Battle of the Generations: Is Smartphone Dominance Excluding Our Seniors?

A recent GransNet discussion revealed that seniors are feeling increasingly excluded in a world rapidly moving towards smartphone integration. In an age of digital parking payments and app-based bank verification, seniors fear they're being left behind.

shutterstock_552964648.jpg
Are you embracing the smartphone? Or are you avoiding it? Tell us all about it! Image source: Shutterstock.

As technology continues to infiltrate every aspect of our daily lives, some seniors are finding themselves struggling to adapt to the increasing reliance on smartphones. In a recent GransNet discussion, an original poster pointed out that they are now expected to pay for parking through their phone, as well as verify their identity via a banking app, but they neither want nor can afford a smartphone.

One commenter suggested that ‘technology is designed to make life easier for governments, local authorities, banks, supermarkets, and every other aspect of life, rather than for the consumer’. They argued that future generations will have no choice but to accept wholesale integration of smartphones into their lives, predicting that the removal of cash transactions is near.

It seems not everyone in the GransNet community is ready to embrace the smartphone revolution. Another commenter detailed their contentment with a 'dumb' phone, stating that they are ‘not complete technophobes but life is quite complicated enough without any more devices.’ Many seniors are often already well-equipped with tablets and personal computers, using them for internet banking and communication.

Others, however, do appreciate the convenience smartphones offer. One user admitted, ‘Wouldn’t want to be without mine now, so handy for all sorts of things.’ This comment highlighted those who are successfully adapting to app-based services and enjoy the benefits that smartphones bring. But there are some who have refused to join the smartphone brigade altogether. ‘I don’t own a smartphone, or any other kind of mobile phone, I hate them,’ said one user, recounting the confusion they felt after receiving an email from their doctor’s surgery instructing them to use an app for appointments and prescriptions.

People who have embraced smartphones warn that individual preferences will eventually become irrelevant, as the world moves towards complete smartphone dependence. ‘Like them or not, your preference not to use a smartphone will soon make a difference to you, because there will be no alternative to using one for so many of the everyday things we do,’ warned another user. Just as their children and grandchildren rely on their phones for everything, soon seniors may be forced into adopting the technology.

But security concerns loom for older generations, who are understandably worried about the risks of digital banking. One commenter shared a conversation they had with a software engineer, who recommended Apple products as the safest option for internet banking (Please note, members, I haven’t been able to find any research to back this statement up).

While the world becomes increasingly reliant on smartphones, it's important to recognise that those who haven't had a lifetime of exposure to this kind of technology may not be able to adapt as easily. The same commenter pointed out that many job applications now require smartphone access, and with bank branches closing rapidly, having a banking app is becoming essential for conducting financial business. They argued that smartphones are ‘not that complicated to use’.

Yet, some seniors prefer to keep their mobile phone usage to a minimum, expressing concerns about the impact of smartphones on their lives. One user cited their hearing impairment as a reason for sticking to their basic phone, which allows them to hear conversations clearly. They also highlighted the potential risks of having one's entire life on a phone, referencing friends who experienced breakdowns after losing their smartphones.

As the dependence on smartphones continues to grow, it's crucial to consider how to ensure all demographics can keep up with the rapid pace of technological advancements. While some seniors are embracing the benefits of smartphones, others either can't afford or simply prefer not to use them. As this GransNet conversation shows, many seniors feel excluded and overwhelmed by the increasing expectation to rely on smartphones.

As our society moves towards a more technologically integrated future, finding a way to bridge the digital divide is essential for our seniors who are struggling to keep up with these rapid changes. It's time for governments, local authorities, and community leaders to reassess their approach to these issues, with empathy and understanding of the unique challenges faced by the older generations. So, what do you think? Are you comfortable with smartphones being integrated into our everyday lives? Or would you rather avoid them? Please share your opinions with me in the comments section below!

Sponsored
Tell me about it.
I tried to buy tickets to an event online and was denied the opportunity to print them to paper.
Rather, I was prompted to send them to my digital envelope. My phone blew a raspberry and pretty much did a digital spit in my eye. Also, on another occasion, I was prompted to go to my phone pay (whatever the hell it was called). I am not adverse to having a go, until the phone says, Pffff ... don't have the capability to perform this function.
Not only is this digital revolution discriminating against those who cannot cope with the changes, also, it is a non-event for those who cannot afford the phone to do the job. Grrrrr!!!
I never thought I would be one of those old folk who thought things were better when. But here I am.

I read this with great interest. I am 72 and very comfortable and confident with most technologies.
My 76yo sister is the absolute opposite and is genuinely fearful of technology. She still lives in the house we were both born in in Edinburgh Scotland.
She struggles to understand why she needs to adopt simple things like free phone calls via assorted apps so pays a fortune in international call charges to talk to me here in Sydney.
I feel really sad for her but am unable to change her mind. Yes, technology can be intrusive but I believe that it provides many more benefits than deficits

I have had a mobile phone for some years now. I don't do searches, banking and most of the other things that one can do with an app on the phone simply because it is my choice. A few years ago my husband would not get one until I said the only reason I want him to have one is because in the event of an accident while he is out by himself no one will know who to contact should he be so incapacitated that he is unable to talk or remember my mobile or landline numbers. He got my old phone and I got a new one! We don't keep any bank details, passwords and such on our phones, just use them to make and receive calls and texts and have contacts listed as well, nothing else.

I also find it annoying that banks are closing at such a fast rate - keep them open for the elderly who are unable to completely change their ways and absorb this technology! One day we will no longer be here and the present generation will be able to keep up with advancing technology. Is it so hard to do? Banks are closing and staff are being sacked as a result of all this technology and governments are saying more people need to look for jobs. Where? Not everyone is tech savvy. I'm fortunate that I can negotiate the internet reasonably well as I worked in an office when more sophisticated technology was advancing and used more often, so have some knowledge of how things work - to a point! But I can see it from the point of view of some of my neighbours who didn't work in an office with such technology before retiring.

Last edited:
I read this with great interest. I am 72 and very comfortable and confident with most technologies.
My 76yo sister is the absolute opposite and is genuinely fearful of technology. She still lives in the house we were both born in in Edinburgh Scotland.
She struggles to understand why she needs to adopt simple things like free phone calls via assorted apps so pays a fortune in international call charges to talk to me here in Sydney.
I feel really sad for her but am unable to change her mind. Yes, technology can be intrusive but I believe that it provides many more benefits than deficits
Just a suggestion - since you say your sister pays a fortune for calls perhaps she could make a quick call to you and you could call her back from your free allowance on your phone. Most, if not all, mobile phone providers have free calls to the UK, USA and a number of other countries. You calling her from your free call allowance would help, I'm sure.

Last edited:
The biggest issue is the cost of a Smartphone to preform the functions required for any sort of Payment or Bank interaction. This excludes a lot of older people as they cannot afford a $1500 smartphone let alone the Mobile plan to allow Data and Voice each month, specially when a lot are on Single Pensions. Think about a cheap plan some are $20 a month but low Data, then the cost of the mobile ???? The other major issue is Mobile coverage outside Capital cites is very poor to none. Australia is a big place and very poor coverage for country locations. Limiting them to only Telstra which do not have cheap plans for Seniors. Look up the costs to see yourself. That is a major issue for any senior person let alone trying to learn how to use the Smartphone. Look at your Grandparents, even great Grandparents.

Just a suggestion - since you say your sister pays a fortune for calls perhaps she could make a quick call to you and you could call her back from your free allowance on your phone. Most, if not all, mobile phone providers have free calls to the UK, USA and a number of other countries. You calling her from your free call allowance would help, I'm sure.
I think the point is that he mentions Apps, older generation do not understand how to use Apps like, Viber, Whatapp, Skype etc. or even a Smartphone

A recent GransNet discussion revealed that seniors are feeling increasingly excluded in a world rapidly moving towards smartphone integration. In an age of digital parking payments and app-based bank verification, seniors fear they're being left behind.

View attachment 17364
Are you embracing the smartphone? Or are you avoiding it? Tell us all about it! Image source: Shutterstock.

As technology continues to infiltrate every aspect of our daily lives, some seniors are finding themselves struggling to adapt to the increasing reliance on smartphones. In a recent GransNet discussion, an original poster pointed out that they are now expected to pay for parking through their phone, as well as verify their identity via a banking app, but they neither want nor can afford a smartphone.

One commenter suggested that ‘technology is designed to make life easier for governments, local authorities, banks, supermarkets, and every other aspect of life, rather than for the consumer’. They argued that future generations will have no choice but to accept wholesale integration of smartphones into their lives, predicting that the removal of cash transactions is near.

It seems not everyone in the GransNet community is ready to embrace the smartphone revolution. Another commenter detailed their contentment with a 'dumb' phone, stating that they are ‘not complete technophobes but life is quite complicated enough without any more devices.’ Many seniors are often already well-equipped with tablets and personal computers, using them for internet banking and communication.

Others, however, do appreciate the convenience smartphones offer. One user admitted, ‘Wouldn’t want to be without mine now, so handy for all sorts of things.’ This comment highlighted those who are successfully adapting to app-based services and enjoy the benefits that smartphones bring. But there are some who have refused to join the smartphone brigade altogether. ‘I don’t own a smartphone, or any other kind of mobile phone, I hate them,’ said one user, recounting the confusion they felt after receiving an email from their doctor’s surgery instructing them to use an app for appointments and prescriptions.

People who have embraced smartphones warn that individual preferences will eventually become irrelevant, as the world moves towards complete smartphone dependence. ‘Like them or not, your preference not to use a smartphone will soon make a difference to you, because there will be no alternative to using one for so many of the everyday things we do,’ warned another user. Just as their children and grandchildren rely on their phones for everything, soon seniors may be forced into adopting the technology.

But security concerns loom for older generations, who are understandably worried about the risks of digital banking. One commenter shared a conversation they had with a software engineer, who recommended Apple products as the safest option for internet banking (Please note, members, I haven’t been able to find any research to back this statement up).

While the world becomes increasingly reliant on smartphones, it's important to recognise that those who haven't had a lifetime of exposure to this kind of technology may not be able to adapt as easily. The same commenter pointed out that many job applications now require smartphone access, and with bank branches closing rapidly, having a banking app is becoming essential for conducting financial business. They argued that smartphones are ‘not that complicated to use’.

Yet, some seniors prefer to keep their mobile phone usage to a minimum, expressing concerns about the impact of smartphones on their lives. One user cited their hearing impairment as a reason for sticking to their basic phone, which allows them to hear conversations clearly. They also highlighted the potential risks of having one's entire life on a phone, referencing friends who experienced breakdowns after losing their smartphones.

As the dependence on smartphones continues to grow, it's crucial to consider how to ensure all demographics can keep up with the rapid pace of technological advancements. While some seniors are embracing the benefits of smartphones, others either can't afford or simply prefer not to use them. As this GransNet conversation shows, many seniors feel excluded and overwhelmed by the increasing expectation to rely on smartphones.

As our society moves towards a more technologically integrated future, finding a way to bridge the digital divide is essential for our seniors who are struggling to keep up with these rapid changes. It's time for governments, local authorities, and community leaders to reassess their approach to these issues, with empathy and understanding of the unique challenges faced by the older generations. So, what do you think? Are you comfortable with smartphones being integrated into our everyday lives? Or would you rather avoid them? Please share your opinions with me in the comments section below!

Reactions: Jarred Santos
It's ironic that you spend a lot of money on a phone so that you can make free phone calls. And if you want to use it for other functions like using the internet, the data can become very expensive.
And the keypads, being so small, make it tricky for people with thick or arthritic fingers. (I'm doing this on a desktop, much more comfortable).

I couldn't be without my smart phone .
I check emails, do banking, add everything including my to do list on my calender.

The question is what cant it di
I've been using one for years.
It's like a computer in your hand and to be honest I never use my computer nor do my kids since they all have Laptops.

If I'm not using my phone then I'm on my tablet

I think the point is that he mentions Apps, older generation do not understand how to use Apps like, Viber, Whatapp, Skype etc. or even a Smartphone
OzBrown, pardon me, but I referred my point specifically to the person who mentioned that his/her sister pays a lot of money making 'phone' calls. I believe I posted my initial reply under his/her post. It had nothing to do with anything or anybody else.

Last edited:
The tecnological terms known only to young mean nothing to us born when a calculator was not even invented. Things go in the cloud (what bloody cloud) how do we get it out of the cloud even if it on a clear day. error 404 is our fault. Push the wrong stupid buttton and you are calling someone in the backstreets of a remote town in Norway. They are an integral part of everyday life for most of us. Most seniors only need to call and text with a min of data, but because major phone companies are more interested in the younger people we miss out yet again.

One of my concerns is that I you do internet banking on my pc, will my mobile phone and mobile phone bill become tax deductible like my PC and net access are when l do banking on line????????????

It's ironic that you spend a lot of money on a phone so that you can make free phone calls. And if you want to use it for other functions like using the internet, the data can become very expensive.
And the keypads, being so small, make it tricky for people with thick or arthritic fingers. (I'm doing this on a desktop, much more comfortable).
Try and find out if your mobile phone, and bills become tax deductible as what your pc, bills and net banking are

View attachment 17364

smart phones and suchlike are really only targeted at the younger generation as they "grow up" with this new technology, and it comes naturally to them just as a baby grows up learning thjngs.
the older generation does get left behind, not only with the smartphones but also with the smart TVs and computers, things need to be updated every so often otherwise (I have found out) you can't access places online as you could say 12 months ago

Of course wait till the hackers work out a way to emulate your phone and sim etc, then the s**t will hit the fan.
Also
After a chain or trail of say 50 transactions and using a physical $50 note as an example that note is still worth $50-. If such as digital payments, credit cards are used then after the chain of 50 transactions the $50 is instead only worth about $5-. Because of the card fee at each transaction most of the $50- is in the hands of the banks.

I embrace technology, I'm pretty clued up and enjoy it,it tests me and I don't want to be left behind. Unfortunately there's a certain amount of seniors that don't trust it. They could probably circumvent it but refuse to do so,I have many friends like that that won't even try saying it's too hard even when I offer to take them through the basics,some don't even own a mobile phone

View attachment 17364

There's to much bullshit that's going on at least when we we're young you had friends that you caught up with as the year's go on the digital age is killing socialising with real people just go out for tea and see how many are staring at their phone 📱 through the night it's woeful and getting tickets to show and events is crap digital the cashless society they are pushing is another thing to so a bomb 💣 could be dropped in the middle of an event and kill hundreds and everyone was staring at their phones 📱

Just a suggestion, use an Aldi Mobile sim and buy an Opel Big Button M mobile for cost effective simplicity all around. I don’t mind technology at all and I find it challenging, but I don’t use it all, so why waste money on what you don’t need or use. I just want something that takes great photos and you don’t have to buy an expensive phone for that.