S

Sean Camara

Beware of This New Phishing Scam That's Targeting Apple Pay Users

If you're an Apple Pay user in Australia, beware! A new scam is circulating that could steal your credit card and banking information.

The scam works like this: you receive a text message claiming that your Apple Pay account has been suspended. The message includes a link to a third-party website, which looks like a legitimate banking site. But if you enter your information on the site, the scammers will be able to access your accounts. Sometimes even just clicking on the link is enough for them to access your phone!

So if you get this text, don't click on the link! Delete the message and go about your day.

Scamwatch Australia alerted Australians to the fraud and urged them to exercise caution.

The agency said: 'Watch out for phishing texts claiming that your account has been suspended.'

'This creates a sense of urgency that encourages you to act quickly – but the link is a scam designed to steal your card and banking info.'

svdCzSdIc15R0uHo9UW9ANhVUMxhXZBMDdM8bzVYHo0VsWopfUIqSFKoqDiIkF6P5Z6hdeEBwfk532i9rugmz6UNcOpvCHbkE0QnZ0DXPUV2AxxIF_HLFFvRpBwGlkkKf2XxIWkTW8UFfdOxD4AICQ

A new scam is making the rounds on the internet after victimising several Apple Pay users, causing them to lose more than $1,000. Credit: Twitter.

Anyone who might be concerned is advised not to click the link and instead to get in touch with their bank.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) reported receiving 40 reports of this specific fraud in the month of July, with claimed losses totalling more than $1,000 each.

The ACCC also noted that in July 2022, a total loss of $4.9 million resulted from this scam in addition to other phishing schemes.

If you receive suspicious text messages, here are some guidelines released by the ACCC that can help you avoid falling victim to these schemes:

• Press delete instead of opening attachments or clicking any links in texts asking you to update or verify your account information, especially if they are claiming to be from your bank or another reputable organisation.
  • Look up any references to a similar fraud online. (We recommend checking out the Scam Watch section of the SDC website.)
  • Look for the secure symbol to find out if a website is secure.
  • If you receive a call from someone pretending to be from your bank or another organisation, never give out your personal, credit card, or online account information. Call your bank to check instead (by searching their phone number on Google).
  • If you think you have provided your account details to a scammer, contact your bank or financial institution immediately.
  • To help spread the news, report frauds to the ACCC via their report a scam website.

It is important to always be vigilant when it comes to online security. This means keeping your software up to date, using strong passwords, and being aware of phishing scams. Have you spotted any scams recently? Be sure to post them on our Scam Watch page or comment down below. Stay safe out there, folks!

• Angry
Reactions: Annette V and Ricci
Don’t guess, question every text and phone call from an unknown number. Triple check just don’t let these scammers get you

Reactions: Ricci
i haven,t used norton fo 25 yrs .
bunnings has no s .....................

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220823-231327_One UI Home_2.jpg
    Screenshot_20220823-231327_One UI Home_2.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 2
Yup - txt reads “your credit card has been compromised” … yeah - which one would that be?! 😡
Or txts from banks I don’t even have an account with 🤷‍♀️
Stay vigilant peeps - if in doubt - DELETE!

I was hacked nearly a year ago, by some creep in Belgium. Still suffering. After 6 months of no emails my telco accused me of being the hacker & I had to front up in person with birth certificate. Drive licence & seniors card as proof. I bought Apple because I was told impossible to hack. I am proof it is not true. He or she did not get the bit coin
demanded. I wouldn’t know how to get them anyway, but gave this senior a very bad scar on my “Golden Years.”
Any calls from OS or other states go unanswered, then blocked & deleted. I have learned to give anyone I know outside my state, a different ringtone & put them in contacts so they show up on screen as Friendlies not Enemy.
I suggest, instead of the long winded stuff you go on with at beginning of your newsletters you print one easy thing that seniors can learn about tec stuff. I would love to know how to delete somethings off my Apple Watch. I bought it so if I had an accident it would call for help, take my blood pressure, remind me to take pills etc. but now it is so full of apps they put on it that I have to charge it twice a day. I know it has to be done on the phone but I can’t seem to make it work.
Make everything short & easy please, remember we oldies are too busy & have too few years left to waste time.
Happy Days,
Meg.

• Sad