Beware of the Energy Saving Tip for cutting your electricity bill

Advertisement for SmartEnergy gadget to cut your electricity bill by 92%. Total purchase price was $52.99 AUD but was actually charged $82.45 USD. Be vigilant with these advertisements when purchasing as there was no information that the company would be overseas.

image (54).jpg
Lesson learnt the hard way. I have reported this to Seniors Discount Club.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
Often when you buy from overseas the bank charges an international transaction fee.

Also, recently I used a credit card to buy some tickets for an overseas lottery, via an Australian lottery company and my bank charged me a cash advance fee plus interest.

I thought I could do a credit purchase, without cost.

There was no warning that it was a cash advance!!!

You have to be so aware and so careful.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: magpie1 and PattiB
I just received my electricity bill today . After rebates ect it was $802 !!!!

I don't use a clothes dryer

I don't wash the clothes in hot water

I used a Wood Heater through winter , no electric heater in my house

And still it's over $800
Same here, the entire house is LCD lighting which is used when a person is in the room, and they do not use electricity for anything else.
Washing is done on the cold cycle.
The gas is used for showers only (I shower once per fortnight to save on gas)..
electricity - $480 per month
Gas - $145 per month

• Wow
Reactions: magpie1 and Phyll

And still it's over $800
I am a Pensioner, I have18 solar panels & I pay $50.00 per month towards my bill. With the Government grants my last three accounts were nil.

Some years ago i had a Powerpal monitor attached to my electricity meter. It was free through a government (Vic I think) initiative. It does not by itself save me money however I can check via an app what my electricity usage is at any time during the day, and the cumulative cost for the day. I have changed my energy plans several times over the years to get better rates. I enter the plan details through the app and can see the changes reflected in a weekly report. I have even moved house and taken my little monitor with me to the new meter.
UInitially,using one appliance at a time, I charted which ones draw the most power and have varied my use accordungly. *I am on a 'time of use' plan si this was important to me.
I can highly recommend this monutiring gadget. I think if you Google Powerpal' you would get all the info yiu need uf it us still available.

And still it's over $800
I am a pensioner as well and with all the rebates we made $224 so our electricity is in credit by $3900+ haven't paid a bill since 2011. Have solar and it is a great thing to have. I don't use a dryer, nor use hot water to wash clothes and have a wood heater the fan is on all day except at night when it is blocked down, have 3 freezers and 3 fridges running so I don't know how people have such big bills.

Last edited: