Biscuit bug-out: Coles ingredient leaves mum crumbling in disgust!

As the Easter season hops into full swing, many of us are on the lookout for those special treats that make the holiday extra sweet.

Supermarkets like Coles are stocked with a variety of festive goodies, from chocolate bunnies to hot cross buns.

However, one young mum's recent discovery has sparked a conversation about an ingredient that's left her feeling less than festive.

The mother, eager to please her children's sweet tooth, picked up the Coles Easter Hunt Cookies 15 Pack 150 g ($6.50).

It was a purchase made in good faith, with the expectation of delivering a bit of holiday joy to her family.

However, joy turned to dismay when she later examined the ingredient list at home, and stumbled upon a term that was foreign to her.

Screenshot 2024-03-12 070813.jpg
An ingredient in Coles’ home brand Easter biscuits upset an eagle-eyed mum. Credits: Coles

‘There's one word in the ingredients list that I've never heard of before, so I Googled it,’ the mum said.

After a quick search, the mum was appalled to learn that ‘cochineal’ is derived from the crushed, dried bodies of female scaled insects.

Her reaction was visceral and immediate: 'Seriously, I am disgusted,' she expressed online. 'Like I don't know why this has to be in these biscuits, but a cochineal [is] crushed, dried bodies of female scaled insects... are you kidding me?'

She labelled the ingredient as 'toxic', and vowed that neither she nor her children would consume the biscuits again.

‘They're going straight in the bin,’ she declared.

The mother also advised others to be cautious about the contents of the food they purchase, using this incident as a clear illustration of why it's essential for parents to always scrutinise the ingredient list before making purchases.

After sharing her personal revelation on social media, numerous Australians expressed confusion at her seeming surprise, with many commenting that they are familiar with cochineal, and its common use as a red dye in food products found on supermarket shelves.

‘Cochineal is used in so many products,’ one comment said.

‘You and your kids have been consuming cochineal your whole lives,’ another explained.

Food Standards Australia New Zealand (FSANZ) has approved the use of cochineal as a food dye, and it's found in a wide array of items, including flavoured milks, lollies, desserts, and more.

Many Australians might be surprised to learn that some of the nation's most beloved brands, such as Arnott's and Kirks soft drink manufacturer, incorporate cochineal in their products.

This means that treats like Tim Tams, Shapes, and even a can of Pasito contain this natural dye.

In 2022, confectionery giant and Nestlé subsidiary Allen's announced it would remove the ingredient from certain lollies to cater to vegan preferences.

Though insects are a part of people’s diets in other countries,, many Down Under would agree that insects and food do not usually go together.

On that note, this mum would be shocked to know about a proposal to address the problem of food insecurity.
Key Takeaways
  • A mum expressed her disgust after discovering cochineal, a dye made from crushed insects, in Coles home brand Easter biscuits.
  • The ingredient, which is approved by Food Standards Australia New Zealand, surprised the shopper who was unaware of its common use in food products.
  • The story highlighted the importance of checking ingredient lists, as emphasised by the mother, who decided to dispose of the biscuits.
  • Despite the initial shock, others noted that cochineal is a widely used ingredient in various food items, including some Australian favourite brands.
Are you familiar with cochineal and its purpose? Which other ingredients confused you when you saw them on the ingredient list? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
If she took Home Economics or science or art subjects in school, her disgust now as a 'young mum' attests to how much attention she paid in class.

Likely very little, taking up time in playing on her phone or engaged in 'vital' conversations with the other geniuses in the room.

Makes me wonder how much wisdom she has the ability to pass on to her children, the future is in safe hands. Or is it?

Cochineal has been around since BC times! We have been using it since those times without any issues whatsoever - ignorance today astounds me, it really does. It is harmless. Yes there are now veggie colour things available, but all in all, cochineal is now only really used occasionally. I despair of the lack of knowledge today that used to be passed on by our grandmas and mothers. What a lack.

OMG It seems everybody gets "horrified" by any little things these days..Always been well known where cochineal , food colouring comes from.. The young ones are so fragile of today ..

Reactions: Jarred Santos
When growing up, we always had cochineal in the kitchen pantry as long as I can remember.

I noticed that the woman did not have the usual accompanying TikTok video, nor reveal where she lives, which make me think that there is a chance she grew up being homeschooled in a hippie commune with her vegan parents. To make reference to an old quote - "As dumb as dog shit".

Well there you go, I’ve herd of this as I remember my mother using it like 55 plus years ago but never knew what it was made from only knew she used it in baking 😋 and as you might have guessed I don’t bake from scratch (jam drops, sultanas and cornflake cookies when my kids were little was the only things I did from scratch) still do 🥰

Cochineal is a product that we probably unknowingly have consumed for years...used as a food colouring in many confectioney products,bakery,sauces...the list goes on.Even our cosmetics can contain this same product..lipsticks,nailpolish etc...it is not banned in Australia.Half the time in commercial products we are amazed at the long list of ingredients.

Thought I would have a quick look through some old work papers in relation to Cochineal…and a few other colourings!!!
“Cochineal is neither carcinogenic or toxic”
Not sure what her problem is… wonder if her children eat anything yellow (tartrazine comes from petroleum products). Brilliant Blue is classified as a triarylmethane dye.
How about Green colouring has been linked to allergies, and in rare cases can cause mild to severe skin reactions and increased hyperactivity in children..
Enough said!!!!!

Cochineal has been around for as long as I can remember and I am 83. Hasn't harmed me. Is it not better to consume this product than numerous other products that have been proven to be detrimental to our health.

Never heard of it before and from the name it infers Cockroaches. Now that's absolutely disgusting. I'll be looking from now on. People should have the choice if they want to eat them or not. I would of expected Australia not to approve this product. Bye Bye Tim Tams

• Wow
Reactions: Veggiepatch
Never heard of it before and from the name it infers Cockroaches. Now that's absolutely disgusting. I'll be looking from now on. People should have the choice if they want to eat them or not. I would of expected Australia not to approve this product. Bye Bye Tim Tams
It's got nothing to do with cockroaches! It's non toxic and you have probably been eating it for years! Do you eat jelly or use lipstick?