Broccoli prices are causing a stir – find out what shoppers are doing to get their hands on the vegetable

Aussie shoppers are getting more creative than ever to save money on their grocery bills. The latest “money-saving tip”? Snapping the stalks of broccoli instead of buying the whole vegetable.

No need for a double take, folks! After the price of the vegetable rose to an eyewatering $11.90 a kilo, some shoppers are resorting to snapping the stalks in a bid to reduce their spending by around $1.50.

A Melbourne Coles customer has taken to TikTok to share a clip of the supermarket shelf strewn with leftover broccoli stalks.

Credit: TikTok/@jenn_shaw_

In the same video, the shopper suggested not wasting their broccoli stalks by chopping them up and adding them to their meals — the same way we usually add the florets to our food.

The post has gone viral, with many users saying that they would implement the "money-saving tip" given that grocery prices are soaring nowadays.

One user wrote: "Yes true...but I always break mine off as it weighs less and cost less."

"The cost of food is so expensive these days...do what works for you!" another advised.

A third chimed in: "No disrespect but for that price I would do the same."

Currently, there are no rules regarding snapping the stalk off broccoli before purchasing it to lessen the weight.

But, in 2020, a greengrocer in Sydney has made headlines after it penalised a customer who broke off the stalks of the vegetable before purchase.

It was reported that the customer was charged twice the regular price of broccoli as a punishment for their action.

“It’s not about the cost, it’s the principle of being forced to pay for a stalk that won’t be used,” the customer said.

“Similarly, at the butcher I always ask that any excess fat is trimmed off.”

The greengrocer was forced to put up signage in its store to warn customers about the activity.

The sign read: "Do not remove broccoli stalks, otherwise be charged double."

KoJwUv8IFHcZA0ThRxNjjYtgf_ugaubIic74EZgWzhRVWzexGK1k46KHJ4ymd93f-2weCc8EZraWWnV2CZQTmXf5v3oiCIysS6tR2DHDKF1io7qn2qjWD_PTjKcN-JPRO8VRqChBI9A5EOj3

Due to the act of one customer, the greengrocer was forced to put up signage in its store to warn customers about the activity. Credit: news.com.au.

Meanwhile, nutritionist Susie Burrell suggested substituting broccoli with cauliflower, noting that the latter is much cheaper than the former.

"Broccoli is a superfood, rich in anti-cancer molecules, Vitamin C and fibre but so is cauliflower at half the price," she said.

"Plus cauliflower makes a low carb rice alternative that can easily be made into a tasty risotto."

It should be noted that cauliflower retails for between $4-$5 compared to broccoli which sells for at least $10 per kilo in supermarkets at the moment.

If you're curious about how you can use cauliflower as a rice substitute, we recommend checking out this article.

The debate on whether it is ethical to snap the stalk of the broccoli before purchasing it is still ongoing. So, if we may ask, do you think taking off the stalk is acceptable? We are honestly surprised that the move is a bit encouraged by users given that there had been a backlash on the “lettuce stripping” incident where a pair of shoppers stripped off the leaves of the vegetable to get them for free. Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Also, we recommend checking out this video to learn more about which vegetables are suitable for growing this winter season:

Credit: YouTube/Self Sufficient Me

Reactions: BJM and Ricci
Sponsored
Aussie shoppers are getting more creative than ever to save money on their grocery bills. The latest “money-saving tip”? Snapping the stalks of broccoli instead of buying the whole vegetable.

No need for a double take, folks! After the price of the vegetable rose to an eyewatering $11.90 a kilo, some shoppers are resorting to snapping the stalks in a bid to reduce their spending by around $1.50.

A Melbourne Coles customer has taken to TikTok to share a clip of the supermarket shelf strewn with leftover broccoli stalks.

In the same video, the shopper suggested not wasting their broccoli stalks by chopping them up and adding them to their meals — the same way we usually add the florets to our food.

The post has gone viral, with many users saying that they would implement the "money-saving tip" given that grocery prices are soaring nowadays.

One user wrote: "Yes true...but I always break mine off as it weighs less and cost less."

"The cost of food is so expensive these days...do what works for you!" another advised.

Currently, there are no rules regarding snapping the stalk off broccoli before purchasing it to lessen the weight.

But, in 2020, a greengrocer in Sydney has made headlines after it penalised a customer who broke off the stalks of the vegetable before purchase.

It was reported that the customer was charged twice the regular price of broccoli as a punishment for their action.

“It’s not about the cost, it’s the principle of being forced to pay for a stalk that won’t be used,” the customer said.

The greengrocer was forced to put up signage in its store to warn customers about the activity.

KoJwUv8IFHcZA0ThRxNjjYtgf_ugaubIic74EZgWzhRVWzexGK1k46KHJ4ymd93f-2weCc8EZraWWnV2CZQTmXf5v3oiCIysS6tR2DHDKF1io7qn2qjWD_PTjKcN-JPRO8VRqChBI9A5EOj3

Due to the act of one customer, the greengrocer was forced to put up signage in its store to warn customers about the activity. Credit: news.com.au.

Meanwhile, nutritionist Susie Burrell suggested substituting broccoli with cauliflower, noting that the latter is much cheaper than the former.

"Broccoli is a superfood, rich in anti-cancer molecules, Vitamin C and fibre but so is cauliflower at half the price," she said.

"Plus cauliflower makes a low carb rice alternative that can easily be made into a tasty risotto."

It should be noted that cauliflower retails for between $4-$5 compared to broccoli which sells for at least $10 per kilo in supermarkets at the moment.

If you're curious about how you can use cauliflower as a rice substitute, we recommend checking out this article.

The debate on whether it is ethical to snap the stalk of the broccoli before purchasing it is still ongoing. So, if we may ask, do you think taking off the stalk is acceptable? We are honestly surprised that the move is a bit encouraged by users given that there had been a backlash on the “lettuce stripping” incident where a pair of shoppers stripped off the leaves of the vegetable to get them for free. Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Also, we recommend checking out this video to learn more about which vegetables are suitable for growing this winter season:

This has been going on for many years.
I find the broccoli stalk is even better tasting than the florets.....
This is nothing but theft!
Again, the honest people pay while the slimy thugs get away with stupidity and theft......

Last edited:
Totally dishonest practice and is typical of today's morals, when you practice this behaviour you force sellers to increase prices to compensate so you are the loser in the long run. However, the big question is, what makes you think you have the right to cheat.

I really don’t think it’s ethical to take the stalks off before purchasing broccoli, maybe the retailers can combat this by selling florets separately from the stalks and charging accordingly. There is a heap of goodness in the stalks and I for one would buy them if I couldn’t afford the florets.

I really don’t think it’s ethical to take the stalks off before purchasing broccoli, maybe the retailers can combat this by selling florets separately from the stalks and charging accordingly. There is a heap of goodness in the stalks and I for one would buy them if I couldn’t afford the florets.
I totally agree- if you’re not going to eat the stalk I can understand you not wanting to pay for it, but I would buy stalks

Reactions: Pommyoz and Ricci