Beauty Expert Reveals: 5 Beauty Must-Haves Everyone Over 50 Needs

As we age, our skincare needs start to change. Decreased collagen and volume, as well as drier skin can all put a damper on our complexion’s natural radiance.

Sometimes it can be overwhelming to wade through endless aisles of beauty products to find the ones that work for us and are worth the money.

Luckily, Mama Mia’s Beauty Editor Teresa McNamara was kind enough to recommend the products that everyone over 50 needs for healthy and glowing skin.

‘I'm a skincare lover and have been since I was first introduced in my early teens. I have endeavoured to look after my skin most of my life and I think I get enough questions regarding what products I use, that it seems to have paid off,’ she wrote.

So, what exactly are these ‘must-have’ skincare products?

skincare1.jpg
There are 5 beauty products that will improve your skincare routine. Credit: Polina Tankilevitch/Pexels

Toner

A gentle toner will not only add extra moisture and help balance your skin’s pH levels, but this product also adds as a carrier for other products you’re about to put next on your face. In your skincare routine, you use a toner after you’ve cleansed your face.

The product then helps the next product absorb into your skin.

Vitamin C

We know vitamins help build our immune system and prevent common colds.

But as a serum, vitamin C also helps cure pigmentation, dark spots, and helps diminish the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. But did you know vitamin C also works to stimulate collagen, tackles sagginess and improves elasticity in our skin?

However, there’s no trick to finding the best vitamin C serum for you so you might have to test a couple of brands to see which one helps your skin.

skincare2.jpg
Vitamin C helps with pigmentation and dark spots. Credit: Karolina Grabowska/Pexels

Face Oil

Face oil is excellent for all skin types – yes, even those with oily skin can use face oils.

Face oils are full of antioxidants, hydrating in nature, and help lock in moisture – this will result in that plump and young-looking skin. Similar to vitamin C, face oils help diminish the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.

According to Ms McNamara, you should use facial oils every morning and night to reap the benefits.

Ceramide Cream

In curating your own skincare routine, remember that hydration is the name of the game. It doesn’t matter what kind of skin type you have, ensure that your skin is moisturised every day.

But as we get older, we need to double down on hydrating our skin so we don’t lose its elasticity or healthy glow.

Ceramides are the building blocks of our skin. These are lipids and fatty acids that will help your skin absorb and retain moisture. There are many ceramide creams out there in the market but buy a cheaper brand first to check how your skin reacts to the product.

skincare3.jpg
Ceramides are the building blocks of our skin. Credit: Tara Winstead/Pexels

Face Masks

Not just any face mask – sleeping masks could be your next best friend.

A sheet of face mask is soaked in a concoction that targets specific goals. This could be anything from fine lines or wrinkles to hyperpigmentation, and calming down sensitive skin. If you’re short on time or just can’t be bothered to create a whole skincare routine, face masks have got you covered.

Sleeping masks also work the same way, the only difference is that you can leave them on for the rest of the night. The product will then work with your skin to rejuvenate your cells. You’ll wake up relaxed with your skin feeling soft and smooth.

When it comes to feeling and looking your best, there are certain beauty tips tailored to mature skin that can help. One, invest in a high-quality moisturiser with SPF. This is a must-have for those who want to keep their skin hydrated and protected.

A gentle, non-abrasive exfoliator also assists in getting rid of dead skin cells and aids in better absorption of moisturiser.

Regular use of eye cream and sunscreen are great ways to protect your delicate under-eye area. Dark circles and puffiness can be made worse with poor sleep and hydration, so make sure you are getting plenty of rest and drinking lots of water.

Help blood flow circulation by massaging your face in a circular motion every morning and night. Even better – massage your face after you’ve put on serum and are about to head to bed to help you relax. Finally, don’t forget to remove your makeup before bed!

For more skincare routine tips, check out our article on how to curate your skincare routine here.
Key Takeaways
  • People over the age of 50 are said to have drier and thinner skin due to loss of collagen but there are products that can help.
  • Skincare is important to maintain healthy skin as we age.
  • A toner, vitamin C, Ceramide creams and face masks are among the skincare must-haves for anyone over 50.

• Before putting on skincare, always read the label and follow the instructions! Do you have a favourite skincare product? Share your thoughts in the comments!

Reactions: Ricci
Sponsored
As we age, our skincare needs start to change. Decreased collagen and volume, as well as drier skin can all put a damper on our complexion’s natural radiance.

Sometimes it can be overwhelming to wade through endless aisles of beauty products to find the ones that work for us and are worth the money.

Luckily, Mama Mia’s Beauty Editor Teresa McNamara was kind enough to recommend the products that everyone over 50 needs for healthy and glowing skin.

‘I'm a skincare lover and have been since I was first introduced in my early teens. I have endeavoured to look after my skin most of my life and I think I get enough questions regarding what products I use, that it seems to have paid off,’ she wrote.

So, what exactly are these ‘must-have’ skincare products?

View attachment 13670
There are 5 beauty products that will improve your skincare routine. Credit: Polina Tankilevitch/Pexels

Toner

A gentle toner will not only add extra moisture and help balance your skin’s pH levels, but this product also adds as a carrier for other products you’re about to put next on your face. In your skincare routine, you use a toner after you’ve cleansed your face.

The product then helps the next product absorb into your skin.

Vitamin C

We know vitamins help build our immune system and prevent common colds.

But as a serum, vitamin C also helps cure pigmentation, dark spots, and helps diminish the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. But did you know vitamin C also works to stimulate collagen, tackles sagginess and improves elasticity in our skin?

However, there’s no trick to finding the best vitamin C serum for you so you might have to test a couple of brands to see which one helps your skin.

View attachment 13671
Vitamin C helps with pigmentation and dark spots. Credit: Karolina Grabowska/Pexels

Face Oil

Face oil is excellent for all skin types – yes, even those with oily skin can use face oils.

Face oils are full of antioxidants, hydrating in nature, and help lock in moisture – this will result in that plump and young-looking skin. Similar to vitamin C, face oils help diminish the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.

According to Ms McNamara, you should use facial oils every morning and night to reap the benefits.

Ceramide Cream

In curating your own skincare routine, remember that hydration is the name of the game. It doesn’t matter what kind of skin type you have, ensure that your skin is moisturised every day.

But as we get older, we need to double down on hydrating our skin so we don’t lose its elasticity or healthy glow.

Ceramides are the building blocks of our skin. These are lipids and fatty acids that will help your skin absorb and retain moisture. There are many ceramide creams out there in the market but buy a cheaper brand first to check how your skin reacts to the product.

View attachment 13672
Ceramides are the building blocks of our skin. Credit: Tara Winstead/Pexels

Face Masks

Not just any face mask – sleeping masks could be your next best friend.

A sheet of face mask is soaked in a concoction that targets specific goals. This could be anything from fine lines or wrinkles to hyperpigmentation, and calming down sensitive skin. If you’re short on time or just can’t be bothered to create a whole skincare routine, face masks have got you covered.

Sleeping masks also work the same way, the only difference is that you can leave them on for the rest of the night. The product will then work with your skin to rejuvenate your cells. You’ll wake up relaxed with your skin feeling soft and smooth.

When it comes to feeling and looking your best, there are certain beauty tips tailored to mature skin that can help. One, invest in a high-quality moisturiser with SPF. This is a must-have for those who want to keep their skin hydrated and protected.

A gentle, non-abrasive exfoliator also assists in getting rid of dead skin cells and aids in better absorption of moisturiser.

Regular use of eye cream and sunscreen are great ways to protect your delicate under-eye area. Dark circles and puffiness can be made worse with poor sleep and hydration, so make sure you are getting plenty of rest and drinking lots of water.

Help blood flow circulation by massaging your face in a circular motion every morning and night. Even better – massage your face after you’ve put on serum and are about to head to bed to help you relax. Finally, don’t forget to remove your makeup before bed!

For more skincare routine tips, check out our article on how to curate your skincare routine here.
Key Takeaways

• People over the age of 50 are said to have drier and thinner skin due to loss of collagen but there are products that can help.
  • Skincare is important to maintain healthy skin as we age.
  • A toner, vitamin C, Ceramide creams and face masks are among the skincare must-haves for anyone over 50.

• Before putting on skincare, always read the label and follow the instructions! Do you have a favourite skincare product? Share your thoughts in the comments!
Nivea cellular anti age cream. When on special or from Amazon if you need it in a hurry when not 1/2 price at supermarkets.

What a lot of garbage, if people especially women spent more time looking after their bodies and skin by exercising then they wouldnt have to waist thousands of dollars a year in trying to look young when they are not. Thats why the advertise the odd genetic freak who looks younger or do advertising with younger people, not people who are older.

Reactions: maherdj and Ricci
I can think of maybe a million of things I'd rather waste my money on before skin care. I've never been one for slapping on lotions and potions. Soap and water is as far as I ever got with skincare and I keep getting complimented that I don't look my age so I must be doing something right! :)

Reactions: Groovy and Penny4
Even if you believe that a skincare regime is a waste of time, it is not always about the results.
Sometimes it's how looking after yourself makes you feel.

By the way, you don't need to spend "thousands of dollars" to make you feel or look good. Aren't we all supposed to be thrifty?

Of course we know there are no miracles out there, but if you feel good (and look good) by looking after yourself, your skin and your body, don't let any negative people or their comments make you feel otherwise!

Reactions: maherdj and Ricci
I would add a few more products to this list. As we age, our skin becomes more susceptible to damage from the sun, which can accelerate the aging process. A good moisturizer with SPF can help protect your skin from harmful UV rays while keeping it hydrated. A high-quality anti-aging serum can help reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, and improve skin texture and tone. Look for serums that contain ingredients like retinol, vitamin C, and hyaluronic acid. Lips can also become dry and thin with age. Look for balms that contain nourishing ingredients like shea butter and vitamin E. At nwcollege.edu, you can also make an appointment to have your skin nourished.

Last edited: