Bargain Beware: Shocking Discoveries of Mould on Discounted Purchases Exposed!

It's understandable that, when presented with the chance to save a few bucks, most of us would take the opportunity without thinking twice. After all, we all like to get something for less, right?

Shopping around and getting the best deals has been something that all of us here at SDC have become quite adept at.

And these days, with the convenience of online shopping, one can stock up on discounted goods from the comfort of your home.

However, be warned! In our haste to save some money, it's important to remember that there are no guarantees that every discounted item is safe for consumption.

Recently, a shopper took to Reddit to share a photo of some Turkish rolls which were covered in mould.

pasted image 0 (2) (1).png
The shopper was disappointed to find that the marked-down Turkish roll that they purchased from their local Woolies store was covered in mould. Credit: Reddit.

The shopper, who bought the rolls at their local Coles store, said they had purchased the item at a marked-down price of $2.61 instead of the usual $2.75, leaving them to ask whether it's worth it to purchase marked-down items at all if you can't consume them.

'Cheers for a bargain Coles,' the shopper sarcastically wrote.

The post captured the attention of more than 2,400 users, with many of them sharing their own experiences with buying marked-down food items only to find defects when they open the package at home.

One user wrote: 'I actually grabbed a reduced pack today for 1.75. I got home and found it was mouldy and had to toss it.'

'I've had that a few times lately, chalk it up to the hot weather mostly. Mouldy bread and off mince are a common occurrence from our local Coles,' another shared.

A third chimed in: 'The past three times I’ve gone to buy one of those “Ready Chef” lasagnas they’ve been mouldy.'

Another user responded with the story of a salami and cheese stick they found covered in mould, but when they took it to the store employee to dispose of, they were met with a less-than-pleasant response.

The user recalled: 'They looked at me with the meanest look and just said "throw it in the bin".'

'There aren’t even bins in most supermarkets. And the guy looked at me like I was trying to get a discount or something.'

Buying marked-down items is a double-edged sword — on one hand, you want to get the best deals and save as much money as possible. On the other hand, you want to know that the items you buy are safe to consume.

'I know it's on special for a reason,' one user wrote, implying that the product is probably nearing its expiration date, that's why the store decided to slash its price.

For many shoppers, returning mouldy items can prove to be an issue, as some acknowledged that it will cost more to return to the store than the amount that is going to be refunded.

But some shared their tactics on how to get a refund for an item without returning it to the store the same day.

One user suggested: ‘I call them and take a photo and tell them I'll be back in a couple of days to return it as I'm not making a return trip for that.’

'Just take it back next time you go there, not like you won't ever go there ever again,' another recommended.

It’s not only Coles where shoppers have found such issues. Another Reddit user showed a photo of discounted tomatoes they purchased at their local Woolworths, which sadly were also mouldy.

'Nice and fresh from the "fresh food people".' they sarcastically wrote.

They also shared a photo of the pack of tomatoes which indicates that they purchased it for $2.73 instead of its original price of $4.70.

pasted image 0 (1).png
Another shopper shared that the discounted tomatoes they purchased at Coles were also covered in mould. Credit: Reddit.

Similarly, some users shared that they also had purchased marked-down items that have gone bad upon purchase.

One person shared: 'The quick sale items I’ve bought in the past month include three pumpkin risottos which were covered in mould.'

Nevertheless, many users saw the humour in the unfortunate purchases, with some saying that the discounted items usually come with 'free penicillin'.

One user joked: 'That's a good price for penicillin.'

'Now I don't need to buy blue cheese,' another user said, joking about pairing the mould of the bread with some cheese to match the flavour.

Key Takeaways

• A shopper took to Reddit to share a photo of a pack of Turkish rolls from Coles, which appeared to be mouldy.
  • The post elicited many responses from other shoppers who shared their own bad experiences with marked-down items from Coles and Woolworths.
  • Some noted that purchasing marked-down items may come with consequences due to near-expiry dates and quality.
  • However, many saw the humour in the incident and joked about the expense coming with 'free penicillin'.

It seems that the moral of the story is that discounted items can be a bit of a gamble - more so when an item is near its expiry date.

However, shoppers can still be mindful of which discounted items they purchase by doing some extra research.

Here are a few tips to minimise their chances of getting mouldy items:

1. Make sure the item is well within its use-by date.
2. Never buy pre-packaged items that look like they have been opened or tampered with.
3. If you have any doubts about the quality of any item, it’s always better to choose something else.
4. Thoroughly inspect the item before popping it in your trolley.

There you have it, folks! Have you ever had a disappointing experience of purchasing a discounted item only to find out it’s not fit for consumption? Tell us about it in the comments below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
It's understandable that, when presented with the chance to save a few bucks, most of us would take the opportunity without thinking twice. After all, we all like to get something for less, right?

Shopping around and getting the best deals has been something that all of us here at SDC have become quite adept at.

And these days, with the convenience of online shopping, one can stock up on discounted goods from the comfort of your home.

However, be warned! In our haste to save some money, it's important to remember that there are no guarantees that every discounted item is safe for consumption.

Recently, a shopper took to Reddit to share a photo of some Turkish rolls which were covered in mould.

View attachment 13322
The shopper was disappointed to find that the marked-down Turkish roll that they purchased from their local Woolies store was covered in mould. Credit: Reddit.

The shopper, who bought the rolls at their local Coles store, said they had purchased the item at a marked-down price of $2.61 instead of the usual $2.75, leaving them to ask whether it's worth it to purchase marked-down items at all if you can't consume them.

The post captured the attention of more than 2,400 users, with many of them sharing their own experiences with buying marked-down food items only to find defects when they open the package at home.

One user wrote: 'I actually grabbed a reduced pack today for 1.75. I got home and found it was mouldy and had to toss it.'

'I've had that a few times lately, chalk it up to the hot weather mostly. Mouldy bread and off mince are a common occurrence from our local Coles,' another shared.

A third chimed in: 'The past three times I’ve gone to buy one of those “Ready Chef” lasagnas they’ve been mouldy.'

Another user responded with the story of a salami and cheese stick they found covered in mould, but when they took it to the store employee to dispose of, they were met with a less-than-pleasant response.

The user recalled: 'They looked at me with the meanest look and just said "throw it in the bin".'

'There aren’t even bins in most supermarkets. And the guy looked at me like I was trying to get a discount or something.'

Buying marked-down items is a double-edged sword — on one hand, you want to get the best deals and save as much money as possible. On the other hand, you want to know that the items you buy are safe to consume.

'I know it's on special for a reason,' one user wrote, implying that the product is probably nearing its expiration date, that's why the store decided to slash its price.

For many shoppers, returning mouldy items can prove to be an issue, as some acknowledged that it will cost more to return to the store than the amount that is going to be refunded.

But some shared their tactics on how to get a refund for an item without returning it to the store the same day.

One user suggested: ‘I call them and take a photo and tell them I'll be back in a couple of days to return it as I'm not making a return trip for that.’

'Just take it back next time you go there, not like you won't ever go there ever again,' another recommended.

It’s not only Coles where shoppers have found such issues. Another Reddit user showed a photo of discounted tomatoes they purchased at their local Woolworths, which sadly were also mouldy.

They also shared a photo of the pack of tomatoes which indicates that they purchased it for $2.73 instead of its original price of $4.70.

View attachment 13321
Another shopper shared that the discounted tomatoes they purchased at Coles were also covered in mould. Credit: Reddit.

Similarly, some users shared that they also had purchased marked-down items that have gone bad upon purchase.

One person shared: 'The quick sale items I’ve bought in the past month include three pumpkin risottos which were covered in mould.'

Nevertheless, many users saw the humour in the unfortunate purchases, with some saying that the discounted items usually come with 'free penicillin'.

'Now I don't need to buy blue cheese,' another user said, joking about pairing the mould of the bread with some cheese to match the flavour.

Key Takeaways

• A shopper took to Reddit to share a photo of a pack of Turkish rolls from Coles, which appeared to be mouldy.
  • The post elicited many responses from other shoppers who shared their own bad experiences with marked-down items from Coles and Woolworths.
  • Some noted that purchasing marked-down items may come with consequences due to near-expiry dates and quality.
  • However, many saw the humour in the incident and joked about the expense coming with 'free penicillin'.

It seems that the moral of the story is that discounted items can be a bit of a gamble - more so when an item is near its expiry date.

However, shoppers can still be mindful of which discounted items they purchase by doing some extra research.

2. Never buy pre-packaged items that look like they have been opened or tampered with.
3. If you have any doubts about the quality of any item, it’s always better to choose something else.

There you have it, folks! Have you ever had a disappointing experience of purchasing a discounted item only to find out it’s not fit for consumption? Tell us about it in the comments below!
Yes we have all bought fresh that wasn't quite. Still gets back to CHECKING , especially the prepacked goods .
I once bought a loaf that had a golf ball size hole through the centre half. NO I didn't highlight it on FB, naming and shaming . YES I took photos and emailed the manufacturer and nicely brought the situation to their attention. Received an apology and a thank you for bringing it to their notice AND credit voucher.

View attachment 13322

View attachment 13321

Key Takeaways

My purchase was a non discounted 500g pack of mince beef from Woolworths which I was going to use in tacos. The expiry date was 3 days away and it had been properly refrigerated but was definitely off so as not to waste it I cooked it for the dog who did not mind. An expensive meal for the dog at $9!

View attachment 13322

View attachment 13321

Key Takeaways

On a number of occasions I have received goods either within a day of use by date or several days past, over ripe fruit etc, I think the packers are instructed to do so to get rid of product in-store shoppers would reject

View attachment 13322

View attachment 13321

Key Takeaways

I get fed with finding things not quite right in these supermarkets, so much so that I now buy the meat I require and then mince it myself. I've found that it's often better to shop in your local Not Quite Right store if you have one nearby.

Reactions: debjoel21

View attachment 13322

View attachment 13321

Key Takeaways

Had the Turkish bread before it seemed moist in the packaging looked at the instructions it is thaw for your convenience otherwise it an't fresh it frozen and doesn't last long after opening the other thing I won't buy unless cut fresh while I'm standing there is their deli meat's (Woolworths and Coles) reason the left over is wrapped up and put in storage to the next day so there is no guarantee that it fresh the wife an't as fussy and sometimes buys it and a couple of days later it's slimy fresh food people bullshit

I get fed with finding things not quite right in these supermarkets, so much so that I now buy the meat I require and then mince it myself. I've found that it's often better to shop in your local Not Quite Right store if you have one nearby.
Thnk yoi

Sorry for the typo, I meant to say thank you
o

Reactions: Defiant540