Bride wears her grandmother’s wedding dress from 1961

In her grandmother’s 60-year-old wedding dress, a woman from Massachusetts got married, saying she will “treasure the incredible moment forever”.

On September 25, Allie Livingwater tied the knot with partner Timothy at Turner Falls, Massachusetts.

She wore a stunning white dress worn by her grandma, Anne Cooke, on her own wedding day. The gown fit perfectly on Allie and it required no alterations. However, she added a hoop skirt underneath it and did get the dress dry cleaned since it has been stored in the basement since 1961.

ftuPmw_V6yF3jRiIYEWst1n44a3PDEDgQRQUgzQUYxFlx2rIG45Q4kriXJfdR6DDH8EUXtsX1f4mEUQKYJBxKn-6SNF3jRSK0AXdMDCMgcO0FyBQmjh6mQanDGbGPP4DEIPtdlQD=s1600

When the bride-to-be discovered the dress in the basement in 2016, she knew she wanted to wear it as her ‘something borrowed’. Photo from @keptyaphotography / MERCURY PRESS.

“My grandma couldn't believe I decided to wear her dress,” said Allie. “She didn't think it was anything special. But to me, it was.”

It even came as a surprise to the 88-year-old that her granddaughter was the same size as her.

"I definitely think the dress has brought us even closer together."

6tC3drdowxCwsFn5n7u_Z8ZiM3lAYdFpjNRbM7oenAUwJOJg5hFmGJJxUfk-psQsf3YA4Z8Ows_1ezpViXEvn3c-0Y_8KSKrNOX66bgZMcSsrQGlXZbFMMs8pw_yLjJ13L2MilE1=s1600

Allie said she fell in love with how the dress looked from the moment she had seen it. Photo from MERCURY PRESS.

The 23-year-old grew up with her grandmother Anne. Allie’s family moved into her home when Cooke’s husband passed away after 38 years of marriage.

“The dress is obviously sentimental to me as she wore it to marry my granddad,” said Allie.

She never met her grandfather, but she knew "they had a successful, long and happy marriage”.

“So it felt like the dress paved the way for my marriage.”

oXcclXir0Xa-4ORZxwfSj-JoytP654jEOMrOq9f1hVi15ElrmgJWBoD97X-qJZi4Kzl3RhLfc8SKW73cgX9zgaYiIU5xQTcw9aV4_VnS3aT9oUSNzdDhqT9W-483T_bQ2VudBje5=s1600

Allie saved $2,000 because she didn't have to buy a new one. Photo from @keptyaphotography / MERCURY PRESS.

The display made Ms Cooke emotional when she caught her first glimpse of Allie wearing her dress.

"She was tearing up when she saw me for the first time on my big day," the bride said.

George Cooke, the newlywed’s father, also shed tears at the sight of his daughter wearing his mum’s wedding dress.

"My dad was over the moon as his mum had worn the dress to marry his father," Allie recalled.

"Everyone was complimenting me and thought it was a lovely gesture," she added.

Sponsored
My mother was so tiny when she married.. my daughter wore her wedding dress when she was about 12 or 13 as a dress-up, and although she's only a size 8 to 10, it was too small for her when she was married.... I was size 14-16 so couldn't wear her dress... but it still sits in a box, mum passed on a few years ago. I gave my dress to my aunt who was making wedding dolls at the time, so my dress became many little doll wedding dresses....and donned the back windows of the wedding cars....

Bride wears her grandmother’s wedding dress from 1961

In her grandmother’s 60-year-old wedding dress, a woman from Massachusetts got married, saying she will “treasure the incredible moment forever”.

On September 25, Allie Livingwater tied the knot with partner Timothy at Turner Falls, Massachusetts.

She wore a stunning white dress worn by her grandma, Anne Cooke, on her own wedding day. The gown fit perfectly on Allie and it required no alterations. However, she added a hoop skirt underneath it and did get the dress dry cleaned since it has been stored in the basement since 1961.

ftuPmw_V6yF3jRiIYEWst1n44a3PDEDgQRQUgzQUYxFlx2rIG45Q4kriXJfdR6DDH8EUXtsX1f4mEUQKYJBxKn-6SNF3jRSK0AXdMDCMgcO0FyBQmjh6mQanDGbGPP4DEIPtdlQD=s1600

When the bride-to-be discovered the dress in the basement in 2016, she knew she wanted to wear it as her ‘something borrowed’. Photo from @keptyaphotography / MERCURY PRESS.

“My grandma couldn't believe I decided to wear her dress,” said Allie. “She didn't think it was anything special. But to me, it was.”

It even came as a surprise to the 88-year-old that her granddaughter was the same size as her.

"I definitely think the dress has brought us even closer together."

6tC3drdowxCwsFn5n7u_Z8ZiM3lAYdFpjNRbM7oenAUwJOJg5hFmGJJxUfk-psQsf3YA4Z8Ows_1ezpViXEvn3c-0Y_8KSKrNOX66bgZMcSsrQGlXZbFMMs8pw_yLjJ13L2MilE1=s1600

Allie said she fell in love with how the dress looked from the moment she had seen it. Photo from MERCURY PRESS.

The 23-year-old grew up with her grandmother Anne. Allie’s family moved into her home when Cooke’s husband passed away after 38 years of marriage.

“The dress is obviously sentimental to me as she wore it to marry my granddad,” said Allie.

She never met her grandfather, but she knew "they had a successful, long and happy marriage”.

“So it felt like the dress paved the way for my marriage.”

oXcclXir0Xa-4ORZxwfSj-JoytP654jEOMrOq9f1hVi15ElrmgJWBoD97X-qJZi4Kzl3RhLfc8SKW73cgX9zgaYiIU5xQTcw9aV4_VnS3aT9oUSNzdDhqT9W-483T_bQ2VudBje5=s1600

Allie saved $2,000 because she didn't have to buy a new one. Photo from @keptyaphotography / MERCURY PRESS.

The display made Ms Cooke emotional when she caught her first glimpse of Allie wearing her dress.

"She was tearing up when she saw me for the first time on my big day," the bride said.

George Cooke, the newlywed’s father, also shed tears at the sight of his daughter wearing his mum’s wedding dress.

"My dad was over the moon as his mum had worn the dress to marry his father," Allie recalled.

"Everyone was complimenting me and thought it was a lovely gesture," she added.
How wonderfull, what an amazing memory for her to have. ❤️👌❤️