SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Vella Gonzaga

Vella Gonzaga

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 23, 2021
Building forts

Who here built forts as a kid? Back in the day, kids would build hideouts and secret places to play, pretending to be explorers in their world. Some even featured ‘periscopes’ to spy and find hidden treasures. It was the ultimate adventure that brought out kids’ creativity and imagination. Do you remember building forts with your childhood friends? Share your memories here.

nos.jpeg
Facebook/Australia Remember When​

Last edited:
Reactions: Wandiwa
My grandfather used to run a fruit n veg shop from the back of his Ute and he had a metal high cover annexe on the back
After he stopped his business he kept that metal thing which was on 4 legs in our backyard and that became our cubby house once we added walls made from fabric, Masonite sheets from Pa's garage and cardboard boxes

It was similar to this but with a high covered top

custommadebarsuteframe.jpg

Oh yes, but I was luckily in the English countryside with woods & spinneys within easy reach so we always had about 3 on the go at once. The best one was after the war when the home-guard hut became available for us to take over. What treasures we found there from paper to draw on to map books to explore the layout of the land around us. We had such fun on the school hols.

Reactions: Gsr
Oh yes, but I was luckily in the English countryside with woods & spinneys within easy reach so we always had about 3 on the go at once. The best one was after the war when the home-guard hut became available for us to take over. What treasures we found there from paper to draw on to map books to explore the layout of the land around us. We had such fun on the school hols.
I have to ask ... what is a spinney?

We used to build a lot of forts in our playground out in the sticks, when we played cowboys and Indians. We used wood, small tree branches, anything we could find. We even built one up in a tree once, it was pretty good until a côuple of us kids fell out of it and I got a large puncture wound hole in the inside top of my thigh and had to be taken home by the teacher. That ended us being too adventurous. We used sticks for guns and bows and arrows, it was such fun.

I have to ask ... what is a spinney?
A spinney is also a collection of trees just like a wood but smaller & with hills & dips in it to make it more interesting. We had a spinney that was called just that. 'The spinney" it was home to many Red Squirrels in my time, not so many these days with the building of new houses I fear.