SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
A

Ally Castillo

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 14, 2022
Beware of Facebook scammers! This strange 'FedEx agent' scam has already swindled innocent people out of money

We here at the Seniors Discount Club love to take advantage of a good bargain – whether we’re buying or selling. That’s why we regularly browse sites in search of good deals on everything from clothes to furniture and appliances.

One site we regularly look at is Facebook Marketplace. It’s a fantastic way to declutter your home and get rid of stuff you no longer need or want. It's also a great platform for people who are looking to buy second-hand items at a fraction of the cost of purchasing them new.

However, as with any online marketplace, there is always the risk of encountering scammers and dishonest sellers.

One scam that has been making the rounds recently is the ‘FedEx agent scam’, which has already duped several innocent victims out of their cash. A young mother from Sydney recently shared her story after she was almost scammed by someone on Marketplace who was posing as a potential buyer for one of her items.

The mum, Danise, was approached by the con artist posing as a buyer who quickly started asking her for money as an ‘insurance policy’.

scam1.JPG
The exact message Danise received from the Facebook scammer. Credit: Facebook

Danise shared several screenshots of the bizarre incident with reporters. She said that although their conversation started normally, Danise started getting the feeling that the person behind the other account wasn’t to be trusted.

They approached her to inquire about the availability of the baby rocker she was selling. She told them it was still up for grabs, and the con artist acknowledged the listed price and told Danise they’d buy it.

However, the con artist then said they were too busy to pick up the item themselves. In the first screenshot, which you can see above, the scammer supposedly wanted to send a FedEx letter carrier to Danise’s home to pay for the rocker and collect the item.

Danise, on the other hand, wanted to help and asked if the buyer lived close by. ‘Maybe I can drop it off if you are,’ she responded.

But the con artist ignored her offer and sent another message about FedEx.

scam 2.JPG
Please be wary of scammers! Credit: Facebook

Danise said that this is the moment when she should’ve realised something was off. ‘People in the area are usually really nice, so you’d always give them the benefit of the doubt.’ She shared.

Instead of calling out the ‘buyer’ on their attempts at scamming, she agreed to what they wanted.

‘Okay, sure if that’s easier for you,’ she wrote. When asked for her personal details, she gave them to the scammer and asked if the FedEx courier could arrive at 11 AM.

scam 3.JPG
Don’t give out your personal information to anyone online. Credit: Facebook

When the con artist subsequently demanded money, Danise finally put her foot down. ‘The shipping costs are in my account, but there is an envelope insurance cost that you will have to pay,’ the ‘buyer’ wrote.

This, of course, confused Danise. In the screenshot above, the con artist tried to explain that the insurance would act as ‘protection’ just in case the item got lost in transit. This is when Danise said, ‘Sorry I won’t do this. The item is only $20.’ She didn’t respond to any of the dodgy messages after that.

In her post, she mentioned that she had already reported this person to the authorities, but is warning others that these con artists can just set up new profiles and do the same thing all over again to unsuspecting victims.

It also looks like this scam has been around for some time, according to this Reddit post from one year ago.

Key Takeaways

• Be vigilant when selling items on Facebook Marketplace. as many scammers pose as buyers to extract personal information or money from sellers.
  • If a buyer offers to send a FedEx agent to your home to pay you for an item, be immediately suspicious as this is a common scam tactic.
  • Do not give out any personal information or agree to any financial transaction unless you are certain that the buyer is legitimate.
  • If in doubt, report the profile to Facebook and/or block the user.

Well, there you have it, dear members. Always be careful of giving out personal information or bank details online. There are risks involved when transacting with strangers online. That’s why it’s important to be vigilant and aware of the various scams doing the rounds on the internet!

I had the same experience with TNT but as soon as she said I had to pay insurance and she wouldn't give me an address to send item too. They also said that if I did not go ahead with the deal they would go to the police. I rang TNT just to make sure. then I told them they were a scam and I had gone to the police. Heard no more. This was 2 weeks ago.

I had the same experience with TNT but as soon as she said I had to pay insurance and she wouldn't give me an address to send item too. They also said that if I did not go ahead with the deal they would go to the police. I rang TNT just to make sure. then I told them they were a scam and I had gone to the police. Heard no more. This was 2 weeks ago.
My daughter was trying to sell something for me on Marketplace. The supposed buyer said they would send someone to picking up and they asked for payid to transfer the money. The money didn’t come through so my daughter said the pickup would not go ahead. After a lot of pleading from the supposed buyer my daughter caught her out and she gave up. My daughter is reporting her to marketplace. Luckily we didn’t fall for it.
I had a similar experience trying to sell something on Gumtree years ago with supposed payment thru PayPal. Luckily I didn’t fall for it.
Scammers r everywhere u just have to b vigilant and v careful. Be suspicious of everyone. That’s just the way life is now. It’s horrible but true.

• Sad
Reactions: Zoya and Ricci