British expats divulge what they hate about Australia – from ‘BORING’ pubs to terrible road manners

As much as we love and wholeheartedly believe that nothing can ever compare to being raised and living Down Under, there will be certain things that expats will find bewildering and inevitably compare to their own home country – but also, of course, several advantages that would have convinced them to make the move in the first place!

A group of British expats revealed what they hate and love the most about our beloved country. Members of the Facebook group called ‘Ping Pong Brits’ huddled together to curate a list of pros and cons after spending years in their second home.

In some aspects, the cons seemed to outweigh the pros as a chunk of homesick Brits admitted that they will always feel ‘foreign’ regardless of how long they’ve been living in the country.

One teased that no matter how much research was done about living Down Under, the country “is not like they say in the brochures”.

She criticised the ‘boring’ Aussie pubs, costly international flights, and ‘cold’ houses but adored Australian coffee, our scenic beaches, and the laidback lifestyle.

Oe0_KZogJGHwjN0tA3FicevdpM3Iv-w9wZVfZ_7A9YmIou149rHx5i_KTgHSVztiwdM4cKFo3jYm0rQYJ6CXLYX8kjQKSWTXjkKeN0nqNBwCOjPmNNgWTnVTqdhAI1DNVCCREYN_6YdAnhGm_G4
ae8HkOHXBVbseEy8zlz5dOrlU_MoyZreB8JHvF87KKCQxi-i_ehWjvRBhBRu0BjKNinkMmmDUxoF3WbawX3FwaXCpOzrNGcNqWdrTkh-9j5SMEmqv7FAhgwCFr0vwpkj5sFLfYoE8f4UsOQz-Rc

Bondi Beach and an Aussie pub. Image Credit: Travel Lens, Travel2Next

The British expat detailed that Australian homes are cold due to a lack of double glazing and proper insulation. She also slammed inferior retail stores, high taxes and 'rules'. Also among her list of cons is the warm temperature during the holidays.

“Christmas in the heat is weird,” she said.

But she admitted that she loved the 'laidback' lifestyle, affordable childcare, better work-life balance, higher salaries, bigger houses, and the beaches. And the list of pros didn’t end there – she also raved about Australia's world-renowned coffee, the pleasant summer weather, and being able to engage in 'free outdoor activities'.

Another expat shared his own pros and cons of living Down Under, vouching for Australia's beaches, heavenly coffee, and retirement value.

However, he disclosed that a major downside was always being referred to as a 'Pom' – along with the flies, high UV index, and the 'extreme weather'.

In addition, the expat claimed that despite Aussies greeting you with 'G'day' they 'don’t wanna be friends' and said living in a nanny state 'stifles you'.

Brits use the term nanny state to describe a country with a government that overly meddles with its citizens’ personal choices or freedoms.

mX9U_iwbDwYZRtEy1XuCKg7vlxoLfV7mrNwqOWulQdel09VMm0Mh6T0LuAD6HouhbUvTkv-KFUJwAcDrUhHFEH5ghRIA745lrtO8F0-E1oxnmKw7xvUZZQfuok9Dw_KWDQMx8DD6Fnl6xanW08g

Delicious Australian coffee. Image Credit: Perfect Daily Grind

Other fellow members of the group hopped on the trend to share their own pros and cons, with one Brit saying that they felt 'grateful' to return to Australia after a trip to the UK.

“I live on acreage in South East Queensland and it's heaven. There are four seasons here but our winter is the same temperature as summer in England,” they wrote.

“I waiver at times to 'go home' but lived here longer than 'there',”

“I miss the English sense of humour and directness but I'm happy enough. Went back four years ago to visit family and was glad to come back to my life in Oz.”

Another chimed that they were a fan of the “peace and quiet, wide-open spaces, and endless blue skies”. The expat added that they loved Australia's diversity, the smaller amount of students in classrooms, and how everybody was treated as equals.

“I find money can go a long way when buying food. I only buy what I need, make as much as I can and grow a lot too,” they wrote.

t1kq2f8g9GNHYgxA2MXjz8PmyuU3_Sd-Kt8wW8oUuU-0flNnfeQ-sN-Zs2nDO3oHGkstmbQWFn2B5W68hCxlgXn_pg4ljodYw45mk2iisWI80BOSZB4sw-NoGg2DKTcQKzd7cYJX_BjMc3cO43Q

Pleasant summer weather in Australia. Image Credit: WhenisCalendars

“We're lucky, we live on an acre block with sheep over the fence for neighbours, 14 kilometres to my nearest shop (tiny supermarket), 60 kilometres to bigger cities or towns and we keep chickens for eggs,”

“You've just got to find your happy place in the world,”

“Family was a big pull when we first arrived in Oz, but both sets of parents are no longer alive. We now have seven grown-up kids and 16 grandkids. Our Australian family is really well and truly established now.”

Do you agree or disagree with some of these expats' pros and cons about living Down Under? Share your thoughts with us in the comments! We’d love to hear them.

Watch a British couple compare what it’s like living in Australia vs the UK with the video below:

Video Credit: The BAM Famalam in Australia

Sponsored
I agree about the pubs, where in the UK they are social centres here they are drinking centres and noisy, even after 50+ years I miss proper bacon but otherwise, I can think of no place I'd rather be and no one has called me POM in all those years

Reactions: Jo-an and Ricci
I agree about the pubs, where in the UK they are social centres here they are drinking centres and noisy, even after 50+ years I miss proper bacon but otherwise, I can think of no place I'd rather be and no one has called me POM in all those years
Me too. Have been here 52 years, been back a few times but have called Oz home, though when I go back to Scotland, I am going home. 87 now and disabled and sometimes have a good cry as if I was able to would be on that plane and back "home" one last time

As much as we love and wholeheartedly believe that nothing can ever compare to being raised and living Down Under, there will be certain things that expats will find bewildering and inevitably compare to their own home country – but also, of course, several advantages that would have convinced them to make the move in the first place!

A group of British expats revealed what they hate and love the most about our beloved country. Members of the Facebook group called ‘Ping Pong Brits’ huddled together to curate a list of pros and cons after spending years in their second home.

In some aspects, the cons seemed to outweigh the pros as a chunk of homesick Brits admitted that they will always feel ‘foreign’ regardless of how long they’ve been living in the country.

One teased that no matter how much research was done about living Down Under, the country “is not like they say in the brochures”.

She criticised the ‘boring’ Aussie pubs, costly international flights, and ‘cold’ houses but adored Australian coffee, our scenic beaches, and the laidback lifestyle.

Oe0_KZogJGHwjN0tA3FicevdpM3Iv-w9wZVfZ_7A9YmIou149rHx5i_KTgHSVztiwdM4cKFo3jYm0rQYJ6CXLYX8kjQKSWTXjkKeN0nqNBwCOjPmNNgWTnVTqdhAI1DNVCCREYN_6YdAnhGm_G4
ae8HkOHXBVbseEy8zlz5dOrlU_MoyZreB8JHvF87KKCQxi-i_ehWjvRBhBRu0BjKNinkMmmDUxoF3WbawX3FwaXCpOzrNGcNqWdrTkh-9j5SMEmqv7FAhgwCFr0vwpkj5sFLfYoE8f4UsOQz-Rc

Bondi Beach and an Aussie pub. Image Credit: Travel Lens, Travel2Next

The British expat detailed that Australian homes are cold due to a lack of double glazing and proper insulation. She also slammed inferior retail stores, high taxes and 'rules'. Also among her list of cons is the warm temperature during the holidays.

“Christmas in the heat is weird,” she said.

But she admitted that she loved the 'laidback' lifestyle, affordable childcare, better work-life balance, higher salaries, bigger houses, and the beaches. And the list of pros didn’t end there – she also raved about Australia's world-renowned coffee, the pleasant summer weather, and being able to engage in 'free outdoor activities'.

Another expat shared his own pros and cons of living Down Under, vouching for Australia's beaches, heavenly coffee, and retirement value.

However, he disclosed that a major downside was always being referred to as a 'Pom' – along with the flies, high UV index, and the 'extreme weather'.

In addition, the expat claimed that despite Aussies greeting you with 'G'day' they 'don’t wanna be friends' and said living in a nanny state 'stifles you'.

Brits use the term nanny state to describe a country with a government that overly meddles with its citizens’ personal choices or freedoms.

mX9U_iwbDwYZRtEy1XuCKg7vlxoLfV7mrNwqOWulQdel09VMm0Mh6T0LuAD6HouhbUvTkv-KFUJwAcDrUhHFEH5ghRIA745lrtO8F0-E1oxnmKw7xvUZZQfuok9Dw_KWDQMx8DD6Fnl6xanW08g

Delicious Australian coffee. Image Credit: Perfect Daily Grind

Other fellow members of the group hopped on the trend to share their own pros and cons, with one Brit saying that they felt 'grateful' to return to Australia after a trip to the UK.

“I live on acreage in South East Queensland and it's heaven. There are four seasons here but our winter is the same temperature as summer in England,” they wrote.

“I waiver at times to 'go home' but lived here longer than 'there',”

“I miss the English sense of humour and directness but I'm happy enough. Went back four years ago to visit family and was glad to come back to my life in Oz.”

Another chimed that they were a fan of the “peace and quiet, wide-open spaces, and endless blue skies”. The expat added that they loved Australia's diversity, the smaller amount of students in classrooms, and how everybody was treated as equals.

“I find money can go a long way when buying food. I only buy what I need, make as much as I can and grow a lot too,” they wrote.

t1kq2f8g9GNHYgxA2MXjz8PmyuU3_Sd-Kt8wW8oUuU-0flNnfeQ-sN-Zs2nDO3oHGkstmbQWFn2B5W68hCxlgXn_pg4ljodYw45mk2iisWI80BOSZB4sw-NoGg2DKTcQKzd7cYJX_BjMc3cO43Q

Pleasant summer weather in Australia. Image Credit: WhenisCalendars

“We're lucky, we live on an acre block with sheep over the fence for neighbours, 14 kilometres to my nearest shop (tiny supermarket), 60 kilometres to bigger cities or towns and we keep chickens for eggs,”

“You've just got to find your happy place in the world,”

“Family was a big pull when we first arrived in Oz, but both sets of parents are no longer alive. We now have seven grown-up kids and 16 grandkids. Our Australian family is really well and truly established now.”

Do you agree or disagree with some of these expats' pros and cons about living Down Under? Share your thoughts with us in the comments! We’d love to hear them.

Watch a British couple compare what it’s like living in Australia vs the UK with the video below:

Video Credit: The BAM Famalam in Australia

Me too. Have been here 52 years, been back a few times but have called Oz home, though when I go back to Scotland, I am going home. 87 now and disabled and sometimes have a good cry as if I was able to would be on that plane and back "home" one last time

I am British by birth but Aussie by choice. Have been here for 40 odd years and have never had an inkling to go back and yes, I do still have family there. Sure, there are some things I miss (not many though if I'm honest) and most of them can be fixed by watching British shows on tv! If I was to ever go back to England, it would be as a tourist as I now think it's a brilliant place to experience but I would never want to live there again.:)

Lived in Australia for 50 years, am a citizen and don't sound English, yet when I return to England, i want to live there. Why? the humour, wit and the silliness. Frey Bentos pies, warm beer, Waitrose and Morrison's supermarkets, London. Now I'm wanting to return only when masks are not required on the plane. If I get covid, i get covid.

Reactions: Ricci
If you tasted uncooked raw bacon you would be amazed at the difference. Much better flavour and crispiness.

Reactions: Ricci
One of my pet peeves is when an expat from a different country has the cheek to complain about Australia. Wasn`t it good enough for you to get a job, raise your family and all the other benefits you have received over how many years you have resided here..If not happy then please return to the country of your birth and stop complaining.

Lived in Australia for 50 years, am a citizen and don't sound English, yet when I return to England, i want to live there. Why? the humour, wit and the silliness. Frey Bentos pies, warm beer, Waitrose and Morrison's supermarkets, London. Now I'm wanting to return only when masks are not required on the plane. If I get covid, i get covid.
Aldi sells Frey Bentos pies sometimes.

Seriously, you chose to come here! Go back! No one is holding you to ransom! You can always tell the pond in public transport, cafes etc cuz they are always complaining! I turned around to a few having coffee behind me & said “obviously you not happy here, Pack up & go back! Cuz we don’t want you here complaining about everything & yet you get everything given To you!” They all replied ohh no we will never go back so I said stop f&$king complaining then!

• Angry
Reactions: Jo-an and Ricci