Best Ever Meat Pie

With the cold weather we need comfort food and what is better than a chunky meat pie.
Where the meat is slow cooked first. See right at the bottom for a mince meat version
Screenshot_20230904_084319_Gallery.jpg
Cooked-Meat-Pies_4.jpg

Ingredients​

PIE Base​

• 3 frozen shortcrust pastry sheets, thawed

PIE LID:​

• 3 frozen puff pastry sheets, just thawed
  • 1 egg , lightly whisked

FILLING:​

• 1.25 kg beef chuck , cut into 2.5cm cubes
  • 1/2 tsp each salt & pepper
  • 2 – 3 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 onion , diced
  • 2 garlic cloves , minced
  • 5 tbsp flour , plain/all purpose
  • 3 cups beef stock, salt reduced
  • 1 cup dry red wine or add another 1/2 cup beef stock
  • 2 tbsp tomato paste
  • 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 tsp black pepper , coarsely ground
  • 2 bay leaves

Instructions​

• Sprinkle beef with 1/2 tsp salt and pepper.
  • Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large heavy based pot over high heat. Add 1/3 of the beef and brown aggressively all over, then remove. Repeat with remaining beef, adding more oil if needed.
  • Turn stove down to medium high. Add garlic and onion, cook 3 minutes.
  • Add flour, stir through.
  • Slowly add beef stock while stirring constantly. Once flour is dissolved, add wine, tomato paste, Worcestershire, pepper and bay leaves.
  • Return beef into pot, cover with lid, adjust heat so it’s simmering gently.
  • Simmer 1 hr 45 minutes. Remove lid, increase heat slightly and simmer 30 – 45 minutes, stirring regularly, or until beef is fork tender and liquid reduces down to a thickish gravy, just about covering beef . Do not reduce liquid too much – thickens more as it cools & in pie.
  • Remove from stove, cover and cool filling (I usually leave overnight).

PASTRY:​

• Preheat oven to 180C or 160 fan-forced
  • Cut out 6 rounds from the shortcrust pastry, then gently put pastry into pie tins – don’t stretch and pull pastry, causes shrinkage.
  • Place pies on tray. Top each pie with large sheets of baking paper and fill with pie weights (Note 7).
  • Bake 20 minutes, remove, then use paper overhang to carefully remove pie weights.
  • Return crusts into oven for 5 minutes or until base is light golden and dry (can skip, Note 8). Remove from oven.

ASSEMBLE PIES:​

• Fill pies with cooled filling, push down to fill. Should be slightly mounded.
  • Cut rounds from partially thawed puff pastry – cut them slightly larger than the edge of the cooked pastry bases.
  • Brush edge of pie crusts with egg, then place lid on filling, pressing edges to seal puff pastry to the shortcrust pastry.
  • Brush lids with egg, then cut a 1cm incision in the middle using a small knife.
  • Bake 30 minutes or until deep golden and puffed.
  • Serve hot and fresh, topped with tomato sauce if desired!

Recipe​

Cutting rounds– I use the top of a pie dish that I am using​

1. Make sure rounds are big enough so it covers the lip of the pie tin as well – better to have pastry too large than too small, it will shrink slightly.​

2. I get 4 lids out of each​

3. Beef– chuck beef is ideal for this recipe. Do not try this with gravy beef – too lean.​

4. Beef stock– I use store bought. Or if I have previously made a homemade batch​

5. Pie tins– I used reusable pie tins from Woolies or big W 10 cm​

6.Fitting pastry into pie tins– drape and gently push in, do not stretch and pull pastry (this will cause pastry to shrink when it bakes).​

7. Pie weights– that weigh down the pastry to stop it from puffing and shrinking while it bakes. I use dried rice, dried beans or similar​

8. Pastry 2nd bake– this is just to dry the base out and make it crisp, if not needed then skip the 2nd pastry bake.​

9. Beef mince– old school meat pies are made with beef mince but chunky style are more highly regarded for flavour and eating experience!​

MINCE MEAT PIE​

• Cook onion and garlic, then add 1.3 kg beef mince and brown
  • Add flour and remaining ingredients per recipe including pepper but DO NOT ADD SALT
  • Add 1 beef cube, crumbled
  • Simmer gently, covered, for 1 hr 20 minutes
  • Uncover and reduce for 20 minutes
  • Add up to 1 tsp dark soy sauce or extra worsteshire sauce to make the sauce colour a nice brown and adds flavour , simmer for 5 min. Add normal salt if you want it saltier.
  • Cool then use as filling per recipe.

10. Storage– Cooked pies keep in the fridge for up to 5 days​

Last edited:
Sponsored
With the cold weather we need comfort food and what is better than a chunky meat pie.
Where the meat is slow cooked first. See right at the bottom for a mince meat versionView attachment 4582View attachment 4583

Ingredients​

PIE Base​

• 1.25 kg / 2.5lb beef chuck , cut into 2.5cm/1″ cubes
  • 2 – 3 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 onion , diced
  • 1 cup dry red wine
  • 2 tbsp tomato paste
  • 2 bay leaves

Instructions​

• Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large heavy based pot over high heat. Add 1/3 of the beef and brown aggressively all over, then remove. Repeat with remaining beef, adding more oil if needed.
  • Slowly add beef stock while stirring constantly. Once flour is dissolved, add wine, tomato paste, Worcestershire, pepper and bay leaves.
  • Simmer 1 hr 45 minutes. Remove lid, increase heat slightly and simmer 30 – 45 minutes, stirring regularly, or until beef is fork tender and liquid reduces down to a thickish gravy, just about covering beef (see video). Do not reduce liquid too much – thickens more as it cools & in pie.

• Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
  • Cut out 6 rounds from the shortcrust pastry, then drape pastry into pie tins – don’t stretch and pull pastry, causes shrinkage. (Notes 1 & 6)
  • Place pies on tray. Top each pie with large sheets of parchment / baking paper and fill with pie weights (Note 7).
  • Bake 20 minutes, remove, then use paper overhang to carefully remove pie weights.
  • Return crusts into oven for 5 minutes or until base is light golden and dry (can skip, Note 8). Remove from oven.

• Cut rounds from partially thawed puff pastry – cut them slightly larger than the edge of the cooked pastry bases.
  • Brush edge of pie crusts with egg, then place lid on filling, pressing edges to seal puff pastry to the shortcrust pastry.
  • Brush lids with egg, then cut a 1cm / 0.5″ incision in the middle using a small knife.
  • Devour hot and fresh, topped with tomato sauce if desired!

Recipe Notes:​

Frozen shortcrust pastry– comes in 20cm/8″ square sheets here in Australia. Thaw then line up to overlap edges slightly and press down to seal edges (to make one long sheet, reduces waste).​

Make sure rounds are big enough so it covers the lip of the pie tin as well – better to have pastry too large than too small, it will shrink slightly.​

2. Puff pastryhere in Australia comes in 20cm/8″ square sheets. I get 2 lids out of each so there is quite a bit of leftover from each sheet.​

3. Beef– chuck beef is ideal for this recipe. Boneless short rib also works great. Do not try this with gravy beef – too lean.​

4. Beef stock– I use store bought​

5. Red wine – merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, shiraz, Burgundy, Zinfandel, malbec, Tempranillo all good here. Avoid sweet ones and light reds like pinot noirs, Grenache. Use this chart as a guide – anything from Merlot or bolder will be great!​

6. Pie tins– I used pie tins from Woolies (Australia), 10 cm / 4″​

Fitting pastry into pie tins– drape and gently push in, do not stretch and pull pastry (this will cause pastry to shrink when it bakes).​

7. Pie weights– heatproof marble size beads that weigh down the pastry to stop it from puffing and shrinking while it bakes. Sub with dried rice, dried beans or similar (save to reuse again as pie weights).​

8. Pastry 2nd bake– this is just to dry the base out and make it crisp, if not needed then skip the 2nd pastry bake.​

9. Beef mince– old school meat pies are made with beef mince but chunky style are more highly regarded for flavour and eating experience! Can’t get the same browning with mince, hence why sauce flavour is not quite as good. To make super tasty beef mince meat pies – completely skip salt, use beef cube and dark soy instead (doesn’t taste Asiany, adds flavour and colour to sauce otherwise it’s a pale unappetising brown colour):​

• Cook onion and garlic, then add 1.3 kg / 2.6lb beef mince (ground beef) and brown
  • Add flour and remaining ingredients per recipe including pepper but DO NOT ADD SALT
  • Add up to 1 tsp dark soy sauce to make the sauce colour a nice brown and add flavour (soy has more flavour than plain salt), simmer for 5 min. Add normal salt if you want it saltier.

Looks absolutely delicious! Thank you SO much for sharing your notes with us. You put in so much effort into every post and we want you to know that we greatly appreciate it. ❤️

@Suzanne rose this looks INCREDIBLE! I will be cooking this on Saturday after I cook your pizzas on Friday :ROFLMAO: Such great detail too, I have never made them before so I really appreciate you going into all the tiny details xx
Can you post pictures of both the pizza and pies you make. Hint make the pie filling the day before then it will feel like a breeze

Where the meat is slow cooked first. See right at the bottom for a mince meat versionView attachment 4582View attachment 4583

Ingredients​

PIE Base​

• 1.25 kg / 2.5lb beef chuck , cut into 2.5cm/1″ cubes
  • 2 – 3 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 onion , diced
  • 1 cup dry red wine
  • 2 tbsp tomato paste
  • 2 bay leaves

Instructions​

• Simmer 1 hr 45 minutes. Remove lid, increase heat slightly and simmer 30 – 45 minutes, stirring regularly, or until beef is fork tender and liquid reduces down to a thickish gravy, just about covering beef (see video). Do not reduce liquid too much – thickens more as it cools & in pie.

• Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
  • Cut out 6 rounds from the shortcrust pastry, then drape pastry into pie tins – don’t stretch and pull pastry, causes shrinkage. (Notes 1 & 6)
  • Place pies on tray. Top each pie with large sheets of parchment / baking paper and fill with pie weights (Note 7).

• Brush lids with egg, then cut a 1cm / 0.5″ incision in the middle using a small knife.
  • Devour hot and fresh, topped with tomato sauce if desired!

Recipe Notes:​

Frozen shortcrust pastry– comes in 20cm/8″ square sheets here in Australia. Thaw then line up to overlap edges slightly and press down to seal edges (to make one long sheet, reduces waste).​

Make sure rounds are big enough so it covers the lip of the pie tin as well – better to have pastry too large than too small, it will shrink slightly.​

2. Puff pastryhere in Australia comes in 20cm/8″ square sheets. I get 2 lids out of each so there is quite a bit of leftover from each sheet.​

3. Beef– chuck beef is ideal for this recipe. Boneless short rib also works great. Do not try this with gravy beef – too lean.​

4. Beef stock– I use store bought​

5. Red wine – merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, shiraz, Burgundy, Zinfandel, malbec, Tempranillo all good here. Avoid sweet ones and light reds like pinot noirs, Grenache. Use this chart as a guide – anything from Merlot or bolder will be great!​

6. Pie tins– I used pie tins from Woolies (Australia), 10 cm / 4″​

Fitting pastry into pie tins– drape and gently push in, do not stretch and pull pastry (this will cause pastry to shrink when it bakes).​

7. Pie weights– heatproof marble size beads that weigh down the pastry to stop it from puffing and shrinking while it bakes. Sub with dried rice, dried beans or similar (save to reuse again as pie weights).​

9. Beef mince– old school meat pies are made with beef mince but chunky style are more highly regarded for flavour and eating experience! Can’t get the same browning with mince, hence why sauce flavour is not quite as good. To make super tasty beef mince meat pies – completely skip salt, use beef cube and dark soy instead (doesn’t taste Asiany, adds flavour and colour to sauce otherwise it’s a pale unappetising brown colour):​

• Cook onion and garlic, then add 1.3 kg / 2.6lb beef mince (ground beef) and brown
  • Add up to 1 tsp dark soy sauce to make the sauce colour a nice brown and add flavour (soy has more flavour than plain salt), simmer for 5 min. Add normal salt if you want it saltier.

I find that if a pie is made well, it doesn't need tomato sauce as I find that it completely ruins the finished product, how ever I sometime cut and open the top and put a knob of butter in the meat which gives it an unctuous feel, but doesn't overpower the taste of the pie. I f you haven't tried it you may be pleasantly surprised.

I find that if a pie is made well, it doesn't need tomato sauce as I find that it completely ruins the finished product, how ever I sometime cut and open the top and put a knob of butter in the meat which gives it an unctuous feel, but doesn't overpower the taste of the pie. I f you haven't tried it you may be pleasantly surprised.
I also make pies without tomato paste and sauce but this particular recipe needs it , you can't leave any ingredient out. It's slow cooked and in the end it all comes together making it a rich succulent pie. You don't even need tomato sauce on top as the flavours are already amazing . I hope you give it a try

I also make pies without tomato paste and sauce but this particular recipe needs it , you can't leave any ingredient out. It's slow cooked and in the end it all comes together making it a rich succulent pie. You don't even need tomato sauce on top as the flavours are already amazing . I hope you give it a try
It;s not the sauce or paste used in the making, but rather the destructive smothering of the finished product.

Reactions: Suzanne rose
Where the meat is slow cooked first. See right at the bottom for a mince meat version
View attachment 28997
View attachment 4582

Ingredients​

PIE Base​

• 2 – 3 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 onion , diced
  • 2 tbsp tomato paste
  • 2 bay leaves

Instructions​

• Simmer 1 hr 45 minutes. Remove lid, increase heat slightly and simmer 30 – 45 minutes, stirring regularly, or until beef is fork tender and liquid reduces down to a thickish gravy, just about covering beef . Do not reduce liquid too much – thickens more as it cools & in pie.

• Cut out 6 rounds from the shortcrust pastry, then gently put pastry into pie tins – don’t stretch and pull pastry, causes shrinkage.
  • Place pies on tray. Top each pie with large sheets of baking paper and fill with pie weights (Note 7).

• Brush lids with egg, then cut a 1cm incision in the middle using a small knife.

Recipe​

1. Make sure rounds are big enough so it covers the lip of the pie tin as well – better to have pastry too large than too small, it will shrink slightly.​

3. Beef– chuck beef is ideal for this recipe. Do not try this with gravy beef – too lean.​

4. Beef stock– I use store bought. Or if I have previously made a homemade batch​

6.Fitting pastry into pie tins– drape and gently push in, do not stretch and pull pastry (this will cause pastry to shrink when it bakes).​

7. Pie weights– that weigh down the pastry to stop it from puffing and shrinking while it bakes. I use dried rice, dried beans or similar​

9. Beef mince– old school meat pies are made with beef mince but chunky style are more highly regarded for flavour and eating experience!​

MINCE MEAT PIE​

• Add up to 1 tsp dark soy sauce or extra worsteshire sauce to make the sauce colour a nice brown and adds flavour , simmer for 5 min. Add normal salt if you want it saltier.

They look beautiful. Thank you once again!

Thank you for your recipes they are always wonderful and quantities are spot on, I always save them and use later.

View attachment 28997
View attachment 4582

Ingredients​

PIE Base​

• 2 – 3 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 onion , diced
  • 2 tbsp tomato paste
  • 2 bay leaves

Instructions​

Recipe​

MINCE MEAT PIE​

Thanks for the detailed and what looks like a delicious pie recipe, I’ll be trying it out for my husband 😊