Beloved Australian ice cream brand announces product ‘shrinkflation’ amidst cost of living crisis - Here’s what you need to know

As the current cost of living continues to increase, it’s no surprise that more and more households and businesses are feeling the pinch.

In order to help cope with the financial pressures that come with rising supplies and production costs, some companies have resorted to reducing the size and weight of their products to help offset them - a method often referred to as 'shrinkflation' or 'size-reduction'.

And now, our beloved Maxibon ice creams have become the latest item to join the club of scaling-down sizes.

Unlike other affected products, Maxibon's parent company, Peters, has taken a unique, transparent approach to forewarn customers of the eventual size reduction expected to occur this month.

In a post on its social media channels, the company said: 'It's not the news you'll want to cop, but we had to let you know first. Tough times mean tough changes.'

The company confirmed that the size reduction ‘won't affect the cost’ (other than us having to pay the same price for less) of the delectable ice cream treats.

286024713_5175121655904627_2815659116188576974_n.jpg
Peters announced its plans to ‘shrinkflate’ Maxibon, informing customers that the size reduction of the product will be implemented later this month. Credit: Facebook/Maxibon.

‘From this month, you'll notice the changes, but our Maxibons will have the same taste you know and love,’ the statement continued.

‘We're sure there are a few thoughts going through your head, so we thought we'd beat you to it.’

Unsurprisingly, reactions to the news have been overwhelmingly adverse, with customers expressing their disappointment at the idea of getting less for the same cost.

One user wrote: ‘I find it insulting that you are downgrading a national treasure in the Maxibon while keeping the price the same.’

‘Yes, sales will drop. Last time I'll be buying any Maxibons,’ another said.

‘I don't buy or support any company that downsizes products and keeps the same price tag.’

329988018_191214760277442_8650986140970302044_n.jpg
Maxibon took to social media to share the important announcement. Credit: Maxibon/Facebook.

Some customers urged the company to also drop the cost of the treat.

One comment read: ‘Put the price down then!’

‘I suppose the price should go down a “touch” too, then?’ Another questioned.

Others suggested that the brand change its name if it offers a ‘different’ product.

One person said: ‘You got to change the name MINIBON now.’

Meanwhile, other consumers praised the company for being transparent about the changes in the product.

‘Kudos for not trying to sneak it past consumers without anyone noticing. Understandable given CPI,’ one user praised.

Key Takeaways
  • Maxibon ice creams are becoming the latest products to experience shrinkflation, with the size of the treat being reduced but the cost of it remaining the same.
  • There has been an overwhelmingly negative reaction from consumers, with many expressing dissatisfaction at getting less for the same cost.
  • Shrinkflation is a common way for companies to compensate for rising costs and avoid the negative press associated with raising prices.
  • The rising cost of production is the most common cause behind the fluctuation of food prices, with inputs such as land, labour and equipment costs all factored into the final cost of goods.

Changes in the prices of goods and services, such as food, can result from various factors.

One of the most common causes is the increase in production costs. As inputs for food production, such as labour, land, and equipment costs, rise, so does the cost of producing food, which can cause consumer prices to rise.

In the case of Maxibon's decision to shrink the size of their ice cream, the company appears to be attempting to mitigate this rising cost of production by reducing the size while keeping the price the same.

The move toward shrinkflation is a common way for companies to make up for rising costs. With companies across the globe cutting the sizes of various products, it can be an effective way to recoup losses while avoiding the negative press associated with raising prices.

This is not the first time a food product has been the target of shrinkflation, and it likely won't be the last.

As production costs continue to rise, more companies may consider following in Maxibon's footsteps to avoid raising prices and potentially losing customers.

Members, we’d love to know what you think about Maxibon’s decision. Do you think it’s necessary, or should prices also decrease to at least partly offset the size reduction? Have you had any experiences with other food products that have undergone shrinkflation recently? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
Haven't we already seen this with other ice creams shrinking cornetto, paddle pops have already shrunk . Cadbury chocolates has shrunk and McDonald's burgers have shrunk yet their prices haven't.
I think they do this instead of putting the price up but is so dishonest and sneaky

Companies were doing this long before the current economic situation, me thinks they are using current higher costs as a cover for profiteering if you look at published annual reports they have increased profitability or are they lying to their shareholders?

Nothing new here, but they don't say how much it's being reduced, guess you gotta buy one to find out or that's what they want you to do. That's the digital world making life and profit easier for business's but harder and more expensive for you the customers.

As the current cost of living continues to increase, it’s no surprise that more and more households and businesses are feeling the pinch.

In order to help cope with the financial pressures that come with rising supplies and production costs, some companies have resorted to reducing the size and weight of their products to help offset them - a method often referred to as 'shrinkflation' or 'size-reduction'.

And now, our beloved Maxibon ice creams have become the latest item to join the club of scaling-down sizes.

Unlike other affected products, Maxibon's parent company, Peters, has taken a unique, transparent approach to forewarn customers of the eventual size reduction expected to occur this month.

In a post on its social media channels, the company said: 'It's not the news you'll want to cop, but we had to let you know first. Tough times mean tough changes.'

The company confirmed that the size reduction ‘won't affect the cost’ (other than us having to pay the same price for less) of the delectable ice cream treats.

View attachment 15439
Peters announced its plans to ‘shrinkflate’ Maxibon, informing customers that the size reduction of the product will be implemented later this month. Credit: Facebook/Maxibon.

‘From this month, you'll notice the changes, but our Maxibons will have the same taste you know and love,’ the statement continued.

‘We're sure there are a few thoughts going through your head, so we thought we'd beat you to it.’

Unsurprisingly, reactions to the news have been overwhelmingly adverse, with customers expressing their disappointment at the idea of getting less for the same cost.

One user wrote: ‘I find it insulting that you are downgrading a national treasure in the Maxibon while keeping the price the same.’

‘I don't buy or support any company that downsizes products and keeps the same price tag.’

View attachment 15440
Maxibon took to social media to share the important announcement. Credit: Maxibon/Facebook.

Others suggested that the brand change its name if it offers a ‘different’ product.

Meanwhile, other consumers praised the company for being transparent about the changes in the product.

‘Kudos for not trying to sneak it past consumers without anyone noticing. Understandable given CPI,’ one user praised.

Key Takeaways

• Maxibon ice creams are becoming the latest products to experience shrinkflation, with the size of the treat being reduced but the cost of it remaining the same.
  • There has been an overwhelmingly negative reaction from consumers, with many expressing dissatisfaction at getting less for the same cost.
  • Shrinkflation is a common way for companies to compensate for rising costs and avoid the negative press associated with raising prices.
  • The rising cost of production is the most common cause behind the fluctuation of food prices, with inputs such as land, labour and equipment costs all factored into the final cost of goods.

Changes in the prices of goods and services, such as food, can result from various factors.

One of the most common causes is the increase in production costs. As inputs for food production, such as labour, land, and equipment costs, rise, so does the cost of producing food, which can cause consumer prices to rise.

In the case of Maxibon's decision to shrink the size of their ice cream, the company appears to be attempting to mitigate this rising cost of production by reducing the size while keeping the price the same.

The move toward shrinkflation is a common way for companies to make up for rising costs. With companies across the globe cutting the sizes of various products, it can be an effective way to recoup losses while avoiding the negative press associated with raising prices.

This is not the first time a food product has been the target of shrinkflation, and it likely won't be the last.

As production costs continue to rise, more companies may consider following in Maxibon's footsteps to avoid raising prices and potentially losing customers.

Members, we’d love to know what you think about Maxibon’s decision. Do you think it’s necessary, or should prices also decrease to at least partly offset the size reduction? Have you had any experiences with other food products that have undergone shrinkflation recently? Let us know in the comments below.
Muesli Bars have gradually been undergoing the effects of shrinkflation! Muesli bars that once were enough to be a filling snack for school recess, are no longer big enough for the job!

View attachment 15439

View attachment 15440

Key Takeaways

I recently bought a packet of Fantales chocolate/caramel sweets and was so annoyed to find them smaller as they used to be larger. I believe it is simply greed by the manufacturers and it willsoon come down to finding tissue paper stuffed in the info. wrapper.

Haven't we already seen this with other ice creams shrinking cornetto, paddle pops have already shrunk . Cadbury chocolates has shrunk and McDonald's burgers have shrunk yet their prices haven't.
I think they do this instead of putting the price up but is so dishonest and sneaky
I stop buying any product that reduces the size. I understand the reasoning, however if I pay the same for less amount I don't consider the product worth spending money on in the first place. So if prices go up customers will not buy, if content goes down customers will also not buy. What might work for the company is to keep the content the same and reduce the price.. If companies were to do that the may well get many more customers. Enough extra to cover their expense. Has worked for my family member in his business.

View attachment 15439

View attachment 15440

Key Takeaways

View attachment 15439

View attachment 15440

Key Takeaways

There is a good side to this!! I was a bit miffed when I first saw my favourite icecreams getting smaller (check out Magnums and Drumsticks!) but the thing is, I still enjoy them and really it’s enough! I’m just as satisfied with a smaller one. Just think of those calories you’re saving (if not your money). You feel almost virtuous eating less. Nice if they’d knock a bit off the price though. Their sales would increase because at the present price, it puts you off buying them . Me anyway.

Reactions: Ezzy, Zoya and RTS
If every body stopped buying things like that which really are just a sometimes food I bet the companies would not reduce sizes or put prices up many years ago Cadbury changed the milk content in their chocolate replaced it with oil people stopped buying Cadbury within 6 months they scrapped the idea they heading towards bankrupsy Coca Cola also had a problem similarly people power there is nothing more powerful against a business

I am totally against food companies doing this in the name of rising costs, where we the consumer pensioners and young struggling families alike, are still expected to pay full price for a shrinking product I don't know if anyone else agrees but it seems to be happening more and more here in Australia. Not Happy Jan!!!

Reactions: Ezzy, Zoya and RTS
Nothing new here, but they don't say how much it's being reduced, guess you gotta buy one to find out or that's what they want you to do. That's the digital world making life and profit easier for business's but harder and more expensive for you the customers.
No you don't Bill,you can just read the 'new' weight on the product and then decided whether it's worth it or not. No need to buy.

Reactions: Ezzy and Zoya
A treat that I loved was a 4 pack of Lemon filled Muffins from Woolworths.
They were delicious and good enough to serve to guests...not anymore...You need a microscope to find the lemon filling. The overall size is reduced and the topping and general structure of the muffins is dry bordering on tasteless. Of course the price has gone up too!

When are people going to realise that increased wages, Superannuation, transport costs, rents and all associated costs in the manufacturing process have to be covered somehow.
Manufacturers are not a charity, they are businesses. I am a pensioner and, as such, don't have much leftover after paying for the essentials. This is a confectionery item, a treat, not an essential. If you don't want to pay for the smaller item don't buy it. Simple🤔

Reactions: Marj53 and Zoya
Being totally selfish I think that they should put the price up substantially and reduce the size dramatically! Why? You might very well ask. Well, the thing contains tonnes of sugar so being a diabetic I still love Maxibons but they don't love me so even if I manage to scrimp and scrape a few extra bucks out of my pension and buy one, it would be doing me much less harm if it is smaller! Dat's wot I fink anyow.

• Haha
Reactions: Marj53 and Zoya