Bunnings stands by in-store pet policy amid ‘dog-free’ hour outcry

Bunnings Warehouse, the beloved Australian hardware giant, has recently found itself amid a heated debate. The issue at hand? The presence of dogs in their stores.

Despite a growing chorus of voices calling for dog-free hours, Bunnings has stood firm, stating that they are content with the behaviour of most pets and their owners in their stores and have no plans to alter their current policy.

The debate was sparked by an incident in which a large breed dog reportedly lunged and snapped at a young boy in a Bunnings store.

This incident led reporter Rebecca Franks to voice her preference for dog-free hours in retail stores.

Screenshot 2023-12-15 084116.png
Some people on social media are calling for ‘dog-free’ hours at Bunnings. Image: Facebook

Franks pointed out that since the COVID pandemic, when there was a 10 per cent surge in pet ownership, the ‘needs of pups (had become) an unnecessarily high priority; from dog-friendly cafes, beaches, bars, pubs and shops, to calls for pet dogs to be allowed on public transport and even planes’.

The opinion piece ignited a firestorm of responses from readers, with a social media post on the topic garnering nearly 20,000 interactions and almost 9,000 comments.

The responses were a mixed bag, with some readers supporting the idea of dog-free hours, while others defended the right to bring their pets into stores.

‘As an owner of two small pups, my girls always sit in the upper-section of the trolley and are restrained for their safety with strong harnesses and leads,’ one person said.

‘I have seen many larger dogs in-store but have yet to see any dog owner being irresponsible. Unfortunately it only takes one irresponsible owner to ruin it for everyone.’

‘It is refreshing to see this article… I’m sure (Franks) will get plenty of negative comments from overzealous dog lovers,’ another person said.

‘An overwhelming majority of them now feel entitled to take their dogs everywhere, and anywhere they want.’

Others expressed frustration at the increasing presence of dogs in public spaces.

‘I, too, am getting tired of dogs at Bunnings,’ a third said. ‘My favourite shop is Bunnings and going to my local Echuca store is becoming unbearable. Dodging dogs and putting my items in trolleys covered in dog fur—we don't go to markets cause of all the dogs.’

‘We don't go out to eat because of dogs eating in the same areas. We are animal people. But this is becoming a joke.’

Meanwhile, one woman, who is not a dog owner, expressed her delight at seeing dogs at Bunnings.

Her sentiment was echoed by others, with one comment stating: 'I love seeing pups at Bunnings and I love taking my little boy there too! Maybe leave the kids at home.'

In response to the controversy, Mike Schneider, Bunnings Managing Director, stated that the retailer has been welcoming pets into their stores for several years and values all feedback from the public concerning the policy.

‘We’ve been welcoming pets into our stores for over seven years and love the feedback from customers about how much they enjoy bringing them along when they’re shopping with us,’ Schneider said.

‘The ongoing positive feedback was one of the underlying factors in the launch of our pet category, our largest category expansion in two decades. The strong customer take-up of this offer has exceeded our expectations, underscoring the popularity of the category and its resonance with pet owners.’

‘Like many other retailers with similar pet ranges, we take a commonsense approach when welcoming pets into our stores. The feedback we receive shows that the vast majority of owners are respectful of other customers, and our team when they’re in store, and of course our team is always available to help if customers have any concerns about their shopping experience.’

Bunnings said that dogs are allowed if they’re friendly, on a lead, under control and comply with the conditions of entry. However, unsociable pets may be asked to leave or not to enter their premises.

The company explained that they have the same approach to dogs in their stores as to other pet retailers that allow them.

While the recent debate has brought the policy into the spotlight, it's important to remember that most of the vast majority of dog owners are responsible and considerate.

As our society becomes more pet-friendly, it's inevitable that tensions will arise. However, through open dialogue and mutual respect, it's possible to find a balance that respects everyone's rights and comforts.

Key Takeaways

• There have been calls for dog-free hours at Bunnings, but the retailer is happy with the behaviour of most pets and their owners and has no plans to change its policy.
  • A father reported a large breed dog lunged and snapped at his young son at Bunnings, which prompted an online debate on pet rules in stores.
  • A discussion post on social media has attracted nearly 20,000 interactions, demonstrating a wide range of opinions.
  • Some people said that they’ve never seen irresponsible dog owners in Bunnings, while others stressed that having dogs in stores is getting ‘unbearable’.
  • Bunnings Managing Director Mike Schneider said that dogs are allowed in stores as long as they're friendly, on a lead, under control and comply with the conditions of entry.

What are your thoughts, members? Do you think dogs should be allowed in Bunnings? Or do you support the idea of dog-free hours? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
Bunnings Warehouse, the beloved Australian hardware giant, has recently found itself amid a heated debate. The issue at hand? The presence of dogs in their stores.

Despite a growing chorus of voices calling for dog-free hours, Bunnings has stood firm, stating that they are content with the behaviour of most pets and their owners in their stores and have no plans to alter their current policy.

The debate was sparked by an incident in which a large breed dog reportedly lunged and snapped at a young boy in a Bunnings store.

This incident led reporter Rebecca Franks to voice her preference for dog-free hours in retail stores.

View attachment 37587
Some people on social media are calling for ‘dog-free’ hours at Bunnings. Image: Facebook

Franks pointed out that since the COVID pandemic, when there was a 10 per cent surge in pet ownership, the ‘needs of pups (had become) an unnecessarily high priority; from dog-friendly cafes, beaches, bars, pubs and shops, to calls for pet dogs to be allowed on public transport and even planes’.

The opinion piece ignited a firestorm of responses from readers, with a social media post on the topic garnering nearly 20,000 interactions and almost 9,000 comments.

The responses were a mixed bag, with some readers supporting the idea of dog-free hours, while others defended the right to bring their pets into stores.

‘As an owner of two small pups, my girls always sit in the upper-section of the trolley and are restrained for their safety with strong harnesses and leads,’ one person said.

‘I have seen many larger dogs in-store but have yet to see any dog owner being irresponsible. Unfortunately it only takes one irresponsible owner to ruin it for everyone.’

‘It is refreshing to see this article… I’m sure (Franks) will get plenty of negative comments from overzealous dog lovers,’ another person said.

‘An overwhelming majority of them now feel entitled to take their dogs everywhere, and anywhere they want.’

Others expressed frustration at the increasing presence of dogs in public spaces.

‘I, too, am getting tired of dogs at Bunnings,’ a third said. ‘My favourite shop is Bunnings and going to my local Echuca store is becoming unbearable. Dodging dogs and putting my items in trolleys covered in dog fur—we don't go to markets cause of all the dogs.’

‘We don't go out to eat because of dogs eating in the same areas. We are animal people. But this is becoming a joke.’

Meanwhile, one woman, who is not a dog owner, expressed her delight at seeing dogs at Bunnings.

Her sentiment was echoed by others, with one comment stating: 'I love seeing pups at Bunnings and I love taking my little boy there too! Maybe leave the kids at home.'

In response to the controversy, Mike Schneider, Bunnings Managing Director, stated that the retailer has been welcoming pets into their stores for several years and values all feedback from the public concerning the policy.

‘We’ve been welcoming pets into our stores for over seven years and love the feedback from customers about how much they enjoy bringing them along when they’re shopping with us,’ Schneider said.

‘The ongoing positive feedback was one of the underlying factors in the launch of our pet category, our largest category expansion in two decades. The strong customer take-up of this offer has exceeded our expectations, underscoring the popularity of the category and its resonance with pet owners.’

‘Like many other retailers with similar pet ranges, we take a commonsense approach when welcoming pets into our stores. The feedback we receive shows that the vast majority of owners are respectful of other customers, and our team when they’re in store, and of course our team is always available to help if customers have any concerns about their shopping experience.’

Bunnings said that dogs are allowed if they’re friendly, on a lead, under control and comply with the conditions of entry. However, unsociable pets may be asked to leave or not to enter their premises.

The company explained that they have the same approach to dogs in their stores as to other pet retailers that allow them.

While the recent debate has brought the policy into the spotlight, it's important to remember that most of the vast majority of dog owners are responsible and considerate.

As our society becomes more pet-friendly, it's inevitable that tensions will arise. However, through open dialogue and mutual respect, it's possible to find a balance that respects everyone's rights and comforts.

Key Takeaways

• There have been calls for dog-free hours at Bunnings, but the retailer is happy with the behaviour of most pets and their owners and has no plans to change its policy.
  • A father reported a large breed dog lunged and snapped at his young son at Bunnings, which prompted an online debate on pet rules in stores.
  • A discussion post on social media has attracted nearly 20,000 interactions, demonstrating a wide range of opinions.
  • Some people said that they’ve never seen irresponsible dog owners in Bunnings, while others stressed that having dogs in stores is getting ‘unbearable’.
  • Bunnings Managing Director Mike Schneider said that dogs are allowed in stores as long as they're friendly, on a lead, under control and comply with the conditions of entry.

What are your thoughts, members? Do you think dogs should be allowed in Bunnings? Or do you support the idea of dog-free hours? Share your thoughts in the comments below.
First of all, don't blame the dog before you know the full story. What did the child do for the dog to lunge? We don't know. Dogs do not lunge for no reason.
Secondly, I have never found dog hair on a trolley. We must remember Bunnings is a hardware store and not a supermarket.
Reality check please. And yes, I take my dog to Bunnings.

why only dogs allowed? What about all the other well behaved pets. Surely they can be left t home- mine are. And there is the allergy bit that is raised so often. and are the trolleys cleaned. Don't start about toddlers- generally we dont have allergies to them.

View attachment 37587

Key Takeaways

I have no problem with any dog being out in public - as long as they are muzzled. End of problem.

Reactions: Ezzy and Bridgit
Nothing clean about anything in a store like Bunnings. Chemicals, potting mix etc in the trolleys. Do you think the floors are mopped and polished, shelving dusted? Dirty place - dogs probably least of your concerns when it comes it germs and fumes.

Bunnings have been doing this for years so why the big whinge now. I forgot it is the Christmas season and tensions rise and people will complain about the most inconsequential things. I have a chihuahua who I wouldn’t take to any shop because he doesn’t like strangers and when someone says isn’t he little and cute and put their hand out to pat him he will snap at them.

Reactions: NotNats and Bridgit

View attachment 37587

Key Takeaways

I myself am not a dog owner but am definitely a dog lover & I love it when my partner says he needs to go to Bunnings so hopefully I will get my doggie fix so I’m so glad that they are not banning dogs from Bunnings.

As a dog breeder and owner for many years, I fail to understand why people think it is a treat for their dogs to be taken to Bunnings!! I think it is an ego trip, ie "Look at my dog - isn't he nice" and no consideration for the animal. My dogs are my fur babies yet under no circumstances would I expect them to endure being trundled around a hardware store. If you want to take them out, take them to the park or beach. Please consider the dog and not satisfying your own ego.

I think the staff at the entrance to the store should test the dog as they enter by approaching the dog to see its reaction. If the dog growls or barks then the dog must be refused entry to the store.

Reactions: NotNats and Ezzy
People do more harm to people than dogs do on a daily basis - perhaps they should have to wear a muzzle when leaving the house. I do not see many dogs in stores like Bunnings but the ones I have are usually the small breeds. If dogs are acclimated to being around shops and people they usually do not cause any problems and are very happy being with their owner wherever they go. Dogs are people's best friends and literally more so for some who take their little pooches with them everywhere - it is like a carer dog for them.

View attachment 37587

Key Takeaways

Just ban dogs. I'm a dog owner and love dogs. There are many others things I can't do and bring into the store. It's retail, not a dog park.

View attachment 37587

Key Takeaways

fine let them take their dogs but muzzle them and clean up after them and that include cleaning the trolley.

Reactions: NotNats and Ezzy
Either way - the train has left the station. Bunnings, Cafes, Plant Nurseries all allow dogs on leads. So you will just have to suck it up or shop elsewhere.

• Sad
Reactions: NotNats and Wendy

View attachment 37587

Key Takeaways

What are your thoughts, members? Do you think dogs should be allowed in Bunnings? Or do you support the idea of dog-free hours? Share your thoughts in the comments

We did a lot a travelling in 1995, in our caravan with our Cavalier King Charles. Staying in various destinations throughout Western Australia there were very few places or so many rules to abide by but once we crossed the border our dog was accepted. Only rule was clean up your dog's doodoo. Our trips outside WA were so pleasant.

Reactions: Wendy

View attachment 37587

Key Takeaways

A good, common-sense decision by a large corporation. Now that's pleasant change in this day and age.

I do not understand why people think their dogs need to be with them in-store while shopping, or at busy markets, unless they are a trained, proper support dog such as a seeing-eye dog. It is sometimes hard enough negotiating aisles and market paths without having to also do a dance to avoid dogs on leads.
(*One well-known craft market group made the change many years ago to ban dogs. This was a great move.)
Regarding dog friendly cafes. Those that I have experienced have a designated area, usually a covered, more outdoor, area. That's fine. And better too, if owners have trained their pets to sit or lie quietly beside them.
Lastly, I think of previous stories where Bunnings staff members have been instructed to clean up after dog 'accidents'. That's simply not on in my opinion.