Bride’s ‘out-of-the-box’ wedding favour sparks controversy: ‘You can’t be serious’

Weddings are a time of joy, celebration, and often, a showcase of the couple's personality and style.

But what happens when an attempt to be unique and budget-conscious goes awry?

This is the tale of a bride who, in her quest to save money, chose a wedding favour that left social media perplexed and sparked a heated debate online.

The bride, aiming to keep her wedding expenses in check, floated the idea of gifting her guests supermarket canned food as wedding favours.

She took to social media to gauge opinions on her unconventional favour choice, stating, 'For wedding favours, has anyone done canned food like mac and cheese?’

Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 1.15.26 PM.png
A bride asked if canned food would be an ideal wedding favour. Credit: Facebook

‘I know it's not super healthy–but I'm going for something fun and out of the box.'

Her rationale was clear: canned foods are cheaper than traditional wedding favours, with a significant price difference ($0.58 vs $3.40).

She even added a practical twist to her idea, 'Plus, if people don't take them, I have a stock!'

The bride's post was met with a barrage of criticism, with some warning that she might be 'shunned' for such miserly thank-you gifts.

Some said they would not take home such a ‘shabby’ present.

‘This is so gross,' one wrote. 'You can't be serious.'

'A bow slapped on a can of spaghetti or baby potatoes would have me cackling,' a woman said.

‘Why does it need to be canned? Like beans? Corn? I'd think it was tacky. It's better than the shot glasses and monograms, but I think those are tacky, too. Best favour? Chocolate,’ another added.

Some also offered alternative suggestions for budget-friendly wedding favours that wouldn't break the bank.

‘You could have a card at every table that said, “We appreciate your presence at our wedding. We know everybody is trying to declutter so, in lieu of favours, food has been donated in your name,”’ one suggested.

Another reminisced, ‘My favourite wedding favour was a “sleeve” of soup. The dehydrated ingredients to make a pot of soup, with the instructions, it was awesome, but it also looked nice and came from a local vendor.’

‘If you want something cheap that people might actually like, make popcorn and put it in an iridescent bag. I'd be psyched if I saw a cute bag of buttered, caramel, or cheddar popcorn on my table,’ a third said.

However, not everyone was against the bride's wedding favour idea.

‘I'd probably be okay with leaving with a box of mac and cheese over a monogrammed something I'll never use again,' a man said.

'In this day and age with inflation and jobs not paying a liveable wage–yeah, I'd be cool with this,' another added.

Here’s another wedding story that would make you raise your eyebrows.

In a previous story, a heated debate sparked when a bride decided to charge her guests to attend her wedding.

A bride's friend shared her disbelief, calling her ‘cheap’ and was ‘not surprised’ by this situation. You can read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways

• A bride has been criticised online for proposing to give out canned pasta as wedding favours to save costs.
  • Commenters found the suggestion tacky, with many offering alternative budget-friendly options.
  • Some social media users said they wouldn't even take home such a cheap thank-you gift, calling it gross and shabby.
  • Despite the backlash, a few people supported the budget-conscious approach in light of financial pressures like inflation.
What are your thoughts about this wedding favour, members? What wedding favours have you received? Share your thoughts and stories with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Many people today have their receptions at restaurants in which the guests buy their own meals. I didn't do favours for my guests and mostly, it's not expected. I did write thank you letters and mailed them and we had an open, but tab restricted bar.
Weddings too often become stressful trying to please everyone and too expensive. The precious sentiment of the occasions are lost and they are then memorable for the wrong reasons.

Whatever happened to writing a good old fashioned thank you card for your gift! Don't understand why bride & groom need to give a gift to guests?? Can someone please explain this to me.......
I think it's a trend from overseas.

Reactions: Gsr
I’ve only received thank you gifts when I’ve attended a few Italian wedding/christening etc. When did it become something that is expected at all weddings? Isn’t that why you pay for food and drinks for guests at your wedding, as a thanks for attending and a posted thank you card for your present.
Maybe I’m just getting old.

I’ve only received thank you gifts when I’ve attended a few Italian wedding/christening etc. When did it become something that is expected at all weddings? Isn’t that why you pay for food and drinks for guests at your wedding, as a thanks for attending and a posted thank you card for your present.
Maybe I’m just getting old.
You’re not getting old @Inot54. 😀

I know its traditional but do we really need a wedding favour? Weddings are over the top expensive in the first place. I don't need a wedding favour just a wonderful time celebrating the beautiful couples wedding.

As I have never eaten Mac & cheese I would be very sad to receive tinned food as a thank-you.I would rather have nothing as I never eat tinned food either except tinned salom.People expect too much these days. Not like when I got married the first time we had a cheap wedding as we had not much money at the time.

I wanna know where she got the Mac & cheese!, I used to have this when I was a kid and loved it! Haven’t been able to get it for years - I thought they’d stopped making it. Ah, the memories! I can still taste it now...

Reactions: Gsr and Littleboy8
I wanna know where she got the Mac & cheese!, I used to have this when I was a kid and loved it! Haven’t been able to get it for years - I thought they’d stopped making it. Ah, the memories! I can still taste it now...
😋😋yummy

Reactions: Gsr
I think the bride and groom expected to give each guest a 'favour gift.,' possibly another US idea like the baby's sex-revealed party, shouldn't be necessary at all. The tinned meal sounds like fun all the same as long as all the guests had a laugh, not everyone would sadly for them.
But I am of a different generation where the bride's parents paid for the bride, of course, the bride and groom helped or paid more recently, as the costs elevate to absurd rates. One could have a deposit for a house or land.
But I like the popcorn idea, it is the gesture, not some useless monogrammed wine glass with the wedding details of the married couple's day, and can be homemade, coloured and prettily wrapped or not!
I got those useless glasses and smashed them against a brick wall after five years of separation it’s supposed to be what you do. Apparantely to break the connection between you both.😊worked a treat for me🤣