Beware of the Energy Saving Tip for cutting your electricity bill

Advertisement for SmartEnergy gadget to cut your electricity bill by 92%. Total purchase price was $52.99 AUD but was actually charged $82.45 USD. Be vigilant with these advertisements when purchasing as there was no information that the company would be overseas.

image (54).jpg
Lesson learnt the hard way. I have reported this to Seniors Discount Club.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
Same here, the entire house is LCD lighting which is used when a person is in the room, and they do not use electricity for anything else.
Washing is done on the cold cycle.
The gas is used for showers only (I shower once per fortnight to save on gas)..
electricity - $480 per month
Gas - $145 per month
It's a joke,My energy bill shows we use less than HALF a person on our gas and electricity.Just the two of us,we have a spare room upstairs which we made into a media(tv toom )it's snug no need for heating really with your PJs dressing gown and blanket over you,put on the washing machine 2 a week tops our bill is still $187 ???what is a house with A WHOLE PERSON PAYING $400 ? then there is the has...same...and yes fone all comparison sights

So hard for people not to jump at any possibility to save some money. I saw them advertised , checked it out and saw that it was totally unproven.
After years of having solar my bills are far more affordable.
I have solar panels and I have yet to see any benefit whatsoever. I was informed by the 'Salesman' that within a few years my bill would be greatly reduced...It has been 6 years since installation...Not so, I'm afraid..I am in the process of taking up this matter with the supplier.

Reactions: IAN3005
I just received my electricity bill today . After rebates ect it was $802 !!!!

I don't use a clothes dryer

I don't wash the clothes in hot water

I used a Wood Heater through winter , no electric heater in my house

And still it's over $800
You might want to have an electrician check your system. You may be getting billed fimir somebody else's usage. This happened to somebody close to me. She lives in a villa and the unit next door's usage was being charged to her and vice versa

I have solar panels and I have yet to see any benefit whatsoever. I was informed by the 'Salesman' that within a few years my bill would be greatly reduced...It has been 6 years since installation...Not so, I'm afraid..I am in the process of taking up this matter with the supplier.
kEEP US INFORMED!!!!!

I have 5kw of solar and paid for outright in 4 years and have not paid an electric bill since 2011 and am $3900+ in credit and last bill I got this week we made $230, so I think unless you have at least 5kw it doesn't make much of a dint in bills

Some years ago i had a Powerpal monitor attached to my electricity meter. It was free through a government (Vic I think) initiative. It does not by itself save me money however I can check via an app what my electricity usage is at any time during the day, and the cumulative cost for the day. I have changed my energy plans several times over the years to get better rates. I enter the plan details through the app and can see the changes reflected in a weekly report. I have even moved house and taken my little monitor with me to the new meter.
UInitially,using one appliance at a time, I charted which ones draw the most power and have varied my use accordungly. *I am on a 'time of use' plan si this was important to me.
I can highly recommend this monutiring gadget. I think if you Google Powerpal' you would get all the info yiu need uf it us still available.
We received a letter about Aurora energy wanting to update our meter but my son told them we didn't want it.Do you find you are paying more by having your meter updated?

Reactions: IAN3005
I am a pensioner as well and with all the rebates we made $224 so our electricity is in credit by $3900+ haven't paid a bill since 2011. Have solar and it is a great thing to have. I don't use a dryer, nor use hot water to wash clothes and have a wood heater the fan is on all day except at night when it is blocked down, have 3 freezers and 3 fridges running so I don't know how people have such big bills.
Don't advertise that.
They will be on your doorstep to check the meters.
I have solar panels, battery and Hot water, but still pay a modest amount. Just received a note from the energy company that my solar rebate is going down because too many people are going solar. I'm very happy for you ... make the most of the credit.

We received a letter about Aurora energy wanting to update our meter but my son told them we didn't want it.Do you find you are paying more by having your meter updated?
Yes... got caught by a site that was mentioned on this platform.

Reactions: Ebby
Time to buy some candles, wash everything including self in cold water, build a chimney and chop some wood for warmth and cooking...that might help a bit and would be cheaper than solar panels on the roof....and buy a big fridge only for food. MAYBE !!🤔

We too get credit every year having installed solar panels quite a few years ago - only cold water laundry, LED lighting throughout our home, credit comes as a cheque late in the year & a percentage of total savings is carried over to the next year. Admittedly no winter excessive a/c needed as we live in Brisbane but during summer we use at least one fan most days and also at night. Gas stove but electric hot water, we have one electricity line on what is called Tariff 33 which cuts out for 3 hours each day - only dishwasher, washer and washing machine on this tariff. Doesn’t bother us and we’ve been used to not using these appliances during these times (because we cannot, anyhow). Good investment in the solar panels which have by now paid for themselves in credits.

Reactions: DLHM