Bunnings employee exposes mistreatment of workers by sexist customers

Working in retail can be a challenging experience, but for some, the challenges extend beyond the usual customer service issues.

Haley Webber, a female employee at Bunnings—a popular Australian hardware store—recently took to social media to expose the rampant sexism she faced on the job.

Her story shed light on the broader issue of gender bias in traditionally male-dominated industries and raised questions about how companies can better support their female employees.

Webber revealed in a video that she was 'constantly overlooked' by customers who would 'bypass' her to seek assistance from her male colleagues.

In one instance, Webber recounted how a male customer refused to let her help him retrieve a 20kg bag from a high shelf.

SDC 1.png
An employee from Bunnings talked about sexism at her workplace. Image source: TikTok/@haley.webber.

'He was like, “No, you are not strong enough,”' she recalled.

Despite her reassurance that she was capable, the customer continued to view her as a 'feeble woman'.

'He looked at me like I was a weak little feeble woman who wouldn’t be able to handle it. It was only 20kg it is not that heavy.'

This incident, among others, left Webber feeling disheartened and undervalued.

While Webber acknowledged that these customers were likely not acting out of malice, the constant underestimation took a toll on her mental health, sending her into a 'spiral'.

Responding to Webber's revelations, Damian Zahra, Chief People Officer at Bunnings, expressed disappointment, saying: '[We are] really disappointed to hear one of our team members has experienced disrespectful behaviour, which is something we don’t tolerate in our stores.'

'We always encourage our team to raise any concerns they may have with us about issues they’re facing at work, and we have a range of measures in place to support them.'

This issue is particularly relevant in light of recent data that revealed a gender pay gap in nearly 5000 Australian companies.

Wesfarmers, the parent company of Bunnings, reported a median gender pay gap of 3.5 per cent for total remuneration, with the gap widening to 7 per cent at the base salary level.

Jenny Bryant, Wesfarmers’ Chief Human Resources Officer, attributed the pay gap to the lower number of women in technology roles at the company.

She also highlighted the company's initiatives to increase female representation in the workplace.

This included flexible working policies and women in leadership programs.
Key Takeaways

• A young female Bunnings worker has shared her experiences of sexism in the workplace through social media, stating that she is often bypassed and underestimated by customers.
  • The worker, Haley Webber, recounted a specific incident where a customer doubted her strength to lift a 20kg bag despite her insistence that she was capable.
  • Bunnings' Chief People Officer, Damian Zahra, expressed disappointment upon hearing about the disrespect faced by the team member and reinforced that disrespectful behaviour is not tolerated, urging staff to report any issues.
  • Wesfarmers' (the parent company of Bunnings) emphasised ongoing efforts to increase female representation in the workforce, such as flexible working policies and women in leadership programs.
What are your thoughts on this issue? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Just last week Bunnings and a fertiliser company were ordered to pay $1.2 million work injury claim after the young woman employed by the fertiliser company injured herself moving a 10 kg bucket on a pallet. Moving a 20kg from a high Shelf is dangerous regardless of gender and if she slipped on the ladder or injured herself who’s to blame.

Reactions: Joydie
I don't see the man's offer to lift down a 20kg bag as sexist. Maybe I'm mixing with the wrong crowd, but every man I know, including my own husband, would extend the offer.

Too many young women take offence at real or imagined slights these days. The man wasn't patronising her, he was offering because he respects women and it's on the cards that he's taller and because of male musculature, definitely stronger. It's not all about you love.

Finally, my mate Dr Anthony Dillon taught me some years ago that offence cannot be given. It can only be taken.

Get over yourself - stop looking to be offended, and be grateful that you have a job. There are plenty of female customers at Bunnings, make a point of going up to them and asking if you can help them, instead of challenging men with your feminism
WELL SAID SALLY. There ain't nothing feminine in this type of femiinism.

I don't care if you are male/female/or a bit of both - if they can help me get all the stuff Im after quicker then go for it. And customers should always remember the staff get paid compo if they get hurt. Where as you don't.

A lot of men bought up just after the war were taught good manners, which obviously included the man in the story. Such a pity a lot of our younger generation weren’t taught this, there might be less youth crime now.

• Love
Reactions: Joydie and gamiry
Finding someone at Bunnings to lift the 20kg bags is a mission on its own, so good on her to offer this service even if she was not taken up on the offer.

I would suppose there is no gender gap in the pay scale at Bunnings. I for one think ex tradies who offer advice in their particular trade should be paid more. They are so helpful. If the situation offends someone because of gender, maybe ask to be transferred to something like lighting or pet section so you can have a more pleasant time at work. Stop looking to challenge people of either gender and find a solution that makes you happy

Reactions: PattiB
As stated by other members avoid lifting weights and they should not be above shoulder level. If I was a Bunnings staff member I would be happy that someone else wanted to lift things. My product knowledge is often the most important thing to a customer which male or female I should be qualified to share and accept assistance and thanks when necessary..

Not just customers but male staff as well. As a woman, I have been patronised by Bunnings male staff on many occasions. Like the time I happened to be standing in the kitchen section (waiting for my husband) when a male staff member approached me and asked what I was interested in. When I said outdoor kitchens, he immediately launched into a patronising lecture about how I couldn't use the indoor kitchen items in an outdoors setting. I said I know that, I'm not intending to, I just happen to be waiting for my husband in this section. Even worse was the guy who, when I came in to get a hinge for my gate, told me to send my husband in instead. And the time the guy assumed that the tool chest I was buying for myself was for my husband.

I accidentally offended a lady one day by offering to assist her loading some stuff into her car and was told( 'im not crippled !) ive got to unlearn the manners a gentleman was taught....

If I worked there and had to lift 20kg bags all the time, I think my back would suffer, even at her age.
I would have thanked the male customer for his kind offer.
Not sure why women these days want to compare themselves with men.
they go to court for a touch on the bottom, then squeal if offered help.

gender pay gap is mentioned at bunnings im sure that both male and female would be on the same pay rate correct me if im wrong like at most places they would have to be paid the same that is the law so i do not understand where this gender pay descrimination is coming from a female hairdresser for instance would not be on the same pay rate as a male labourer digging ditches

Reactions: Macarj