Body odour is one of the most common complaints during the warmer months – here's how to prevent it!

During summer (and sometimes spring), temperatures can get so high that even the mildest stroll from the car to the store leaves us struggling and wishing we'd parked in the shade.

But don't forget that during these scorching months, there is another annoyance we have to face: the body odour that clings to our clothes and follows us wherever we go.

Any person can experience the embarrassment of unpleasant body odour. But the problem is worse during the summer when the hot and humid weather makes us sweat much more than we usually do.

Contrary to popular belief, sweating does not by itself generate body odour because human sweat is odourless, claims board-certified dermatologist Ranella Hirsch, MD.

The body releases an unpleasant odour when the bacteria on the skin degrade the protein molecules in sweat. Other causes of body odour include poor personal hygiene, a bad diet, and in rare instances, particular medical disorders.

51ZAEqkQbtDYxIAPOMKlAjuwhyngXkmL-uC2e-1rQmK_cF_JD0iGKMff8W-M9XEXdsB_pRspQlOnsJq0q7EZtMoJSLVNizw3g_1srK5c4oyYLUwK_1PUyl5QNLWUUaUNYARqE7WTXp1ntoXBYtIK9Efm4dm7MM42yGq6_2SuECGR_tV_jlJcunK66A

The sweaty odour can be avoided if the underarms are regularly cleaned with antibacterial soap. Credit: Getty Images. (Stock photo)

Thankfully for us, a body care enthusiast is here to recommend a quick-fix method that allows us to banish body odour in no time.

Mary, who goes by the handle 'Madame Sweat' on social media, revealed that the secret to smelling clean and fresh is all in how armpits are washed, advising Aussies to do the trick exactly to get rid of the funk for good this summer.

She said the stench could be brought about by the 'mixture of sweat and bacteria on the skin', explaining that by getting rid of the bacteria, we can fight the nasty smell.

According to her, using an antibacterial soap with apple cider vinegar, salt, and charcoal, rubbing the armpits for 30 seconds, and rinsing it with clean water can eliminate odour.

'This helps remove sweat and dead skin cells that get trapped under the arms, which are necessary to produce body odour,' Mary added.

Improper body cleaning, particularly around the underarm area, could lead to lingering bacteria, which in turn causes smelly sweat even after you've convinced yourself you've lathered up enough.

It should be noted that deodorant residue, as well as hair, may also contribute to the stench, which is why getting those suds going for at least thirty seconds is necessary.

If you want to prevent body odour from occurring, here are other helpful tips to keep in mind!
  • Use an effective antiperspirant.
Use a strong antiperspirant after you take a shower. It will help you reduce the strength of body odour by stopping the growth and activity of bacteria that cause it. Alternatively, invest in a good natural deodorant but be prepared for the weaning-off period.
  • Change clothes regularly.
If you sweat a lot, you should change your clothes more often. Putting on clean clothes can help keep body odour away. And even though there's no rule that says you have to wash your clothes after every use, those who sweat a lot may benefit from doing so.
  • The fabric of your clothes can affect how you smell.
Studies show that synthetic fabrics like polyester and spandex can make bacteria on the skin grow more quickly. The natural fibres of cotton, linen, and wool, on the other hand, allow sweat to evaporate more quickly, which may prevent the growth of bacteria.

So, did you learn anything new, folks? How do you keep unpleasant body odour at bay? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Of course if you don't shower every day and wash your armpits with soap you will smell.

Who doesn't change their clothes every day well at least tops.

I think for most people all you need to do is shower every day and change tops every day.

Doesn't hurt to use deodorant daily and if your worried that their are toxins then look up natural deodorant.

Of course if you don't shower every day and wash your armpits with soap you will smell.

Who doesn't change their clothes every day well at least tops.

I think for most people all you need to do is shower every day and change tops every day.

Doesn't hurt to use deodorant daily and if your worried that their are toxins then look up natural deodorant.
I'm a 64yr old Male & I shower morning & night. I use natural tea tree oil roll on & a body spray as well. 👍🤠🇦🇺

During summer (and sometimes spring), temperatures can get so high that even the mildest stroll from the car to the store leaves us struggling and wishing we'd parked in the shade.

But don't forget that during these scorching months, there is another annoyance we have to face: the body odour that clings to our clothes and follows us wherever we go.

Any person can experience the embarrassment of unpleasant body odour. But the problem is worse during the summer when the hot and humid weather makes us sweat much more than we usually do.

Contrary to popular belief, sweating does not by itself generate body odour because human sweat is odourless, claims board-certified dermatologist Ranella Hirsch, MD.

The body releases an unpleasant odour when the bacteria on the skin degrade the protein molecules in sweat. Other causes of body odour include poor personal hygiene, a bad diet, and in rare instances, particular medical disorders.

51ZAEqkQbtDYxIAPOMKlAjuwhyngXkmL-uC2e-1rQmK_cF_JD0iGKMff8W-M9XEXdsB_pRspQlOnsJq0q7EZtMoJSLVNizw3g_1srK5c4oyYLUwK_1PUyl5QNLWUUaUNYARqE7WTXp1ntoXBYtIK9Efm4dm7MM42yGq6_2SuECGR_tV_jlJcunK66A

The sweaty odour can be avoided if the underarms are regularly cleaned with antibacterial soap. Credit: Getty Images. (Stock photo)

Thankfully for us, a body care enthusiast is here to recommend a quick-fix method that allows us to banish body odour in no time.

Mary, who goes by the handle 'Madame Sweat' on social media, revealed that the secret to smelling clean and fresh is all in how armpits are washed, advising Aussies to do the trick exactly to get rid of the funk for good this summer.

She said the stench could be brought about by the 'mixture of sweat and bacteria on the skin', explaining that by getting rid of the bacteria, we can fight the nasty smell.

According to her, using an antibacterial soap with apple cider vinegar, salt, and charcoal, rubbing the armpits for 30 seconds, and rinsing it with clean water can eliminate odour.

'This helps remove sweat and dead skin cells that get trapped under the arms, which are necessary to produce body odour,' Mary added.

Improper body cleaning, particularly around the underarm area, could lead to lingering bacteria, which in turn causes smelly sweat even after you've convinced yourself you've lathered up enough.

It should be noted that deodorant residue, as well as hair, may also contribute to the stench, which is why getting those suds going for at least thirty seconds is necessary.

If you want to prevent body odour from occurring, here are other helpful tips to keep in mind!
  • Use an effective antiperspirant.
Use a strong antiperspirant after you take a shower. It will help you reduce the strength of body odour by stopping the growth and activity of bacteria that cause it. Alternatively, invest in a good natural deodorant but be prepared for the weaning-off period.
  • Change clothes regularly.
If you sweat a lot, you should change your clothes more often. Putting on clean clothes can help keep body odour away. And even though there's no rule that says you have to wash your clothes after every use, those who sweat a lot may benefit from doing so.
  • The fabric of your clothes can affect how you smell.
Studies show that synthetic fabrics like polyester and spandex can make bacteria on the skin grow more quickly. The natural fibres of cotton, linen, and wool, on the other hand, allow sweat to evaporate more quickly, which may prevent the growth of bacteria.

So, did you learn anything new, folks? How do you keep unpleasant body odour at bay? Let us know in the comments below!

Yes most things Mary states here is true. I find using a mineral salt based deodorant works well and she didn't mention Bamboo in what is best to wear to help prevent odour. If you shower every day or even every second day, you can wear bamboo socks and long or short sleeve tops for 2 to 3 days with no odour.

I must be very lucky as a young teenager I had very smelly feet by 20 never had it again and I never get body odour but I am very particular about hygiene the minute I finish mowing or building in my shed I shower straight away

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci