Bride sacrifices her health to save for her partner’s perfect wedding ⁠and the internet is outraged - what do you think?

For most of us, our wedding day is the biggest party we’ll ever throw. More than just the union of two people, it is also a celebration of love ⁠— a party that gathers a couple’s families and friends together.

Because of this, and probably also in no small part due to the prevalence of social media, couples these days often feel great pressure to throw an ‘epic’ wedding. Unfortunately, doing so often comes with great expense.

But should it come at the cost of your health?

Turning to the internet for advice, a woman innocently asked on social media how much other people have tucked away for their dream weddings.

But in posting, the bride to be also revealed that she has resorted to missing health appointments and cutting back on necessary medication to save money. According to her message, her fiancé has a clear idea of how their big day should go, and they need to aggressively save to make it a reality.

A member of a popular wedding Facebook group shared screenshots of the bride to be’s answers, which generated a great deal of interest and sympathy, but also some outrage. The woman, seeing the reactions from members, tried to justify her actions.

ishan-seefromthesky-NIQ52qeXOBU-unsplash.jpg
The internet is heartbroken about a future bride’s massive sacrifice. Credit: Unsplash/Ishan

‘My future husband wanted a wedding, and he’s got way more family than I do. Someone has to pay for them. I don’t have a job due to my lupus and I’m very well not going to have my fiancé front everything,’ she said, defending her decisions on the social media platform.

The woman also told members that she could save $1200 in three months if she skipped her medication.

Determined to make the wedding come true, she added: ‘If it saves me money for the wedding he truly wants, I’ll do anything for him.’

Needless to say, the woman’s statement didn’t give other members a good impression of her fiancé. By encouraging this behaviour, her partner valued a ‘party’ more than her health, or so it seemed to the group.

‘It’s wild that she is seemingly willing to die for him to have the party he wants, and he doesn’t want to compromise his perfect party for his fiancée’s health. I mean, she’s not going to feel good at her wedding most likely, right?’ one member speculated.

Another person aghast at the woman’s situation said: ‘What the f**k has he done to her to make her feel so worthless and undeserving of treatment? It seems she’s trapped as many disabled people are in relationships.’

The bride-to-be gave another update trying to shrug off people’s concerns: ‘For everyone a little shocked — I’m sorry. It’s very hard to have lupus and fibro, with no job, but still want a wedding. It's like deciding whether you want to eat or pay your electric bill. It sounds crazy, yes. But I just want my future husband to be happy with this wedding. I want my in-laws to be happy and hopefully be more of a family to me than how they are now.’

But this worried people even more.

“Her in-laws aren’t gonna like her more just because she’s torturing herself for a wedding day. And the fact that her husband [to-be] is fine with her doing that just so he can have the day HE wants is disgusting, and such a massive red flag,” said one member.

‘This is what happens when your disease weighs heavily on you mentally. You start to think you can’t be loved without making major compromises often to your health to prove you’re worthy of spending time with or loving,’ someone else pointed out.

At present, there’s still no conclusion yet to the woman’s predicament. But weddings do break the bank for many couples.

According to a Moneysmart survey, weddings in Australia cost an average of $36,000. In order to meet the expenses, 82% of couples choose to dip into their savings, 60% took out a loan, and 18% used their credit card.

Moneysmart recommends couples decide on a budget that is comfortable for both parties, break down the wedding costs, and research to find great deals. The website also urges those planning their wedding to always negotiate prices.

Do you feel that the bride-to-be is risking too much for the perfect wedding? And are people spending too much on weddings these days? Let us know in the comments below.

Last edited:
Reactions: RTS and BJM
Sponsored
Is this domestic abuse starting even BEFORE they're married? Or just plain thoughtlessness from BOTH of them? They need to talk to each other, honestly and openly. I feel so sorry for them both. I hope they work things out before it's too late.

For most of us, our wedding day is the biggest party we’ll ever throw. More than just the union of two people, it is also a celebration of love ⁠— a party that gathers a couple’s families and friends together.

Because of this, and probably also in no small part due to the prevalence of social media, couples these days often feel great pressure to throw an ‘epic’ wedding. Unfortunately, doing so often comes with great expense.

Turning to the internet for advice, a woman innocently asked on social media how much other people have tucked away for their dream weddings.

But in posting, the bride to be also revealed that she has resorted to missing health appointments and cutting back on necessary medication to save money. According to her message, her fiancé has a clear idea of how their big day should go, and they need to aggressively save to make it a reality.

A member of a popular wedding Facebook group shared screenshots of the bride to be’s answers, which generated a great deal of interest and sympathy, but also some outrage. The woman, seeing the reactions from members, tried to justify her actions.

View attachment 4846
The internet is heartbroken about a future bride’s massive sacrifice. Credit: Unsplash/Ishan

‘My future husband wanted a wedding, and he’s got way more family than I do. Someone has to pay for them. I don’t have a job due to my lupus and I’m very well not going to have my fiancé front everything,’ she said, defending her decisions on the social media platform.

The woman also told members that she could save $1200 in three months if she skipped her medication.

Determined to make the wedding come true, she added: ‘If it saves me money for the wedding he truly wants, I’ll do anything for him.’

Needless to say, the woman’s statement didn’t give other members a good impression of her fiancé. By encouraging this behaviour, her partner valued a ‘party’ more than her health, or so it seemed to the group.

‘It’s wild that she is seemingly willing to die for him to have the party he wants, and he doesn’t want to compromise his perfect party for his fiancée’s health. I mean, she’s not going to feel good at her wedding most likely, right?’ one member speculated.

Another person aghast at the woman’s situation said: ‘What the f**k has he done to her to make her feel so worthless and undeserving of treatment? It seems she’s trapped as many disabled people are in relationships.’

The bride-to-be gave another update trying to shrug off people’s concerns: ‘For everyone a little shocked — I’m sorry. It’s very hard to have lupus and fibro, with no job, but still want a wedding. It's like deciding whether you want to eat or pay your electric bill. It sounds crazy, yes. But I just want my future husband to be happy with this wedding. I want my in-laws to be happy and hopefully be more of a family to me than how they are now.’

“Her in-laws aren’t gonna like her more just because she’s torturing herself for a wedding day. And the fact that her husband [to-be] is fine with her doing that just so he can have the day HE wants is disgusting, and such a massive red flag,” said one member.

‘This is what happens when your disease weighs heavily on you mentally. You start to think you can’t be loved without making major compromises often to your health to prove you’re worthy of spending time with or loving,’ someone else pointed out.

At present, there’s still no conclusion yet to the woman’s predicament. But weddings do break the bank for many couples.

According to a Moneysmart survey, weddings in Australia cost an average of $36,000. In order to meet the expenses, 82% of couples choose to dip into their savings, 60% took out a loan, and 18% used their credit card.

Moneysmart recommends couples decide on a budget that is comfortable for both parties, break down the wedding costs, and research to find great deals. The website also urges those planning their wedding to always negotiate prices.

Do you feel that the bride-to-be is risking too much for the perfect wedding? And are people spending too much on weddings these days? Let us know in the comments below.
Money cannot buy happiness. If the family arent worth having you in it, then that won’t change. I’ve also noticed that the more money spent on a wedding, the shorter it lasts.

There isn't really any evidence that the fiance is aware that she is not buying her medication in order to save money so I wouldn't be so quick to judge him. If he is aware, then that is a MASSIVE red flag. The bride-to-be needs to wake up to the fact that she is unlikely to be able to buy her in-laws' respect and/or affections with her sacrifice. It's nice that she loves her fiance that much that she is willing to make that sacrifice but if her fiance truly loved her, he wouldn't expect that. The problem these days is that people have unrealistic expectations about having "epic weddings". I can't understand why people want to blow thousands and thousands of dollars on an event that is only going to last a few hours. Eventually it will be forgotten by everybody. You can have a really lovely wedding on a much smaller budget. Much better to invest the money in something worthwhile, like a house. Another issue is the cost of the medication. Odds are that this story comes out of America where the cost of medication is truly outrageous. Thank goodness Australia has the Pharmaceutical Benefit Scheme to subside essential medications.

Reactions: Nardia and Ricci

View attachment 4846

There are no words to aptly express her stupidity or his selfishness!!

Turmeric is a very good anti-inflammatory, which can be found at your local supermarket in the spice aisle.
If the bride isn't taking any medications she could take 1/2 teaspoonful of turmeric, with black pepper to increase bioavailability, twice a day.
Also a good multivitamin and mineral supplement.
I'd also take evening primrose oil capsules too, available from Woolies.

Reactions: Ricci
If a good marriage is based upon honesty and openness then I'm afraid this one is doomed to fail. Do these people not talk to one another? I might be tempted to give up a lot for my chosen partner but life sustaining medication, never. It's going to be an ongoing expense throughout the marriage so he may as well get used to the idea.:rolleyes:

I worked for years in bridal including during covid.
What I saw pre covid was alot of people going into debt for their wedding.

It wasn't unusual for me to sell 2 or 3 wedding dresses to the one bride.

The average cost for a wedding was between $50,000 and $80,000.

After covid alot of people woke up and started having smaller weddings

One of my daughters is marrying next year, her wedding venue is costing $220 per head in the Hunter Valley NSW

• Wow
I worked for years in bridal including during covid.
What I saw pre covid was alot of people going into debt for their wedding.

It wasn't unusual for me to sell 2 or 3 wedding dresses to the one bride.

The average cost for a wedding was between $50,000 and $80,000.

After covid alot of people woke up and started having smaller weddings

One of my daughters is marrying next year, her wedding venue is costing $220 per head in the Hunter Valley NSW
Rather have a smaller wedding & enjoy getting our house faster, than wasting money on a large expendive wedding that is forgotten by most guests days after.
If a good marriage is based upon honesty and openness then I'm afraid this one is doomed to fail. Do these people not talk to one another? I might be tempted to give up a lot for my chosen partner but life sustaining medication, never. It's going to be an ongoing expense throughout the marriage so he may as well get used to the idea.:rolleyes:

This seems more about the wedding than the people in it!!
Marriage is not a show of pomposity but a union of two people in love.
How sad that the poor girl has to sacrifice her health to please her selfish fiancé with the perfect wedding. Shallow man!!! 😡😡

View attachment 4846

Lupis is not an excuse for not having a job. I know several people who suffer from this to different degrees and they all lead active productive lives in the workforce.

Turmeric is a very good anti-inflammatory, which can be found at your local supermarket in the spice aisle.
If the bride isn't taking any medications she could take 1/2 teaspoonful of turmeric, with black pepper to increase bioavailability, twice a day.
Good for natural medication, but sometimes more expensive than what she has stopped taking.

You obviously don’t suffer from an autoimmune disease!!!! 😡😡😡

It is only speculation that the boyfriend knows she is doing this. He may not even know that she is not taking her medication and may well be very unhappy with her doing this if he does know.

View attachment 4846

She could save herself a lot of expense, agony and future disappointment by ditching the fiancé and his family. If he’s okay with what she’s doing, he’s not worth the effort.