Blueberry & Yoghurt Loaf

This recipe is from Donna Hay, so she gets the credit. It's an easy one to make, and I bake one when I have friends over for morning tea, as everyone likes it.

150 gr unsalted butter, melted
1 cup caster sugar * (I use 1/2 cup)
2 eggs
1/2 cup (140 gr) thick Greek yoghurt
1 tablespoon fine grated lemon zest
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups S/R flour
125 gr blueberries
Icing sugar for dusting

Place butter, sugar, eggs, yoghurt, lemon zest and vanilla in a bowl and whisk to combine. Fold through the flour, then fold through the blueberries.
Spoon into a lined loaf tin. Smooth the top.
Bake in 160 FF oven for 1hr - 1hr 10 minutes. Cool in tin for 10 minutes, then dust with icing sugar. (I use a tea leaf infuser/strainer for dusting the icing sugar)

* I use frozen blueberries when fresh are expensive, and not in season. I defrost them overnight.

1689664237130.jpeg 1689664272776.jpeg 1689664306354.jpeg

Sponsored
If you are using frozen blueberries are you using them while frozen , that's the best way. If you are using them defrosted you need to use paper towel to get the moisture out. As for fresh and the frozen are you folding them through well ?

This is such an easy recipe I think alot of people will appreciate it I know I do.

I was so happy I finally conquered a dairy free cake yesterday that stood up and was so yummy

It was my Granddaughters 2nd birthday and turned out perfect.

What I'm saying is it took me awhile to to get this cake right I'm sure you will work out why the blueberries are sinking to the bottom .

I will try to make it this week and let you know if it happened to me.

If you are using frozen blueberries are you using them while frozen , that's the best way. If you are using them defrosted you need to use paper towel to get the moisture out. As for fresh and the frozen are you folding them through well ?

This is such an easy recipe I think alot of people will appreciate it I know I do.

I was so happy I finally conquered a dairy free cake yesterday that stood up and was so yummy

It was my Granddaughters 2nd birthday and turned out perfect.

What I'm saying is it took me awhile to to get this cake right I'm sure you will work out why the blueberries are sinking to the bottom .

I will try to make it this week and let you know if it happened to me.
Happy Birthday to your little granddaughter and pleased that dairy free cake turned out well!
In the photo I used unfrosted frozen blueberries, and dried them with paper towels. In the past, I have used frozen as well. In saying that, you are welcome to do whatever you want. ;) I never buy cakes, as I'm lactose intolerant and bought ready made cakes have ingredients that I don't agree with.

Happy Birthday to your little granddaughter and pleased that dairy free cake turned out well!
In the photo I used unfrosted frozen blueberries, and dried them with paper towels. In the past, I have used frozen as well. In saying that, you are welcome to do whatever you want. ;) I never buy cakes, as I'm lactose intolerant and bought ready made cakes have ingredients that I don't agree with.
My 23 month old grandson was also here who also has dairy allergies and it was wonderful seeing them enjoy something they never can. His 3 year old brother also has dairy allergies, yet their sister has no allergies.

I've been trying to get it right for so long and it's my recipe !

Reactions: Penny4
My 23 month old grandson was also here who also has dairy allergies and it was wonderful seeing them enjoy something they never can. His 3 year old brother also has dairy allergies, yet their sister has no allergies.

I've been trying to get it right for so long and it's my recipe !
How did you conquer the dairy allergies with your grandchildren, Suzanne rose? I notice there is Greek Yoghurt and butter in the recipe - don't they both have dairy? Just asking - what did you substitute with?

Reactions: Tawnyrose
Dairy free plant based yogurt is available in supermarkets and also you can use Nutelex Pulse dairy free instead of butter.Hope that helps all the dairy allergy people.

How did you conquer the dairy allergies with your grandchildren, Suzanne rose? I notice there is Greek Yoghurt and butter in the recipe - don't they both have dairy? Just asking - what did you substitute with?
This isn't my recipe or post it's Penny4 post.

I will put the dairy free cake recipe up tonight with picture. I used nutalex butter and no eggs . I also have conquered dairy free cookies

For my lactose free intolerance, I use lactose free Greek yoghurt. Plus, 100% butter is lactose free. Of course, this is different to a dairy allergy.

Penny the other thing to try is mix half the blueberries in 1/2 the cake batter, and pour in the tin , then pour remaining batter in the just place the remaining blueberries on top of batter

I make raspberry and coconut muffins that are very easy too. By the way, I keep my recipes with a photo on a Word document on my PC.

View attachment 25746
Those muffins look amazing, can you please add this recipe 😋
I keep all my recipes in a file on my tablet only so it's easier adding to my recipe book that I'm making for each of my girls . Very time consuming

Those muffins look amazing, can you please add this recipe 😋
I keep all my recipes in a file on my tablet only so it's easier adding to my recipe book that I'm making for each of my girls . Very time consuming
It's good to keep recipes, but I always add a snapshot so I remember.
I will add the recipe to a new post. I don't know where I got the recipe from though.

Thank you ladies and those that told me about the alternatives for dairy. I’m not dairy intolerant (in fact no intolerances to anything except a common pain killer - ASPIRIN) but just wondered about the alternatives here.

Thanks Suzanne. I've tried dusting the blueberries with flour, so they don't sink to the bottom, but it doesn't make a scrap of difference!
Yes it does. This is mine made today.
This recipe is from Donna Hay, so she gets the credit. It's an easy one to make, and I bake one when I have friends over for morning tea, as everyone likes it.

2 eggs
1 1/2 cups S/R flour
125 gr blueberries
Icing sugar for dusting

Place butter, sugar, eggs, yoghurt, lemon zest and vanilla in a bowl and whisk to combine. Fold through the flour, then fold through the blueberries.
Bake in 160 FF oven for 1hr - 1hr 10 minutes. Cool in tin for 10 minutes, then dust with icing sugar. (I use a tea leaf infuser/strainer for dusting the icing sugar)

* I use frozen blueberries when fresh are expensive, and not in season. I defrost them overnight.

View attachment 25416 View attachment 25417 View attachment 25418

Reactions: Penny4

2 eggs
1 1/2 cups S/R flour
125 gr blueberries
Icing sugar for dusting

View attachment 25416 View attachment 25417 View attachment 25418
This is the one I made today. The berries do nit sink to the bottom.