Brave shopper stops attack on Woolworths worker - Watch the shocking footage

Violence is something we never hope to be a part of or witness in our lives.

However, it’s something that can occur in any setting, and even places like grocery stores are sometimes unfortunate enough to become the location of such incidents.

The waves of violence that have infiltrated workplaces, especially retail, have escalated, with a 19-year-old Woolworths worker, left with an injury to her face after a customer viciously attacked her in a self-serve checkout line on Friday night.

The attack took place at the Clifford Gardens Woolworths located in Toowoomba, west of Brisbane, on Friday at 7 pm.

Reports claim that the suspect, started causing trouble and throwing alcoholic beverages around before picking a fight with the young worker.

The young worker tried to get the suspect to leave by showing him the exit, as captured by the store’s CCTV.

But the suspect returned to the self-service checkout area and launched an assault on the Woolies employee.

The young worker was injured and a fellow customer who was standing by came to her aid immediately.

The alleged attacker then took off and the young woman was taken to the back of the store so she could be given first aid, before being taken to a nearby hospital.

The incident was reported to the Queensland Police, who have the authority to issue restriction notices to specific customers, prohibiting them from accessing the premises of the establishment.

Woolworths.png

A Woolworths employee was left with a facial injury after getting hit in the face twice by a raging customer. Credit: Shutterstock.

Social media users were outraged by the footage, condemning the customer’s violent act.

One user said: ‘What a sad world we live in when a shop assistant cannot go to work without getting abused.’

'How pathetic is that,' another wrote.

A third chimed in: ‘How disgusting when people can't even do their jobs without being attacked.’

Some individuals immediately applauded the other customer's heroic intervention.

'Can I just say.. good on the customer stepping in and helping,' one person praised.

Another said: ‘The bloke that stepped in was a champ.’

Meanwhile, Woolworths said that the company does not tolerate brutality in any way and that they take the safety of their workers very seriously.

‘There is no place for this kind of abusive behaviour anywhere in our community,’ a spokesperson said.

'Our team members do the very best they can to help customers, and deserve to be treated with respect on the job.’

'We don’t tolerate abuse in any circumstance and have taken steps to ban the customer from returning to the store.'

It should also be noted that Woolies is trialling the use of body cameras to capture security risks such as this incident for use as evidence in court.

Key Takeaways

• A teenage Woolworths worker has been attacked after trying to direct a customer to leave the supermarket.
  • CCTV from inside the supermarket showed the 19-year-old Woolies worker being hit across the face by the customer.
  • Woolworths condemned the attack on the young worker and has taken steps to ban the customer from returning to the store.
  • Social media users criticised the customer and praised the actions of a fellow customer who stepped in to help the worker.

Members, we’re sure you’ll agree that this kind of behaviour is simply unacceptable and that the teenage Woolworths worker did not deserve to have her safety threatened merely for doing her job. No one should ever have to put up with being treated in this way.

We take our hats off to the brave shopper who stepped in and hope that the teenage worker is doing ok.

If you ever find yourself in a similar situation, here are a few tips on what to do:

How to keep yourself safe during violent attacks in public.jpg
Tips on how to keep yourself safe during violent acts in public. Credit: Seniors Discount Club.

Have you ever encountered anything similar in public? Share your stories with us in the comments below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
After watching "Karen" videos in America sadly violence is becoming the "norm" and people are afraid to step in and assist because you never know if they are on drugs, are drunk, or are naturally obnoxious. Good on that good Samaritan who came to her aid. Woolworths should reward him.

After watching "Karen" videos in America sadly violence is becoming the "norm" and people are afraid to step in and assist because you never know if they are on drugs, are drunk, or are naturally obnoxious. Good on that good Samaritan who came to her aid. Woolworths should reward him.
He was quick too thankfully or it may have ended up worse!

This is exactly why these self service checks outs should have mature people or security personnel on site.
Mature or security people should now be on the exit door in Kmart. Don’t be cheap by employing young people checking receipts on exiting otherwise this type of conduct will be happening there as well.
All you big companies do is care about your profits, you don’t care about abuse of staff, you pretend to but the bottom line is that the “care” is all huff and puff.
Get your acts together.
This also should include the petrol stations where staff abuse is a daily occurrence. Also robberies are happening too often at petrol stations. They are an easy target because after a certain time each day there is only one person working on their own.

However, it’s something that can occur in any setting, and even places like grocery stores are sometimes unfortunate enough to become the location of such incidents.

The waves of violence that have infiltrated workplaces, especially retail, have escalated, with a 19-year-old Woolworths worker, left with an injury to her face after a customer viciously attacked her in a self-serve checkout line on Friday night.

The attack took place at the Clifford Gardens Woolworths located in Toowoomba, west of Brisbane, on Friday at 7 pm.

Reports claim that the suspect, started causing trouble and throwing alcoholic beverages around before picking a fight with the young worker.

The young worker tried to get the suspect to leave by showing him the exit, as captured by the store’s CCTV.

But the suspect returned to the self-service checkout area and launched an assault on the Woolies employee.

The young worker was injured and a fellow customer who was standing by came to her aid immediately.

The alleged attacker then took off and the young woman was taken to the back of the store so she could be given first aid, before being taken to a nearby hospital.

The incident was reported to the Queensland Police, who have the authority to issue restriction notices to specific customers, prohibiting them from accessing the premises of the establishment.

Woolworths.png

A Woolworths employee was left with a facial injury after getting hit in the face twice by a raging customer. Credit: Shutterstock.

Social media users were outraged by the footage, condemning the customer’s violent act.

One user said: ‘What a sad world we live in when a shop assistant cannot go to work without getting abused.’

A third chimed in: ‘How disgusting when people can't even do their jobs without being attacked.’

Some individuals immediately applauded the other customer's heroic intervention.

'Can I just say.. good on the customer stepping in and helping,' one person praised.

Meanwhile, Woolworths said that the company does not tolerate brutality in any way and that they take the safety of their workers very seriously.

‘There is no place for this kind of abusive behaviour anywhere in our community,’ a spokesperson said.

'Our team members do the very best they can to help customers, and deserve to be treated with respect on the job.’

'We don’t tolerate abuse in any circumstance and have taken steps to ban the customer from returning to the store.'

It should also be noted that Woolies is trialling the use of body cameras to capture security risks such as this incident for use as evidence in court.

Key Takeaways

• A teenage Woolworths worker has been attacked after trying to direct a customer to leave the supermarket.
  • CCTV from inside the supermarket showed the 19-year-old Woolies worker being hit across the face by the customer.
  • Woolworths condemned the attack on the young worker and has taken steps to ban the customer from returning to the store.
  • Social media users criticised the customer and praised the actions of a fellow customer who stepped in to help the worker.

Members, we’re sure you’ll agree that this kind of behaviour is simply unacceptable and that the teenage Woolworths worker did not deserve to have her safety threatened merely for doing her job. No one should ever have to put up with being treated in this way.

We take our hats off to the brave shopper who stepped in and hope that the teenage worker is doing ok.

If you ever find yourself in a similar situation, here are a few tips on what to do:

View attachment 14101
Tips on how to keep yourself safe during violent acts in public. Credit: Seniors Discount Club.

Have you ever encountered anything similar in public? Share your stories with us in the comments below!

Someone should have followed that"animal" to the parking lot to get his REGO, he belongs in jail.

It's sad isn't it... Did you know that Physical bullying is only possible because pressure being exerted by one person is being felt by the other?” The weight of both parties needs to oppose in order for any sense of pressure to be there. There are many martial arts techniques that demonstrate that to avoid or evade an opponent’s force, is an advantageous strategy to employ to avoid impacts.

After all, avoiding impacts is how most creatures live their lives.

What I’ve done as an analytical minded physically restricted ex traditional Martial Arts trainer, with a heart area condition, is I spent a large number of years looking at how people relate their body shape to other people and how we as a species all relate our bodies to what is around us. Over the years as a traveler, I have been sharing with and teaching people martial arts principles and how they relate to life, via my own “alternative” highly entertaining, training games.

The first time I presented a way to govt to address the issue of bullying and domestic violence, was back in 2015, the last time was last week. Ladies and Gentlemen, the truth is, if a person had a mechanical issue with their car, they naturally would consult a mechanic about it, wouldn't they.

However, I have never and never is a big word, ever, (that's a big word too) ever seen a Martial artist ever included on a panel of enquiry that looks to resolve the issue of bullying, let alone one that has written about the issue consistently since 1973 when it first arose as a concern in Australia.

I most definitely, absolutely, can supply all manner of reference and I can show by all manner of example even by drawing it on as white board, how to resolve this issue in a relatively short amount of time in such a way as it will also generate Jobs. However, talking to government about it even with 53 years of experience to back me up, is quite literally like talking to a brick wall.

It has cost our country BILLIONS over the years. The think tanks in their office blocks, just can't seem to come up with the answer. All resource is directed at alleviating the symptoms and no attention whatsoever is being paid to what causes bullying and violence in the first place.

It is frustrating with of these years of disinterest in how to quite easily resolve a societal issue that really is not going away. However, I shall like many others with time tested answers to ongoing problems in our country, keep standing holding a fire hose and waving, watching the house burn, until someone finally listens and turns the tap on. Its (sigh) all any of us with answers can do.

What a sad world we live in. Trialing body cameras in supermarkets! We live in a fractured and disconnected society where empathy and care for others is not the normal anymore.

This has happened at the place I worked. Not to me but to some of my team mates. It is highly distressing and not necessary. Banning from the store is way too hard to police and unless the same manager works tirelessly to monitor them, they find ways to reenter at different times. It is such a selfish world at the moment. I'm glad the young worker was not badly hurt, but she will not want to be in self serve again, I'm sure.

Totally unacceptable behaviour. Great that another customer came to her defence, too often people are scared to step in for fear of being sued for touching the perpetrater. Time to get back to the victims and anyone who steps up to help the victims having the rights and the criminals having no rights of comeback on anyone. They are the cause and blame for any injuries they receive by their actions and the sooner the police and judges start to implement this and throw out any claims they try to pursue the better. Victims and anyone who assists them should be applauded and not have to be fearful of being sued for fighting back. If all the rights are returned to the victims and anyone who assists them more people would be willing to step in and help people, and the perpetrators might think twice about committing offences.

Reactions: MindyMac and Macarj
I'm a "little" (6 foot 5 inch 196 cm) and "quietly" spoken like a mouse; but if I need to speak up, (not yell), I can be clearly heard over 2,500 metres away. I was managing spectators at a viewing point of a car rally, without a PA system. It helps. Unless there is a weapon involved, I will intervene. Number of times can be counted on less that one hand!

This scumbag should be jailed. Banning him from the store doesn't help. They just go somewhere else !!!!

People should always step in to help when help is needed. The USA is lost and a case of the most uneducated people in the entire 'so-called advanced' world. Americans are now near the bottom of the world education ladder and that's an actual fact.

So glade that gentleman immediately stepped up and came to her rescue. I hope Woollies gives him a nice shopping voucher. Looks like the young lady will be OK from this and thankfully not badly hurt. But certainly she may be too scared to work at the checkout for a while. Better for her to try and get back to the tills and not let this sc*m-bag cause her to not be able to work at the checkout again. The police will find him. They will have many images of him already from when walking into the store, walking in the shopping centre. Parking a car & rego.

Totally unacceptable behaviour. Great that another customer came to her defence, too often people are scared to step in for fear of being sued for touching the perpetrater. Time to get back to the victims and anyone who steps up to help the victims having the rights and the criminals having no rights of comeback on anyone. They are the cause and blame for any injuries they receive by their actions and the sooner the police and judges start to implement this and throw out any claims they try to pursue the better. Victims and anyone who assists them should be applauded and not have to be fearful of being sued for fighting back. If all the rights are returned to the victims and anyone who assists them more people would be willing to step in and help people, and the perpetrators might think twice about committing offences.
Best thing when you help get scum-bags is to wait to others have that scum detained and leave. Never hang around. Do not shop and leave your groceries in the trolley and if you scan your rewards card and/or pay by a card, eftpos .. the police can track you down. Just leave. Many many decades ago now before businesses had surveillance cameras (just days before xmas), my brother saw an elderly lady leave the bank and then a scumbag race behind her, knock her badly to the ground, grab her bag and take off. My brother is extremely fit, even to this day and could still outrun this scumbag. My brother had to cross a busy road and race down the street. Other people followed my brother even though they were feet away from this incident, my brother passed them within about 5 seconds. My brother threw the scumbag to the ground and others caught up. Many pinned the scum to the ground whilst the police were called. Back then it was a landline call. The bank did that. But others that helped told my brother to leave because they knew that the scumbag could have charges laid against the person that caught them. I also know of a husband that arrived home with his son and saw two thieves inside their house. Luckily the wife and baby child were in another car behind them. The second thief was the adult thief's young son 'In Burglary Training.' The husband started hitting the adult burglar and I believe neighbours came in helping. Police arrived and yes the burglar went to jail but the husband faced criminal charges and was $Fined for hitting the burglar. The burglar was also allowed to $sue him and the burglar got a huge settlement. It proves that $Crime Does $$$Pay. Sure the burglar went to jail for about 3 years but came out with about $40,000 settlement and that was the early 1980's.

Best thing when you help get scum-bags is to wait to others have that scum detained and leave. Never hang around. Do not shop and leave your groceries in the trolley and if you scan your rewards card and/or pay by a card, eftpos .. the police can track you down. Just leave. Many many decades ago now before businesses had surveillance cameras (just days before xmas), my brother saw an elderly lady leave the bank and then a scumbag race behind her, knock her badly to the ground, grab her bag and take off. My brother is extremely fit, even to this day and could still outrun this scumbag. My brother had to cross a busy road and race down the street. Other people followed my brother even though they were feet away from this incident, my brother passed them within about 5 seconds. My brother threw the scumbag to the ground and others caught up. Many pinned the scum to the ground whilst the police were called. Back then it was a landline call. The bank did that. But others that helped told my brother to leave because they knew that the scumbag could have charges laid against the person that caught them. I also know of a husband that arrived home with his son and saw two thieves inside their house. Luckily the wife and baby child were in another car behind them. The second thief was the adult thief's young son 'In Burglary Training.' The husband started hitting the adult burglar and I believe neighbours came in helping. Police arrived and yes the burglar went to jail but the husband faced criminal charges and was $Fined for hitting the burglar. The burglar was also allowed to $sue him and the burglar got a huge settlement. It proves that $Crime Does $$$Pay. Sure the burglar went to jail for about 3 years but came out with about $40,000 settlement and that was the early 1980's.

Woolworths.png

Key Takeaways

View attachment 14101

I may be getting on in years but I want a piece of the gutless coward and give double no triple the dose of what he gave that young worker, And kudos to that customer who stepped in to help.