Big pay rise for over 5 million Aussies: What you need to know

As the cost of living continues to rise, many Australians feel the pinch, particularly those who rely on government assistance to make ends meet.

However, there's some good news on the horizon for over five million Aussies who will soon see a welcome increase in their wallets.

Services Australia payments are set to be indexed, and Rent Assistance payments will be increased further, providing a much-needed cash boost for many.

This indexation will be applied to a broad spectrum of payments, including the Age Pension, Disability Support Pension, Carer Payments, Commonwealth Rent Assistance, Job Seeker Payments, and Parenting Payments.

The increases, which could be up to $41.50 per fortnight, will vary depending on the payment type and are scheduled to take effect on Friday, 20 September.

1726625053024.png
Over 5 million Australians get a cash boost with increased Services Australia payments. Credit: Shutterstock

For those of you who need to become more familiar with the term, indexation is a method used to adjust income payments by a percentage that reflects the movement in prices or wages.

Commonwealth Rent Assistance will see a significant 10 per cent increase in maximum rates.

At the maximum rate, this translates to an extra $23 for single recipients every fortnight.

Families with one or two children will see their Rent Assistance payment rise by $27.02 per fortnight.

JobSeeker recipients are also set to benefit.

‘Single JobSeeker Payment recipients with an assessed partial capacity to work of zero to 14 hours per week will move to the higher rate of JobSeeker, receiving $849.50 a fortnight,’ the Department of Social Services stated.

Even those remaining on the lower rate will see an increase; single recipients without children will receive an additional $15.30, while those with a child will get a $19.80 boost.

Single-age pensioners will notice an increase of $28.10 in their fortnightly payments, and couples will receive a combined $42.40 increase.

The same rise applies to the Disability Support Pension and Carer Payment, with total payments per fortnight, including the energy supplement, reaching $1114.40 for singles and $862.60 for each couple member.

Parenting Payment recipients will also benefit from a $19.80 increase in fortnightly payments.

Social Services Minister Amanda Rishworth has stated that these indexation increases and budget measures mean that Commonwealth Rent Assistance has risen by about 45 per cent since Labor was elected.

‘This government recognises that many Australians continue to be directly affected by cost of living pressures,’ she emphasised.

‘This indexation will deliver timely boosts to people receiving allowance payments and pensions, ensuring that these vulnerable cohorts have more money in their pockets for everyday expenses.’

Find out if you're eligible for these increased benefits and see the list of increasing payments.

It's essential to visit the Department of Social Services website or contact Services Australia directly.

Key Takeaways

• The indexation of Services Australia payments, including the Age Pension, Disability Support Pension, Carer Payments, Commonwealth Rent Assistance, JobSeeker, and Parenting Payments, will give more than five million Australians a cash boost.
  • The indexation increase, which may reach $41.50 a fortnight, will vary depending on the payment type and take effect on Friday, 20 September.
  • The maximum rates of Commonwealth Rent Assistance will rise by 10 per cent, with varying increases for single recipients and families depending on their circumstances.
  • Social Services Minister Amanda Rishworth highlighted that the combination of indexation and budget measures has resulted in a roughly 45 per cent increase in Rent Assistance since Labor was elected, alleviating cost-of-living pressures for vulnerable Australians.
How will the upcoming payment increases impact your budget? What adjustments might you notice in your government assistance from 20 September? Share your thoughts and opinions in the comments below.

Sponsored
Well again you do paint too good a picture. It seems to be in your DNA to bolster this government. I need to remind you that every one of those recipients is getting the CPI/Average wage increases on average 6 months too late because these adjustments are after the event with people having to carry the load for that period without compensation. The process repeats and repeats. What also needs to be recognised is that generally these adjustments are automatic under any Australian Government no matter its colour. The rent assistance increase you quote at 45% does not in any serious way cover rental increases in housing which is mostly the result of poor government policies causing very high inflation. The compensation is totally inadequate. Those are the facts.
An increase of $28.10 per fortnight won't even see it because our rents are going up by $36.00 per fortnight, also we don't receive rent assistance so no help there either - in fact it means all of us where I live are getting less and it's a struggle right now.

Lol, we actually are going to loose money from our part pensions. Seems to happen every time, obviously our super is accruing in value.
No haven't got mine and don't get this check to see if you are eligible. Shouldn't need to check if your on the same level as I've been on since the beginning of the age pension. Never earned any extra money because of my health never been able to

Thanks for that, the aged pension increases and then my rent assistance goes down! Stop lying, it is not $28 increase it is $28 PER FORTNIGHT and then reduced by the rent assistance drop ...... You all just slant it to sound good like you are helping us survive. LOAD OF ROT

Judgement judgement and more judgement.I havent walked in anyone else's shoes so I have no right to judge.I own the choices I have made in life as that has made me who I am today.For those who wish to judge I have had many forks in the road of life and live by unconditional love

Good on you, you didn't have any abuse and had your unconditional love. We are allowed to comment and point out errors in statements ..... The Government only look after themselves and slant the truth in their favour - just like the guy on the tv now! Politicians, no time for them

Reactions: deni67
Well again you do paint too good a picture. It seems to be in your DNA to bolster this government. I need to remind you that every one of those recipients is getting the CPI/Average wage increases on average 6 months too late because these adjustments are after the event with people having to carry the load for that period without compensation. The process repeats and repeats. What also needs to be recognised is that generally these adjustments are automatic under any Australian Government no matter its colour. The rent assistance increase you quote at 45% does not in any serious way cover rental increases in housing which is mostly the result of poor government policies causing very high inflation. The compensation is totally inadequate. Those are the facts.
As they say, the fact is the fact. There is no question about it.
They think we are fools.

I have to ask them to stop giving me an increase as the more they increase my gross the less i receive in my net amount. Seems as if the DCJ just siphons my increases plus more of my net amount! I am very unhappy whenever there is an "increase" i have actually gain less monies for each "increase". Has this happened to others, I wonder. Enjoying my life regardless of the irony.

Now that the government has closed down legitimate Vaping businesses, we are forced to buy what we need on the black market at double the price. It’s absolutely ridiculous, considering that smoking is still legal and mostly unaffordable for pensioners like myself.

• Sad
As A single woman , who kept 2 people that I was never introduced to with my taxes. I find your letter? repulsive. I helped my mother pay off a house, my father was away fighting a war and was unable to. I then worked to pay off my own. No smoking. No drinking. Wages very poor. I am grateful for my pension, should I hand it back? Oh, and when I was paying off a loan interest rates %18
Barb

Reactions: June E
Try being a self funded retiree, we get f all, that's right absolutely nothing, yet are we always whinging like a lot of others who think the world owes them a living. If they didn't waste money on smoking or drinking and put something away for retirement perhaps they wouldn't have to rely on the government (read taxpayer) to fund their life choices.
Come on mate don’t knock people because some are self funded like yourself and some are on an age pension ! You don’t know what people’s lives have had in them to make the difference. Most of us are no different to you. Meaning most don’t waste money smoking and drinking or gambling . So get off your high horse and stop your whinging !

Politicians Okay themselves hundreds of dollars a day, while they Okay less than a Dollar $1.00 a day for the most vulnerable (For various reasons) other than children in our society the pensioner.
GIVE ALBO --THE ELBOW.
I agree give Albo the elbow but what do we get instead another cock head as we’ve had for years past! They are all out to fill their own bank accounts.

Remember it’s often happened that the raise we got per fortnight didn’t cover a loaf of bread and a bottle of milk. So it will be nice to see it on the bank account in 11 days time even though everything will have gone up again by then 😂

Regrettably, the 'extra' money is given with one hand and taken away with the other through increased tax payable due to bracket creep. The basic tax free amount of income has been $18,200 for at least 4 years.Inflation has been taking place at approx-give or take - 3% pa.which means that if you gained an extra extra $2284 due to inflation adjustments to your age pension,you are now liable for a tax of $434.They haven't indexed the tax free thresh hold or the low income payment of $700,or the $1602 low income rebate either. The cry should be no taxation without indexation.

I'm grateful. I love living in a country that supports me in this way. Thank you.
I'm also grateful - who wouldn't be, to be unable to work, and receive help with food and rent and energy.

It is NOT ok for our successive governments to allow mining companines to be let off from collective $billions in taxes over the years, while holding back on giving those on welfare what is due to them.

There is no real compensation for inflation. We know that the CPI is a shape-shifting calculation eg if steak goes up, drop it from the list, because no one buys it as before. But hey! They are now buying mince, so we'll swap in the price of mince, which is cheaper than steak.
Cunning, and saves govt $millions when applied to all welfare recipients.

Reactions: Abby2