Boxing icon battles mystery infection: 'I’m as sick as a dog'

Australian boxing royalty, Jeff Fenech, has found himself in a fight outside the ring that's proving to be one of his toughest yet.

The four-weight world champion, known for his indomitable spirit and fierce punches, is currently hospitalised, grappling with a mysterious infection that has left even his doctors puzzled.

For almost two weeks, Fenech has been battling a high fever, with temperatures soaring to nearly 40°C.

This alarming symptom prompted an urgent rush to the hospital, where a series of tests were conducted to uncover the root cause of his illness.

The focus is on his heart and its valves, which are areas of concern given Fenech's medical history.

Screenshot 2024-03-14 at 7.38.29 AM.png
Jeff Fenech has been battling a high fever for almost two weeks. Image source: Instagram/@jacobclenshaw and @jefffenech_wbc.

In 2019, the boxing legend underwent critical heart surgery, where an infected heart valve was replaced. This was after a harrowing episode where he coughed up blood, signalling a life-threatening condition.

Now, with a severely swollen wrist raising alarm bells, doctors suspect a possible link to his heart condition.

'I feel sh**house. I'm as sick as a dog. I have a mystery infection. I'm sick of it,' Fenech said.

'They think it has something to do with my heart and valves. They have done heaps of tests. I don’t yet know what the results are.'

'I came to [the] hospital during the day on Tuesday. I have had a high temperature for more than 12 days now. It was 39.8.'

The concern for Fenech is not just about the current symptoms but also the potential need for another surgery.

'I hope I don't need surgery, but I don't know. I hope not, I hope not.'

'I also have a really bad infection in my wrist, and they think it could be heart-related. If you see my wrist, you’d die. It’s massive, red, inflamed, swollen and sore.'

'It could be an infection coming from the valves which has spread through my body. They don’t know yet.'

'Of course, I’m worried, of course I am. I don’t want another operation. F**k that.'

This health scare has come at a time when Fenech was already scheduled for a hernia operation, which has now been overshadowed by the current crisis.

Those close to the boxing great are understandably worried, as the situation seems to be a complex one.

Fenech's legacy in the ring is undisputed. In November 2022, he was retrospectively crowned a four-weight world champion when the WBC overturned his 1991 draw against Ghana's Azumah Nelson.

The fight, which ended in a split draw, had long been a point of contention, with Fenech and many fans believing he had been unfairly denied victory.

'It was total bu****ap—I've been robbed,' Fenech had said at the time.

'The whole world knows I won.'

He then went on to fight Nelson again in 1992 but was knocked out in the eighth round.
Key Takeaways
  • Australian boxing legend Jeff Fenech was hospitalised due to a mystery infection after experiencing a high temperature for 12 days.
  • Doctors are concerned the infection could be related to heart valve problems, having had heart surgery in 2019.
  • Fenech's condition is causing concern among those close to him, and he was supposed to undergo a hernia operation last week, which has now been overshadowed by his current health issues.
  • Jeff Fenech was declared a four-weight world champion in November 2022 after the WBC overturned his 1991 draw against Azumah Nelson, a fight many believed Fenech had won convincingly.
We wish Jeff Fenech a swift and full recovery.

What are your thoughts on this story? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
I wish Jeff Fenech well and hope he gets back to good health.
Health issues like this are always a big challenge.
However, is it possible to stop referring to sportspeople as Royalty.
He was good at boxing but certainly is not Royalty.

Reactions: Tamaya