British expats divulge what they hate about Australia – from ‘BORING’ pubs to terrible road manners

As much as we love and wholeheartedly believe that nothing can ever compare to being raised and living Down Under, there will be certain things that expats will find bewildering and inevitably compare to their own home country – but also, of course, several advantages that would have convinced them to make the move in the first place!

A group of British expats revealed what they hate and love the most about our beloved country. Members of the Facebook group called ‘Ping Pong Brits’ huddled together to curate a list of pros and cons after spending years in their second home.

In some aspects, the cons seemed to outweigh the pros as a chunk of homesick Brits admitted that they will always feel ‘foreign’ regardless of how long they’ve been living in the country.

One teased that no matter how much research was done about living Down Under, the country “is not like they say in the brochures”.

She criticised the ‘boring’ Aussie pubs, costly international flights, and ‘cold’ houses but adored Australian coffee, our scenic beaches, and the laidback lifestyle.

Oe0_KZogJGHwjN0tA3FicevdpM3Iv-w9wZVfZ_7A9YmIou149rHx5i_KTgHSVztiwdM4cKFo3jYm0rQYJ6CXLYX8kjQKSWTXjkKeN0nqNBwCOjPmNNgWTnVTqdhAI1DNVCCREYN_6YdAnhGm_G4
ae8HkOHXBVbseEy8zlz5dOrlU_MoyZreB8JHvF87KKCQxi-i_ehWjvRBhBRu0BjKNinkMmmDUxoF3WbawX3FwaXCpOzrNGcNqWdrTkh-9j5SMEmqv7FAhgwCFr0vwpkj5sFLfYoE8f4UsOQz-Rc

Bondi Beach and an Aussie pub. Image Credit: Travel Lens, Travel2Next

The British expat detailed that Australian homes are cold due to a lack of double glazing and proper insulation. She also slammed inferior retail stores, high taxes and 'rules'. Also among her list of cons is the warm temperature during the holidays.

“Christmas in the heat is weird,” she said.

But she admitted that she loved the 'laidback' lifestyle, affordable childcare, better work-life balance, higher salaries, bigger houses, and the beaches. And the list of pros didn’t end there – she also raved about Australia's world-renowned coffee, the pleasant summer weather, and being able to engage in 'free outdoor activities'.

Another expat shared his own pros and cons of living Down Under, vouching for Australia's beaches, heavenly coffee, and retirement value.

However, he disclosed that a major downside was always being referred to as a 'Pom' – along with the flies, high UV index, and the 'extreme weather'.

In addition, the expat claimed that despite Aussies greeting you with 'G'day' they 'don’t wanna be friends' and said living in a nanny state 'stifles you'.

Brits use the term nanny state to describe a country with a government that overly meddles with its citizens’ personal choices or freedoms.

mX9U_iwbDwYZRtEy1XuCKg7vlxoLfV7mrNwqOWulQdel09VMm0Mh6T0LuAD6HouhbUvTkv-KFUJwAcDrUhHFEH5ghRIA745lrtO8F0-E1oxnmKw7xvUZZQfuok9Dw_KWDQMx8DD6Fnl6xanW08g

Delicious Australian coffee. Image Credit: Perfect Daily Grind

Other fellow members of the group hopped on the trend to share their own pros and cons, with one Brit saying that they felt 'grateful' to return to Australia after a trip to the UK.

“I live on acreage in South East Queensland and it's heaven. There are four seasons here but our winter is the same temperature as summer in England,” they wrote.

“I waiver at times to 'go home' but lived here longer than 'there',”

“I miss the English sense of humour and directness but I'm happy enough. Went back four years ago to visit family and was glad to come back to my life in Oz.”

Another chimed that they were a fan of the “peace and quiet, wide-open spaces, and endless blue skies”. The expat added that they loved Australia's diversity, the smaller amount of students in classrooms, and how everybody was treated as equals.

“I find money can go a long way when buying food. I only buy what I need, make as much as I can and grow a lot too,” they wrote.

t1kq2f8g9GNHYgxA2MXjz8PmyuU3_Sd-Kt8wW8oUuU-0flNnfeQ-sN-Zs2nDO3oHGkstmbQWFn2B5W68hCxlgXn_pg4ljodYw45mk2iisWI80BOSZB4sw-NoGg2DKTcQKzd7cYJX_BjMc3cO43Q

Pleasant summer weather in Australia. Image Credit: WhenisCalendars

“We're lucky, we live on an acre block with sheep over the fence for neighbours, 14 kilometres to my nearest shop (tiny supermarket), 60 kilometres to bigger cities or towns and we keep chickens for eggs,”

“You've just got to find your happy place in the world,”

“Family was a big pull when we first arrived in Oz, but both sets of parents are no longer alive. We now have seven grown-up kids and 16 grandkids. Our Australian family is really well and truly established now.”

Do you agree or disagree with some of these expats' pros and cons about living Down Under? Share your thoughts with us in the comments! We’d love to hear them.

Watch a British couple compare what it’s like living in Australia vs the UK with the video below:

Video Credit: The BAM Famalam in Australia

Sponsored
As much as we love and wholeheartedly believe that nothing can ever compare to being raised and living Down Under, there will be certain things that expats will find bewildering and inevitably compare to their own home country – but also, of course, several advantages that would have convinced them to make the move in the first place!

A group of British expats revealed what they hate and love the most about our beloved country. Members of the Facebook group called ‘Ping Pong Brits’ huddled together to curate a list of pros and cons after spending years in their second home.

In some aspects, the cons seemed to outweigh the pros as a chunk of homesick Brits admitted that they will always feel ‘foreign’ regardless of how long they’ve been living in the country.

One teased that no matter how much research was done about living Down Under, the country “is not like they say in the brochures”.

She criticised the ‘boring’ Aussie pubs, costly international flights, and ‘cold’ houses but adored Australian coffee, our scenic beaches, and the laidback lifestyle.

Oe0_KZogJGHwjN0tA3FicevdpM3Iv-w9wZVfZ_7A9YmIou149rHx5i_KTgHSVztiwdM4cKFo3jYm0rQYJ6CXLYX8kjQKSWTXjkKeN0nqNBwCOjPmNNgWTnVTqdhAI1DNVCCREYN_6YdAnhGm_G4
ae8HkOHXBVbseEy8zlz5dOrlU_MoyZreB8JHvF87KKCQxi-i_ehWjvRBhBRu0BjKNinkMmmDUxoF3WbawX3FwaXCpOzrNGcNqWdrTkh-9j5SMEmqv7FAhgwCFr0vwpkj5sFLfYoE8f4UsOQz-Rc

Bondi Beach and an Aussie pub. Image Credit: Travel Lens, Travel2Next

The British expat detailed that Australian homes are cold due to a lack of double glazing and proper insulation. She also slammed inferior retail stores, high taxes and 'rules'. Also among her list of cons is the warm temperature during the holidays.

“Christmas in the heat is weird,” she said.

But she admitted that she loved the 'laidback' lifestyle, affordable childcare, better work-life balance, higher salaries, bigger houses, and the beaches. And the list of pros didn’t end there – she also raved about Australia's world-renowned coffee, the pleasant summer weather, and being able to engage in 'free outdoor activities'.

Another expat shared his own pros and cons of living Down Under, vouching for Australia's beaches, heavenly coffee, and retirement value.

However, he disclosed that a major downside was always being referred to as a 'Pom' – along with the flies, high UV index, and the 'extreme weather'.

In addition, the expat claimed that despite Aussies greeting you with 'G'day' they 'don’t wanna be friends' and said living in a nanny state 'stifles you'.

Brits use the term nanny state to describe a country with a government that overly meddles with its citizens’ personal choices or freedoms.

mX9U_iwbDwYZRtEy1XuCKg7vlxoLfV7mrNwqOWulQdel09VMm0Mh6T0LuAD6HouhbUvTkv-KFUJwAcDrUhHFEH5ghRIA745lrtO8F0-E1oxnmKw7xvUZZQfuok9Dw_KWDQMx8DD6Fnl6xanW08g

Delicious Australian coffee. Image Credit: Perfect Daily Grind

Other fellow members of the group hopped on the trend to share their own pros and cons, with one Brit saying that they felt 'grateful' to return to Australia after a trip to the UK.

“I live on acreage in South East Queensland and it's heaven. There are four seasons here but our winter is the same temperature as summer in England,” they wrote.

“I waiver at times to 'go home' but lived here longer than 'there',”

“I miss the English sense of humour and directness but I'm happy enough. Went back four years ago to visit family and was glad to come back to my life in Oz.”

Another chimed that they were a fan of the “peace and quiet, wide-open spaces, and endless blue skies”. The expat added that they loved Australia's diversity, the smaller amount of students in classrooms, and how everybody was treated as equals.

“I find money can go a long way when buying food. I only buy what I need, make as much as I can and grow a lot too,” they wrote.

t1kq2f8g9GNHYgxA2MXjz8PmyuU3_Sd-Kt8wW8oUuU-0flNnfeQ-sN-Zs2nDO3oHGkstmbQWFn2B5W68hCxlgXn_pg4ljodYw45mk2iisWI80BOSZB4sw-NoGg2DKTcQKzd7cYJX_BjMc3cO43Q

Pleasant summer weather in Australia. Image Credit: WhenisCalendars

“We're lucky, we live on an acre block with sheep over the fence for neighbours, 14 kilometres to my nearest shop (tiny supermarket), 60 kilometres to bigger cities or towns and we keep chickens for eggs,”

“You've just got to find your happy place in the world,”

“Family was a big pull when we first arrived in Oz, but both sets of parents are no longer alive. We now have seven grown-up kids and 16 grandkids. Our Australian family is really well and truly established now.”

Do you agree or disagree with some of these expats' pros and cons about living Down Under? Share your thoughts with us in the comments! We’d love to hear them.

Watch a British couple compare what it’s like living in Australia vs the UK with the video below:

Video Credit: The BAM Famalam in Australia

Yes l guess being called a Pom all the time could be annoying. A gent l once worked with overcame that problem when he became an AUSTRALIAN CITIZEN. He photocopied his Citizenship Certificate, shrunk down to the size of an ID Card & laminated it. Whenever he was called a POM he whipped out the card & showed them his Citizenship card. Sure drew a lot of jokes if nothing else.

Reactions: Ricci
Seriously, you chose to come here! Go back! No one is holding you to ransom! You can always tell the pond in public transport, cafes etc cuz they are always complaining! I turned around to a few having coffee behind me & said “obviously you not happy here, Pack up & go back! Cuz we don’t want you here complaining about everything & yet you get everything given To you!” They all replied ohh no we will never go back so I said stop f&$king complaining then!
I did not choose to come here. I came with my parents as a minor. Circumstances have prevented me from visiting "home" since 1974 but Australia is now home and my children and most of my grandchildren are here.
However, unless you have ever lived away from your place of birth and formative years you cannot possibly understand the homesickness you suffer.
Being British we have also been the victims of vicious racism and, having been at both day and boarding school here, I can attest to quite how vicious it was by both students and teachers.
This is a wonderful country of opportunity and I do love it here (apart from the intense heat in WA in the summer) but there are still things that I miss and there always will be.

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci
Yes l guess being called a Pom all the time could be annoying. A gent l once worked with overcame that problem when he became an AUSTRALIAN CITIZEN. He photocopied his Citizenship Certificate, shrunk down to the size of an ID Card & laminated it. Whenever he was called a POM he whipped out the card & showed them his Citizenship card. Sure drew a lot of jokes if nothing else.
We were told (by an Australian) when we first arrived that we had a choice, we could either join an ex pat club, mix with other English and be called a Pom. Or we could mix with Australians. become integrated and be called a Brit!:ROFLMAO: We decided to become Brits!!:)

Reactions: Ezzy
Not English but can totally agree about the pubs. City pubs can be crass overcrowded and expensive. Ever tried to get a drink at some of the pubs on a Friday after 2pm. The music is loud everyone is talking loud and no where to sit. They have no atmosphere.
Prefer the country pubs.

There’s good and bad in every country and culture.
We came to Australia 40 years ago and I loved it straightaway. At first there‘re things that I questioned, but hey, we choose to be here so, we needed to accept, adapt and respect. I think that cultures are beautiful and we can learn from each other. I love Australia and I love living here.
💗💗💗💗👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼