BEWARE: New online scam emerges on social media

In the digital age, scams are becoming increasingly sophisticated and harder to spot.

One such scam that has recently emerged is targeting travellers, pretending to be associated with Sydney's Kingsford Smith Airport.

This scam is circulating on social media platforms, particularly Facebook, and attempting to sell suitcases that were allegedly lost and left unclaimed at the airport for over six months.

'Sydney Kingsford Smith International Airport sale lost luggage that has been in store for more than 6 months,' the scam post reads.

'According to the regulations it has to be disposed, but we have decided to sell it for just $3 each.'

SDC 3.png
A new online scam sells lost luggage for $3. Image source: Facebook.

The post then prompts users to click an 'order' button and fill out their personal details.

The scam is made more convincing with an accompanying image showing bags lined up at the airport, with a sign that reads 'Lost Luggage $3'.

To appear legitimate, the comments section of the scam post is also filled with fake accounts claiming they have placed orders and received suitcases filled with expensive clothes, electronics, and luxury items.

The scam attempts to link back to Sydney Airport, either having 'Sydney' or 'Kingsford Smith' in the title.

You can see a sample scam post below:

Source: Facebook/Luggage Department.

One such fake customer wrote, 'I’m not sure how it works, but all shoes are my size, other clothes a little bigger, but I don’t mind.'

'It's so great that instead of disposing of all this thing, they give it to the people at such a low price,' another fake customer added.

An airport spokesperson confirmed this is a scam and reported it to Facebook.

'We would urge everyone to stay vigilant to social media scams and only trust information from Sydney Airport’s official verified accounts,' the spokesperson reiterated.

While it's true that Sydney Airport does hold lost property auctions for unclaimed luggage, the proceeds from these auctions are donated to charity.

It is understood that the airport does not sell unclaimed luggage for $3 on social media platforms.
Key Takeaways

• Travellers are being warned about a new scam claiming to sell lost luggage from Sydney Kingsford Smith International Airport for $3.
  • The scam is circulating on social media, with posts containing fake testimonials and photos to entice potential victims.
  • Sydney Airport has confirmed the scam and reported it to Facebook, They also advised people to only trust information from the airport's official verified accounts.
Remember, if something seems too good to be true, it probably is. Stay vigilant and protect yourself from online scams.

Have you encountered any online scams recently? Share your experiences in the comments below to help raise awareness and protect others.

Sponsored
I’d like to know what sets off certain scam messages. I keep getting ones saying my toll account is overdue. We live about 450 kilometers from the nearest toll road and haven’t been near one for about 4 years!
I’m also getting contant parcel delivery ones saying I need to update my details to get my parcel. The Delete button’s getting worn out on my phone! 😂😂😂

• Angry
Reactions: Big G
Painfully obvious scam. If an airport has this much lost luggage, it show how bad the system is. Recently I have noticed that on FB scam ads, there are reviews stating how great something is when in fact these reviews are all made up profiles from the scammer.
IF IT'S ON FB TREAT IT AS A SCAM. IF YOU DON'T AND LOOSE YOUR MONEY, DON'T COMPLAIN.
And mistakes in expression

In the digital age, scams are becoming increasingly sophisticated and harder to spot.

One such scam that has recently emerged is targeting travellers, pretending to be associated with Sydney's Kingsford Smith Airport.

This scam is circulating on social media platforms, particularly Facebook, and attempting to sell suitcases that were allegedly lost and left unclaimed at the airport for over six months.

'Sydney Kingsford Smith International Airport sale lost luggage that has been in store for more than 6 months,' the scam post reads.

'According to the regulations it has to be disposed, but we have decided to sell it for just $3 each.'

View attachment 38458
A new online scam sells lost luggage for $3. Image source: Facebook.

The post then prompts users to click an 'order' button and fill out their personal details.

The scam is made more convincing with an accompanying image showing bags lined up at the airport, with a sign that reads 'Lost Luggage $3'.

To appear legitimate, the comments section of the scam post is also filled with fake accounts claiming they have placed orders and received suitcases filled with expensive clothes, electronics, and luxury items.

The scam attempts to link back to Sydney Airport, either having 'Sydney' or 'Kingsford Smith' in the title.

You can see a sample scam post below:

Source: Facebook/Luggage Department.

One such fake customer wrote, 'I’m not sure how it works, but all shoes are my size, other clothes a little bigger, but I don’t mind.'

'It's so great that instead of disposing of all this thing, they give it to the people at such a low price,' another fake customer added.

An airport spokesperson confirmed this is a scam and reported it to Facebook.

'We would urge everyone to stay vigilant to social media scams and only trust information from Sydney Airport’s official verified accounts,' the spokesperson reiterated.

While it's true that Sydney Airport does hold lost property auctions for unclaimed luggage, the proceeds from these auctions are donated to charity.

It is understood that the airport does not sell unclaimed luggage for $3 on social media platforms.
Key Takeaways

• Travellers are being warned about a new scam claiming to sell lost luggage from Sydney Kingsford Smith International Airport for $3.
  • The scam is circulating on social media, with posts containing fake testimonials and photos to entice potential victims.
  • Sydney Airport has confirmed the scam and reported it to Facebook, They also advised people to only trust information from the airport's official verified accounts.
Remember, if something seems too good to be true, it probably is. Stay vigilant and protect yourself from online scams.

Have you encountered any online scams recently? Share your experiences in the comments below to help raise awareness and protect others.

Phone scamm I have been receiving for months. Toll fee overdue. I live in a state that doesnt have tolls and I havent been out of my state for 27 years. jay2

Reactions: Big G