Big Four banks’ controversial move leaves thousands of Aussies feeling abandoned

The digital revolution is sweeping across all sectors, and banking is no exception.

However, a trend in the rapid transition towards a digital banking society has left many Australians feeling deserted and vulnerable.

Big Four banks Commonwealth Bank (including its subsidiary Bankwest) and National Australia Bank (NAB) have been accused of abandoning their customers following continued branch closures across the country.

In early February, NAB announced plans to close 13 branches for 2024, while Bankwest will shut down two more.

Branch closures have also occurred with the remaining Big Four banks.

Twenty-three Westpac branches across Australia closed in 2023.

Meanwhile, Australia and New Zealand Banking Group (ANZ) has been cited as ‘far from the worst offender’ in closures compared to the others. Still, it has closed 403 branches over the past decade. Of this figure, 17 were closed in 2023.

These closures are the latest in a series of branch shutdowns that have seen more than 2,100 branches across all major banking institutions close their doors over the past six years.

SDC 1.png
Thousands of bank branches have closed over the past six years. Image source: pressfoto on Freepik.

Millions of Australians, particularly seniors, people living with disabilities, and those in regional and remote areas, rely heavily on these branches for their financial needs.

For these groups, physical branches are not just a convenience but a necessity.

Julia Angrisano, the National Secretary of the Finance Sector Union, has voiced concern over the closures, stating that they signal a 'desertion' of an essential service and have a 'devastating impact' on communities.

'The banks have been using branch closures to prop up their massive profits for years, and it's time they were forced to maintain customer service to local communities in regional and metropolitan areas,' she said.

The closures are not just affecting those in regional areas.

Thousands of city dwellers are also being forced to adapt to a shrinking number of branch locations.

For instance, the closure of the Commonwealth Bank branch in Rundle Mall, Adelaide's busiest shopping precinct, will affect the many customers and businesses that rely on its services.

'There are 800,000 people passing through Rundle Mall every week, and many will be CBA customers; however, the bank has decided to shut the branch with the loss of 13 jobs,' Ms Angrisano added.

'This is the busiest shopping precinct in Adelaide, but CBA customers and businesses are being told to find a branch elsewhere in the city if they need to visit a bank branch.'

'Coogee is in the middle of Sydney's heavily populated eastern suburbs, with many older customers, but that branch is going as well.'

Commonwealth Bank, BankWest, NAB, and other financial institutions have redirected customers towards the 3,500 Australia Post outlets, where they can use the Bank@Post service to deposit and withdraw cash and make balance inquiries.

'The banks claim that customers can move to [do] banking at the post office, but there is only a limited service available at post offices, so that is not a realistic option and not all banks have a contract with Australia Post,' Ms Angrisano added.

The services a branch offers extend beyond just cash transactions—they include identity checks, loan applications, and a range of other important face-to-face service interactions that are vital to effectively serve customers.

'All these interactions have one thing in common,' she said.

'They must be performed by a suitably qualified bank worker. They can't be done in a post office.'

The number of branches in major cities and metropolitan areas has reportedly decreased by 39 per cent in the last six years, according to Adam Trevorrow from the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority.

This trend is likely to continue as banks increasingly move their operations online.
Key Takeaways

• Australia's largest banks, such as Commonwealth Bank (and subsidiary Bankwest) and National Australia Bank, are accused of deserting Australians by closing more branches.
  • Branch closures have also affected other large banks, with Westpac closing 23 branches and ANZ closing 17 branches in 2023.
  • Numerous branch closures (over 2,100 branches closed) have occurred over the past six years, which have many customers, especially seniors and those with disabilities.
  • Finance Sector Union National Secretary Julia Angrisano criticised the banks for the closures, stating they have a 'devastating impact' on communities and argued that banks prioritised profits over maintaining customer service.
  • Although banks are directing customers to Australia Post outlets for basic transactions, she argued that post offices cannot replace the full range of services offered by bank branches, which require qualified bank workers.
What are your thoughts on this issue? Have you been affected by the closure of your local bank branch? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.

Editor's Note: This story labelled BankWest as a Big Four bank. It has since been corrected to include Westpac. We regret the oversight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
I live in a small, regional city in Victoria where 5 out of 6 of our banks have closed. The remaining bank has moved to a shopping centre. This includes the big 4 plus 2 smaller banks! Now they tell us we need to learn how to use digital banking - I am 81 years old and object to this. Where I live is low socio-economic, so as well as having to go by bus to another town, when changing banks is too difficult for them, they now have to find ways to use online banking with no computers, smart phones or tablets! Disgusting!!

Bankwest is not in the Big 4
Back in the early1980s Keating announced the Big 4.
Definitely not Bank West was not on that list

As a 'subsidiary of the Commonwealth Bank', Bankwest is at the very least, the junior partner to a Big 4 member. That is a very close relationship, and would have a large impact on their activities and conduct.

Whilst I do have a computer & can use it really well, I do have trouble if I have to try to communicate with "customer service" via the internet. I find I ask the wrong question, get the wrong answer, have to wait for ages for an answer while, presumably, the "customer service" operator deals with another customer.

As for using the phone, that's another story completely. I am fairly deaf & find that people speak too softly (or yell when asked to speak up), mumble, have an accent which I can't understand, speak too fast - the list is endless. I have a couple of friends I speak to on the phone but otherwise I don't answer it because it is too exhausting trying to conduct the conversation. Face to face I can add some lip-reading to my arsenal in understanding the person & this is definitely not available on the phone.

Additionally, having seen all the people who have had money stolen in various ways when using cards or internet banking, I will never use internet banking & seldom use a card, although I do carry one in case I run short of cash at an inconvenient time.

The banks are there as a service to the community not to pay huge wages & bonuses to top executives who have not justified these payments in any way other than closing branches so that the bank makes a bigger profit. There was a time when you could go to the bank & speak with the manager over a problem. I don't know how I would have managed years ago when my parents were involved in a head-on crash & both were hospitalised in different hospitals. I was left to deal with their household expenses i.e. electricity, rates, insurance etc. If I could not have spoken with their bank manager to come to an agreement on how I could operate on their a/cs then they would have come home after months of hospitalisation & rehabilitation to an absolute financial mess. Banks MUST remain open,

Reactions: June E and Pommyoz
I live in a small, regional city in Victoria where 5 out of 6 of our banks have closed. The remaining bank has moved to a shopping centre. This includes the big 4 plus 2 smaller banks! Now they tell us we need to learn how to use digital banking - I am 81 years old and object to this. Where I live is low socio-economic, so as well as having to go by bus to another town, when changing banks is too difficult for them, they now have to find ways to use online banking with no computers, smart phones or tablets! Disgusting!!
Unfortunately it is not only the banks who are deserting smaller country towns.
If you look overseas the Banks in the US are doing the same
Germany has used the post office for decades successfully

Unfortunately the Banks closed their connection with Post Offices as the staff were not able to devote enough time to banking customers

Bankwest is not in the Big 4
Back in the early1980s Keating announced the Big 4.
Definitely not Bank West was not on that list
Must be at a different bank to me
Bank Managers are kind and considerate.

Do what you ask of them.

Shareholders have done extremely well from their investments

My comment was to do with an incorrect statement

Bank West is not one of the Big 4

Back in the 1980s or now

The post is unprofessional
Great spotting, @Ulla! The post has since been corrected. Our apologies, and thank you for pointing it out. 🙏

Will you lot stop with the back and forward about the BIG 4. This forum is about bank closures not about what bank is what!

Reactions: June E
Whilst I do have a computer & can use it really well, I do have trouble if I have to try to communicate with "customer service" via the internet. I find I ask the wrong question, get the wrong answer, have to wait for ages for an answer while, presumably, the "customer service" operator deals with another customer.

As for using the phone, that's another story completely. I am fairly deaf & find that people speak too softly (or yell when asked to speak up), mumble, have an accent which I can't understand, speak too fast - the list is endless. I have a couple of friends I speak to on the phone but otherwise I don't answer it because it is too exhausting trying to conduct the conversation. Face to face I can add some lip-reading to my arsenal in understanding the person & this is definitely not available on the phone.

Additionally, having seen all the people who have had money stolen in various ways when using cards or internet banking, I will never use internet banking & seldom use a card, although I do carry one in case I run short of cash at an inconvenient time.

The banks are there as a service to the community not to pay huge wages & bonuses to top executives who have not justified these payments in any way other than closing branches so that the bank makes a bigger profit. There was a time when you could go to the bank & speak with the manager over a problem. I don't know how I'mI would have managed years ago when my parents were involved in a head-on crash & both were hospitalised in different hospitals. I was left to deal with their household expenses i.e. electricity, rates, insurance etc. If I could not have spoken with their bank manager to come to an agreement on how I could operate on their a/cs then they would have come home after months of hospitalisation & rehabilitation to an absolute financial mess. Banks MUST remain open,
Unfortunately the trend overseas is the same as here.

Consider why it is happening world wide why is anything happening world wide
I was wondering when Bankwest became one of 4 what happened to westpac wasn’t that one of them ?
WBC Sure was and still is. I think it was a typo or someone who did not realize the WBC was the Bank of New South Wales and the first bank in Australia whereas Bank West is a small subsidiary of CBA.

Reactions: June E
Well I don’t think it matters if BankWest is one of the big 4 or not, I don’t really care who’s in the big 4 ! What I do care about is that the older generation will have to cope somehow if the cashless Australia comes about. If the so called big 4 want to go cashless and branch less let them, and leave the smaller banks, credit unions etc.to do business as usual using cash with a time line of say 20 or 30 years before going totally cashless.
I for one am totally disgusted if we get no say in this, Gov and banks are ruling us all and it’s not right !

Reactions: Revo
Will you lot stop with the back and forward about the BIG 4. This forum is about bank closures not about what bank is what!
Unfortunately if you look at the major shareholders of the Banks and the other major Australian companies they all have one thing in common.
Same shareholders who not only control our companies but world wide.
Think about it they do not care about us.
Their role is to control us. Who pulls the strings for the WEF etc.
This is the plan world wide. 15 minute cities etc.

Reactions: Revo
Well I don’t think it matters if BankWest is one of the big 4 or not, I don’t really care who’s in the big 4 ! What I do care about is that the older generation will have to cope somehow if the cashless Australia comes about. If the so called big 4 want to go cashless and branch less let them, and leave the smaller banks, credit unions etc.to do business as usual using cash with a time line of say 20 or 30 years before going totally cashless.
I for one am totally disgusted if we get no say in this, Gov and banks are ruling us all and it’s not right !
The smaller Banks are controlled by the shareholders.
We do not control them

I think this is disappointing, as why is it all businesses, put profit margins, ahead of the elderly, as not all are technology savvy, or have people who are able to support them. This is disgraceful towards them

You will have to excuse my French? but banks don't give two fucks about it's small customers.
The Shareholders control them look at Top 20 of all the Banks and other major companies etc. All have the same major shareholders. All worth trillions.
They do not care about us.

I totally agree. Us oldies need help with these banks. No consideration at all.
For the time being the Big shareholders not only control the Banks but the major profitable Australian companies.
Here and other countries in the Western World

We have no say in it.
Nor do the Banks just like us they are controlled

Check out the major shareholders

It is the same Bank after Bank and Major Companies

We are not relevant to them

Banks are the biggest scammers. They want big profits and not doing anything for it. They all had the biggest profits of any scammers last year. I have no doubt the profits this year will be billions more than last year. So what happens when all the billionaires have taken all the money out of circulation and have it sitting in their bank accounts. At some point we have to run out of money.

Banks are the biggest scammers. They want big profits and not doing anything for it. They all had the biggest profits of any scammers last year. I have no doubt the profits this year will be billions more than last year. So what happens when all the billionaires have taken all the money out of circulation and have it sitting in their bank accounts. At some point we have to run out of money.
Check who are the shareholders
Vanguard Blackrock etc.

Worth Trillions.

We have only been targeted in recent years.

Prior to that the shareholders were more Mums and dads and Superannuation funds

Now the CEOs bow to the Trillionaires

Check who are the shareholders
Vanguard Blackrock etc.

Worth Trillions.

We have only been targeted in recent years.

Prior to that the shareholders were more Mums and dads and Superannuation funds

Now the CEOs bow to the Trillionaires

Why anyone banks with the Big 4 is beyond me. I left them years ago.
I use a credit union and the BOQ. They are so much better.
Why we have to have purchases rounded up or down for that matter when you are paying by card is a total scam and I don't know why they are getting away with it.
And the other practice of taking the money from your account the minute you pay a bill but not giving it to the payee immediately is another rort.
As for a cashless society, again this is a big advantage to the banks who get revenue from the Eftpos machines.
We can change things if we don't use the culprits.