Bunnings tops the charts in new customer excellence report, while other supermarkets and banks falter

Are you ever left feeling unappreciated after shopping at the supermarket or dealing with your bank? Then you’ll be surprised to see which Aussie brand has emerged as the clear leader when it comes to a new customer experience excellence report for 2023.

According to the report, it seems that some people who frequent specific stores and retailers have been pampered with the best customer experience for this year.

Hardware store giant Bunnings has secured the top spot in the latest Klynveld Peat Marwick Goerdeler (KPMG) Customer Experience Excellence Report. Based on a survey of over 2,500 Australian consumers, it seems that major supermarket chains and the ‘big four’ banks were absent from the list of top brands praised for their customer service.

So, what is it about Bunnings that’s making it the preferred choice for Australians? According to KPMG’s report, shoppers are now gravitating towards brands that offer more than just products or services. They seek a blend of economic value, purpose, personalisation and digital integration in their shopping experiences.

VIC Metro - Mentone - 6400 - Warehouse - Exterior - Wide.jpeg
Bunnings topped the charts for customer experience excellence in 2023! Image: Bunnings

'In 2023, Australian customers are becoming savvier and demanding more from their brands: more value for their dollar, more seamless, omnichannel processes and more personalised experiences,' the report read.

‘Interestingly, despite dealing with the effects of higher living costs, Australians, like their global counterparts, remain willing to pay more for brands whose values align with their own,’ it added.

This shift has seen supermarkets and banks who have a more ‘traditional’ approach to their services lagging behind in customer excellence.

Carmen Bekker, Partner-in-Charge at KPMG Customer, also said that the retail landscape has evolved over the past few years.

'2023 has presented Australian brands with challenging conditions. Inflationary pressures are reducing consumer spending, so retailers are treading a delicate balance between delivering the exceptional experiences that maintain customer loyalty while consolidating costs,' she said.

'Those in the top 10 have a customer-centric culture, have simple and easy-to-use digital products and services and use technology to help enable resolution of questions or complaints.'

The non-grocery retail companies have filled the top 10 list, with Bunnings acquiring the number 1 spot for the first time, followed by The Body Shop and Mecca. The exclusion of supermarket chains can be a sign of a possible misalignment of their strategies and the growing service expectations of Aussie consumers.

In relation to this, the big four financial institutions such as National Australia Bank, Commonwealth Bank, Westpac, and ANZ’s omission in the list recommends that they may need to reassess and amend their engagements towards customer service and satisfaction.

top-10-best-podium-award_1017-32089.jpg
The top 10 lists consisted of companies that have a customer-centric culture that enables an easy resolution of questions and complaints. Image: Freepik

'Interestingly, compared to 2021, we’ve seen some of Australia’s large financial institutions and grocery stores making inroads, in particular around personalisation; knowing their customer, and resolution; helping customers resolve questions,' Bekker added.

here___s_the_full_top_10_list_of_the_2023_kpmg___s_customer_experience_excellence-.jpg
Are your favourite brands included in the list?

Bekker also noted that, although grocery supermarkets and financial institutions have made changes and progress in personalisation and customer service resolution, the change wasn’t enough to be included in the list for 2023.

Key Takeaways

• The KPMG Customer Experience Excellence Report for 2023 has placed Bunnings as the top brand for customer excellence, marking a shift in Australian consumer preferences.
  • Australian shoppers now seek a blend of economic value, purpose, personalisation and digital integration in their shopping experience.
  • The report signals a potential disconnect between the strategies of Australia’s supermarket chains and the big four banks and the evolving expectations of Australian consumers, with neither making the top 10 list.
  • Carmen Bekker, Partner-in-Charge at KPMG Customer, noted that financial institutions and grocery supermarkets have made progress in areas such as personalisation and customer resolution, but it has not been enough to be included in the list.

If you’re looking for top-quality service and excellent customer experience, then a trip to Bunnings or these top 10 brands might be worth the effort.

What do you think of the list, do you agree, or are there some companies worthy to be included? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ezzy
Sponsored
I love the service at bunnings. I have never come across a staff member who won't help and they do it with a smile.

I needed to return something and didn't have my receipt but strangely they were able to look it up . I just needed to know the day I made the purchase.

Are you ever left feeling unappreciated after shopping at the supermarket or dealing with your bank? Then you’ll be surprised to see which Aussie brand has emerged as the clear leader when it comes to a new customer experience excellence report for 2023.

According to the report, it seems that some people who frequent specific stores and retailers have been pampered with the best customer experience for this year.

Hardware store giant Bunnings has secured the top spot in the latest Klynveld Peat Marwick Goerdeler (KPMG) Customer Experience Excellence Report. Based on a survey of over 2,500 Australian consumers, it seems that major supermarket chains and the ‘big four’ banks were absent from the list of top brands praised for their customer service.

So, what is it about Bunnings that’s making it the preferred choice for Australians? According to KPMG’s report, shoppers are now gravitating towards brands that offer more than just products or services. They seek a blend of economic value, purpose, personalisation and digital integration in their shopping experiences.

View attachment 35820
Bunnings topped the charts for customer experience excellence in 2023! Image: Bunnings

'In 2023, Australian customers are becoming savvier and demanding more from their brands: more value for their dollar, more seamless, omnichannel processes and more personalised experiences,' the report read.

‘Interestingly, despite dealing with the effects of higher living costs, Australians, like their global counterparts, remain willing to pay more for brands whose values align with their own,’ it added.

This shift has seen supermarkets and banks who have a more ‘traditional’ approach to their services lagging behind in customer excellence.

Carmen Bekker, Partner-in-Charge at KPMG Customer, also said that the retail landscape has evolved over the past few years.

'2023 has presented Australian brands with challenging conditions. Inflationary pressures are reducing consumer spending, so retailers are treading a delicate balance between delivering the exceptional experiences that maintain customer loyalty while consolidating costs,' she said.

'Those in the top 10 have a customer-centric culture, have simple and easy-to-use digital products and services and use technology to help enable resolution of questions or complaints.'

The non-grocery retail companies have filled the top 10 list, with Bunnings acquiring the number 1 spot for the first time, followed by The Body Shop and Mecca. The exclusion of supermarket chains can be a sign of a possible misalignment of their strategies and the growing service expectations of Aussie consumers.

In relation to this, the big four financial institutions such as National Australia Bank, Commonwealth Bank, Westpac, and ANZ’s omission in the list recommends that they may need to reassess and amend their engagements towards customer service and satisfaction.

View attachment 35821
The top 10 lists consisted of companies that have a customer-centric culture that enables an easy resolution of questions and complaints. Image: Freepik

'Interestingly, compared to 2021, we’ve seen some of Australia’s large financial institutions and grocery stores making inroads, in particular around personalisation; knowing their customer, and resolution; helping customers resolve questions,' Bekker added.

View attachment 35853
Are your favourite brands included in the list?

Bekker also noted that, although grocery supermarkets and financial institutions have made changes and progress in personalisation and customer service resolution, the change wasn’t enough to be included in the list for 2023.

Key Takeaways

• The KPMG Customer Experience Excellence Report for 2023 has placed Bunnings as the top brand for customer excellence, marking a shift in Australian consumer preferences.
  • Australian shoppers now seek a blend of economic value, purpose, personalisation and digital integration in their shopping experience.
  • The report signals a potential disconnect between the strategies of Australia’s supermarket chains and the big four banks and the evolving expectations of Australian consumers, with neither making the top 10 list.
  • Carmen Bekker, Partner-in-Charge at KPMG Customer, noted that financial institutions and grocery supermarkets have made progress in areas such as personalisation and customer resolution, but it has not been enough to be included in the list.

If you’re looking for top-quality service and excellent customer experience, then a trip to Bunnings or these top 10 brands might be worth the effort.

What do you think of the list, do you agree, or are there some companies worthy to be included? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!
Bunnings may have excellent and reliable products, but finding someone to assist you in the isles is still a frustrating experience! 😡

Not sure how Specsavers made the list. I went there in 2017 expecting to buy their 2 pairs for $149. After the eye test picked out frames and then the sales person started adding all the essential extras and the final tally was around $700. I politely declined and reached a compromise for one pair, with cheap frames, at a cost of $185. That was for normal vision specs and I persevered with my +3.00 readers from the chemist.
Never went back to them🤬

Reactions: Ezzy and Gsr
Go Bunnings, from my experience working there most of the team members are always helpful, easy to get along with, knowledgeable, friendly and polite. It is normal for us older team members as we were brought up this way, younger team members are taught to be this way as part of their training, if they are not already this way inclined. Some are.

Bunnings may have excellent and reliable products, but finding someone to assist you in the isles is still a frustrating experience! 😡
Have often looked around the Bunnings store for someone to help but no one in sight.
This can be a problem at meal times etc l guess. I have never had that problem but if l did the Front Desk is always a good way to get some service. Tell the person there what you want, let them call for assistance & remain there for a staff member to assist you. Most communication appears to be done via a telephone in Bunnings stores now so the the front desk person gets an immediate response.

Coles and Woolies will never get a great service award. That goes to the customers, after all we have to serve ourselves. Next year we might get a mention. Fingers crossed.

This result must depend on the store location. Our local store is bloody horrendous. Very hit and miss stock levels and are the best advisement for local businesses. I don't know how many times I have been advised to use the plumbing supplier across the road or the irrigation shop not far away.
Standard stock items listed in other shops are not supplied by our local store. I have been told to go visit them or have it delivered in 3 days with a delivery cost of $25.00. Bad luck if you need it to finish a job today
I have my own benchmark. If I walk into Bunnings with a shopping list and I manage to walk out with 50% then I've had a successful shop.
They killed our small local hardware shops that managed to achieve a great service. Bunnings comes no where near the same level of service.
Bloody waste of space. Bring back Home Hardware and Mitre 10