SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Jonathan Leane

Jonathan Leane

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 18, 2021
Brissie resident livid over neighbour’s second-hand smoke - what do you think?

Smoking is most often a personal choice, one we know by now has its related health risks — but as one recent post on Reddit’s r/brisbane subreddit shows, its effects on other people can take a toll.

A livid Redditor — presumably a Brisbane local — aired their frustrations on the platform last October 2, 2022, over their neighbour’s second-hand smoke wafting into their home.

'Our clean washing STINKS, we can no longer use our back deck. Our windows stay shut 90% of the day, so we're living in a prison. Air conditioners don't filter and cost us money to run,' said the Reddit user, who has since deleted their account.

According to the post, the neighbours’ smoke rendered their backyard useless. As such, they couldn’t eat their breakfast outside, or even exercise in their own yard.

DALL·E 2022-10-04 18.47.51 - Upset looking women next to man smoking, digital art.png
A Brisbane resident has divided the internet on whether her complaints about her neighbours' smoking are justified. Source: OpenAI

The post author also pointed out that their neighbours smoke all throughout the day, and that the neighbours have also been informed of concerns over their smoking habit’s effects numerous times, but to no apparent effect.

'This person is shifting the burden of their health choice onto us,' the original poster (OP) said.

'How dare you shift your cancer causing habit INTO my home. My bedrooms, and my kitchen…. YOU choose to smoke, I do not. You deal with the effects of your habit, that's not my responsibility,' they stressed.

The post has elicited mostly sympathetic reactions to the OP’s residential plight — even from smokers.

'As a smoker, and I'd like to think a considerate one at that- honestly, I'd rather you knock on the door and tell me rather than let it get to you like this. I can always move where I smoke, you can't exactly move houses,' one user wrote.

'I completely understand where you're coming from. Until last year, lived in a block of units owned by the same owner and rented through the same agency. Had the smoke from downstairs come into our place every night. Response from the agency was nil. They didn't really care either about the spitting off the balcony or the pissing either. At least the pissing stopped when I lost my s*** at 3 in the morning,' another said.

Some users, however, have taken a more cynical view of the post..

'Really? Your backyard is unusable? Your washing stinks? I don't believe that someone could smoke enough cigarettes to make your home unusable. Just sounds like an hysterical anti-smoking rant. Feel sorry for your neighbours,' one said.

'I don't understand. Is your nose super sensitive? How could you possibly smell someone's smoke from across the road? Even with the case of your next door neighbour, I still don't see how you'd smell it, let alone it be a big enough deal that it affects your entire quality of life,' another added.

As of posting time, the Reddit post has 502 upvotes (likes) and 648 comments.

According to the Department of Health and Aged Care, for every eight fatalities related to smoking, one non-smoker affected by second-hand smoke dies.

Meanwhile, Australian smokers use about 12.3 cigarettes daily on average.

What’s your take on the whole issue? Is the original poster right to call out their neighbours? Or are they making a big deal out of nothing?

Let us know what you think in the comments below!

The Australian government has resources for those who wish to quit smoking. Call 13 QUIT (13 7848) or visit Quitline here for more details.

Reactions: Ricci and BJM
Load of rubbish no way you could affect outdoor area without a smoke machine running overtime
Actually it is not a load of rubbish, My neighbour smokes on her back verandah (and not in her house). This is a problem for me as I am asthmatic and her smoke drifts over to my house. However, I say nothing because I believe that it is her right to smoke on her own property. Part of the problem nowadays is that councils are greedy for rates money so they allow builders to create smaller and smaller blocks, with tiny or non-existent yards, and they approve the older larger blocks to be subdivided. As a result, we live closer and closer to our neighbours with no breathing space (pun intended). Social studies have shown that as housing density increases, social issues (crime, violence, traffic, parking problems, pollution, etc) also increase. Second-hand smoke is the tip of the iceberg.

I have lung damage after inhaling concrete dust years ago. My lung function is severely restricted.
I "choke" on candle smoke, cigarette smoke, indoor fire smoke, bush fire smoke, and perfumes.
Recently, I had a family of renters living next door to me for 5 years after the owner moved out.
The 2 parents smoked from early morning to late at night outside.
They sat down the side just over the side fence.
I could not breathe when they were smoking.
I could not leave windows or doors open to get fresh air.
My washing was affected......especially noticeable on the pillowslips and towels.
I was very uncomfortable when I couldn't get my breath, and tears would stream down my face.
When the owner sold the house, the tenants left.
The new owners do not smoke, I have my freedom returned to be in my yard when it suits me.

I have neighbours that scream obscenities at each other 3 days a week. Last week I took in my mother's miniature schnauzer. My dog a jack Russell was not happy after 90 mins she came screaming into my front door with threats to call the council. Yes, it was terribly distressing, the dogs fighting and her abuse. They are the most vile people. Thankfully my son took the dog home to Orange. Max is such a soft sweet dog and his 2 children love him so much. They know him well. I just feel so triggered by this horrible woman who said I was an alcoholic like her husband. 10 years ago I would have said yes but my Dr always said I'm not. I was self medicating my complex PTSD depression, anxiety and the fear of my then husband. He was put into LongBay last Year not for his abuse to me but hard drugs dealing. At least someone recognised he was a criminal

• Sad
Reactions: debjane and Ricci
We moved into a beautiful home at the beginning of 2013. We’d inspected the house two or three times before we moved in and couldn’t detect any hint of cigarette smoke. We both have asthma, so we wouldn’t have bought a house formerly occupied by smokers, and in any case, the couple selling were in their late 80s. We couldn’t believe it when we moved in and realised that the walls were two coloured - pale brown where no paintings or wall hangings has been, and ivory on the bits that had been covered.

It cost a lot more to have the whole inside painted, because nicotine staining bleeds through ordinary undercoat and top coat. We decided to install ducted air conditioning, and gave the split system installed when we bought the house, to a neighbour. She’s a clean freak, so she pulled it to pieces and cleaned it three times, but when it was installed, the smell of smoke continued to be noticeable for about three years.

Our next door neighbour was so happy to have us living there, because the former owner had stood outside the laundry door to smoke. The neighbour’s kitchen window was only about three metres from where the lady used to stand. They were unable to have the kitchen window open, except at night, when the former owner smoked inside.

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci
I had borders once who smoked. From the start I told them no smoking inside, so they used the backyard.Unfortunately that was exactly under my bedroom window, so I had to keep my window closed all the time. I used to smoke myself (for 30 years!) and it s unbelievable how it gets into everything: clothes, curtains, hair, and even more so if freshly washed! So I can see how frustrating it must be, and it is not exaggerated

Reactions: Jennie and JayKay
If you had our neighbour you would not complain about smoke. He starts up his quad bike at 2.00 am and drives it around his section for a couple of hours. He has several lunatic friends who also join in the fun. We are his closest neighbour and I could quite easily strangle him, (no strength at 81 years old though). The noise coming from his property is dreadful. We have discussed it with him, informed the police 6 times, yet still nothing happens. Too hard basket I guess. I have slept with ear plugs for the past five years, ever since we built here. His property is on the market and I pray it goes. Thanks for listening.

Reactions: Jennie
What in the world is the neighbour smoking? A stalk of green bamboo or something. Really the cigaret smoke actually engulfed the yard, how close is the neighbour smoking to the house for the smoke to permeate the interior of the house? I understand the danger of smoking and second hand smoke, but this woman is paranoid.
Lady you need help.

What in the world is the neighbour smoking? A stalk of green bamboo or something. Really the cigaret smoke actually engulfed the yard, how close is the neighbour smoking to the house for the smoke to permeate the interior of the house? I understand the danger of smoking and second hand smoke, but this woman is paranoid.
Lady you need help.
Smoke does infiltrate someone else's house.
It must know the people who are paranoid or suffer from respiratory difficulties and get into their houses.

Reactions: MotherGoose