Beware: 'Landlord' thieves trick unsuspecting homeowners

In an era where developments have made it easier for criminals to commit fraud, a new scam has emerged that has caused Aussies to be on high alert.

This time, the culprits are posing as 'landlord representatives' to gain access to homes, with the intent to rob them.

This alarming tactic has prompted an urgent warning for all residents to be vigilant and cautious about who they allow into their homes.

A Melbourne renter recently shared their unnerving experience on social media as they recounted how two individuals, a man and a woman, approached their home claiming to be representatives of the property's landlord.

They requested to inspect the property, specifically the backyard, but the tenant, who sensed something was amiss, denied them entry.

shutterstock_226990156.jpg
Thieves posed as 'landlord representatives' to gain access to a home. Image source: Shutterstock.

'She said she doesn’t want to look inside the house, just walk around and see the backyard,' the tenant shared.

'I said no, contact the estate agent and arrange a time with the proper notice given.'

The tenant's real estate agent later confirmed the tenant's suspicions.

'The estate agent got back to me and said those people were randos and had nothing to do with the landlord.'

The Melbourne resident was shaken by the encounter.

'Does anyone know what they might have been up to? Were they planning on robbing me later?' they asked.

'Super weird experience that kinda freaked me out.'

This incident has sparked a wave of concern among social media users, with many suggesting that the couple were likely criminals scouting the property for a potential burglary.

'Definitely scoping your joint out. Great you told them to f*** off in a nice way,' one commented.

'Probably knocking on the door to see if anyone is home, and then when there is, they come up with a fake story so you don't call the police,' another added.

A third added: 'At my old townhouse, some guy was snooping around number 43, and they were home, so [they] caught him. He said he was looking for his mate Steve, but he must live at 33 and got [it] mixed up.'

'My first guess would also be scoping out a robbery and using the “doesn’t want to look inside” as a way to falsely reassure and have more gullible people agree,' a fourth replied.

The incident also highlighted the importance of alerting one’s community.

'If you’re on good terms with your neighbours, might be worth letting them know. Thieves often work their way systematically through neighbourhoods,' one user advised.

'Once in your backyard, they have visual access [of] up to three other neighbours’ properties,' another user noted.

Another user shared their experience of falling victim to a similar scam.

'I had someone knock on my door and ask me if the bike in the backyard was for sale. I said no, and they left,' they wrote.

'After sitting down for a few minutes, I thought to myself: “How did they know about my bike in the backyard?”'

'When I went to look, it was gone, so the door knocking was a distraction whilst they stole my bike.'

'It was a 1970s chopper I had gotten from my uncle when I was little, so I was rather upset about it.'
Key Takeaways
  • A Melbourne renter has reported an attempted scam by individuals posing as landlord representatives to gain access to properties.
  • Social media users suggest this could be a new method for thieves to scope out homes for burglary.
  • Users advised renters to confirm such visits with their respective real estate agents and inform neighbours of any suspicious activity.
  • One user recounted a personal experience where they were distracted at the front door while their bike was being stolen from their backyard.
Have you experienced anything similar? Share your stories and tips in the comments below to help raise awareness and protect our community.

Sponsored
Diversity is not our friend, ever since our government started letting in unvetted trojan horse invaders we are being scammed by Australia post, banks ,Medicare, landlords, insurance companies and so many other scams, it's beyond a joke, where are the cops to bust these parasites, one bust in 5 years, big fukn deal.

Sound like scouts checking for several things, 1. Movement around the home and neighbourhood (times, dates, do they see neighbours watching them), 2. How many dogs in the street/home (are they friend or foe), 3. Does the home have security (where & what type) & is there easy access (windows & doors). 4. Then come the knock but not always. 5. Now comes the Break In. These activities can be done over several days or even months. Always remember that Break & Entre is rarely done on an impulse these days, they are planned.

Slimy snakes!

Reminds of a friend who posted an item for sale in the old Trading Post over 40 years ago. Some dirt bag requested a visit to look at the said item for sale.

This piece of excrement asked to use the downstairs toilet and slyly unlocked the sliding window.

Some days later, he came back to the empty house in broad daylight and took anything of value - televisions, sound equipment, microwave, jewellery, cash, anything of value. Even the fridge, washing machine and clothes dryer!

These people need to be strung up by the gonads above a pool of hungry crocodiles.

These days the person may seem ligit but not the case. I have had a couple of shady people arrive at the door. I had left my sliding back door open to go in and answer the front door (open with screen locked). My two dogs came bolting in from outside and certainly let me know of their disapproval of the persons at the door. They took a few steps back and then left, not even sure what they were after. Don't think they liked the look of my big 52kg boy frothing at the mouth and barking. Dogs can sense trouble and I am glad I left the back sliding door open for them to make their entrance.

Diversity is not our friend, ever since our government started letting in unvetted trojan horse invaders we are being scammed by Australia post, banks ,Medicare, landlords, insurance companies and so many other scams, it's beyond a joke, where are the cops to bust these parasites, one bust in 5 years, big fukn deal.
they are out collecting revenue in the traffic...until there is fines for burglary a token service is all we can get...I had a lawn mower stolen from my home and when I reported it was told to make a claim on my insurance. thats it...

Reactions: Macarj and Scaveola