Thanks Ted, I do the rounds of the garden every day to see what's around. If the weather is OK I sit on the patio and having good eyesight, I can see these little critters in the garden and I always have my camera and macro lens on the ready.;)

These are awesome... I've always been interested in insects. I think if I was ever going to get seriously into photography as a hobby, I'd go for a macro lens for sure.

Ron do you have any relatively cheap camera / macro lens recommendations?

Reactions: Kiriwai
These are awesome... I've always been interested in insects. I think if I was ever going to get seriously into photography as a hobby, I'd go for a macro lens for sure.

Ron do you have any relatively cheap camera / macro lens recommendations?
Thanks Jon, unfortunately, macro lenses aren't cheap. Several claim to have a macro function but it isn't. I was lucky with mine, a Sigma 150mm Macro, I won it in a national photography competition several years ago, run by the Sigma Corporation to commemorate the life and passing of the guy who started Sigma in Japan. Mine was valued at $2,200, not sure if you can still buy one. The cheap ones will still set you back $4-500. The main thing, when shooting insects, is to get one with a longer focal length, e,g; 150-180mm

. You could get by with a 100mm macro lens but the closer you get to your subjects the more chance you'll scare them away. Cameras have soared in price over the last couple of years and the current fad is mirrorless, I bought one a few months ago but I prefer my DSLRs. Basically, any camera is OK for macro, it's the lens that matters. Some of the cheaper Nikons, Canons, etc will do the job and quite often you can pick them up for under $1,000, even under $500.

DSC_0081.JPG

My current lenses.
PICT0004.JPG

My go to combo...Nikon D500 with the 150mm attached.
DSC_3662.JPG

Last edited:
Ron! You finally managed to get some insects. Looks like the bird didn't get them all after all