Business owner who lost $10,000 in previous scam ditches Optus altogether after second attack

In an age where our personal and professional lives are increasingly intertwined with digital technology, the security of our online accounts and personal information has never been more critical.

Yet, as we've seen with the distressing experience of one Townsville business owner, even the most vigilant can fall victim to sophisticated fraud attacks.

His ordeal with Optus, which resulted in a staggering loss due to fraudulent activity, is a stark reminder of the vulnerabilities within our digital ecosystems.

Andrew Ryder's nightmare began when scammers, impersonating him, contacted Optus and managed to transfer his phone number to a new SIM card.

With control over his phone number, they bypassed security measures and siphoned $10,000 from his bank account.

‘Then I get an SMS suggesting that my details in my Optus account have been altered,’ he recounted.

compressed-shutterstock_1604981482.jpeg
Despite securing his Optus account, Andrew Ryder found his account accessed again by fraudsters for a second time. Credits: Shutterstock

Despite Optus assisting him in recovering his stolen phone number after six days, the fraudsters struck again, altering his account details and leaving Mr Ryder dumbfounded at the breach of his newly updated, obscure password.

‘I obviously had changed the password,’ Mr Ryder asserted.

‘It was a completely obscure number and I have now subsequently changed it since the second breach.’

Mr Ryder stated that Optus staff informed him that fraudsters might have retained access to his account because they had his phone number when he changed his password.

An Optus spokesperson mentioned that the company advised Mr Ryder on how to protect his account, such as changing his phone number and account number, and adding him to a ‘hot list’ that would require in-person photo ID verification for any orders.

Mr Ryder was initially hesitant to change his phone number because it had long been associated with his jet ski and boat licencing business.

‘It is on signage, it is on advertising material and yes, all of that would have to get changed,’ he lamented.

However, he stated that the recent breach prompted him to change his personal number, and business number, and ultimately switch from Optus entirely.

‘I lay awake at night thinking about it,’ Mr Ryder remarked.

‘I'd had a thought that perhaps they have even redirected my mail because things had taken quite a long time to get here.’

‘My phone lost service yesterday and I immediately suspected further fraud, but it was a technical issue — but straightaway that is where my mind goes,’ he added.

The $10,000 initially withdrawn from Mr Ryder's bank account was refunded by his financial institution.

However, he mentioned that rebranding his business and implementing additional security measures would incur significant expenses.

‘I've gone and bought extra security for all of my devices, and I've had those devices professionally cleaned,’ Mr Ryder shared.

‘I've purchased a program that searches the dark web to see if more information has been released there — we're talking in the thousands of dollars.’

Optus, for its part, stated that it would continue to assist Mr Ryder and advised all customers to remain cautious regarding their personal information.

‘Regularly change passwords, [do] not re-use passwords between multiple accounts and be wary of sharing personal details and identity documents,’ a spokesperson advised.

Mr Ryder mentioned his plan to lodge a complaint with the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman, seeking recourse for the ordeal he endured.

The recent case of fraud targeting Mr Ryder underscores the importance of vigilance in protecting personal information and accounts.

This incident sheds light on the growing risks of fraud in today's digital world, as highlighted by another Optus customer who lost $8,500 and his identity while on holiday due to a similar phone scam.
Key Takeaways
  • Townsville business owner Andrew Ryder suffered a $10,000 loss when his Optus account was hacked and his phone number was illegally moved to a new SIM card.
  • Despite measures taken to secure his account after the first breach, the fraudsters managed to access his account for a second time.
  • Due to ongoing security concerns, the business owner decided to change his personal and business phone numbers and leave Optus after the second breach.
  • The victim incurred additional costs after enhancing security and checking for his information on the dark web, although the bank reimbursed the stolen funds.
  • Mr Ryder mentioned his plan to lodge a complaint with the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman.
Have you had your own experiences with online security breaches? What measures have you taken to protect yourself? Share your stories and tips in the comments below.

• Wow
Reactions: Liag and PattiB
Sponsored
Calling @Greg350! What is your "expert" take on this? Why didn't Mr Ryder's super duper secure dumb phone multi level security measures stop this?

With control over his phone number, they bypassed security measures and siphoned $10,000 from his bank account.

What lame excuse will you come up with to defend the "sophisticated" phone security systems which obviously don't work!

Reactions: Rob44 and Bridgit
Optus tried to assist him with suggestions on how to protect himself and he said it was too expensive and blames Optus for his ordeal? Maybe Mr Ryder needs a reality check.
I think he has had a reality check - twice he was breached with Optus! Smart move to get away from Optus and from what he has said he has spent money and has had to rename his business - not easy and can affect him ongoing until customers get familiar with the changes.

Reactions: Rob44
The only good security is clearly not to have a mobile 'phone and use copper-wire telegraphy whilst paying bills by cash or cheque. Damn; I'm old and boring.

Carthago delenda est!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Veggiepatch
Calling @Greg350! What is your "expert" take on this? Why didn't Mr Ryder's super duper secure dumb phone multi level security measures stop this?

What lame excuse will you come up with to defend the "sophisticated" phone security systems which obviously don't work!
Do we have the full story?
What's been left out?
He got his money back.

This is not about his phone, it's about the lack of security at Optus -
"Andrew Ryder's nightmare began when scammers, impersonating him, contacted Optus and managed to transfer his phone number to a new SIM card."

The scammers did not use his phone, they called a person, THAT'S what went wrong. Either Optus fell down on this OR more likely the criminal has obtained this persons details somehow, we do not know the full circumstances, what this person may have let out in some other way. Date of birth, mother's maiden name, personal questions, Optus would have a security system in place to ensure the person on the phone IS actually that person. This could happen to many accounts, long before mobile phones were a thing.

IF that's what actually happened. Of course you just read any story in the media and believe it as fact.

You are on the internet, you better cancel that, ANYTHING you do on there can be compromising your security.

Last edited:
Reactions: NotNats
Do we have the full story?
What's been left out?
He got his money back.

This is not about his phone, it's about the lack of security at Optus -
"Andrew Ryder's nightmare began when scammers, impersonating him, contacted Optus and managed to transfer his phone number to a new SIM card."

The scammers did not use his phone, they called a person, THAT'S what went wrong. Either Optus fell down on this OR more likely the criminal has obtained this persons details somehow, we do not know the full circumstances, what this person may have let out in some other way. Date of birth, mother's maiden name, personal questions, Optus would have a security system in place to ensure the person on the phone IS actually that person. This could happen to many accounts, long before mobile phones were a thing.

IF that's what actually happened. Of course you just read any story in the media and believe it as fact.

You are on the internet, you better cancel that, ANYTHING you do on there can be compromising your security.
I'm on the internet, you are on the internet, so is NASA, Mossad, Apple and a myriad of billions of organisations and individauls across the world at this very moment. ALL are vulnerable to hacking by scammers, hackers AND the governments of the world. So what!

I'm on the internet, you are on the internet, so is NASA, Mossad, Apple and a myriad of billions of organisations and individauls across the world at this very moment. ALL are vulnerable to hacking by scammers, hackers AND the governments of the world. So what!
YOU'RE the one going on about how bad all this electronic banking, phone scams, etc.

YOU ask me my for my comment yet whinge when I do, lol

I think he has had a reality check - twice he was breached with Optus! Smart move to get away from Optus and from what he has said he has spent money and has had to rename his business - not easy and can affect him ongoing until customers get familiar with the changes.
Because he was breached twice while with Optus does not mean Optus is to blame. He was told to change his phone number after the first breach - didn't do it as it was too difficult. Nothing more to add here.

Reactions: NotNats

Glass half Empty??

YOU'RE the one going on about how bad all this electronic banking, phone scams, etc.

YOU ask me my for my comment yet whinge when I do, lol
There is a petition organised by the SDC administration which challenges the very issues that you worship:-

Stop the transition to all self-serve checkouts, and,

Protect the Right to Use Cash and Ensure Financial Inclusivity.

Did you sign the petition?

Reactions: Rob44
Carthago delenda est! It was said that Senator Cato was also a dull, repetitive ,old bore; but at least he wasn't using the internet to hack Carthage.....................

Reactions: Veggiepatch