British supermarket slammed for removing use-by dates from milk, asks shoppers to do a ‘sniff test’ instead

Expiry dates are the standard way to tell if something is safe to consume. In fact, it’s illegal to sell products that have passed these dates or expired. However, one supermarket chain in the UK has decided that expiry dates are unnecessary and have opted to abandon them, and replace them with the good ol ‘sniff test’.

In a bid to reduce food waste in stores, British supermarket Morrisons is scrapping ‘use by’ dates on 90 per cent of its own-brand milk.

Instead, the retailer will place ‘best before’ dates on their milk and encourage shoppers to do a ‘sniff test’ to check the quality.

Morrisons was reportedly the first supermarket to make the ‘bold move’, which starts at the end of January.

Q2ZjzEX2YPI3n5qFHRB3So2hR_8u5g2w3TTIbJQ7qy9jJcHXueOf3bPa5LLhFjDo7P0FJlaHnIZMml3SpOCouDok7qsEb-K3mH13MWkhp9_-Aj5wkf_SruOo4qJ358Nc99qnASpe

British supermarket Morrisons scraps 'use by' dates on most of its own-brand milk. Credit: Morrisons.

Generally, ‘best before’ dates indicate when the product should be consumed to get the best quality and taste. On the other hand, ‘use by’ dates are attached to perishable food so buyers know when the product can be consumed safely.

But research from the supermarket team showed that milk does not have to be labelled as a ‘perishable food’, meaning, milk is often acceptable to be used days after the imprinted date.

“The dates on the milk will stay the same - it is what we are asking customers to do, which is changing,” said the supermarket.

Ian Goode, a senior milk buyer at Morrisons, said he’s hoping the changes would reduce food waste, as millions of litres of milk are unnecessarily thrown away each year.

“Wasted milk means wasted effort by our farmers and unnecessary carbon being released into the atmosphere,” he said.

“Good quality, well-kept milk has a good few days’ life after normal ‘use by’ dates – and we think it should be consumed, not tipped down the sink. So, we’re taking a bold step today and asking customers to decide whether their milk is still good to drink.”

“Generations before us have always used the sniff test – and I believe we can too.”

According to the Waste Resources and Action Programme (WRAP), milk is the third most wasted food and beverage product, with around 280 million litres thrown away yearly and approximately 48 million litres of milk wasted due to consumers strictly following ‘use by’ labels.

Marcus Gover, WRAP chief executive, said: “I am delighted that Morrisons is the first UK supermarket to take this important step to help reduce household food waste - it shows real leadership, and we look forward to more retailers reviewing date labels on their products and taking action.”

75_4TcIl4kbDs52fe-F8OmXUaFW7ioIET0z_nBq2AxaLEulBsW53V5MtceKdwCSz6awpsdESSjGDTG2H2qv6lKTWIzg2x6h01NjaasBdMeagEwnSQabomRW3snwgr2e6C38OftQ6

Shoppers are left to decide whether the milk has gone bad. Credit: news.com.au.
However, shoppers weren’t so happy with the announced changes. Taking their complaints to Twitter, many have questioned the supermarket’s decision.

One customer asked: “So, Morrisons – can we open the bottle in order to sniff it before purchase? Or do we have to go home, sniff it, then bring it back if it’s off?”

Another added: “I can open the milk whilst still in Morrisons to check then, I guess?”

Some shoppers also pointed out that opening a product in the grocery and ‘sniffing’ it may not be the best idea in times of a pandemic.

“Not sure having the public opening up the cartons and sniffing the milk before buying it is a good idea,” said a customer. “Good idea during a pandemic where people lose their sense of taste and smell,” another added.

The Food Standards Agency (FSA) advised customers that sniffing food products is not an appropriate safety test, especially for items that could cause food poisoning.

What are your thoughts? Would you be happy to buy milk purely based on its smell? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
We are too precious about use by dates. A consumer problem. I sometimes use products that have passed their date as I dont have a huge volume of users in my home. As long as the fridge is good and not opened all that often the products should last a it longer. I have done the sniff test and it is reliable.;);):unsure:

I can understand a best before date rather than a use by date. I often use milk a day or three after the use by date and it's still perfectly good. On the flip side I've also had milk that hasn't made it through to its date and have had to throw it away.

As long as we can open the container before purchase in the store and put it back if we suspect it’s off! Then and only then would the sniff test possibly work, however for people like me who lost the sense of smell several years ago, how do I tell if it’s off?

Reactions: Ricci
British supermarket slammed for removing use-by dates from milk, asks shoppers to do a ‘sniff test’ instead

Expiry dates are the standard way to tell if something is safe to consume. In fact, it’s illegal to sell products that have passed these dates or expired. However, one supermarket chain in the UK has decided that expiry dates are unnecessary and have opted to abandon them, and replace them with the good ol ‘sniff test’.

In a bid to reduce food waste in stores, British supermarket Morrisons is scrapping ‘use by’ dates on 90 per cent of its own-brand milk.

Instead, the retailer will place ‘best before’ dates on their milk and encourage shoppers to do a ‘sniff test’ to check the quality.

Morrisons was reportedly the first supermarket to make the ‘bold move’, which starts at the end of January.

Q2ZjzEX2YPI3n5qFHRB3So2hR_8u5g2w3TTIbJQ7qy9jJcHXueOf3bPa5LLhFjDo7P0FJlaHnIZMml3SpOCouDok7qsEb-K3mH13MWkhp9_-Aj5wkf_SruOo4qJ358Nc99qnASpe

British supermarket Morrisons scraps 'use by' dates on most of its own-brand milk. Credit: Morrisons.

Generally, ‘best before’ dates indicate when the product should be consumed to get the best quality and taste. On the other hand, ‘use by’ dates are attached to perishable food so buyers know when the product can be consumed safely.

But research from the supermarket team showed that milk does not have to be labelled as a ‘perishable food’, meaning, milk is often acceptable to be used days after the imprinted date.

“The dates on the milk will stay the same - it is what we are asking customers to do, which is changing,” said the supermarket.

Ian Goode, a senior milk buyer at Morrisons, said he’s hoping the changes would reduce food waste, as millions of litres of milk are unnecessarily thrown away each year.

“Wasted milk means wasted effort by our farmers and unnecessary carbon being released into the atmosphere,” he said.

“Good quality, well-kept milk has a good few days’ life after normal ‘use by’ dates – and we think it should be consumed, not tipped down the sink. So, we’re taking a bold step today and asking customers to decide whether their milk is still good to drink.”

“Generations before us have always used the sniff test – and I believe we can too.”

According to the Waste Resources and Action Programme (WRAP), milk is the third most wasted food and beverage product, with around 280 million litres thrown away yearly and approximately 48 million litres of milk wasted due to consumers strictly following ‘use by’ labels.

Marcus Gover, WRAP chief executive, said: “I am delighted that Morrisons is the first UK supermarket to take this important step to help reduce household food waste - it shows real leadership, and we look forward to more retailers reviewing date labels on their products and taking action.”

75_4TcIl4kbDs52fe-F8OmXUaFW7ioIET0z_nBq2AxaLEulBsW53V5MtceKdwCSz6awpsdESSjGDTG2H2qv6lKTWIzg2x6h01NjaasBdMeagEwnSQabomRW3snwgr2e6C38OftQ6

However, shoppers weren’t so happy with the announced changes. Taking their complaints to Twitter, many have questioned the supermarket’s decision.

One customer asked: “So, Morrisons – can we open the bottle in order to sniff it before purchase? Or do we have to go home, sniff it, then bring it back if it’s off?”

Another added: “I can open the milk whilst still in Morrisons to check then, I guess?”

Some shoppers also pointed out that opening a product in the grocery and ‘sniffing’ it may not be the best idea in times of a pandemic.

“Not sure having the public opening up the cartons and sniffing the milk before buying it is a good idea,” said a customer. “Good idea during a pandemic where people lose their sense of taste and smell,” another added.

The Food Standards Agency (FSA) advised customers that sniffing food products is not an appropriate safety test, especially for items that could cause food poisoning.

What are your thoughts? Would you be happy to buy milk purely based on its smell? Let us know in the comments below!
Peoples noses contain a lot of the ace2 receptors that covid targets so putting their noses near the bottle to sniff is dangerous to others. Also opening the seal allows for other bacteria to enter. WHAT are they thinking

Reactions: Liz and Janet g
Seriously, l don't know how most people in the world survive if you don't have written instructions !! Do you seriously think the supermarkets are going to have stock on the shelves that are out of date. The dates will STILL BE on the cartons / bottles etc. At home, because the use by date is today but the milk still smells good, then it will still be good If you can't smell, pour some boiling water in a cup & add a dash of milk. If it clumps together, it is off. Milk & all dairy products go thru so many processes nowadays that most milk etc. is ok to use 4 or 5 days past the expiry date. Morrisons is not going to sell you off milk, but they are trying to save you money by telling you that you do NOT have to bin the product spot on the useby date. For goodness sake, read the words before having a hissy fit.

That is disgusting, come on guys we live in a first world country. If there are shortages on fresh milk buy boxed until fresh returns to normal or better still buy from farmers.

Reactions: Liz and Fat&fancy
I can understand a best before date rather than a use by date. I often use milk a day or three after the use by date and it's still perfectly good. On the flip side I've also had milk that hasn't made it through to its date and have had to throw it away.
Very true, maybe reducing the price after a best before date has been reached to encourage purchase could be good?

Peoples noses contain a lot of the ace2 receptors that covid targets so putting their noses near the bottle to sniff is dangerous to others. Also opening the seal allows for other bacteria to enter. WHAT are they thinking
Obviously the sniff test is meant for home, not try before you buy LOL.

Ridiculous! it's dairy so I think it has to have a use by date, as we get older our senses diminish, so would rather not rely on my nose LOL. :sick:

Reactions: Liz

How discusting everyone opening milk to sniff. How unhygienic. Whats to stop nasties putting something in bottles. There sealed for a reason. If my bottle had been opened I'd take it back. And how many times can you open a bottle??

What about people like me who have anosmia, we rely on these dates to at least know us if it is safe to drink. I do not want to have to tip some into some hot water to see if curdles. People like me are already at a disadvantage if no one with a sense of taste or smell is not there.

Reactions: Liz
At last commonsense prevails! I go by the look, smell, feel and taste test, if it meets all these 4 criteria it becomes a useable item in my kitchen. Currently eating cake treats with a best before date of 20/12/2021 and haven’t died yet. I have a friend that buys pillow packs of ham, if the pack is opened today and not all used by tomorrow, it is thrown out. Complete waste!

Surely not!!! Even the shop wouldn't know how fresh their products were!! Imagine getting it home and it's off already!! Yuk!!