection of what?

Might also be none of these. A partner who you might love may have started to have a loss of interest in sex and out of love and respect, you would oblige your partner. This may become an emotional roller coaster ride.
You can introduce different aids to stimulate each other as well as videos and oil massage etc experiment show the other part of you its exciting to experiment....a friend once put it..if you don't continue to be active a d service your sex after a while it suffers....like a car if you don't give a service it does not run well...just example ...experiment put fun into the bedroom

Reactions: Observer
You can introduce different aids to stimulate each other as well as videos and oil massage etc experiment show the other part of you its exciting to experiment....a friend once put it..if you don't continue to be active a d service your sex after a while it suffers....like a car if you don't give a service it does not run well...just example ...experiment put fun into the bedroom
That's pretty accurate. Have thought for many years that my wife could be somewhat prudish.
If you don't use it you lose it.

That's pretty accurate. Have thought for many years that my wife could be somewhat prudish.
If you don't use it you lose it.
You just have to show her what you like and ask about her fantasy too.....don't know how many years you been married but..it's like reading same chapter day after day what worked for you than was fine but make more exciting have fun many aids for men and women now days, and it is fun to experiment it makes marriage new again...and exciting...get bottle baby oil..begin full body massage get to know every curve touch every part...most obvious part leave to the end by than she is excited you are too.
Next time she gives you massage and so on..

You just have to show her what you like and ask about her fantasy too.....don't know how many y years you been married but..it's like reading same chapter day after day what worked for you than was fine but make more exciting have fun many aids for men and wome6 now days and it is fun to experiment it makes marriage new again...and exciting
Am 63, married for just over 30 years. I know she has remained loyal as I have to her. Both very open minded and even tried plenty of aids but if she has lost interest, I can't force anything on to her. I don't have that right. Been taking matters in to my own hands for quite sometime now.

Am 63, married for just over 30 years. I know she has remained loyal as I have to her. Both very open minded and even tried plenty of aids but if she has lost interest, I can't force anything on to her. I don't have that right. Been taking matters in to my own hands for quite sometime now.
Have you ever sat down had a serious talk aske her what she would like, what would make her interested what turns her on etc..
I understand what you are saying...ask her express what would make her interested again..
Maybe her sex drive different to yours...henceforth the cloves 2 every morning might put that on track who knows.

Also a romantic wkend away...little notes you can leave for her...love notes.
Text message etc.
I would love to do this...would you be receptive if I did etc..just thought.

Have you ever sat down had a serious talk aske her what she would like, what would make her interested what turns her on etc..
I understand what you are saying...ask her express what would make her interested again..
Maybe her sex drive different to yours...henceforth the cloves 2 every morning might put that on track who knows.

Also a romantic wkend away...little notes you can leave for her...love notes.
Text message etc.
I would love to do this...would you be receptive if I did etc..just thought.
:) Have done all of those things. Seems it is all l ever think about according to her. Up until the last couple of years we were both very active and her drive was as high as mine but not now. My drive, or so l believe, has not diminished any whereas hers has. I have to respect that. I don't believe she would be open to chewing on a couple of cloves daily and I certainly don't need to. I have even gone as far as suggesting a councilor but she is not open to exposing herself to a stranger. Seems she has imply lost an interest and l have been left to my own devices. A hall pass is out of the question and l would be seeing my belongings sitting outside by the front door if l looked elsewhere and were discovered. Basically, damned if l do, damned if l don't.
Oh well, l guess it is what it is.

:) Have done all of those things. Seems it is all l ever think about according to her. Up until the last couple of years we were both very active and her drive was as high as mine but not now. My drive, or so l believe, has not diminished any whereas hers has. I have to respect that. I don't believe she would be open to chewing on a couple of cloves daily and I certainly don't need to. I have even gone as far as suggesting a councilor but she is not open to exposing herself to a stranger. Seems she has imply lost an interest and l have been left to my own devices. A hall pass is out of the question and l would be seeing my belongings sitting outside by the front door if l looked elsewhere and were discovered. Basically, damned if l do, damned if l don't.
Oh well, l guess it is what it is.
Some times could be a hamone imbalance who knows....has she woman dr she can talk to? but that is ashamed.
Am 68 maybe am the only one oversexed....the the cloves talking LOL....
Anyway hope things improve.

Some times could be a hamone imbalance who knows....has she woman dr she can talk to? but that is ashamed.
Am 68 maybe am the only one oversexed....the the cloves talking LOL....
Anyway hope things improve.
She is not willing to discuss any of this issue with her female GP as she feels it is a personal matter.
Sad thing is, she says she enjoys it whenever it happens.
I presume you swear black and blue that the cloves work for you? I am also going to cheekily presume, your partner is one lucky fella? hehehehe