Battle of the supermarkets: Loyal Woolworths shopper bids farewell to the store for Coles – “It might be time for a break-up”

Saving money on your weekly grocery shop is not only rewarding, but it can be absolutely therapeutic. Knowing that you have a little bit of money left over that can be spent on other things is sure to reduce financial stress. However, for one customer, these discounts seemed to disappear.

Jai Bednall is a die-hard supermarket fanatic and has turned to Woolworths to get his fix for 20
years. His uncanny love for the supermarket developed since his uncle worked for Woolworths and its meat suppliers. In particular, he loves getting his hands on the store’s meat specials.

“The meat was always better and cheaper at Woolies too!” Jai happily exclaimed.

87A40vh8far7MDqxE0Ul0FlhdNBHzYUsvewP7S9Fms3B9iW5BRg4wBMuhzpw9bfNSOSBWPP4jp6UTvyIPelNOki-0rWIoPuDPiCi-2NRfoQPpmDdYQYXVUqy6E1GmWjTPHIfxhlE

Image Credit: OverSixty

Woolworths won over Jai and oh boy, he became a Woolies superfan. For him, it wasn’t only the meat specials that successfully converted him into being their loyal customer for years. Factors such as the store’s distance, overall convenience, and the variety of food item discounts made a huge difference.

“The Bondi Junction location is closer to the train station and the bus stop.” he said.

“I’m also a snack fiend and you can generally find better deals at Woolies for chips, chocolate, lollies and ice cream because Coles likes to make you buy two of an item to get the discount.

“I also find the pre-packaged salads cheaper and easier like the Greek and Creamy & Crunchy kits Woolies has that Coles doesn’t.” he continued explaining.

Unfortunately, his time at discount heaven seemed to be disappearing. The pandemic came into the picture and suddenly, Jai’s go-to meat specials started fading out. Meat prices skyrocketed and Jai was left with no other choice but to hunt for his beloved bargains.

According to the ex-Woolworths fan, there were still a handful of places to look but the options were getting smaller and smaller…

“The only real remaining gold mine at my supermarket is the butcher’s window, where you’ll sometimes find the meat they need to move on fast. This can result in rare finds like Wagyu beef rump and diced lamb but your timing has to be perfect because they get snapped up fast.” he explained.

“But more and more I find myself empty-handed, which on the nights I don’t feel like pasta or tacos requires a five-minute walk across the mall to Coles.”

“Woolies just isn’t ticking the box like it used to… After a 20-year relationship, I’m starting to wonder why I don’t make Coles my first stop.”

And so to Coles, the heartbroken shopper went.

“The meat is pretty comparable these days as Coles has introduced their own slow-cooked range of pork and beef. This week I noticed the Coles Finest range for the first time too, which looks pretty snazzy.”

ZGQKS6GymaAV5PSNbJF-YTti7hWdkaw7FbAUlVE6S6-6H8fkyM6Rstu1W-AzyN7-WyvL3jQNbbnITWvkjA0CfHpJ02o6dE2gxdnaWx3MEggyvStpWc7xRib-xR4JxkehKN4NDi-l

Coles Kitchen Range. Image Credit: 7News

Jai was impressed! He admitted that Coles started to get their salad game together, with the ‘Mexican’ being his new favourite.

He concludes his story with “Woolies won’t lose our custom completely. The free bananas they keep near the entry make visits on weekends with my two-year-old son exponentially easier. But until Woolies starts to meet my expectations again, it’s Coles for me on weekdays.”

Are you team Woolies or team Coles? Share with us your favourite discount haven down in the comments! Sharing is caring (wink).

Can’t decide which team you’re on? Watch a YouTuber compare prices from the two supermarket giants below!

Credit: Krissy Ropiha

Sponsored
Battle of the supermarkets: Loyal Woolworths shopper bids farewell to the store for Coles – “It might be time for a break-up”

Saving money on your weekly grocery shop is not only rewarding, but it can be absolutely therapeutic. Knowing that you have a little bit of money left over that can be spent on other things is sure to reduce financial stress. However, for one customer, these discounts seemed to disappear.

Jai Bednall is a die-hard supermarket fanatic and has turned to Woolworths to get his fix for 20
years. His uncanny love for the supermarket developed since his uncle worked for Woolworths and its meat suppliers. In particular, he loves getting his hands on the store’s meat specials.

87A40vh8far7MDqxE0Ul0FlhdNBHzYUsvewP7S9Fms3B9iW5BRg4wBMuhzpw9bfNSOSBWPP4jp6UTvyIPelNOki-0rWIoPuDPiCi-2NRfoQPpmDdYQYXVUqy6E1GmWjTPHIfxhlE

Woolworths won over Jai and oh boy, he became a Woolies superfan. For him, it wasn’t only the meat specials that successfully converted him into being their loyal customer for years. Factors such as the store’s distance, overall convenience, and the variety of food item discounts made a huge difference.

“The Bondi Junction location is closer to the train station and the bus stop.” he said.

“I’m also a snack fiend and you can generally find better deals at Woolies for chips, chocolate, lollies and ice cream because Coles likes to make you buy two of an item to get the discount.

“I also find the pre-packaged salads cheaper and easier like the Greek and Creamy & Crunchy kits Woolies has that Coles doesn’t.” he continued explaining.

Unfortunately, his time at discount heaven seemed to be disappearing. The pandemic came into the picture and suddenly, Jai’s go-to meat specials started fading out. Meat prices skyrocketed and Jai was left with no other choice but to hunt for his beloved bargains.

According to the ex-Woolworths fan, there were still a handful of places to look but the options were getting smaller and smaller…

“The only real remaining gold mine at my supermarket is the butcher’s window, where you’ll sometimes find the meat they need to move on fast. This can result in rare finds like Wagyu beef rump and diced lamb but your timing has to be perfect because they get snapped up fast.” he explained.

“But more and more I find myself empty-handed, which on the nights I don’t feel like pasta or tacos requires a five-minute walk across the mall to Coles.”

“Woolies just isn’t ticking the box like it used to… After a 20-year relationship, I’m starting to wonder why I don’t make Coles my first stop.”

“The meat is pretty comparable these days as Coles has introduced their own slow-cooked range of pork and beef. This week I noticed the Coles Finest range for the first time too, which looks pretty snazzy.”

ZGQKS6GymaAV5PSNbJF-YTti7hWdkaw7FbAUlVE6S6-6H8fkyM6Rstu1W-AzyN7-WyvL3jQNbbnITWvkjA0CfHpJ02o6dE2gxdnaWx3MEggyvStpWc7xRib-xR4JxkehKN4NDi-l

Jai was impressed! He admitted that Coles started to get their salad game together, with the ‘Mexican’ being his new favourite.

He concludes his story with “Woolies won’t lose our custom completely. The free bananas they keep near the entry make visits on weekends with my two-year-old son exponentially easier. But until Woolies starts to meet my expectations again, it’s Coles for me on weekdays.”

Are you team Woolies or team Coles? Share with us your favourite discount haven down in the comments! Sharing is caring (wink).

Can’t decide which team you’re on? Watch a YouTuber compare prices from the two supermarket giants below!

I found the fresh pet meat I buy my cats has suddenly gone up from $13.75 to $17.00 for 3 kg bag. Yesterday I purchased the same item at Aldi for $13.99. There’s many items I regularly get from Woolies that I will be purchasing at Aldi that are considerably cheaper. Might be “goodbye Woolies” for me as well.

• Sad
Reactions: Peppa and Ricci
I have a Woolies close by (10ks) and over the last 4 months I have had 4 lots of bad meat all within the use by date. I did report two and get a refund. I have always liked Coles but my closest is 45 kms but near my work so I am now shopping more from, especially meat. I have always thought their meat was better. I still go to Woolies for items that I cannot get at Coles but that is all.

• Sad
Reactions: debjane and Ricci
I have felt that my local Woolies has been dropping standards for a long time. Yesterday there were no trolleys and we were told that they were short staffed. Plenty of staff in store preparing deliveries. I also hate what they have been doing by stacking the row ends with heaps of product making aisle access very difficult and I emailed and told Woolies this. I also agree with others that the meat is not what it used to be and have had some very ordinary meat lately. I went to Coles because I wanted something in particular and found their meat and salads were far better than Woolies so I may be moving as well.

• Sad
Reactions: debjane and Ricci

I prefer Coles at the moment, as doing click and collect and they allow us to state NO substitutes (as we have allergies etc) Woolies doesn't

Reactions: Ricci
I prefer Coles at the moment, as doing click and collect and they allow us to state NO substitutes (as we have allergies etc) Woolies doesn't
Yes it does, you can choose no substitutes, some individually or all. There are check boxes next to your purchase list which you tick if you don't mind substitutes, and you can also leave your shopper a note on individual items. If you don't want any substitutes you just make sure none of the boxes are checked.

Reactions: Leeta069
6 of one and 1/2 doz of the other! ALDI and then once a month Woolies to get my 10% (car ins) discount, I make separate lists. Occasionally pop into Coles because its closer and have a browse.

Yes it does, you can choose no substitutes, some individually or all. There are check boxes next to your purchase list which you tick if you don't mind substitutes, and you can also leave your shopper a note on individual items. If you don't want any substitutes you just make sure none of the boxes are checked.
OK, will need to check this out, as never saw that. Thanks

Why not support the independent locally owned. I do! I get some really good buys from my local butcher and I can see it prepared in front of me, so I know it is fresh meat I also support the local IGA and have never yet found any product that is cheaper at the big super market chain. I even started supporting a local farmers market for my green vegies. Not for the cheaper vegies but for the bonus of a day out of the house, a coffee and talking to friends.

I have been a long time Woolies loyalty card fan but recently the loyalty special points have dried up and the store prices on just about every item have increased. To top that all up I got a promotion email from BWS saying they were having a big Mardi Gras promotion and all profits going to those activities. I could not believe it they are treating LBGTI people as though they are in need of funds and help just because of their sexuality. Hey BWS want to donate a few dollars to a real worthy cause how about the hundreds of thousand East Coast Aussies suffering through dramatic floods and guess what there is a small country in Europe being invaded and attacked by the Russians maybe a few bob their way would be a better use of the profits we give you.

Why not support the independent locally owned. I do! I get some really good buys from my local butcher and I can see it prepared in front of me, so I know it is fresh meat I also support the local IGA and have never yet found any product that is cheaper at the big super market chain. I even started supporting a local farmers market for my green vegies. Not for the cheaper vegies but for the bonus of a day out of the house, a coffee and talking to friends.
I also support the fresh markets but sorry have never found IGA to be less expensive.
even with a seniors discount.

Reactions: Gaena and Ricci
As a long time Woolworths shopper I was very disappointed to see that they will be firing staff who declined the Covid vaccine. A so called vaccine that does not prevent you from contracting the virus. I find it abhorrent that they are trying to force staff to take a medical procedure by threatening to take away their livelihood. Good bye Woolworths. I will be shopping elsewhere in future.

• Wow
While still living in the city I was an avid Coles fan and would walk past Woolies to go into Coles for the weekly shop. Since moving into regional areas, it bacame more about convenience and where the closest supermarket was, ease of parking also became an issue for me, I was a confident driver but ill health has made parking a problem for me so I concentrated my weekly shopping around that. We have now moved further out to a fairly remote regional area where the choices of where to shop are vastly more limited. I shop at IGA now as it is the closest but find it does not offer the range of items that I am used to buying, my shopping habits have had to change to accommodate this, Now I shop over a 2 week period, one shop 25km away at the local IGA and Butchers, the folowing week is a round trip of300 km to my preferred Woolies and sometimes Coles as well to pick up theitems not available in Woolies that week, the food items in short supply (I live in WA) have meant I need to shop in all 3 Supermarkets to get the items that I want. Inconvenient yes and some would say I make it harder on myself by being so picky about the items that I want and lets not talk about the cost of the fuel for all this running around just to do the shopping, I average around 450km every 2 weeks

• Wow
We are lucky in the one shopping centre which is also local we have Woolies, Coles and Aldi's and it is not unusual for us to do all three depending just on what we want and well between the pandamic and the shortage of supplies due to the railway going down in flood that it what it takes sometimes to get what you need but even before that we quite often shopped between them but up to about 18 years ago I was team Coles because the the daughter worked there and I wanted to support her.

That is very true Ricci. I leave messages like 'do not squash my bread' and they are very careful of it. I shop at both stores and get exceptional click and collect service from both with the staff greeting me by name every time not because they see it on the bags but because they have good memories and great service skills.
They know my car now and often have my groceries at the ready....cannot complain about either store.

Coles is my go-to supermarket. Woolies is too difficult to get to in the first place. Our Coles has a much better bakery, butcher and deli than the nearest Woolies. Prices at Coles are always good especially the weekly half price specials. The Coles Kitchen meals, soups etc are absolutely delicious with nothing artificial and no preservatives. Besides all that if I need to shop online delivery at Coles is only $ 2 dollars whereas Woolies is $7.

Coles is my go-to supermarket. Woolies is too difficult to get to in the first place. Our Coles has a much better bakery, butcher and deli than the nearest Woolies. Prices at Coles are always good especially the weekly half price specials. The Coles Kitchen meals, soups etc are absolutely delicious with nothing artificial and no preservatives. Besides all that if I need to shop online delivery at Coles is only $ 2 dollars whereas Woolies is $7.
As long as I spend $50 at Woolies then delivery is free. It doesn't take much to get to $50 so I get at least one delivery a week.

I do the same. I go to Super Butcher (Brisbane) for my meat, a farm shop from my veggies, a baker for my bread and shop 90%of the time at IGA. Spreading the money around to those that need it

I have always checked catalogues for all supermarkets near me, Coles, Woolies, IGA and Aldi. I buy 'specials' from the first three and the bulk of my needs are from Aldi. I like to share the love.